OMG stop releasing 4*s every 5 minutes!!!!

Handoftheking26
Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Ok reasons as follows: 1. You are making it nigh impossible to attain, let alone cover to a playable level, any new character. 2. You are severely diluting the cover pool. How can I get the covers i need if a new character is added every other week? 3. Sorry to be harsh, but many of these new characters are meh at best. For every Winter Soldier there is a Drax and a Mr. F.

I understand the game makes money when people are forced to buy slots at 1k a piece. But this is ridiculous, just my opinion.

P.S. Since 40 was the magic number for 3*s, does that mean the same for 4*s? Because we getting awful close to 40 now....so then what?

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll have just enough HP to roster Winter Soldier, but I don't have Quake yet. I won't have room for IM 5*, Cap 5* or War Machine... With essentials requiring 2*, 3* and 4*, there's very few I'm willing to drop.

Already dropped Bag-man for Drax... teardrop...
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been asking for at least 18 months to scale resources (ISO/HP/roster slots/now cp?) with every release they do. No reason to put out more new characters and not allow your newest players the chance to ever even stay even with vets, much less catch up.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    At least they could add more 4 stars to vaults to better reflect their large number. 3-4 per vault often two of the same character just isn't cutting it anymore.
  • Razamataz
    Razamataz Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Blame the whales icon_lol.gif
    Since they made CP an extra with bought stuff buy clubs have been set up dumping tons of cash into game every time a new character comes out,
    So every new toon dumps a fat paycheck on there desk so they'll just continue to churn out variant characters to get an extra boost of profit.
    So to them it's best to dump as many toons as poss to get cash rather than spending resources fixing the game a bit,by maybe creating new stories instead of same old pve's with overpowered 1stars that are more powerful than 4stars and thats when ur rosters not been 70 percent locked down icon_lol.gif
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    JVReal wrote:
    I'll have just enough HP to roster Winter Soldier, but I don't have Quake yet. I won't have room for IM 5*, Cap 5* or War Machine... With essentials requiring 2*, 3* and 4*, there's very few I'm willing to drop.

You should have dropped bagman a long time ago!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok reasons as follows: 1. You are making it nigh impossible to attain, let alone cover to a playable level, any new character. 2. You are severely diluting the cover pool. How can I get the covers i need if a new character is added every other week? 3. Sorry to be harsh, but many of these new characters are meh at best. For every Winter Soldier there is a Drax and a Mr. F.

I understand the game makes money when people are forced to buy slots at 1k a piece. But this is ridiculous, just my opinion.

P.S. Since 40 was the magic number for 3*s, does that mean the same for 4*s? Because we getting awful close to 40 now....so then what?

Welcome to September 2015. The grueling release schedule has been among the top player complaints since before the first anniversary event. There has been no change and almost no comment at all from the devs. Don't expect it to change anytime soon (or really ever).
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor

Dear disgruntled forum user #150789905

1. You don't NEED to collect them all. Believe it or not, you don't need to own, level, or cover every single release. I rather like Drax, so I pulled him in, otherwise I didn't bother with a lot of the new releases because I don't care of them. It's not an obligation to me. They can release 4* every 2 weeks because I'm aware that I'm not the only player, nor is my opinion the only one that matters. Given the number of people in the game, most characters will resonate well with some more than others. We can't deny them the option because you feel like it's your life's mission to slot every single one and you don't like them all. Look at them, if you don't like them then don't get them.

2. See number 1. The pool already has a low draw chance, adding in one more character isn't going to suddenly plummet your chances any significant amount.

3. See number 1. No one is asking you to slot Drax or Mr. Fantastic. I did though. I shouldn't be denied because you didn't bother to read up on the character and make a decision before investing.

As to the rest, my roster slots cost 560 and it's been that way for a while. I got some good 4*s I'm working on, ones I rather enjoy using and bring an interesting dynamic, and usually if I get a new one I like I'll sell an old 3* I don't want to use (Squirrel Girl, ect) and just fill it in. Notably because I also don't feel the need to roster every 2* and 3* in the game either. I never understood the logic.

Even if they didn't release new ones, your only real sources are legendary tokens which are random, or command points which take a bit, OR PvP progression which is specific and you're either earning anyways or can pick and choose. You're unlikely to be covering or leveling your characters any clear amount faster even without a new release, the only difference is some people won't get the chance to find the character that fits best for them.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I usually get 4-5 covers for every new release. But it doesn't even matter if they're good or bad...i don't have the ISO to level them anyhow.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Darknes21 wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

You should have dropped bagman a long time ago!

Ah, but Bagman gives you a Legendary token when you champion him to level 144. (Well worth the investment of ISO for yet another Baglady green.) I'll sell mine when I've collected another 38 covers.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    I usually get 4-5 covers for every new release. But it doesn't even matter if they're good or bad...i don't have the ISO to level them anyhow.

And then what? I mean, if iso was not a problem (which of course it is, and a very big one)

We can win a different 4 every 90 days(!!!!) as progression reward for 1000 in PvP, then we have the top10 for PvE which is really hard and the top1 for PvP which it is even harder, and that's it, then we depend on how lucky we are with our LT pulls. Not even buying covers is possible (at 120CPS that is too much, and the 3-4% tokens exist just when the char is released, which are the only ones that have a % not horrible). So, my Nova is still 3/1/3, my Gwen 1/2/1 (I just won one cover in her PvE debut), and my Punisher 3/3/1 and Quake 1/3/3. That is nuts. Right now the only people maxing chars are the super whales in buyer's clubs, that's it. I still want to max Punisher and Nova specially because they look really good but I am not going to be able until 3 or 4 months!!!!

They really need to fix this and the iso problem...
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:

1. You don't NEED to collect them all. Believe it or not, you don't need to own, level, or cover every single release. I rather like Drax, so I pulled him in, otherwise I didn't bother with a lot of the new releases because I don't care of them. It's not an obligation to me. They can release 4* every 2 weeks because I'm aware that I'm not the only player, nor is my opinion the only one that matters. Given the number of people in the game, most characters will resonate well with some more than others. We can't deny them the option because you feel like it's your life's mission to slot every single one and you don't like them all. Look at them, if you don't like them then don't get them.

2. See number 1. The pool already has a low draw chance, adding in one more character isn't going to suddenly plummet your chances any significant amount.

3. See number 1. No one is asking you to slot Drax or Mr. Fantastic. I did though. I shouldn't be denied because you didn't bother to read up on the character and make a decision before investing.

As to the rest, my roster slots cost 560 and it's been that way for a while. I got some good 4*s I'm working on, ones I rather enjoy using and bring an interesting dynamic, and usually if I get a new one I like I'll sell an old 3* I don't want to use (Squirrel Girl, ect) and just fill it in. Notably because I also don't feel the need to roster every 2* and 3* in the game either. I never understood the logic.

Even if they didn't release new ones, your only real sources are legendary tokens which are random, or command points which take a bit, OR PvP progression which is specific and you're either earning anyways or can pick and choose. You're unlikely to be covering or leveling your characters any clear amount faster even without a new release, the only difference is some people won't get the chance to find the character that fits best for them.

I'm not going to argue with this as I myself don't feel the need to get every charavter, however the developers have created a system where to be competitive players need every character for the essential nodes. Once a player has finished with a high placement in a couple of story events they like those rewards, not just the final placement rewards but all the progression and individual node rewards. After experiencing such high rewards it's a hell of a come down to just be getting the scraps, it is almost an addiction and top alliances don't help by using peer pressure to keep up. It's usually a case of score high or you will be replaced.

D3 is feeding this addiction by keeping up with a very aggressive release schedule, and they have to. For every new release I would imagine that there are a couple of thousand players that in the event will spend big on token packs to get a fair few cover of the new release, that way by the time the following versus event starts they have a better than average featured to help place high and nab more covers.

You are of course correct in saying that players don't need every character, unless if course you want those sweet top rewards all the time. To gets the highs you have to pay the dealer's and F2P is a business model that is very greatly geared to trying to exploit people addictive nature's, it's also why odds are so low in tokens to appeal to the gamblers out there and to be honest I am a little surprised that minors are allowed to purchase token packs with the gambling overtures.
  • Blahahah
    Linkster79 wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

I'm not going to argue with this as I myself don't feel the need to get every charavter, however the developers have created a system where to be competitive players need every character for the essential nodes. Once a player has finished with a high placement in a couple of story events they like those rewards, not just the final placement rewards but all the progression and individual node rewards. After experiencing such high rewards it's a hell of a come down to just be getting the scraps, it is almost an addiction and top alliances don't help by using peer pressure to keep up. It's usually a case of score high or you will be replaced.

D3 is feeding this addiction by keeping up with a very aggressive release schedule, and they have to. For every new release I would imagine that there are a couple of thousand players that in the event will spend big on token packs to get a fair few cover of the new release, that way by the time the following versus event starts they have a better than average featured to help place high and nab more covers.

You are of course correct in saying that players don't need every character, unless if course you want those sweet top rewards all the time. To gets the highs you have to pay the dealer's and F2P is a business model that is very greatly geared to trying to exploit people addictive nature's, it's also why odds are so low in tokens to appeal to the gamblers out there and to be honest I am a little surprised that minors are allowed to purchase token packs with the gambling overtures.
    For PvE, perhaps, however what you're describing is a purely personal and self-inflicted issue. Not only do not all people feel that (I certainly don't), but you're describing an incredibly small percentage of the population of this game. Even with their input, if it's merely for self-interest then they can't blame D3 for it. If, for them to feel or be competitive, they must compare funding to those whom have such disposable income, then it doesn't take much to realize you're losing to market power in a way that can't be sustained.

I have no pity for the upper crust, believe me, however I'm not enough of a fool to think that I can or should maintain anything more than maybe $100 every three months on this game. It's not that I don't like the developers, quite the opposite I buy simply to support the game I enjoy, but I'm also aware that someone who can put in 10x more than me at any given time isn't someone I can compete with without coming near that investment. That's not to say I haven't "whaled" in a way, of course presents on Christmas and Easter my input goes quite up there, however at the end of the day the "competitive" side of the game I experience just fine. Since I didn't buy into it to try and wrestle with PvE big sluggers, my bracketing is quite nice and I don't even need to pull optimal clears or even more than 2 clears on a node to get top 50 or so. Likewise with PvP, I pulled 1st place by a margin of about 300 pts on the Drax PvP and only passed the 1k mark by a slim margin.

So forgive me if I'm ignorant to the struggle, but it sounds like a thing that people do to themselves. To compete, they buy in, which means they are in those high brackets, which means they continue to go against those to which they must buy-in to compare. Progression rewards, yeah maybe. 25cp has it's place, no doubt about that, but honestly I can't see blaming d3 for releasing a plethora of fun and unique characters, under the idea that they are having some big sinister plot to fuel addictions. Even before they released new 4*s each week, the prices and outputs were the same. 5*s now are 4*s then, 4*s now are 3*s then, and it all continues.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    *MOVED TO SUGGESTIONS THREAD*

lol

Drop some cash, get some HP, buy some roster slots. Or don't.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I say thank goodness for new characters every 5 minutes. After spending a boatload of money, I now own all of the Avengers, Young Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Pet Avengers, Alpha Flight, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (watch out for my Fitz/Simmons combo!), the Sinister Six, The Inhumans, the Morlocks. the Impossible Man, and Obnoxio the Clown.
  • Vhailorx
    Blahahah

I think it is absolutely fair game to criticize the release rate.

Sure, players don't NEED to collect every character. But the game is clearly designed to incentivize having at large roster with at least one of every character. And given that collecting all those characters and buying all those roster slots is either very time consuming, very expensive, or both, I think it's fair to discuss the frankly ridiculous cost of getting the "full" experience in this game.

Now has always been aggressively monetized, even relative to the standards of other f2p mobile games. It's appropriate for players to express their frustration with that fact.

(however, I would also point out to TC that the devs clearly know that players dislike this release schedule and they aren't going to do anything about it.)
  • Blahahah
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Blahahah

I think it is absolutely fair game to criticize the release rate.

Sure, players don't NEED to collect every character. But the game is clearly designed to incentivize having at large roster with at least one of every character. And given that collecting all those characters and buying all those roster slots is either very time consuming, very expensive, or both, I think it's fair to discuss the frankly ridiculous cost of getting the "full" experience in this game.

Now has always been aggressively monetized, even relative to the standards of other f2p mobile games. It's appropriate for players to express their frustration with that fact.

(however, I would also point out to TC that the devs clearly know that players dislike this release schedule and they aren't going to do anything about it.)

I disagree on almost all points.

I think it's fair game to criticize the idea of needing every single character. Clearly designed, yet the people who would need that are in the top 1% of players? Please, spare me. The "full" experience sounds more like the "fool" experience to me. The roster system is designed so you can bring a roster of your favorite characters and combinations, and add new members as you see fit. It's not made as a checklist where you have to pay for every additional box.

It's always been that way. Only difference is more characters, and less incentive to collect every single one. It's appropriate to express frustration in the way that it's appropriate to express frustration in the cost of owning 87 puppies when you clearly don't need that many. Even if you give the reasoning of "Well if I don't have every puppy, how am I supposed to have the full experience", people would probably point out that 87 puppies is excessive, and there's probably not a huge market of people who think that you need to own all 87 puppies in order to enjoy the experience.

And hey, if you're that bothered about it, just stop buying the slots. Eventually either the developer will stop making more 4*s because they've released all they care to, or they'll see their roster monies drop from the 1% of people buying them for every single character needlessly and they'll address the issue. A sort of protest that protects your wallet, as it were. What sense does it make to buy into a system you both clearly don't agree with and don't enjoy being part of? And before you restate any of your points, keep in mind the only person who is requiring you to be competitive to this degree is you and no one else. You are buying into it, so don't complain like they're stealing your money in some dubious plot because you, and no one except for you, is making you invest in it in the first place.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    I got frustrated with a lot in this game... Then i found myself trying to optimize my play in such that I could get as much out of it by playing as little as possible.

I played less, and less, and less...

Soon I realized, the only true way to win is to not even bother playing at all. It feels so much better now. I now just basically pop in to the forums to see if any major changes are coming, and play maybe 1 match a day to move the daily draw forward.

Thats it. Winning never felt this good.
  • Vhailorx
    Wow, blahahah, we clearly have a very different view of the game and the appropriate space for player criticism.

I won't respond in detail to your post as i suspect it would get us nowhere in the end. But rest assured I continue to disagree with you on almost all respects!

And kalex, I agree! Stepping back from competitive play is a wonderfully relaxing feeling. Enjoy the break!
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:
    For PvE, perhaps, however what you're describing is a purely personal and self-inflicted issue. Not only do not all people feel that (I certainly don't), but you're describing an incredibly small percentage of the population of this game. Even with their input, if it's merely for self-interest then they can't blame D3 for it. If, for them to feel or be competitive, they must compare funding to those whom have such disposable income, then it doesn't take much to realize you're losing to market power in a way that can't be sustained.

I have no pity for the upper crust, believe me, however I'm not enough of a fool to think that I can or should maintain anything more than maybe $100 every three months on this game. It's not that I don't like the developers, quite the opposite I buy simply to support the game I enjoy, but I'm also aware that someone who can put in 10x more than me at any given time isn't someone I can compete with without coming near that investment. That's not to say I haven't "whaled" in a way, of course presents on Christmas and Easter my input goes quite up there, however at the end of the day the "competitive" side of the game I experience just fine. Since I didn't buy into it to try and wrestle with PvE big sluggers, my bracketing is quite nice and I don't even need to pull optimal clears or even more than 2 clears on a node to get top 50 or so. Likewise with PvP, I pulled 1st place by a margin of about 300 pts on the Drax PvP and only passed the 1k mark by a slim margin.

So forgive me if I'm ignorant to the struggle, but it sounds like a thing that people do to themselves. To compete, they buy in, which means they are in those high brackets, which means they continue to go against those to which they must buy-in to compare. Progression rewards, yeah maybe. 25cp has it's place, no doubt about that, but honestly I can't see blaming d3 for releasing a plethora of fun and unique characters, under the idea that they are having some big sinister plot to fuel addictions. Even before they released new 4*s each week, the prices and outputs were the same. 5*s now are 4*s then, 4*s now are 3*s then, and it all continues.

The whole free to play business model is based on exploitation. These games are not designed first and foremost to be fun (although that is a big part of it) but to make money. Developers jobs in the F2P market is to draw players in and get them hooked enough to keep them playing and paying. A very refreshing and honest interview by a F2P developer can be found here http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29983/GDC_Europe_To_Succeed_In_FreeToPlay_Exploit_Human_Weaknesses.php
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Blahahah wrote:

1. You don't NEED to collect them all. Believe it or not, you don't need to own, level, or cover every single release...
    Yeah, guys... exactly. Sell everything except for 5* covers. You wont need anything else for PvE or PvP.
    And dont forget to tell DEVs they made almost 100 useless covers. Covers that you dont have to own or upgrade.