30CP Stark/Rogers Legendary tokens - worth it?

Quebbster
Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, per the announcement we will get special legendary tokens for 30CP where you have a 10% chance for a given fivestar (Iron Man or Captain America). Will you be buying these special packs?
I am a bit torn myself since my OML is still 2/5/0, and once Civil War is over the odds of getting OML presumably decreases. On the other hand, Iron Man looks dang tempting (philosophically I am on Cap's side, but who has time for those considerations?).

Comments

• ESN91
    ESN91 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    I think I'll try 1 or 2 purchases (have got 650 CP)
    If I'm lucky, I'll probably buy more
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    1 in 10 chance, and you need 5-6 covers to make him usable. 6 out of 60 would be good result. 1800 CP burned. From regular LT you get 9 5* covers with some chance it's OML (risk involved as you have 5 in one color). I think I would take the classic one.

There is still a question of 4* in the packs. Eg if the 30 cp one has only the affiliated 4* it might be more tempting.
  • Quebbster
    Magic wrote:
    1 in 10 chance, and you need 5-6 covers to make him usable. 6 out of 60 would be good result. 1800 CP burned. From regular LT you get 9 5* covers with some chance it's OML (risk involved as you have 5 in one color). I think I would take the classic one.

There is still a question of 4* in the packs. Eg if the 30 cp one has only the affiliated 4* it might be more tempting.
    I should mention I have four fivestar colors maxed out - OML is 2/5/0, Phoenix is 5/1/5 (and I keep pulling greens...), and Silver Surfer is 1/0/5. So it's almost a 50% chance I'll get a fivestar cover I can't use.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    That is pretty much an answer. You might consider latest LT for 5 cp less but with the risk of Phoenix green. If you have 2k CP spare go for Iron man (probably better than captain) and enjoy. It not - would one or two covers make any difference ?
  • Quebbster
    Magic wrote:
    That is pretty much an answer. You might consider latest LT for 5 cp less but with the risk of Phoenix green. If you have 2k CP spare go for Iron man (probably better than captain) and enjoy. It not - would one or two covers make any difference ?
    My CP stash at the moment is in the single digit range. icon_e_smile.gif Might save up until the second run and see how much I have then - the Classic odds won't change Before then at least.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the same 1/10 chance as a Classic LT for 1,5 times the price that only gets you covers for a character you will have at most 1 cover of, the answer is easy. Classic LTs forever.

Naturally it would help if my draw rate wasn't drastically below 5% (2/45 this season).
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Just my opinion, but I don't think it would be worth it for the majority of players. Sure, if you are one of the few with a ton of CP in the bank, go for it. But most players are still building their 4 star rosters and are better served to spend the CP on the 20CP LT.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    I can barely pull a 5* at the moment with a 10% chance for one of the three characters. I don't see it changing with 10% for one character.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    I've got 17cp at the moment so I should easily have enough for one at least by the time the Hulk event is over. Depending on the result I may get more ( yellowflag.pngicon_invisiblewoman.png is the magic 8-ball saying "You choose poorly").

At this point, it's a fair chance of getting a 4* I would have to sell anyway whether I'm spending 20 or 30 cp, so why not one try? Spirit of the event and all that. I do wish the Cap and IM LT's were weighted toward the 4 stars affiliated to each side. Depending on your roster, that might actually make a difference, but alas.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    i have 200 cp right now and almost not even intersted in this stupid event.. why having another 5 star will kill my scaling and just think of the people who are just starting out at 3 stars this event will kill them... those who have a good 3 star team 2 5 stars wont do much but if you get 3 when you play PVP your going right into max 166 or better teams... just think of people with just 2 star get 2 5 stars it will kill them and will be nothing more then a waste of time for them..
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's one of those things where it's going to be a different answer for each player. For me, there's no point. Classic tokens are my best bet. I have two of the 3 5* champed, 12 covers with only one power at 5 for the third, and the one rotating in (BSSM) is my next project. Until all 4 of those characters are done I have no reason to move to any other tokens. By the time those 4 are done, a new 5* will likely be in the pack so it'll still be my best bet.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not worth it at all. I'll do the 20 CP route every time, unless forced to use a token.

My OML is lv 405, so I'd love to get more OMLs! My SS and Ph have a decent amount of covers, but not enough to start leveling up yet. I'd love to get a few more so that they become useful, especially the Ph (SS never becomes useful until he's championed or higher, except in PVE).

Not interested in new 5*s that I'll never get to use! They're just shiny baubles for now. I don't have any GG yet, and I only have 2 BSS's so far. And I'll probably win a few of these newfangled 5*s, but not enough for them to be useful.
  • It's one of those things where it's going to be a different answer for each player. For me, there's no point. Classic tokens are my best bet. I have two of the 3 5* champed, 12 covers with only one power at 5 for the third, and the one rotating in (BSSM) is my next project. Until all 4 of those characters are done I have no reason to move to any other tokens. By the time those 4 are done, a new 5* will likely be in the pack so it'll still be my best bet.
    I don't know about this. For me it depends on how they deal with 4+ characters in classic tokens. If they decrease the odds to 2.5%....2%....1.7%....1.4%...etc. for each individual character then the classic tokens become less and less useful as you champ your 5*s. But once the event is over Latest tokens will have GG, Cap, and IM. All 3 better than BSS/SS at first glance. I'm thinking of saving my CP until then and buying latest tokens until GG rotates out (depending on who the 8th 5* is) to try to help cover those better characters more quickly in the very long term. The thinking here is that 6 months down the road I'm better off having five usable 5*s between 360-420 than two champed 5*s. I don't want to get to the point where I'm buying classic LTs that have all 7 known 5*s at 1.4% hoping to get GG/Cap/IM and wishing I had spent the extra 5 CP earlier when I had a 3.3% chance to get them.

For reference my current cover count for SS/OML/JG/BSS/GG is 5/8/11/3/0.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Forgive my ignorance, but where are people getting that the current rate for 5 star.png is 10%. I've seen this a few times in a couple threads. In the leg token page it has all 5 star.png odds at 3.3%.
    Looks to me like 10% is 3x better than 3.3%. So, for me personally, 30cp for 3x the odds seems like a good deal to me.

So, if I'm mistaken, can someone please let me know where I'm going wrong or if I've missed something?

JJ
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the grand scheme of things just looking at EV (expected value), you can see that it's not worth it, but for that matter "Latest" Legend tokens wouldn't be worth it either. The question is how much of a premium you're willing to pay to attempt to get a 5* well-covered. My guess is Medium sized whales might go this route since at 300 cp average per cover (of the character you want), it is "cheaper" than waiting for latest legends, which would be 750 cp average per cover (again for that specific character). So, if you are really interested in either cap OR iron man, but not both, and don't care too much for GG either, then you might decide to go this route. For the super whales and the mini-whales/FTPers, these special LTs don't make a whole lot of sense since both groups are going for volume of covers and not so much interested in specific ones.

tl;dr - large spenders/hoarders who are interested in getting one usable 5* might go this route as it is the cheapest way to get ONE usable 5*. No one else should due to poor 5*/cp ratio.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Forgive my ignorance, but where are people getting that the current rate for 5 star.png is 10%. I've seen this a few times in a couple threads. In the leg token page it has all 5 star.png odds at 3.3%.
    Looks to me like 10% is 3x better than 3.3%. So, for me personally, 30cp for 3x the odds seems like a good deal to me.

So, if I'm mistaken, can someone please let me know where I'm going wrong or if I've missed something?

JJ

I think they're speaking generally for a 5 * chance, not one specific 5* character (as it will be in the CIVIL WAR event). Those three 3.3% add up to the 10% they reference.

We're kinda of getting into a apple and oranges situation here since the LT tokens work differently. The event will give you a 10 % chance at a specific new character vs 10% chance of getting one of three 5* characters (but may add to an existing character they've been building. )

If you don't have ANY 5 *'s, these 30cp LT's would be an excellent way to focus build your first. But if you've already been working on 4 or 5 other five stars, the cheaper LT's a seem like a better investment for the cost.

Still going for one of the new LT's myself, but I understand the decision to stick to the 20 cp version.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2016
    I have some CPs saved, so I could potentially spend those for IM covers, but I guess the clever thing to do is spend those CPs in classic tokens BEFORE Spidey gets in, so I can pull as many OML (10 covers) or Phoenix (7 covers) as possible.
    It's one of those things where it's going to be a different answer for each player. For me, there's no point. Classic tokens are my best bet. I have two of the 3 5* champed, 12 covers with only one power at 5 for the third, and the one rotating in (BSSM) is my next project. Until all 4 of those characters are done I have no reason to move to any other tokens. By the time those 4 are done, a new 5* will likely be in the pack so it'll still be my best bet.
    I don't know about this. For me it depends on how they deal with 4+ characters in classic tokens. If they decrease the odds to 2.5%....2%....1.7%....1.4%...etc. for each individual character then the classic tokens become less and less useful as you champ your 5*s. But once the event is over Latest tokens will have GG, Cap, and IM. All 3 better than BSS/SS at first glance. I'm thinking of saving my CP until then and buying latest tokens until GG rotates out (depending on who the 8th 5* is) to try to help cover those better characters more quickly in the very long term. The thinking here is that 6 months down the road I'm better off having five usable 5*s between 360-420 than two champed 5*s. I don't want to get to the point where I'm buying classic LTs that have all 7 known 5*s at 1.4% hoping to get GG/Cap/IM and wishing I had spent the extra 5 CP earlier when I had a 3.3% chance to get them.

For reference my current cover count for SS/OML/JG/BSS/GG is 5/8/11/3/0.

Then when Spidey gets in, I agree with PeterGibbons316 and I will also probably do that, buy latest LTs to get as many GG, IM, Cap covers as possible until the new 5 comes in (I hope in the very distant future), because two of those 5 (GG,IM) are the best of the best (in classic there is OML which is the other super 5 but by then just at a rate of 2.5%).

PS: Buuuuut IM is soooooo shiny...
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    For players like KD who have everything else championed and done, the 30 CP Legendary Event Tokens are great. They can pound out a couple more 5*s giving them something new to do. For me? I still need 9 OML covers, it would be a tragic waste for me to be buying these. Madness. This situation beggars the question though - I get that the devs need to keep super whales happy. They are the backbone of the game and for that they always have my gratitude. Except when they are pulping me. I get that the devs need to keep them interested and happy. But when are they going to throw guys like me who have spent a couple hundred bucks a bone? Why can't I have a pooch kick for an easy 4* cover once in a while? Why can't I get my tiny little trickle of iso increased? I'm never going to buy iso but if I could actually do anything with covers once I got them I might spend on some cover packs. I spent about $40 on packs for the Valentines vault and pulled 4 high value 4* covers. I'm wiling to do that if you would just work with me a little. Stinginess with the rewards is doing more to hurt this game than anything else.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    As somebody who is well below the 10% rate of 5* from Legendary Tokens, no it isn't worth it. Even at a 50% rate it would be touch and go as there will always be winners and losers. D3 need to get this randomness factor out of their heads and actually start allowing us to win specific characters from tokens instead of the chance of characters. At the very least a winning a specific tier would be a massive step up. Tokens should be bronze, silver, gold, platinum and then rhodium.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm even less interested in the 30cp tokens after seeing the stats for IM46 and Cap. IM46 is mildly interesting, Cap doesn't look terribly good.

At least with 20cp classics I know that 2/3 of the characters I might get are quite good.