Spells: 5
Smite the Monstrous
Swift Reckoning
Enshrouding Mist
Encircling Fissure
Alchemist's Vial

Support: 1
Suppression Bonds

Basically, it keeps the opponent's creatures disabled through multiple mechanisms: the Kor Entanglers effect, Encircling Fissure, Alchemist's Vial, and Suppression Bonds. The cheap creatures, plus Conscription, mean that you're able to outrace and overpower most decks. The large number of disable effects mean Swift Reckoning is rarely dead, and Smite is of course awesome.

Gideon also is mana-versatile; being +2 to three colors means he can almost always cast a Fissure, Mist, or Envoy every turn, and Bonds/Reckoning/Steward/Castigator/Vial are only one mana more. If you're stuck getting loyalty points..that's great, too!

If I ever get a Lantern Scout, he would replace the Castigator. I've considered Stone Haven Medic, as his lifegain activation would work with Steward, but I prefer the 3/1 to the 1/3.

I'd love to hear what other cards people are using with planeswalkers old and new.

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got nissa renewal and after playing with it a bit I came out with the idea for the ultimate troll deck.

Nissa's Pilgrimage
    Nissa's Renewal
    Nissa's Revelation
    Animist's Awakening
    Seek the Wilds
    The Great Aurora
    Alhammarret's Archive
    Fertile Thicket
    Herald of the Pantheon
    Canopy Vista
    That's just on the fly built deck, some changes may be useful.
    Basically you just keep on healing and healing and healing and ramping and healing and drawing and board clearing and....
    You get the idea icon_lol.gif

Black pwalkers can build vampire decks.
    If only orb of warding was left as healing effect it would have been CRAZY sinergy with "when you gain life" effect especially with ob nixilis first skill.
  • Dreadalus
    Dreadalus Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm running a similar deck with the old Giden, madwren, and I have a few suggestions.

This thing is a beast with the Entanglers, and I would swap it out for the Vial:
    RetreatToEmeria.png

And I swapped in this for the Sheer Drop I was using (way too slow):
    RoilsRetribution.png
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am use the new Gideon as well. His ability to quickly summon powerful allies via his abilities is awesome. So I am light on my creatures and nothing over a 12 cost. He gets +2 on three colours so mana gain is very fast.

Relic Seeker
    War Oracle
    Serene Steward
    Kor Entanglers

Alhamarrer's Archive
    Prairie Stream
    Shambling Vent
    Sword of the Animist

Encircling Fissure
    Ondu Rising

It is really a health pump deck where the summoned allies do the heavy hitting. The rally cards work great, hoping to pick up a couple rares or mythics soon. Prairie stream is just a space filler really. The two spells are amazing at stopping your opponent cold, especially if the Archive is active and you have a lot more access to them.

He easily wins over 95% of matches and I never need to swap out with a different PW to keep on grinding. Timing is a touch better than my last favourite deck,averaging 11 wins an hour.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dreadalus wrote:
    I'm running a similar deck with the old Giden, madwren, and I have a few suggestions.

This thing is a beast with the Entanglers, and I would swap it out for the Vial:
    RetreatToEmeria.png

And I swapped in this for the Sheer Drop I was using (way too slow):
    RoilsRetribution.png

Thanks for the input. I tried Retreat and Roil originally myself, but I found that the Kor Allies were always popping up when I didn't have room for them; I always had a better creature in play. It definitely is an option, but didn't work for my style.

I'm using Swift Reckoning in place of Roil. It's 6cc -- so still very castable and not as slow as Sheer Drop -- but most of all it hits the reinforced creatures that would otherwise take a pair of Roils.

If it's working for you, great! I suspect the deck would really shine with Lantern Scout, but unfortunately it's a rare, so I might never see it.
  • madwren
    Options
    Having some fun with Jace, as well, abusing Noyan Dar.

Creatures: 4
    Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper
    Sigiled Starfish
    Coralhelm Guide
    Mizzium Meddler

Spells: 6
    Rush of Ice
    Talent of the Telepath
    Day's Undoing
    Anticipate
    Alchemist's Vial
    Clutch of Currents

Basically, you dig to a Noyan Dar, and then beef him up like mad. Once you get him on the board, he ramps quickly; highest I've gotten is 31/31, because the opponent's always dead by then.
  • EDUSAN
    EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    im having some fun with a healing gideon deck too...

i made it yesterday:

Creatures:
    Enlightened ascetic (might remove this one)
    Serene Steward
    Angel of Renewal
    Aven Battle Priest
    Stone Haven Medic

Enshrouding mist
    Suppresion Bonds
    Prairie Steam
    Prism Ring

im missing a card, cant remember which one

I could improve it very easily with some cards like War Oracle (which i never got) or Felidar Sovereign and adding more spells for prism ring, or replacing it with something else

Just play serene steward and start buffing your 1st creature, use gideon 1st skill on it (or wait for the 2nd skill if it has lifelink) and finish the games with full hp
  • Morphis
    Options
    I changed the deck I was using with nissa a little bit(not the one I linked above that was a wish deck).

I ended up with a deck that is a lot of fun to play and also quite strong.
    Sometimes it is a little slow in winning but has the advantage of having always the chance to come back in play and most of the time you end fight full life or almos full.

In bracket I put cards that I would like to change but still do not have.

Supports:
    Nissa's Pilgrimage
    Fertile Thicket
    Pyromancer's Goggles
    Spells:
    Nissa's Renewal
    Scour from Existence
    Creatures:
    Oran-Rief Hydra(Zendikar Incarnate)
    Greenwarden of Murasa
    Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
    Skysnare Spider(Murasa Ranger)
    Outland Colossus

The deck plays in many ways:
    Murasa hidden behind reach creatures can win the game alone.
    Nissa renewal is the best card to have at start against anyone except discard decks(mostly liliana). The ramp and healing it provides is huge. So if you get damage while charging you do not care icon_e_wink.gif
    If you are against non green and red pyromancer googles are a huge winner. The only 2 spells in he deck are both always useful. Nissa renewal castes by it often result in allowing another speel to be activated. I've had 3 chain nissa out of a single activation. Hilarious.
    Scour is there to handle bad things.
    Landfall creature sinergies naturally with nissa renewal.
    Colossusis efficient big hitter.
    Dwynen elf is a star. It procs so many times in this deck making all your creatures really big.

Pilgrimage and fertile supports to get more landfall/mana/activations...

The deck is heavy on mythic even in my current version but if you can afford it give it a try icon_e_wink.gif
  • BassMuffinFIve
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    I changed the deck I was using with nissa a little bit(not the one I linked above that was a wish deck).

I ended up with a deck that is a lot of fun to play and also quite strong.
    Sometimes it is a little slow in winning but has the advantage of having always the chance to come back in play and most of the time you end fight full life or almos full.

In bracket I put cards that I would like to change but still do not have.

Supports:
    Nissa's Pilgrimage
    Fertile Thicket
    Pyromancer's Goggles
    Spells:
    Nissa's Renewal
    Scour from Existence
    Creatures:
    Oran-Rief Hydra(Zendikar Incarnate)
    Greenwarden of Murasa
    Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
    Skysnare Spider(Murasa Ranger)
    Outland Colossus

The deck plays in many ways:
    Murasa hidden behind reach creatures can win the game alone.
    Nissa renewal is the best card to have at start against anyone except discard decks(mostly liliana). The ramp and healing it provides is huge. So if you get damage while charging you do not care icon_e_wink.gif
    If you are against non green and red pyromancer googles are a huge winner. The only 2 spells in he deck are both always useful. Nissa renewal castes by it often result in allowing another speel to be activated. I've had 3 chain nissa out of a single activation. Hilarious.
    Scour is there to handle bad things.
    Landfall creature sinergies naturally with nissa renewal.
    Colossusis efficient big hitter.
    Dwynen elf is a star. It procs so many times in this deck making all your creatures really big.

Pilgrimage and fertile supports to get more landfall/mana/activations...

The deck is heavy on mythic even in my current version but if you can afford it give it a try icon_e_wink.gif

I've found the drain 2 mana aspect of Muramasa Ranger makes me really not want to play the guy at all. Too many times he will drain 2 mana from your first card, making you not cast it that turn.
  • PapiLouis4
    PapiLouis4 Posts: 113
    Options
    Murasa is so crazy, if you get him out with other creatures with reach you pretty much win the game. ive used 2 different versions of this deck, one fore pvp and the other for the story missions.

for the story missions is used:
    Greenwarden of Murasa
    hangarback walker
    nissas revelation
    dwynen gilt leaf
    skynsnare spider
    fertile thicket
    nissas pilgrimage
    reclaim
    scour from existence
    mantle of webs

the object being to get murasa out asap and using your reach creatures to protect it, who will be constantly reviving from murasas effect, until you can get the big hitter hangerback walker out. Then u cast reclaim on hangerback, get an 8/8 thopter, revive hangerback and repeat. you can also use scour on hangerback to achieve the same goal, or keep it in hand to destroy the opponents creatures, but wheres the fun in that icon_e_wink.gif you eventually end up with a huge thopter that can win the game alone. The bggest problem you'll face with this route is that eventually murasa will be out in front taking the hits from beserkers and defenders, which is where mantle of webs comes into play. slap that on your thopter and ittl take over the first spot and you're good to go

as for pvp, i replaced many of the higher cost cards with cheaper cards to get out creatures faster like honored heirarch, somberwald alpha etc. also tried a combo with from beyond, and having limitless defenders was pretty fun. as long as you keep the core combo of murasa, reclaim, scour and defender/reach creatures, its hard to lose
  • Morphis
    Options
    I've found the drain 2 mana aspect of Muramasa Ranger makes me really not want to play the guy at all. Too many times he will drain 2 mana from your first card, making you not cast it that turn.
    Wait does it drain always from the first card even if it is full and you have 2 or more mana charged in second card?
    If that is the case then I agree.
  • madwren
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    Wait does it drain always from the first card even if it is full and you have 2 or more mana charged in second card?
    If that is the case then I agree.

Yes, I can confirm this is how it works. It's always the first card that loses mana.

It's definitely annoying, but at the same time, the Ranger gets big enough that I'm willing to put up with the inconvenience for now while I evaluate it. Sometimes I keep a Fertile Thicket uncast in the first slot so that it always drains (and then refills easily), but the jury's still out.
  • Ap00calypse
    Ap00calypse Posts: 42
    Options
    Vanilla Gideon, the new deck is tokens-focused:

Encircling Fissure (disable, summon 2)
    Sheer Drop (destroy disabled, summon 5)
    Ondu Rising (lifelink all, summon 4)
    Gruesome Slaughter (deal damage equal to colourless creatures' power)

Serene Steward (-1 mana/+1 dmg to 1st creature controlled on lifelink)
    Cliffside Lookout (+1/+1 to all on activate 1)

Retreat to Emeria (summon 1/1 x 1 on landfall)
    Pathway Arrows (1 dmg + disable on activate 1)
    Smite The Monstrous (destroy creature w/ 4+ power)

Canopy Vista (convert x1 white, green)
  • Ap00calypse
    Options
    Vanilla Nissa, Elf Pack:

Tajuru Warcaller
    Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
    Dwynen's Elite
    Murasa Ranger

Nissa's Pilgrimage
    Retreat to Kazandu

Animist's Awakening
    Joraga Invocation
    Swell of Growth
    Sylvan Scrying

The deck is focused on gem conversion and damage buffs. If the gems/cards are right, the Awakening takes care of most of the summons (as usual). It doesn't matter when it happens, because when it finally does, the buffs from Retreat, Dwynen and Murasa skyrocket the damage. The force multipliers are Tajuru, Murasa, Dwynen, Retreat, Joraga and Swell. It is entirely possible to finish a match in 3-4 turns, with 3 creatures fielded that summarily deal ~90 dmg (been done several times).

If the gems/cards are all kinds of wrong, it is still possible to hold off with the defending creatures til the tide turns - unless the AI cheats with Chandra (like it always does) and just keeps cascading. Same applies to AI Liliana who keeps nuking the cards non-stop.
  • OngFatt
    OngFatt Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I know most might think this is a cancer deck..

Chandra Beatdown/Burn

Creatures:
    Embermaw Hellion
    Volcanic Rumbler
    Akoum Stonewalker, AI loves 4 gem landfalls which gives my board a 3/1 with haste that lasts until the end of MY turn
    Mage-ring Bully

Spells:
    Exquisite Firecraft
    Lightning Javelin
    Chandra's Ignition
    Sure Strike
    Titanic Strength
    Infectious Bloodlust

No supports due to Chandra's abilities and rumbler blowing them up. Bezerkers and burn for board control, pumps for the creatures.
  • SorinMarkov
    SorinMarkov Posts: 14
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    I've been having a blast with the new Gideon, running this:

Basically, it keeps the opponent's creatures disabled through multiple mechanisms: the Kor Entanglers effect, Encircling Fissure, Alchemist's Vial, and Suppression Bonds. The cheap creatures, plus Conscription, mean that you're able to outrace and overpower most decks. The large number of disable effects mean Swift Reckoning is rarely dead, and Smite is of course awesome.

Love this deck! Going to try it out asap. I'm a big fan of MTG Modern Hatebears / Death & Taxes / Fun Police decks and it seems that your deck has the spirit of that going on.

Sorin Markov
    Lord of Innistrad
  • Ap00calypse
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    I've been having a blast with the new Gideon, running this:

Creatures: 4
    Expedition Envoy
    Serene Steward
    Kor Entanglers
    Kor Castigator

Spells: 5
    Smite the Monstrous
    Swift Reckoning
    Enshrouding Mist
    Encircling Fissure
    Alchemist's Vial

Support: 1
    Suppression Bonds

Gideon also is mana-versatile; being +2 to three colors means he can almost always cast a Fissure, Mist, or Envoy every turn, and Bonds/Reckoning/Steward/Castigator/Vial are only one mana more. If you're stuck getting loyalty points..that's great, too!

If I ever get a Lantern Scout, he would replace the Castigator. I've considered Stone Haven Medic, as his lifegain activation would work with Steward, but I prefer the 3/1 to the 1/3.

I'd love to hear what other cards people are using with planeswalkers old and new.

Here's a facelift for your deck:

Serene Steward
    Kor Entanglers
    Cliifside Lookout (interchangeable with any other cheap Kor Ally card)

Enshrouding Mist
    Alchemist's Vial
    Smite the Monstrous
    Roil's Retribution
    Ondu Rising

Suppression Bonds
    Gideon's Reproach (interchangeable if needed)

The rationale behind it is that Gideon is 100% ally-oriented. His 1st is an Ally defender, 2nd is Ally summon and 3rd is a dmg boost to all Allies. He doesn't really need the non-tokens since, in a pinch, he can get by with his 2nd alone. However, the creatures are there to trigger the Disable from the Entanglers and add that little extra to the damage output; that brings us to Serene and Ondu - it isn't just a burst lifelink but also a damage boost. The rest is self-explanatory, since the deck has zero defenders. I am going on a 80+ streak with it right now and the closest I ever came to losing was against Nissa with that ridiculous hex-proof mythical of hers that doesn't die but loses 1 HP on lethal dmg.
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ok I admit I am a whale and this deck is heavy on rare and mythic. Kiora is a beast with mana ramping.

Creatures
    Greenwarden of Murasa
    Skysnare Spider
    Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
    Disciple of the Ring
    Woodland Bellower

Spells
    Turn to Frog
    Nissa's Renewal
    Bring to Light

Supports
    Sanctum of Ugin
    Mage-Ring Network (this one I swap around to test other cards)
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Fiddler wrote:
    Ok I admit I am a whale and this deck is heavy on rare and mythic. Kiora is a beast with mana ramping.

Creatures
    Greenwarden of Murasa
    Skysnare Spider
    Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
    Disciple of the Ring
    Woodland Bellower

Spells
    Turn to Frog
    Nissa's Renewal
    Bring to Light

Supports
    Sanctum of Ugin

Why use Sanctum of Ugin if you don't have any colorless creatures?
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Fiddler wrote:

Creatures
    Greenwarden of Murasa
    Skysnare Spider
    Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
    Disciple of the Ring
    Woodland Bellower

Spells
    Turn to Frog
    Nissa's Renewal
    Bring to Light

Supports
    Sanctum of Ugin

Why use Sanctum of Ugin if you don't have any colorless creatures?
    I believe the point is so that it never gets destroyed by you summoning a colourless creature. Plus it is cheaper than meteorite. Though if you want supports that gain mana I would think Sandstone Bridge is better than Mage Ring Network. Fiddler, if you're a whale you should have Shrine of the Forsaken Gods? That's definitely the best mana gaining support.

But honestly I think the gem converting supports (Nissa's Pilgrimage & Fertile Thicket) probably gain more mana on average if less consistently. They also have the side effect of gaining you more loyalty from free matches. And they have a greater effect the more of them you have around. Even better if you have Animist's Awakening.
  • jollyrogercjf
    Options
    Has anyone played reanimator with lilliana?

My current build is really wonky and honestly if i ever pull decent kill spells this deck will actually be amazing.

Creatures(6)
    Erebo's Titan
    Priest of the Blood Rite
    Graveblade Marauder
    Kothophed, Soul Hoarder
    Fleshbag Marauder
    Returned Centaur

Spells (4)
    Reave Soul
    Langish
    Cruel Revival
    Necromatic Summons

Yeah this curve is over the top, but did you know that by using liliana's first ability you can pitch a creature and put it on the battlefield with Necromatic summons? At the begining of the game I move kills spells up front and what ever reanimate target I want to the back. After a few turns pitch one of the finishers and bring them right back out.

There is lots of room for improvement, much better kills spells, better creatures available but this is a fun deck and it works.