So what happens when the 4* tier is done?

2»

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    They could do something crazy like, slow down the release schedule to buy some time before they HAVE to add a T6
    I Think that was what they were trying to do with Howard the Duck, actually. He was released at a time when I was expecting a new 5* to be added, it's possible they tried out the whole "limited release" bit to not have to add Another 5* just yet.

I think that was merely an allowance for the very likely fact that they'll introduce two new 5*s for the Civil War event.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    The best thing they could do is get rid of tiers altogether.(or allow people to upgrade 1 stars to 2, then to 3 etc..)

I like your layout. I can't see it happening in the current iteration. The only way they can avoid backlash/payout for time/money investment on this is to create a sequel and gradually phase out MQP(1).
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:
    The best thing they could do is get rid of tiers altogether.(or allow people to upgrade 1 stars to 2, then to 3 etc..)

I like your layout. I can't see it happening in the current iteration. The only way they can avoid backlash/payout for time/money investment on this is to create a sequel and gradually phase out MQP(1).

Yeah, it works for Future Fight, but they've had it part of the design since day 1. There 1*s were supposed to become 2*s, 3*s, etc. And it absolutely works and avoids these problems. I wouldn't mind if when you max a champion, it just goes to the next rank. But, if MPQ did it now, I'm sure the mega whales would get their undies in a twist over the unwashed masses that could then progress to their level.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Dr Strange to be the first 6*...heard it here first

Dazzler to be the first 7*.. you heard it her- OH GOD HELP US ALL
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's been thrown around a bit as a suggestion but it really feels like split tokens could really help with the character saturation. Not just with 4*s but for 3*s and 2*s too maybe (which, dare I hope, could then open up the possibility of those rarity levels getting more characters in them?). But just as thrown around is MPQs unwillingness to give this a shot, so...

This is where I'm tending - they split the tokens then they can introduce more characters at every tier. It would make for a very good improvement.
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    They could do something crazy like, slow down the release schedule to buy some time before they HAVE to add a T6
    I Think that was what they were trying to do with Howard the Duck, actually. He was released at a time when I was expecting a new 5* to be added, it's possible they tried out the whole "limited release" bit to not have to add Another 5* just yet.

I think that was merely an allowance for the very likely fact that they'll introduce two new 5*s for the Civil War event.

I really doubt that. The problem with 5* releases is that no one really cares. 95% of the player base will get 1 or 2 covers of the newest 5*s over the course of the next few months - we're still trying to cover the first three. Only the biggest whales spend money on new 5* releases, while there are plenty of people who spend money on 4* releases. At this time, the 5* tier is a "build gradually" tier for anyone without thousands of dollars of disposable cash.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've actually been waiting to see "equipment" or something similar added to existing characters i.e. upgrade Steve's shield to a "lighter material" to lower its AP cost, or upgrade Juggernaut's helmet to reduce his backlash damage, etc.

It'd be a way to add more content while also making older characters marginally useful and delaying the inevitable 6* power creep. Could be a way to add more stuff to tokens as well, depending on the implementation.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    The game obviously needs a redesign, but I seriously doubt it will get one. The whales are too easy to keep on the hook and make up too much of their revenue stream for them to have any interest in making their game actually, you know, good. The FTP model has always been a problem: most games are designed to dispense as much fun as the designers know how to create, but FTP games are designed to dispense exactly the amount of fun needed to stop people from quitting, and then charge people for their next "hit". It follows pretty much exactly the same dispensary model as do drug dealers.

For an FTP designer, people having too much fun with their game is a real and important problem that needs immediate fixing. The delusion of their players that the designers want them to be having as much fun as possible is their most exploitable resource.

If anyone is interested in helping to drag this game into the light where it stands any chance of being designed to be fun, there's really only one thing you can do, and that is to reject the FTP model by refusing to spend on this game or any FTP game.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they ever put their mind to it, they could put in more gameplay types/styles/splits (3*/4* PVP for example) and make tiers other than the top actually matter.

Then they could add characters to lower tiers and have the entire userbase "need" to roster them and level them for those new things. And new things, exciting!
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tatercat wrote:
    Dr Strange to be the first 6*...heard it here first

Dazzler to be the first 7*.. you heard it her- OH GOD HELP US ALL

Stan The Man - 9*
  • DAC169
    DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I think there's something you're all forgetting - DDQ Clash of the Titans happens every 5 days. There's 365 days in a year.
    Therefore, there will be 73 4*s when they're done. That way a character's CotT will always happen the same day every year! Except when Leap Year comes & shifts all the days my 1, but I'm sure they'll have a solution of that by 2020, right?
  • Breadsticks
    Breadsticks Posts: 85 Match Maker
    One major problem is these people are developers and not really game designers. These flaws make that very apparent. I've been playing collectible card games of all types since I was 14. While I'm not the foremost expert I do have some ideas.

Firstly, they need to immediately kill any ideas of adding another tier. The game just doesn't need it. It phases out other tiers horribly and makes the bar to entry too high while also diluting the game.

Secondly, they do need to expand the 2 and 3* pools. What they can then do is instead of lightning rounds have an every other hour Monday thru Friday tournament for ISO and covers. These formats would be for example all 2's, 2,3,4 and 3,3,4. This adds diversity and gives rosters at all stages something different to do while having fun. With these formats you can also lock out certain characters so people don't rely on the same teams. This can change on the hour or by week. Another game I played actually had the players vote on who was banned for that month of play.

In addition, for PvP you should be able to select your defense much like Marvel War of heroes allowed you to. This takes the pressure off of winning with a specific team before you stop.

I would also restrict formats to a star limit of say a total of 22 with maybe 5 or 6 characters set to your team and 3 or 4 randomly chosen for the fight. This would again breed more diversity, up character usage, creativity and prevent people from just autopiloting the same teams.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Well, these are my expectations (hopes!) for when we reach 40 4* chars:

1. Finally implement the REAL 4* DDQ (no, "Clash of the Titans" isn't a 4* DDQ, it's just a challenge for those already with lots of 4* covers...) with a specific 4* cover as reward, on "Big Enchilada" style;
    2. Increase odds in tokens: gold tokens should have at least 50% chance of a gold pull, between 3* and 4*;
    3. Update the 4* covers rewards from 3* champions, because the number of 3*s and 4*s would be the same (3* Punisher NEEDS to award 4* Punisher for exemple, it's just common sense icon_rolleyes.gif );
    4. Start releasing 2* and 3* again for God sake! Some lower tier chars between 4*s releases wouldn't harm anyone icon_e_wink.gif;
    5. And finally, please don't think or even cogitate about a 6* tier... the 5 one is already a mess and personally does not impress me (and I'm sure I'm not the only one)... instead, why not give us new content, stories and gameplays icon_e_biggrin.gif ?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    They'll never finish the 4* tier, but when they do, it'll be great, because then I'll finally be able to finish championing them all, just like I've championed all the 3*s icon_e_smile.gif

There's no point championing all the 2*s, because I never ever use them, and I have no need, other than ddq (of which I have enough still championed) and pve reqs (I use oml/2*/someone else, so the 2* itself doesn't really get used there).
    658 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    MPQ 2 will come first.

So many more characters they can do. If they do six 5* in the next year, that means they can stick to the release schedule of every two weeks and only have to release 20 4*. They could easily do 20 variants with the current roster, let alone new characters. How many years do we expect this game to go before a sequel?
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Does a game like this really require a sequel? I mean, what could they really add that couldn't be accomplished with updates?

I'm hoping that there is a restructuring in the near future that is more conducive to the current emphasis on 4* gameplay. Seeing as how the 2* and 3* tiers are pretty much being left in the dust it seems kind of odd that the game caters mostly to those levels through the rewards structure. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for them to give us a bump in iso and make some better covers more readily available.

Considering the rate at which they are releasing characters even if they did these things there would still be plenty of room growth and opportunities for the devs to cash in.