Well that's just great.... [Duck Season disappointment]

13»

Comments

• thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    before im completely disappointed ill wait for webbed wonder on monday. maybe that will live up to the "anniversary" style event i expected.

if it is, then they simply ran the events in the wrong order. they could have run the enjoyable fun event, gave everybody a few covers and then ran the nutbuster event for the few extra covers for those wanting to really fight for them. everybody's happy.

instead they run the hunt event like any other release event with the tag that the character is limited release and all it ends up looking like is a cash grab.

i wont hold my breath but i will hope for the best, drop 1000 hp on a slot and maybe end up with 4 or 5 covers (like dino) that hopefully will beat ddq and then wait a year to try for more covers.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for those bumping the text where it says only this season - I read that but somehow it changed in my mind to "first time you can get this is Duck Season" rather than "only time you can get this".

I don't really "get" the joke characters (including Bag-Man). Why not have them in all the time, if players have to spend time/resources to get them and put them on rosters, give some benefit to those spent resources by making them available all the time, and rotate them through like the other characters.

And as much as they claim Dino is a "Joke", he is infinitely better than Cho/MrF/FalCap (and I could argue a couple of others!). -Those- are joke characters, unless D3 decides to fix them!
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    chamber44 wrote:
    revskip wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I knew about that, but somehow I didn't want to believe it.

It's just hard to get too excited about a character that will sit at 1-3 covers in the bottom of my roster forever, with never a chance to improve it.

I can only hope that every now and then, they'll give us more chances for more covers of howard and devil dino. It surely won't break the game. I don't think people will complain about either of those characters being too overpowered.

In my limited time on this forum it has been my experience that people will complain about pretty anything and everything. If Howard released with full covers for free someone would complain that all the other characters weren't done that way.

which still doesn't invalidate the criticisms in this thread.

Agreed. We're complaining because there's just not much to be happy about these days, even good news ends up being sour with this dev team.

"Hey, here's this cool new system that lets you make your characters stronger after their level cap! We're gonna make them all significantly weaker tho, so you won't actually have stronger characters without several years of collecting covers or a LOT of $$$$$ Rock on! Enjoy!!"

"Hey, we're going to look at a new way to play PvE, removing the need to play on a schedule and addressing players scaling concerns! But if you want to remain competitive, you're pretty much gonna have to play non-stop for the entire event, and every battle is going to be significantly harder Yea!! Awesomesauce!!"

"Hey, here's a cool fan favorite character, and an awesome release event extravaganza to go along with him!! Really tho, it's just a bunch of events with absolutely no increased reward, one special event that you can get one cover for him, and then you'll never see him again Waugh!!"

We may be projecting a lot of negativity around here, but I don't really blame us...
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cymmina wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    I believe anything after Ghost Rider is just their best guess.

Correct. The order ends up being whatever the database chose. I've tuned it to try listing them in release order, but I can't make any guarantees since I'm not tracking the release date at the moment.

Hey, thanks for clearing that up. I won't take it as canon. icon_e_smile.gif
  • SnowcaTT
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Cymmina wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    I believe anything after Ghost Rider is just their best guess.

Correct. The order ends up being whatever the database chose. I've tuned it to try listing them in release order, but I can't make any guarantees since I'm not tracking the release date at the moment.

Hey, thanks for clearing that up. I won't take it as canon. icon_e_smile.gif

I'm trying to track them, and guessing based on (what I think?) is the release order over in the DDQ reward thread.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26817

But who knows how they'll insert the next 4*'s; from the wording it wouldn't surprise me at all if Duck is right after GR.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    I think the issue is that this is the non-jokiest joke character, and maybe they don't know how to handle it.

Yeah, he's a joke character in the sense of "Ha ha, he's a duck! He doesn't have powers or fight crime!" But they aren't giving him joke powers. He's a legitimate 4*, and doesn't have powers like "bite, same bite with different color, mostly useless arm waggle". So he's joke, but non-joke.

And just like that, the way they're releasing him is also joke/non-joke. He's being partly released as a novelty character, so it's only a limited time thing, but he's also being released at non-joke drop rates. So he's a novelty character we have almost no chance at getting any covers for, which is weird.

I think they're just confused. If he had goofy, kinda-useless novelty abilities, I think we'd get more covers for him. But he doesn't, so we get 1 cover of a pretty darn good character that we won't be able to add to for a long time.
  • SnowcaTT
    To bad Squirrel Girl wasn't a joke character. I wouldn't mind not pulling her covers except once a year.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    To bad Squirrel Girl wasn't a joke character. I wouldn't mind not pulling her covers except once a year.

I'll take her any day over Cho.
  • SnowcaTT
    madok wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

I'll take her any day over Cho.

At least Cho can get to 270...I guess...if you want to waste the ISO...

I meant more in reference to the post above that - Howard being a "Joke" in MCU...isn't SG mostly a joke as well? I don't read the comics, I know she beats everyone and teams up - is she in any comics outside of her own? Then again, I don't know if Cho is in many comics either.

But to the "how good is it" question...yeah, if SG was a 4* she'd be better than Cho. I mentioned above I think Dino (and I assume Duck, without having read his abilities) is better than Cho/MrF/FalCap...the real "joke" 4* characters as far as power go [I also like to argue Elecktra and Starlord as well].
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:

And as much as they claim Dino is a "Joke", he is infinitely better than Cho/MrF/FalCap (and I could argue a couple of others!). -Those- are joke characters, unless D3 decides to fix them!

Falcap is actually quite good in a few different circumstances. But the bottom line is that he's really a 5* support character. I.e. He has to be surrounded by characters that are a full tier ahead of him.

In that context.

His yellow shield defense and red attack is correctly powered. (ever notice how OP the yellow shields and red dive bomb attack is when compared to 4* health? When used against 5* chars, the shields and red attack do good damage instead of of 3X overkill.)

Any of the 5* will tank colors instead of flaptain, So he actually survives a long time and his blue buff power and CD reduce begins to become a factor over time.

The problem with flaptain was that it wasn't really obvious how people were supposed to use/play him when he first came out.

However, now that 5* are out, its pretty obvious that he's really meant to be a secondary support character to 5*.

Its sorta the same deal with falcon. He's a lot better when used as 4* support vs being the lead character and you finding 2 3* who synergize well with him.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    3* Falcon is never meant to be the "lead" character. A number of times, I've had him as the last man standing in a fight that's gone badly, and he's practically useless on offence. At most he can buff pre-existing strike tiles and maybe out-damage his opponents before they kill him.

There are a lot of 3* characters he works well with. Anybody who creates lots of strike tiles, obviously - so Blade, Daken, Gamora, Beast, Patch etc.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash wrote:
    3* Falcon is never meant to be the "lead" character. A number of times, I've had him as the last man standing in a fight that's gone badly, and he's practically useless on offence. At most he can buff pre-existing strike tiles and maybe out-damage his opponents before they kill him.

There are a lot of 3* characters he works well with. Anybody who creates lots of strike tiles, obviously - so Blade, Daken, Gamora, Beast, Patch etc.

The problem with pairing falcon with 3* characters is that Falcon's color priority tanks quite a few colors with those characters, and his health isn't really designed for him to be a front line tank. He definitely shines in goon nodes where you can decide when to leave him exposed to an enemy attack, but when you put him behind a 4* strike generator who also covers his colors, then you get the best of all worlds.

1. He buffs tiles.
    2. removes specials.
    3. and can survive more than 3 matches before you need to heal him backup.

Otherwise, he really needs to be slightly underleveled so that he doesn't tank colors when compared to a non champed 166.