Well that's just great.... [Duck Season disappointment]

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    And if he is told NOT to speak on the situation, until given permission.......?

Then that's one very major reason why there's such a disconnect between player and developer. If he's not even allowed to say "We hear you, we'll have more info soon" then they have real problems.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Duck Season. Hah!

I could shoot a 12 gauge into a flock of seagulls and have a better chance of hitting a duck than I do of getting one from these packs.

The devs have lost the plot. This is so bad. So **** bad.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    howardodds_zpszbfy71v4.jpg
    tumblr_nq2arh56Oq1usnnhso1_500.gif
    0.2%
    tumblr_inline_mpd71nxD571qz4rgp.gif
    0.2%
    9vzmUGE9gB596.gif
    Limited time character...
    BrRqx78.gif
    tumblr_inline_o3tmc5uXjN1s9ljl8_500.gif
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    "Howard the Duck is available for a limited time! He's featured in The Hunt, and available at 4* odds! And to make this super fun, we're giving what every Howard the Duck fan wants: ALMOST TRIPLE THE ODDS FOR A STAR-LORD COVER IN THE TOKENS!!!!!"

/facepalm

I've been around long enough to remember the first anniversary, when you couldn't spit without hitting a Devil Dinosaur cover being handed out. I thought that was the point of "fun" characters -- giving practically everyone a sense of achievement without substantially altering the balance of PvE and PvP.

I guess this is only intended to be "fun" for t100 grinders and whales, though. Sigh.

just further proof that these devs are the stingiest stingies that ever stingied
  • The Finn
    The Finn Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    The Lilo & Stitch gifs made me laugh way more than it should have. Nice job capturing the sentiment! And glad to see you still posting funny pics on here after all this time!
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess % will improve for his PvE (1.2%) and for his PvP (3.8-4.6% as usual), and I HOPE if we get an event ala Growth Industry, the tokens for that would have a far better chance of getting him... (I think in Webbed wonder is where it will be easier to get him, I think this is the Growth Industry of Howard)

Ah man, if I remember correctly for DDino was 10% ? That's the % we should have for a fun char that it is only going to be featured once a year or even less...
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    As another player posted, the 0.2% chance is par for the course for pre-release tokens. However, what it IS a fail is that we are getting normal PVE tokens instead of a Duck Season vault with custom rewards running through the whole 7-day group of events. I remember that they did that once but can't remember the theme.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    As another player posted, the 0.2% chance is par for the course for pre-release tokens. However, what it IS a fail is that we are getting normal PVE tokens instead of a Duck Season vault with custom rewards running through the whole 7-day group of events. I remember that they did that once but can't remember the theme.
    The Independence Day Vault last summer? That ran across Three PvPs as I recall...
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    I don't understand why they are inserting him into DDQ4 the week of his release? Chulk, Miles, Venom, Nova, Gwen, Quake, and Punisher still haven't shown up in DDQ4 yet. I suppose if he isn't going to be added to tokens then more time to earn covers/level him wouldn't help anyway, but still - was expecting to see the other new 4* characters cycle through first.

He's in DDQ4 for the same reason that newly released characters are essential in nodes the PVE after they're released.

They want you to buy a bunch of overpriced token packs in the hope that you'll draw him and be able to participate.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Raffoon wrote:
    I don't understand why they are inserting him into DDQ4 the week of his release? Chulk, Miles, Venom, Nova, Gwen, Quake, and Punisher still haven't shown up in DDQ4 yet. I suppose if he isn't going to be added to tokens then more time to earn covers/level him wouldn't help anyway, but still - was expecting to see the other new 4* characters cycle through first.

He's in DDQ4 for the same reason that newly released characters are essential in nodes the PVE after they're released.

They want you to buy a bunch of overpriced token packs in the hope that you'll draw him and be able to participate.

Wait - so you're saying this is just another cash grab like every other new character release and not a special event where the company gives we the customers something we can celebrate and feel good about with a funny, limited release event? What is this madness? icon_rolleyes.gif

Or as Howard might say, "Who does a guy gotta pluck to get a cover around here!?"
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    "Howard the Duck is available for a limited time! He's featured in The Hunt, and available at 4* odds! And to make this super fun, we're giving what every Howard the Duck fan wants: ALMOST TRIPLE THE ODDS FOR A STAR-LORD COVER IN THE TOKENS!!!!!"

/facepalm

I've been around long enough to remember the first anniversary, when you couldn't spit without hitting a Devil Dinosaur cover being handed out. I thought that was the point of "fun" characters -- giving practically everyone a sense of achievement without substantially altering the balance of PvE and PvP.

I guess this is only intended to be "fun" for t100 grinders and whales, though. Sigh.

Isn't this always the case? In the PvE event offering a new character as the progression rewards, the draw rate is 0.2%. In the following event where they are the featured character, the draw rate is significantly increased as expected. Not sure what all the crying is about here, this looks normal to me.
    Quebbster wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:
    ... Chulk, Miles, Venom, Nova, Gwen, Quake, and Punisher still haven't shown up in DDQ4 yet.....

Don't worry, they will soon enough, assuming the past pattern holds.

https://mpq.gamependium.com/ddq

Dunno how the insertion of the Duck affects the pattern. Bump everyone forward? replace someone outright?

Who the hell knows I'll never clear it either way icon_lol.gif

I have been keeping an eye on that and am really wondering where they got that information. Personally, I hope it's wrong - why have Quake so damn soon? I have a chance on Miles and Nova, even Gwen if her opponent is relatively forgiving, but I haven't pulled any Quake covers out of tokens yet. Go figure - she's going in this evening.

Ghost Rider was the last one last time, so I presume they kept that order, but unless they have some source of this information I'm not sure I believe what's after that...
    I believe anything after Ghost Rider is just their best guess.

Correct. The order ends up being whatever the database chose. I've tuned it to try listing them in release order, but I can't make any guarantees since I'm not tracking the release date at the moment.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cymmina wrote:
    Isn't this always the case? In the PvE event offering a new character as the progression rewards, the draw rate is 0.2%. In the following event where they are the featured character, the draw rate is significantly increased as expected. Not sure what all the crying is about here, this looks normal to me.
    Sure, for normal character releases. This is a character that, by all accounts, won't be going into the normal token pool after his release. Like Devil Dino, now's your only chance to get him until further notice, which for DD wasn't until a year later. This is also a character whose release is being touted as a special event, with "Duck Season" banners on associated event. To do all that but then simply release him in the same business-as-usual way within those events is at least a bit disappointing.

It's the worst of both worlds: not easy to get at release (except for one extra cover for the new PvE), and not a character you can expect to build over the next few months either.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    And if he is told NOT to speak on the situation, until given permission.......?
    In that case, whoever's in charge of giving permission ought to be the community liaison instead...
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's funny, IceIX used to bug me, he sometimes came across as kinda smug for a community liason.

But he would have replied to this thread by now and he'd have said something about speaking to the dev team. And chances are something would have happened in the end. Remember the god-awful odds of getting anything useful in the anniversary tokens? Remember the massive player/developer disconnect with Galactus? We complained. IceIX came back with a statement that blew everyone's minds with how out of touch it was...but he listened, he took it all on board and he kept an open dialogue with everyone.

The result was token odds improved, Galactus was improved and things were better by the end than at the start.

I like David here, but if he's feeding things back to the devs he stays far too quiet about it. Communication is always key with your community. Even if all you say is "We've taken this on board and we're re-assessing things. We'll get back to you soon." that's something. We don't need immediate answers, we'd just like to know that we're being heard and not just shouting into the wind.

What I don't get is I'm reading everywhere to try to figure out: is this a regular character that will be in packs and essential/featured/boosted rotation or not? That is - do we need to try to get him or not?

Everywhere I read the players seem very confused about this point.

It would be REALLY nice to have the devs clear up that point.

(But I suppose they can't make that clear until all the 40-packs have been sold, eh?)
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    What I don't get is I'm reading everywhere to try to figure out: is this a regular character that will be in packs and essential/featured/boosted rotation or not? That is - do we need to try to get him or not?

Everywhere I read the players seem very confused about this point.

(But I suppose they can't make that clear until all the 40-packs have been sold, eh?)

I thought it was pretty clear that Howard is only available during these events.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42285

"Players will only be able to add Howard the Duck to their roster during Duck Season."

You can only roster a character if the cover is available. Logic follows, no covers will be available after the season.
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    I just realized the question is more specific: am I going to potentially *need* Howard in the future to achieve goals?

You are correct, this is unclear, but I think it's safe to assume the answer is no. I don't blame the devs for not giving you a clear answer, because it'd be unfair. They can say "no" but in two years have a new manager who decides to use him in rotation after all, at which point everyone will be pissed, or they can say "no, but maybe" and have people pissed now.

They lose no matter what with everyone here icon_e_smile.gif
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25977/piecing ... d_the_duck
    Josh Austin: We first want to mention that this is a special limited release offering of Howard the Duck during Duck Season as he will only be earnable during this mini-event. Howard the Duck will viewable in-game starting on April 6 and then available at the start of Duck Season on April 7 just in time for The Hunt event! On April 11, Webbed Wonder will begin and players will automatically be rewarded with Howard the Duck for their roster for completing the episode. And finally on April 14, players will have one more shot to earn Howard the Duck in the Fowl Play Tournament.

That's pretty clear, no?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I knew about that, but somehow I didn't want to believe it.

It's just hard to get too excited about a character that will sit at 1-3 covers in the bottom of my roster forever, with never a chance to improve it.

I can only hope that every now and then, they'll give us more chances for more covers of howard and devil dino. It surely won't break the game. I don't think people will complain about either of those characters being too overpowered.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:

It's just hard to get too excited about a character that will sit at 1-3 covers in the bottom of my roster forever, with never a chance to improve it.

I can only hope that every now and then, they'll give us more chances for more covers of howard and devil dino. It surely won't break the game. I don't think people will complain about either of those characters being too overpowered.

In my limited time on this forum it has been my experience that people will complain about pretty anything and everything. If Howard released with full covers for free someone would complain that all the other characters weren't done that way.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    revskip wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:

In my limited time on this forum it has been my experience that people will complain about pretty anything and everything. If Howard released with full covers for free someone would complain that all the other characters weren't done that way.

which still doesn't invalidate the criticisms in this thread.