New Versus Matchmaking in Nefarious Foes (and Beyond)

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited April 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi everyone,

The team at Demiurge have been going through data collected during the Magnetic Mayhem matchmaking testing and Anthony has a message regarding how everything went:
    "We received your feedback on our Versus matchmaking test during Magnetic Mayhem, and overall it appears it had a positive impact on the experience. The new Matchmaking takes the player's character levels, power levels and current event score into account when determining an opponent. We believe the updated matchmaking better reflects the true power of the players roster, and thus will result in fairer matches in Versus events. Starting with the "Nefarious Foes" Versus event on Sunday 4/3, we'll switch all Versus events over to use the updated matchmaking. As always, we continue to value your feedback and we'll continue to watch how Versus battles unfold with this change!"

Thanks for playing and helping us with the test, MPQ faithful!

Comments

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Wait for it.....
    Wait for it.....

APRIL FOOLS!!!

just kidding
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    The fact that this information falls on April Fool's is purely coincidental. icon_e_wink.gif (This isn't a joke.)
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,399 Chairperson of the Boards
    So they did this to PVP you might as well say the new PVE will happen to .... Thanks D3 for the 18 months of fun i had playing but i think with these changes its almost time to say goodbye
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Starting with the "Nefarious Foes" Versus event on Saturday 4/3

That should be Sunday 4/3, I think? Had to check when Slice 1 starts.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    So the PvP overhaul, which was well received, moves forward immediately, while the PvE version got infinite hate and so gets sent back for more testing. Good for you guys.
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    Will this mmr change address the cupcake gimmick?
  • Eec411
    Eec411 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Random question: How does this work for balance of power? Are they looking at pre-buffed rosters?
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]The fact that this information falls on April Fool's is purely coincidental. icon_e_wink.gif (This isn't a joke.)

I do find the fact that MPQ allowed players to merge accounts not their own with their legitimate accounts to gain an unfair advantage (and a violation of tos), and now continues to let many to keep that advantage at the expense of the legitimate (and fair playing) players to be a joke.

Unfortunately, I'm not laughing. icon_e_sad.gif
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Excellent news.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    WilsonFisk wrote:
    Will this mmr change address the cupcake gimmick?
    CCs queued just fine during the test event
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    That should be Sunday 4/3, I think? Had to check when Slice 1 starts.

Sunday, yes. Corrected the post. Thank you!
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    This news makes me super happy. I'm also encouraged that good feedback resulted in a deployment (PvP) and bad feedback resulted in more testing (PvE).
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very nice to see this change implemented in the mid-season event so we can get used to them before starting the PvP season grind.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    With no fixes nor tweaks of course....

I can't wait for even more limited skip hell.
    Nor for "flattened" points curve - I love not having fights for more than 30 /30-some points.
    No more 40/50+ fights.
    Yay!
    icon_cry.gif
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    I'm not sure if it was just the slice I was in or what but my scaling in Weapon Tex Mex was terrible. I was in the top 10 for most of the time and I kept pulling up battles worth only 7 or 8 points though I could clearly see people unshielded around me for 10+ minutes at a time. I NEVER pulled those people up. I wasted thousands of ISO skipping and skipping hoping to pull something. I ended up pulling G a few 75 point matches for players who were no where near me. They certainly were not in the top 10 with me. I have no idea what was going G on during that event.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Weapon Tex Mex wasn't using the new matchmaking system - only Magnetic Mayhem had it.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I'm in a PVP focussed alliance right now, and my experience during testing was horrible. I'll give the new PVP a chance, but if it's like it was for Magnetic Mayhem, I'll be finding another game. I know that doesn't really matter, I wasn't a big spender anyways. Just looking forward to opening my stockpiled tokens, then seeing what happens from there.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    One thing to consider: If it's harder to get big point wins, that also means there's less chance of big point losses. I'm OK with that tradeoff.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    One thing to consider: If it's harder to get big point wins, that also means there's less chance of big point losses. I'm OK with that tradeoff.

I didn't read when they were testing- is that how it went? I know when you get in some ranges you see way above you and way below you, so at first I also had that thought - if I can't see 75 point matches, they can't see me (no more getting hit by 5*'s that earn them 10 points but I'm like a CC to them), and also those way below me can't see me.

But I'm assuming retals and/or finding nodes early on and camping on them will still earn you big losses later on?
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    One thing I wish that they wouldn't do is boost 5* characters, surely they are already overpowered enough without making things even easier, not specific to this new pvp system but GG is boosted in this first event.