PvE Feedback - for those whom it was an improvement

Options
XandorXerxes
XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So there are many long posts that give good feedback on the things people didn't like. What I was hoping this thread would be for is the people that liked the PvE changes, whom the changes actually worked out well for. That way when the information is reviewed the devs can compare the many whom it didn't work out well for with data from the ones who did enjoy their experience more.

For my personal experience:
    *As recognized in the other threads, I thought the new point system was a dramatic improvement. There's no way I'm grinding every node near the end and there's no way I'm going to structure my life around the game. I was able to hit nodes when I wanted and get my points / rewards... except the last 3 CP nodes I did where I got the CP on the 7th try each time. That wasn't my favorite.
    *With a little extra effort I was able to hit the 3* reward without much issue on the last day.
    *My scaling was reasonable - playing for the 7th reward those last few times was a bit rough
    *I wasn't forced to use my "best" - my two teams were Beast + Psylocke + Bullseye 3* for waves, and generally Beast + Blade + Cyclops for non-waves. Beast + Psylocke for essentials. Even with feeding nodes, I was usually able to clear / grind a few without too intensive of health pack usage, and I'm not sure I actually lost (though I came close a couple of times near the end). Disclaimer: Beast, Psylocke, Blade, and Cyclops are all championed on my roster, Bullseye is 120.

I don't normally play PvE anymore, and when I do it's only to grind a few CP out. I'm willing to bet my scaling was pretty low because of that, but it worked. The first clears were readily do-able, the 7th clears (when it came to that) were pretty tough but not completely overwhelming. I lost health packs a few times to feeder goons giving Wolverine a red stab, I had a few bad cascades and some bad caltrop matches, but overall I was pleased with the experience. I would play that PvE a lot. I won't (can't, really) be competing in PvE in the current system.

I understand that a lot of people were upset that the maximum grind amount increased. That didn't really affect me, so I can't comment on it, but I'm not against making the top placements more competitive. Making people work harder to get progression though, that's a bit different. I assume the progression is an issue outside of the new format though - that's easily changeable without changing how the new scaling works. Anyone else have a pleasant experience?

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since you admittedly don't play competitively you don't know or cannot imagine how hard already is to place in the top 10. Who are you to say that we should work any harder? Why should you, the one who already played casually be rewarded with an even easier time at the cost of the people that have to put real effort into it? How would you feel if the change made your life more difficult in exchange of making it easier for the competitive players and we posted a post like yours disregarding the experience of the casual players because "they could use being more competitive"?
  • Stanley71
    Stanley71 Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    It's lonley there, isn't it, XandorXerxes?
    You seem to be the only one who enjoyed the last PVE...
  • ElAkkra
    ElAkkra Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    In scaling terms, I found it an improvement (one cover 5 star.png s no longer counting against me) and in timing terms the "play when you want" was a godsend. I easily made 3 clears per sub, with a small amount of extra grinding beyond that. This'd normally get me close to final progression and I can usually grind out the CP reward on the last day, but this time those same clears barely got me to the 3 star.png cover, so I'm not sure what they were expecting.

I think that was the main problem - what we're the expectations? Everyone doing 3 clears and those going for placement doing the 4th, 5th, 6th or possibly 7th clear? Or placement requiring 6 clears at the start of sub plus as many end of sub grinds as you can manage? If they'd set it up as the former (first clear really easy, 3rd or 4th clear about where current difficulty sits, 6th or 7th clear nigh on impossible) then I think there'd have been less griping about the "optimal" placement grind.

Then again, I consider the current placement grind pretty crazy (even getting top 100 for new characters is outside my stamina although I seem to be within about 15 places of it), so maybe my opinion's not worth considering?
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Since you admittedly don't play competitively you don't know or cannot imagine how hard already is to place in the top 10. Who are you to say that we should work any harder? Why should you, the one who already played casually be rewarded with an even easier time at the cost of the people that have to put real effort into it? How would you feel if the change made your life more difficult in exchange of making it easier for the competitive players and we posted a post like yours disregarding the experience of the casual players because "they could use being more competitive"?

Top ten of what, five hundred? Vs. bottom four hundred and ninety, I suppose. Probably good for you folk that this isn't a democracy. icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

The hell? He was making a post that said he had a pleasant experience with the test. So did I. It's already been addressed that the grind is ridiculous for people who play competitively, the OP just wanted a place where people could share positive feedback, so it isn't lost among all the posts saying "if this changes, I quit." It will show BOTH sides of the story, and give more info to the developers.

It already seems like there's more negative feedback for this style than positive, at least among forumites, as shown by the numerous threads and posts. I doubt it'll happen, at least not without radical change. But please, let's let some people have their positive threads. OP was just speaking from his own personal experience, which is all any of us should be able to do.
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'd be interested to see what your roster looks like because it sounds like you had a much lower initial level scale than pretty much anyone that has gotten to a point where they have even one 4* championed. Just for comparison, my roster has just 4 championed 4*s, and none of the other ones I have (including the cover maxed fury and elektra) are even over level 170. And while I have all 5* characters save GG rostered, only one has as many as 4 covers, and none are leveled to their current maximum. And despite all of this, despite the fact that my boosted Iceman being the highest level character in my roster during the event by something like 80 levels and the average level of my roster being around 180, the STARTING scaling for the first mission was between 215 and 230. The highest it got for the final missions by the 6th clear was just shy of 400. That is absurd. Any attempt to complete even the 2nd clear of any of the missions with something other than my optimal team of Iceman, IM40 and JG was just one mediocre board away from being crushed, and even with my optimal team on the final missions, one yellow starved board was all it would take for me to need 3 health packs. I'm glad someone enjoyed this test, but that scaling is just WAY off.
  • XandorXerxes
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

You missed the point, completely, of this thread and what competition is. You're right, I don't know, and I don't care to. Regardless, that's off-topic. There's no way that they can change the 8-hour point system without changing how the competition works.
    I'd be interested to see what your roster looks like because it sounds like you had a much lower initial level scale than pretty much anyone that has gotten to a point where they have even one 4* championed. Just for comparison, my roster has just 4 championed 4*s, and none of the other ones I have (including the cover maxed fury and elektra) are even over level 170. And while I have all 5* characters save GG rostered, only one has as many as 4 covers, and none are leveled to their current maximum. And despite all of this, despite the fact that my boosted Iceman being the highest level character in my roster during the event by something like 80 levels and the average level of my roster being around 180, the STARTING scaling for the first mission was between 215 and 230. The highest it got for the final missions by the 6th clear was just shy of 400. That is absurd. Any attempt to complete even the 2nd clear of any of the missions with something other than my optimal team of Iceman, IM40 and JG was just one mediocre board away from being crushed, and even with my optimal team on the final missions, one yellow starved board was all it would take for me to need 3 health packs. I'm glad someone enjoyed this test, but that scaling is just WAY off.

No champion 4*s, I have 4 with 10+ covers off the top of my head (13, 12, 11, 10 iirc), highest levels are 220 and 195. My "trivial" nodes started at 120, and I didn't grind any of them. My hardest nodes ended around 280 if I remember correctly. Pretty sure I never broke 300, but I also didn't look at what they leveled to after I cleared them the 7th time when I had to do that many clears. Essential nodes started in the 140-160 range I believe. Beast was my highest level character this PvE (I do have 2 un-leveled 5*s), so I guess he got a bigger boost than Psylocke and Blade did - I don't remember.

My real question is - what would my results this PvE do to my scaling in the next one?
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Stanley71 wrote:
    It's lonley there, isn't it, XandorXerxes?
    You seem to be the only one who enjoyed the last PVE...

Nope, just the complainers are always the loudest. I thought it was a good test that hopefully D3 can find some things to improve on.

The scaling in the beta pve test was the determining factor for who got what placements. With boosts and careful play I found it difficult but not impossible.

Now in Venom Bomb it's back to who can clear fastest and be able to set an alarm and play when MPQ tells you to. If you are late on a clear and nodes sit at full points you can lose placement.

Not sure which I prefer.

Edit: EOTS - finished 10th with 159k. Scaling - final wave node started at 262-288 after 7th clear was 338 - 353. I have nine champed 4*S no leveled 5*s
  • St1nkf1st
    St1nkf1st Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think this change is a good step in right direction. Setting the "optimal" play goal so high, that normal people will not even try and those who are that crazy to feel playing a match3 game competitively and waste half a day into it every day should go for it. For all others its just a go as high as we can, when we want.
    I reached with a 3* roster, not counting the four 5* sitting in front of my 3* champ army with single cover each, with spending about 2h per day rank 25. Fair enough.
  • ramoramo86
    ramoramo86 Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options
    Give me my 24 hours window with 4-6 clears at full points and realistic scaling and i am in.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spiritclaw wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

Top ten of what, five hundred? Vs. bottom four hundred and ninety, I suppose. Probably good for you folk that this isn't a democracy. icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif

You raise a good point. By making progression-vital prizes the reward for top ten a strange meritocracy is forged in which the minority of the people feel more important that the huge majority if only because they are putting in several times the effort of others. How do you balance that as a developer? Do you seek to benefit the vast majority, or only the most enfranchised minority? Who /deserves/ it more? The answer is none, the system is broken and a placement reward scheme for PVE is harmful to the whole arrangement.
    Pylgrim wrote:

The hell? He was making a post that said he had a pleasant experience with the test. So did I. It's already been addressed that the grind is ridiculous for people who play competitively, the OP just wanted a place where people could share positive feedback, so it isn't lost among all the posts saying "if this changes, I quit." It will show BOTH sides of the story, and give more info to the developers.

It already seems like there's more negative feedback for this style than positive, at least among forumites, as shown by the numerous threads and posts. I doubt it'll happen, at least not without radical change. But please, let's let some people have their positive threads. OP was just speaking from his own personal experience, which is all any of us should be able to do.

I have nothing against people being positive and talking about positive experiences. I had left this thread alone if it wasn't for the OP's remark at feeling entirely fine with his/her boon coming at increased difficulty for other people.
    You missed the point, completely, of this thread and what competition is. You're right, I don't know, and I don't care to. Regardless, that's off-topic. There's no way that they can change the 8-hour point system without changing how the competition works.

I didn't miss your point. In fact, I'm intently not touching your point. Good thing that you enjoyed the test and it was beneficial for you and the likes of you, whatever, good on ya mate, et al. But I take trouble with your "I don't care for competitive playing, so tinykitty competitive players" attitude, especially with the arbitrary statement that it is perfectly ok to make things more difficult for us. My post was merely pointing out that you have no idea how difficult it is already as to support a further increase in difficulty, so long as it benefits you.
  • Sambuca
    Sambuca Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I thought this thread was a fairly well-balanced discussion without having to limit who responds to only those players who had a good experience.
    viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=41535

This is a forum, it's meant to allow anyone the chance to speak; good or bad. If the response to the PvE test seems overwhelmingly negative, then either the squeaky wheels are REALLY squeaky here or maybe there is some merit in what they were saying. Now, if the developers look at the feedback threads and don't read all of it because TL;DR, that is an entirely different issue. We could probably take all of the key points that were raised multiple times and make a poll out of it and make it easier for them (I'm not volunteering!). While I understand the intention of the OP in making this thread (making sure that people who liked the PvE changes shown in the test were heard in one easy-to-find place), there was also an official feedback thread created by the administration where a number of people spent time writing about their experiences that shouldn't be ignored.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bottom line, it wasn't an improvement for anyone, casual players targeting 3☆ progression had to play more, players targeting LT had to play more, competitive players had to play more.
  • XandorXerxes
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I didn't miss your point. In fact, I'm intently not touching your point. Good thing that you enjoyed the test and it was beneficial for you and the likes of you, whatever, good on ya mate, et al. But I take trouble with your "I don't care for competitive playing, so tinykitty competitive players" attitude, especially with the arbitrary statement that it is perfectly ok to make things more difficult for us. My post was merely pointing out that you have no idea how difficult it is already as to support a further increase in difficulty, so long as it benefits you.

Sorry you read it that way, it's very clearly not what I said. Competitive players are welcome to play however they like and I don't have anything against them. It is OK to make things more difficult for all of us, especially in a competition, as long as the rules are applied fairly. If the developers designed the new scoring to raise the maximum grind so that those who can play "better" (do more on the same number of healthpacks) for longer times, then I don't see anything wrong with that. What I couldn't (and still can't) comment on is how the new scaling affects that grind, because I don't play that way - which is what my original statement was supposed to acknowledge.
    fmftint wrote:
    Bottom line, it wasn't an improvement for anyone, casual players targeting 3☆ progression had to play more, players targeting LT had to play more, competitive players had to play more.

Assuming "having to play more" automatically disqualifies it as an improvement, which I don't agree with:

Did they have to play more because of the node scoring, or did they have to play more because the nodes scaled too high and they started losing rounds? The scoring is a different matter than the scaling. If other 1-3* or casual players had similar scaling, but had to play more because of scoring, then I'd say the new system worked as intended for those players but that the scores need adjustment. If the 1-3* or casual players couldn't defeat the nodes, then there's an issue with the scaling.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree that having to play more for progression is not an improvement.

I do think the gap between progression and placement is too narrow though. If we have to have placement in our PvE, then I think the current model of racing to hit a theoretical maximum number of points is a really stupid way to determine it. If they want it to be a race then there shouldn't be so many artificial barriers and if they want it to be a grind then they shouldn't make it so uniformly difficult.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Raising the progression points again was not welcome at all.

The new system was better in my opinion but it definitely needs work to make it usable. It was nothing more than a good idea needing work. If they kept the point requirements the same or lower slightly to account for the ridiculous difficulty then I'd be ok with it.

For the record I'm a 3* transitioner almost finished with the transition and have 3 usable 4* who are still not fully covered and my levels were 314 at max and 120 at lowest
  • Clamps2
    Clamps2 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It seems that a lot of people had similar experiences, but came to different conclusions.

Conclusion 1:
    "The scaling was too hard, and the max progression was too high. But the new format was better, so it's a step in the right direction."

Conclusion 2:
    "The scaling was too hard, and the max progression was too high. ABORT!! ABORT!!!"

I think the biggest problem is that we don't know what the developer's intent is. I think they got the specifics of scaling wrong, but are on the right track. For instance, they never should have taken out trivial/easy nodes, at least for the first few clears. If you have 100 chars in your roster, the entire difficulty shouldn't only be based on your best ones. That's already what PVP is about. And progression may have just been a miscalculation with the increased difficulty and lack of rubberbanding.

OR maybe it ends up just being like the championing system. "Oh, you realized that championed 3* are actually relatively less powerful than before? It's a feature!"

tl;dr: I think it's better, but only if the devs are actually willing to fix the scaling and progression.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Clamps2 wrote:
    It seems that a lot of people had similar experiences, but came to different conclusions.

Conclusion 1:
    "The scaling was too hard, and the max progression was too high. But the new format was better, so it's a step in the right direction."

Conclusion 2:
    "The scaling was too hard, and the max progression was too high. ABORT!! ABORT!!!"

I think the biggest problem is that we don't know what the developer's intent is. I think they got the specifics of scaling wrong, but are on the right track. For instance, they never should have taken out trivial/easy nodes, at least for the first few clears. If you have 100 chars in your roster, the entire difficulty shouldn't only be based on your best ones. That's already what PVP is about. And progression may have just been a miscalculation with the increased difficulty and lack of rubberbanding.

OR maybe it ends up just being like the championing system. "Oh, you realized that championed 3* are actually relatively less powerful than before? It's a feature!"

tl;dr: I think it's better, but only if the devs are actually willing to fix the scaling and progression.

I agree with #1 except I enjoyed the early nodes being a small challenge. Currently I play those with my single power, unlevelled 5*'s. A necessary waste of time to get resources. With the new format, I could play the max progress point nodes that I had a healed roster available to beat.
    Now - the progression points were way off. I scored a typical top 100, and probably could have hit top 50 but gave up when I realized there wasn't a big pile of CP waiting for me.
  • Shadow
    Shadow Posts: 155
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

So, the OP got shot down. I will contribute from the perspective of someone who always hits t5 for all non new release characters. Competitive enough for you? I hit t5 on this one for less effort than a regular pve.

Most of the changes are good and beneficial to both the competitive players as well as the casual players.

From my perspective, there is 1 thing that is a major issue. The scaling is based on boosted characters. If they change it to be based on non boosted character levels, this would be a major improvement to this new system. Considering that the boosted characters this round were the strong ones: iceman, cyclops, xfdp, the pve was still playable. However, imagine if this test had been the week prior where NF, Carnage were the boosted. It would have made the pve unplayable.

So, fix the system to take out the boosted characters from scaling consideration and I am a supporter for this new system.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:

Bottom line it was an improvement for many. Players may have had to 'play more', but the trick is they could play more when they wanted to.

Yeah if you wanted top 10 you still had to play at specific times, but for the rest of us it was much more relaxed.