Facebook

Druss
Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I've read recently that peeps using phones gain iso/covers from facebook, whilst peeps using a PC (steam) do not.

Why is this & why is this a fair model?

I read in one post that 1 person was receiving approx. 30k iso a day (seems a lot - exaggerated?)

So a phone player can level a 4* in 2 weeks, whilst a PC player can do the same in 4 weeks everything else being equal (play-style, performance, time spent, etc.)

Hardly seems fair?

Comments

• The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I believe Steam was a later add, and it doesn't allow the kind of sharing that the mobile app does (or perhaps it's just hard and so they haven't gotten to it). So until they can add that functionality, the only other alternative is to take it away from mobile users. Go ahead and post that in the Suggestions forum.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    theyve addressed this before. the basic answer is steam users make up too small a percentage of players to devote resources to make it work. and theyve decided long ago to do nothing about assisting steam users with the relative loss of iso they are able to get compared to their phone/tablet brethren.

on the plus side steam users can play on 27+" monitors with a nicer interface and use a mouse. dont know if that makes up for thousands of iso per week or not.
  • mindsuckr
    mindsuckr Posts: 154
    If it makes you feel any better, a small chunk of us mobile users can't do it either. They say there is something wrong on Facebook's end, and FB does nothing to fix it. We're left in reward limbo. icon_e_sad.gif
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    As a person that has their account linked to FB you would need to start adding random people to your account to make it worthwhile. Are you really going to add 1000 people to FB for resources in a mobile game? Plus the amount you get ranges from 70-250 per share, you can only pick three random people to share with at a time (unless it's a 1 star cover then you get 10). So the 30K is someone likely bragging about something that didn't happen. I could see 3-5 K max. If you were willing to be desperate enough to add random people or make a second fake account. Both of those options I think are ridiculous for a person over the age of 15 to do for a mobile game.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Druss wrote:
    I've read recently that peeps using phones gain iso/covers from facebook, whilst peeps using a PC (steam) do not...Hardly seems fair?

Unfortunately an old issue....

... but with a new twist.

I clued in today that mobile users are occasionally given the opportunity to share 4* covers.

Wow.

Hope this motivates the few, the proud, the MPQ players on Steam, to put a finer point on the pitchfork.

Pics or it didn't happen.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    That can't be true. It must be photo-shopped. I've never been able to share more than a 1* cover, and no one has ever shared a cover with me that's not a 1* cover. I appreciate every one I've received, of course! But they've always been 1*s. And the highest ISO shared is 250, except during some week long ago when they gave double iso.. then it was 500. Ah, I miss those days.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Druss wrote:
    I've read recently that peeps using phones gain iso/covers from facebook, whilst peeps using a PC (steam) do not...Hardly seems fair?

I clued in today that mobile users are occasionally given the opportunity to share 4* covers.

Wow.

Hope this motivates the few, the proud, the MPQ players on Steam, to put a finer point on the pitchfork.

EDIT to add (for the tedious):
    1458580145772_zpsuumjz3re.jpg
    I'm assuming that's a fake. I'm not aware of the program being allowed to share gifts from token pulls. It can only share node rewards, right? I'm not familiar with any node that granted a 4* cover as the reward.

And the facebook benefits are grossly over rated. Unless you have added a TON of people that are strangers to your facebook profile, you really aren't getting much. I share a lot more than I get, in fact, I haven't received any facebook "gifts" in a long time. Maybe the people I've added stopped playing, or they have tons of friends added and I just never get randomly picked from the group.

Nothing to get riled up over.
  • The Bob The
    JVReal wrote:
    Druss wrote:

Wow.

EDIT to add (for the tedious):
    1458580145772_zpsuumjz3re.jpg

I'm assuming that's a fake. I'm not aware of the program being allowed to share gifts from token pulls. It can only share node rewards, right? I'm not familiar with any node that granted a 4* cover as the reward.

And the facebook benefits are grossly over rated. Unless you have added a TON of people that are strangers to your facebook profile, you really aren't getting much. I share a lot more than I get, in fact, I haven't received any facebook "gifts" in a long time. Maybe the people I've added stopped playing, or they have tons of friends added and I just never get randomly picked from the group.

Nothing to get riled up over.

I was in the room where it was shared too. Based on the user, I don't think it's a fake.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Steam backs up to Steam, not FB. My understanding is to make a similar arrangement work for Steam users would require altering Steam. Either to connect to FB and allow FB to write to Steam backups (yeah right!) or to allow trading of in-game currencies with Steam friends. Publishers can ask Platforms to modify themselves, but that's generally not how it works. Their way or the highway. Not for a teensy playerbase like MPQ Steam users.

And yeah, 30K iso a day is very exaggerated. Maybe in the early days ... maybe if you're able to add a ton of friends who are active and have very few friends, increasing the chance they will share with you when they share. I have a mobile account. Added 700 or so friends for the heck of it (I dont use FB for anything else so what the hell), It's gets a couple hundred iso worth of stuff a day.

There are other games (Gems of War for one) where Steam/Mobile are linked through facebook. So it's entirely doable, but yeah, they're not doing it. IceIX said the average player is only getting 100 iso, and obviously that's where they base things on. The top 1% aren't swaying their decisions.

As far as the 30k, he's not exaggerating (or at least he wasn't). At the time, he was maxing his 3* characters from scratch every 3-4 days. Has/had 5k friends linked. I know of others that are/were doing 10k with FB, but again, couple thousand friends.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    As for the pic...I've had something similar happen to me, once with a 3* cover (maybe DDQ reward?) and once with a special token (I think it was an Ultron token). Both times I contacted the friends I saw it was sent to and none of them actually received those gifts. I believe they received 250 iso instead, which is quite a bummer, but its the best reward you can get from sharing so not so bad really.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still wish they would take an average amount, and just give the Steam players a daily drop of that amount.

1K a day, and I'd have three-quarters of a million ISO on this, my 2nd year anniversary day all on Steam.

I've always said I'd gladly give up "nice screen shot" for actual, in-game resources we're losing out on.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    In fairness, the playing field is level within a platform. As far as I know, Steam users are not playing against mobile users. The mobile users may be able to glean better rewards from social media, but since no one on Steam gets that benefit, you can't claim your personal account is less competitive - everyone within your competitive pool is working with the same advantages and disadvantages as you.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:
    In fairness, the playing field is level within a platform. As far as I know, Steam users are not playing against mobile users. The mobile users may be able to glean better rewards from social media, but since no one on Steam gets that benefit, you can't claim your personal account is less competitive - everyone within your competitive pool is working with the same advantages and disadvantages as you.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but there aren't two separate pools of players, everyone competes "equally" against everyone else regardless of what platform they play on. The only way the game separates players is the (somewhat arbitrary) "vet", "noob", "intermediate" stuff you see people talking about.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:
    In fairness, the playing field is level within a platform. As far as I know, Steam users are not playing against mobile users.

Extremely false. All users are in the same bracket regardless of platform.

Would be a pretty terrible game if Steam were isolated, there's only a couple thousand of us.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I followed the MPQ add advice of some and have around 300+ FB friends that play. I get about 10K extra iso a day legitimately, because one day I counted the number of rewards I got (It was around 85). That being said, the standard rewards are iso, crit, or 1* covers. Once and awhile you'll get a 2* or some health, but I've never seen anything greater than that. I subscribe to the theory that while it says you can gift large rewards such as the Teen Jean screenshot above, it's actually converted to 250 iso in the process. I've seen similar screens where a 2000 iso reward was gifted from iso bros, and it was confirmed to convert to 250 by the recipient.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meander wrote:
    I get about 10K extra iso a day legitimately

This game is so dumb sometimes I can't even handle it.

Nothing against you Meander, but with all the inconsistency of who actually gets these rewards and who doesn't, who is willing to pollute their FB friends list, what platform people play on and the general stinginess with ISO and they allow THIS? 10k per day? Or more for some people? I gotta put on my Ugg boots and get a starbucks frappucino because I can't even right now.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards

And yeah, 30K iso a day is very exaggerated. Maybe in the early days ... maybe if you're able to add a ton of friends who are active and have very few friends, increasing the chance they will share with you when they share. I have a mobile account. Added 700 or so friends for the heck of it (I dont use FB for anything else so what the hell), It's gets a couple hundred iso worth of stuff a day.

I know who started the 30k number. My old alliance did a 24hr gift test. Once guy had around 1500 mpq friend, another guy had around 4000 and the guy who "reported" the 30k number had around 4500 mpq friends (who was also in our alliance).

Person 1 generated about 12k in iso in 24 hours.
    Preson 2 generated about 20k in iso in 24 hours.

So the 30k number that gets mentioned is a bit of an over exaggeration, but its not that far off from actual verified results.

The "quality" of your friends makes a big difference in how often you get gifts. I.e. no gifts from Ray-ban advertising friends. And I also know that person 3 spends a fair amount of time manging and pruning their friend list.

Bottom line; its a bit over exagerated, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were generating 20k+. That said, this was well over a 1 year ago and they may have made changes to the gift selection process.
  • Meander
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Meander wrote:

Nothing against you Meander, but with all the inconsistency of who actually gets these rewards and who doesn't, who is willing to pollute their FB friends list, what platform people play on and the general stinginess with ISO and they allow THIS? 10k per day? Or more for some people? I gotta put on my Ugg boots and get a starbucks frappucino because I can't even right now.

I can understand the frustration for Steam users, because the function is just not there, which sucks for them. And those that try it and just dont seem to get the gifts, because that population is out there and that also sucks. But those that 'don't want to pollute their facebook' seem to be using a huge cop out. Create a gaming FB account, or dont take FB so seriously (because its a huge joke anyway) or create a custom user group that have a limited view of your profile if you're afraid of strangers. To me, creating some excuse over not doing it is akin to someone saying "Hey, there's $100 bucks on the ground across the street" and you replying "YOU MEAN I HAVE TO CROSS THE STREET??? UGH"
  • The Bob The
    Meander wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Meander wrote:

I can understand the frustration for Steam users, because the function is just not there, which sucks for them. And those that try it and just dont seem to get the gifts, because that population is out there and that also sucks. But those that 'don't want to pollute their facebook' seem to be using a huge cop out. Create a gaming FB account, or dont take FB so seriously (because its a huge joke anyway) or create a custom user group that have a limited view of your profile if you're afraid of strangers. To me, creating some excuse over not doing it is akin to someone saying "Hey, there's $100 bucks on the ground across the street" and you replying "YOU MEAN I HAVE TO CROSS THE STREET??? UGH"

As head of a major nonexistent foundation, I would like to hire you to write similes for us. You're clearly wasting your talents here on the Internet.
  • Meander
    Will create similes for ISO. Just sayin