Demiurge: are we never supposed to face low level opponents?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Between locking out the prologue, ramping up the "easy" node difficulties in pve, and trying to phase out seed teams as early as possible in pvp, it is now basically impossible for someone with a max 3* or greater roster to face opponents below level 150.

Is this intentional? How can we try out our weaker characters? How can we test new combinations in a low stakes environment? Are we really not supposed to use any character until we have collected 10+ covers and invested 50-100k iso?

This discussion is an adjunct to the larger scaling/pve test that is currently ongoing, but it's still important and shouldn't be overlooked. Can we get a red comment on the design intent? What, if anything, are we supposed to do with underleveled/undercovered characters?

Comments

• tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but my guess is they expect you to go to the store, buy a literal kitty-ton of ISO (which gets you some numbers of CPs as well), and spend it on the character you want to try out...
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Agreed, the removal of the actual "Easy" nodes from the PVE is frustrating. I always throw together some underleveled teams in those nodes & try & find interesting combos to use. Its where I figured out my current "Fun" team combo of QS, DD, & PX. Without those easy nodes I would've probably never decided to level all 3 of them up.
  • Vhailorx
    Tanis,

That is why I want a clear statement of design goals from the devs. If that's their intent then at least we will know not to complain about the unusability of low level characters.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I -like- using my 2*'s. I -like- using my 3*'s. I like trying out the 4*'s that I don't have the hundreds of million ISO I need to level!

The prologue and DDQ lock out as soon as they are done. No chance to use "weak" teams anywhere! Why do I have 85 roster slots open when I use five of those characters with any regularity?

How about an event that has lots of various difficulty nodes, each to be done once - and any character you use (win with?) once is locked out for the rest of the event.

Lots of ways to get folks a way to use their roster, and make their past progress still seem worthwhile.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    If you get in on lightning rounds quickly you can hit a 7 to 8 seed teams. It's honestly the only fun I've had with the game this week.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    If you get in on lightning rounds quickly you can hit a 7 to 8 seed teams. It's honestly the only fun I've had with the game this week.

I keep hoping for 24/7 LR's.

Want to know the most fun I've ever, ever had in this game? The mobile server must have crashed, and I was able to run LR's for almost an hour while only seeing two other "real" players. Got to 350 points just on seeds.

If they had a "nothing but seed" tourney/bracket, I doubt I'd ever play anything else.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    STOPTHIS wrote:

I keep hoping for 24/7 LR's.

Want to know the most fun I've ever, ever had in this game? The mobile server must have crashed, and I was able to run LR's for almost an hour while only seeing two other "real" players. Got to 350 points just on seeds.

If they had a "nothing but seed" tourney/bracket, I doubt I'd ever play anything else.
    ha - i'm sure that's basically what maxed rosters see whenever they play PvP icon_e_smile.gif
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Is this intentional? How can we try out our weaker characters? How can we test new combinations in a low stakes environment?

Well, there is technically still DDQ.
    It's not much, but ...
  • Vhailorx
    _RiO_ wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Is this intentional? How can we try out our weaker characters? How can we test new combinations in a low stakes environment?

Well, there is technically still DDQ.
    It's not much, but ...

Ddq is full of roster restrictions and essential nodes. Plus it locks out after completion. It's hardly a sandbox mode.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    I have a decent roster of 3 stars (I currently have 15 who are leveled up to the max, not including championing), but no fully covered 4 stars. It seems like I'm doomed to forever be stuck in this hell, as I've been doing this same old song and dance for over a year now. Trying to get a 4 star, especially a good one, fully covered is extremely difficult, even if I spend money.

Anyway, I just jumped into the current PvE event and used Punisher, Psylocke, and The Hood since I have them maxed and they were powered up for the event. I know they're not the most synergistic team, but they were destroyed by the very first non-team up node, which completely took me by surprise - why the heck should I expect any boosted level 241 team to get beaten so badly on the first node? I don't even want to try again with my other characters, especially since they're only levels 168-173, and this is the first node - what are the rest going to be like? I had enough trouble placing high enough to get a 4 star before, but this makes it all but impossible.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    I'll be honest. I've been playing this game so long now, the only thing I can possibly equate to as "fun" anymore, is content I can blow threw super fast, and super efficiently, to get good results.

Thats it.

It has to be at least 2 of those things, otherwise it sucks.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    The trivial nodes are also an important source of frustration-relief for a lot of reasons. Did you lose to a tough node, and are now disgusted with the game? Well, go slaughter a few of the super-easy nodes to vent instead of quitting. Only have five minutes to play, but want a few points and an unclaimed prize or two? Hammer the trivial nodes! They are also a nice "ramp-up" sort of thing, when you know there are a few nodes you are going to stomp regardless of how nasty things get. I think those are important things in story mode. I don't want *every* fight to be a slog. I like to be able to cackle maniacally when there's at least a few nodes where my star.pngstar.pngstar.png A-team can end things in seconds. We worked hard to earn and level these heroes and villains, make sure we can let them shine on at least a few nodes in every event!
  • Why, you use them for baking cupcakes of course!
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Why, you use them for baking cupcakes of course!

What if they apply similar matchmaking logic from the current test to PVP? It may make cupcakes a thing of the past if you can only see teams that are of similar scale of your roster strength.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    We do not talk about cup cake club.
  • Inarius
    Inarius Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    NO! How else are you supposed to buy dem health packs? now...

68bEZnT.jpg
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    The notion of having easy nodes to test out low level characters is nice and true but honestly I just want some nodes that are easy to beat. It's a match 3 game and I like to relax playing it. If every run is a hard endeavor it becomes draining instead of relaxing.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    This also has the effect of completely shutting out kids who love a match 3 game.

My son often liked to do the easy nodes - I just let him use whichever 2/3* he wished, leaving me with the more robust characters for more serious play.

He loved to describe how he used Bag-man & moonstone to beat whomever, as this point I dare not allow him to play or there would be tears everywhere. (instead of just me!)
  • Vhailorx
    Druss wrote:
    This also has the effect of completely shutting out kids who love a match 3 game.

My son often liked to do the easy nodes - I just let him use whichever 2/3* he wished, leaving me with the more robust characters for more serious play.

He loved to describe how he used Bag-man & moonstone to beat whomever, as this point I dare not allow him to play or there would be tears everywhere. (instead of just me!)

This is another consideration left out of my original email (since I don't have kids that are interested in playing this game). But when the prologue nodes were locked down, I remember a whole lot of complaints along these lines. And a lot of the counter-responses were: there's still trivial nodes in PVE that arguably serve the same purpose.

Well, no longer. . .
  • Vinmarc43
    Vinmarc43 Posts: 266
    After 800+ days playing this game ( don't know why ...but ), I have seen it all, but the worst thing is that the DEV team is totally brainless and can't do a GDT right the first time, I mean NEVER, it blows my mind and want to go to that office and shake them people silly.....AHHH !!! now that felt good.... dummy`s... icon_e_confused.gif