Simulator brutality on 3* transitioners

bpcontra
bpcontra Posts: 176
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
This simulator is absolutely brutal as a 3* transitioning into 4* land. Level 220+ feeders with heavy hitters....uhg.

There needs to be some sort of delineation between 3* and 4* players...it's been said a million times now but it is getting nearly impossible to gain 4* characters which can be leveled adequately. As more 4* get introduced, it just means your LT's get spread out around more 4*s....so rather than having 4 or 5 fully covered, I have 12 with 4 or 5 covers...which are all essentially useless and weaker than maxed 3*.

In order to make this not a complete whine thread, I think Quake is a great addition with very interesting skills and good design. Just wish I had her icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    bpcontra wrote:
    This simulator is absolutely brutal as a 3* transitioning into 4* land. Level 220+ feeders with heavy hitters....uhg.

Only level 220? Sounds like a breeze!

Sorry, someone was going to say it, and I thought I'd give Simonsez the day off. Simulator is brutal for everyone. Well, everyone who doesn't have a bunch of whaled-out 5*.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't gotten to the left-hand Simulator ladder. I'm not looking forward to it. Seems a little brutal just given the choice of essentials. The brand new 4*, as expected, which virtually no one will have covered. Then Sentry and Moonstone? Probably the least-rostered 3*, and then the most populous cover that very few people have sunk levels into.

I, personally, do not have a complementary roster that will make up for the utter uselesness of the essentials. I've got enough to get by, but it's going to cost some health packs on each attempt. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to breach top 100 in this event.

For the larger issue of the 4* glut - I commiserate. I'm in exactly the same position - ~ 90% of the 4*s rostered, 90% of those useless until I get more covers for them. Diluting the percentages by adding more characters does not help. I've been champ'ing my 3*s like a madman trying to get LTs and covers as quickly as possible, but the 4* introductions are outpacing my efforts. Given the rarity of avenues to guaranteed covers I probably won't have any useful 4*s for 6-12 months. Even then, my two closest are XFW and IW - not exactly top-tier.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    My life in PvE has been considerably easier since discovering the combo of Iceman/Xforce Deadpool/Iron Man Model 40...seriously, 6 yellow and a little luck and it's over. Before that it was winfinite (or Charlie's Angels I've heard it called) and before that it was the pre-nerf craziness of Xforce Wolvie and 4-Thor. All of these great combos rely on 4* characters however, I can't even imagine taking on these nodes as a 3* player. I'm pretty sure I'd hang up the towel after one event. I don't know how y'all do it, but kudos to all the puzzle warriors out there that stick with it!
  • bpcontra
    Haha I like that...puzzle warrior.....

That's exactly how I feel after going through 4 or 5 health packs to pass one simulator level
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Out of curiosity, even tough my 4* rooster is well developed (champed imhb, cyc, carnage, jg, rulk, xdp) I've decided to actually try and do it with fully 3* rooster just to prove it's doable. I've cleared sim4 (lvl 267 opponents) and onward with kk, beast and hood - without using single hp. whole clear took me just few min longer than both earlier clears where I was using my 4*. So as you can see - it's doable, it's nearly as easy as with 4*, even more - if you don't have 4* as I have (carnage is boosted this week so that increase opponents lvls even further) it should be faster. I see more and more posts complaining about transition, nerfs to 3* etc but I really feel that those arguments mostly exaggerated and biggest complain that imho is valid is about iso shortage. So really, try to change your mindset and enjoy chars that are available to you (and if you're trying to transition into 4* then I guess you have full spectrum of 3* to use), this game can be really entertaining - on each of tier lvls - be it 2,3,4 or 5*. Just know your limits icon_e_smile.gif
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep. I spent some Deadpool whale points on that Iceman/Thing match. Tinykitty that noise.

I'm anxious to see how they fix scaling. Though, I'm fully expecting to still get screwed over since I've got 5*s (despite their useless state of two at a single cover, and OML at an unimpressive two covers). One step forward, two steps back.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was looking forward to Simulator as a chance to encounter a wider variety of characters - all the new 4*s, the 5*s - we only saw SS once in the first sim after he was released.

Disappointing that the newest character in the first sub was just bobby, and some nova/gwen teamups.
  • Kjempen
    Kjempen Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    To those who say it can be done with 3* team: try simulation 07 in round 2 (4* Cyclops and 4* Jean Grey)....
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I breezed it pretty easily with Teen Jean, 4Thor and IM40. 4Thor is lvl 210, the other two are champed. That Thing/Switch/Iceman node was still annoying as hell though. STUNSTUNSTUNLAWLZ.

If you were just working with 3*s, yeah, I could see how this would be really effing hard. Since the boosted characters mostly suck I feel like the best option would be to just go with the best all-around team available, boosts be damned - my personal choice would be Kamala, Steve and IM40.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    firethorne wrote:
    Yep. I spent some Deadpool whale points on that Iceman/Thing match. Tinykitty that noise.

I'm anxious to see how they fix scaling. Though, I'm fully expecting to still get screwed over since I've got 5*s (despite their useless state of two at a single cover, and OML at an unimpressive two covers). One step forward, two steps back.

Loki is hilarious against Thing. Steal all those huge protect tiles and turn them into strikes. icon_lol.gif
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Patience. There're still two more subs. Doubtless the last node in the last sub will consist of OML, Black Spidey and whichever 5* best complements them

Pretty sure it will just be V1 Round 8 Galactus for the 3rd.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    If it helps transitioners, I was able to beat Round 2, Sim 7 today (4* Cyke/JG/2*Storm at lvl 280), with a 3* team - IF/Cage/She-Hulk. That was after they wiped my previous two attempts, one which had 200+ lvl 4*'s in it.

And the other team that wiped, , also 3* only, was just due to bad luck - C.Mags/Patch/Loki was dominating until an ill fated Illusions triggered a cascade into a 5 star match for Jean to exploit.

Keep at it. Its frustrating, I know, but if you're moving on to 4* roster, then you've got the 3*'s to pull this off. Target them in this order: 2* Storm, then 4* Cyke, then JG.

Both those teams should work on the Iceman/Thing/Switch node too. Especially if you respec Cage to 5 on his black to get his stun. That should help manage Ben and Bobby much easier.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was looking forward to Simulator as a chance to encounter a wider variety of characters - all the new 4*s, the 5*s - we only saw SS once in the first sim after he was released.

Disappointing that the newest character in the first sub was just bobby, and some nova/gwen teamups.
    Patience. There're still two more subs. Doubtless the last node in the last sub will consist of OML, Black Spidey and whichever 5* best complements them

Well, newest character in sub 2 is 4cyc. One essential has 2* Daken, Rags, and .... 2* Miss Marvel! So exciting and different! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • bpcontra
    I didn't say it can't be done...it's just very frustrating.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    3*Cyc/IF has gotten me through all of Round 1 Sim with partner depending on matchup (though KK is generally good, or a person with stun). With 1 maxed 4* I'm not bothering to use them generally.

Sim has always been a challenge. It and gauntlet are two of my favorites since they provide variety each time. If you have a great 3* roster then it is doable.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    irwando wrote:
    3*Cyc/IF has gotten me through all of Round 1 Sim with partner depending on matchup (though KK is generally good, or a person with stun).
    them with hood got me through 4-6 without a healthpack need. used a different team for 7, but it included loki with 4cyke and jean. jean and loki together are pretty effective against witch.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Having the just released 4* as essential in the next event is such a ridiculous practice.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    On the rirst runthrough of sub 2, i easily beat Quicksilver/Blade/Spidey and Kingpin/Fist/Witch. Second runthrough, i got wiped by them twice each; only won on the third attempt. Using the same characters i used for the respective nodes. What do i ascribe that to eh

Starting board state can make a lot of difference.

Kp/fist/witch can be very tricky. If witch blue countdown gets into a place you can't reach, she can potentially generate a lot of purple ap. Then with fist purple generating more black, it becomes a poke fest for KP.

I had to play it 6 times to get the CP, and there are times I just keep getting poke, and at times witch and fist didn't even fire any ability.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    They seem to have skipped coming up with new Simulator nodes in favor of just copying the last time it ran.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was able to get through with my high-powered 5*. But that's after literally years of not being able to do well at all. Actually, I've been able to beat all nodes before, but it was very draining on my health packs.

Now also I have a large bench of usable characters to create better defenses against the tougher rounds and save health packs if one of them dies. For example, for that tough round with thing, ice and sw, I used jg and hood to stun them back and drain as much ap as possible.