It's time to expand slice options

Options

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like my current structure, and I'd rather not change it.

12pm noon PVE

12pm noon Wednesday PVP end

Midnight Fri/Sat and Sun/Mon PVP end
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd like one that starts at 9am Sydney time (GMT+10) which is when I take my morning **** at work.

TIA.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    How is using UTC gonna solve anything? You still have to look at whatever offset you're in. Developper is also in the US, makes sense to use the time zone that they are in.

Because most of us know our offset from UTC, but have no idea of our offset from EST. So when you ask for 9pm EST I have no idea what that is relative to myself, whereas if you had put it in UTC I'd know if it were remotely useful to me.

That's kind of the point of UTC really, a common frame of reference. As opposed to an American 'why does anyone else matter?' frame of reference.
  • Actually, we have 4, Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific. BUT! You have to also factor in that we are the only nutters that also observe daylight savings time, which changes all the time zones separate from the rest of the world.

We also have daylight savings time in Australia. Even crazier, not all of the east coast states of Australia observes daylight savings. It even gets us confused icon_eek.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    How is using UTC gonna solve anything? You still have to look at whatever offset you're in. Developper is also in the US, makes sense to use the time zone that they are in.

Because most of us know our offset from UTC, but have no idea of our offset from EST. So when you ask for 9pm EST I have no idea what that is relative to myself, whereas if you had put it in UTC I'd know if it were remotely useful to me.

That's kind of the point of UTC really, a common frame of reference. As opposed to an American 'why does anyone else matter?' frame of reference.
    Personally I know exactly what the EST time is but I have no idea about UTC. Then again, I have a lot of internet friends on the US East Coast, so that helps quite a bit.
  • gpep024
    gpep024 Posts: 20
    Options
    Yes yes. Please yes.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd like if there were less slices for PVP, so there'd be more people per slice.
    PVE should be progression rewards only imho.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    I'd like if there were less slices for PVP, so there'd be more people per slice.
    PVE should be progression rewards only imho.
    I'd definitely support changing the CP progression reward in PvE to a cover for the featured fourstar.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    9pm EST would mean getting up at 5am for a pve clear, pass.. i need to sleep, i get up for work at 5:30, and do my ddq during coffee, would never have time for a pve clear.
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like the 1st slice for PVE - 12 noon GMT - can start during lunch, grind at the 8 hour mark at home after kids in bed, then slack off work in the morning grinding down the nodes (weekends more difficult with family stuff) to get points.
  • theo199
    theo199 Posts: 79
    Options
    Lol, don't talk 'em about UTC, they don't even know what a meter is icon_e_wink.gif

International System of Units is used only by the rest of the world after all icon_rolleyes.gif
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dump slices entirely. Give all events a 24hr window to join and a run time....preferably have all events last multiples of 24hrs. Each player's event ends when they joined.

Convenient times for everyone, an end to bracket sniping, no more stressing over fresh brackets, etc, etc.

Players can still be segregated into various levels of noob and vet pools to ensure continued reward distributions.

This is intriguing... without brackets, I wonder if 1.3k in pvp will get someone in top 1000? And maybe 175% full progression won't let you look inside t100 for pve. Scores are very competitive these days. icon_e_smile.gif
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slices /= brackets.

You mentioned no bracket sniping... I assume you mean joining at the last possible minute then?

However, if we keep brackets, there would still be no way to tell your true rank until the end with everyone joining at different times. Expect a million voices to cry out in outrage when they finish their run at 1/10/100/200 and the event ends with them at 5/15/105/205...
  • Linkster79 wrote:
    Seeing as this is an international global game can we please shy away from the usual Yankee superiority complex and refer to all times as UTC? May come as a shock but not every body on the planet knows all 9 US time zones.

I personally feel that there are currently plenty of options for most of us to find one that is convenient or near enough without the need to be diluting shards and brackets even further.

Hey now, we invented standardized time zones! In any case, complaining about American arrogance by advocating for an artifact of British imperialism demonstrates a curious lack of introspection.

It's certainly a fair enough point that referencing relative-UTC time will be more useful to the forum's international forum base; I'm just balking at the anti-American characterization.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I thought there was only one slice, slice 4 icon_razz.gif
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    9 PM would be too early for me. I like to play after the kids go to bed and 9 PM wouldn't allow for enough time to grind the end of a PvE. I'd rather see them move the 11 PM up to 10PM than create a new one at 9 PM.
    I take it back. If they are going to change optimal play to require 5 hours of grinding at one time a 9PM slot would work best for me.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hendross wrote:
    Lets make them random icon_e_confused.gif

"****, I got the 5:17 a.m. slice."
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dump slices entirely. Give all events a 24hr window to join and a run time....preferably have all events last multiples of 24hrs. Each player's event ends when they joined.

Convenient times for everyone, an end to bracket sniping, no more stressing over fresh brackets, etc, etc.

Players can still be segregated into various levels of noob and vet pools to ensure continued reward distributions.

I like the idea, but I don't think you'd ever have a true end to bracket sniping because the event's gotta end SOME time, so you'd always have those guys that'd show up in the last hour. Of course, that bracket would be entirely composed of those guys, so could be a positive change.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We do not need another slice. That would just make brackets fill even slower. No.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    7am et, I've been at work for an hour. 30 minute bathroom breaks are frowned upon.

9am. Again, bathroom break?

Noon. Noon is actually great for lunch time... except for the 2.5 hr opt grind on one side of noon and the 30+ minute grind on the other side.

3pm, I've just clocked out (if I'm lucky). Unless I want to go out to the parking garage and grind in my car...

5pm. Dinner time?

8pm. This one is great.

11pm. Bed time.

1am. No

4am. No.

No time is a good time for MPQ