It's time to expand slice options

Options
Arphaxad
Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I know that every time zone and every person has the perfect time they would like their slice to begin, but I'm not going to ask D3 to give us 24 slice options. What I'm asking is that one additional be added, 9pm EST. My reason is this, there is a 5pm and 11pm, that is a 6 hour difference. There should be something in the middle of that.

For me, and many other working east coast Americans, 5pm is when we clock out from work and 11pm is when we are in bed. If we had a 9pm we could get home from work (you know, where we go to make money to buy HPs), eat dinner, and get ready to play at 9pm. That would give us node refreash at 5am, when we are getting up and getting ready for work, 1pm, lunch time, and then grind around 7 or 8pm.

Like I said before, I know there may be a better time for you... tell me about it. List what time is the perfect slice and see if you can get support. I'm offering this poll to see how much support a 9pm EST slice can get in hopes D3 will add it as an option.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Seeing as this is an international global game can we please shy away from the usual Yankee superiority complex and refer to all times as UTC? May come as a shock but not every body on the planet knows all 9 US time zones.

I personally feel that there are currently plenty of options for most of us to find one that is convenient or near enough without the need to be diluting shards and brackets even further.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Options
    I agree with this, East Coast does not have a lot of attractive options whatsoever. A slice every 3 hours should be reasonable.

D3 should technically be all over this because it thins out the fields and ultimately awards less covers/iso to people. Win win for them!
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Marvel Puzzle Quest's time zone is
    0:00 = DDQ refresh

Also in favor of time slices evenly distributed, every ~3hrs
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:
    Seeing as this is an international global game can we please shy away from the usual Yankee superiority complex and refer to all times as UTC? May come as a shock but not every body on the planet knows all 9 US time zones.

I personally feel that there are currently plenty of options for most of us to find one that is convenient or near enough without the need to be diluting shards and brackets even further.

You foreigners with your inferiority complexes icon_lol.gif For the record, we only have 3 time zones on the mainland. Nobody is stopping you from proposing your own changes, we westerners believes in democracy after all. I think a 9pm time slice is reasonable.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I still miss the 9AM (that is, DDQ+3) start time. I leave for work at 9:30 so it was perfect. 9 PM would be good too. Slice 1 (7AM) only works if I don't care enough about the event to grind, and slice 4 means I sacrifice sleep.

(Pst...four time zones.)
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    MaxxPowerz wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:

You foreigners with your inferiority complexes icon_lol.gif For the record, we only have 3 time zones on the mainland. Nobody is stopping you from proposing your own changes, we westerners believes in democracy after all. I think a 9pm time slice is reasonable.

Actually, we have 4, Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific. BUT! You have to also factor in that we are the only nutters that also observe daylight savings time, which changes all the time zones separate from the rest of the world.

But on topic, I wouldn't mind more time slices, but it also brings to light the fact that there would be less competition in each time slice, because...wait, was I listing that as a bad thing? Better chances to get a higher rank? Sign me up! XD

But yeah, D3 unlikely to move past 5 different time slices.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,274 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:

How is using UTC gonna solve anything? You still have to look at whatever offset you're in. Developper is also in the US, makes sense to use the time zone that they are in.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can relate. I am on Central European Time, and my options are Slice 2 at 6 PM, Slice 3 at 11 PM and Slice 5 at 8AM... I'd love an entire around 9 PM.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    As an East Coaster, I don't think 9 PM is right. 10 PM would be better. Remember, you need to account for both the grind before the end of a slice as well as the clear after a slice. That means you need around 2 hours prior to sub end and about 1 hour afterwards. As it currently is, I have plenty of time after getting home to grind the sub nodes to 1, but then it is 11 PM when the next sub starts and I am lucky to be done playing by midnight. I most definitely am not playing the game at 6 AM for a clear though. I play on the bus ride to work and the bus ride home for most of my game time. I am more annoyed with the PvP time slice options though than the PvE.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    don't you guys have 11pm now? sorry but that is nit-picky to me. I have a 10pm perfect slice that I stay out of for placement because everyone in the country plays 4 nearly perfect. I play imperfect in another slice and have easy t50s and currently t10 for brotherhood. to do that in 4 would take way too much perfection.
  • LegendReborn
    Options
    Personally, I wish the 11 pm EST (slice 4) was pushed back 1 hour. It would allow me to get everything set after work and anything else set for the next day rather than sometimes having to sacrifice a chance at a good grind.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    9 PM would be too early for me. I like to play after the kids go to bed and 9 PM wouldn't allow for enough time to grind the end of a PvE. I'd rather see them move the 11 PM up to 10PM than create a new one at 9 PM.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If they just put all rewards on progressions and the event cool-down on a 24 hour timer (like Ultron/Galactus), time slices would be irrelevant.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm neutral about PVE slices.

For PVP, there should absolutely not be more slices. There should actually be less slices. Shields were put in place to help people that couldn't be there at the end of an event. Slices redundantly did the same. The result was a split in the player base which is why some people have a hard time making it to 1000 in one slice, and others with the exact same play habits can get to 1300 with ease in another.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think what we're seeing here is that there really is no "perfect" time for any time zone. I am also an east-coaster, and while 11PM mostly fits my needs, I would probably like best a 12 or 12:30 option instead. Perfect grinding takes usually a minimum of 2.5 and more like 3 hours for most events/subs. I have a job, family, etc. like many others here, and my family would like me to actually spend time with them when I'm home. So, kids get to bed maybe 8-ish, spend an hour or so with the wife, there's really no way for me to start grinding before 9-9:30. I used to do s5 (and was a stay at home dad), but grinds til 2 AM and clearing next sub until 2:30 or later is not really conducive to getting up and being productive at work the next day.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Time slices for PVE should be every 3 hours. There is no downfall to having more shards in PVE. Spreads out the competition, slightly increases the cover distribution.

I don't think there should be any more PVP time slices. Adding more slices to PVP will thin out the pool of people you are up against, and will have an impact on the game and end up with more dry slices.

If they could have more slices for PVE than PVP, then yes. If they have to give more slices to Both... no, stay the way it is.
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Fellow east coaster here as well and I don't have an issue with the slices. 11 pm is ideal but the scores are just so gaudy that I typically choose a slice that isn't as busy and I can battle for higher rewards. Unfortunately, that usually means I'm not available for the beginning or final few hours.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fellow East Coaster with an opinion.

9pm stinks for a final grind. Between dinner and kids bedtime, there's no time for that.
    10pm is better, but having a 10pm and 11pm slice is nonsense.

If you're gonna add a 6th slice, may as well just space them out every 4 hours with slice 1 coinciding with DDQ refresh. Wherever that falls, it falls.

The reality is there's nothing in this structure that's kind to people with responsibility. No matter where slices fall, a significant group of someones will be inconvenienced. Question more becomes whether that inconvenience is meaningful enough for you to work around it or not.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Lets make them random icon_e_confused.gif
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MaxxPowerz wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:

Actually, we have 4, Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific. BUT! You have to also factor in that we are the only nutters that also observe daylight savings time, which changes all the time zones separate from the rest of the world.

But on topic, I wouldn't mind more time slices, but it also brings to light the fact that there would be less competition in each time slice, because...wait, was I listing that as a bad thing? Better chances to get a higher rank? Sign me up! XD

But yeah, D3 unlikely to move past 5 different time slices.
    You forgot Hawaii which is in its own time zone as well so that means we are up to 5 time zones. I am not sure what Alaska is in???
    I would not be against an extra time slice or 2 to be added in. As it is right now I am just glad there are time slices so the game can truly be world wide. I have seen many games that just say the event ends at (blank time). MPQ at least understands how competitive each event is and has created different options that will work for a lot of people.