Blog Interview: MPQ & MtGPQ Producer, Josh Austin

Options
David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi everyone,

We just put up an interview on the blog with D3 Go!'s Josh Austin. Josh is the new producer for Marvel Puzzle Quest and Magic: The Gathering - Puzzle Quest. If you'd like a small peek at what goes into behind-the-scenes production at D3 Go! - you can READ IT HERE.

Thanks!

Quote:
"Q: You’re new to Marvel and Magic Puzzle Quest – but you’ve worked on previous D3 games?

Josh Austin: I worked at D3Publisher when the company was just starting up the American office. While working on the game Dark Sector, I had the chance to review the first Puzzle Quest game and got hooked right when it all first began.
"

Comments

• stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2016
    Options
    "Something very cool arriving in April."

Always a tease, never any details.

BTW, is this Cthulhu?
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cthulhu ?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

There are some great characters and events coming in Marvel Puzzle Quest. We have a few tie-ins with some big things in the Marvel universe. There’s something very cool arriving in April, so there’s not long to wait.

Iso-8 Windfall? Iso-8 Bonanza? Iso-8 Giveaway? Double Iso-8 All The Time Finally?
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Options
    Yes, that is Cthulhu. We can't always say what's coming with Marvel because it will reveal something too soon. Basically, it's not our fault!
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Always a tease, never any details.
    Civil War tie-in, perhaps (movie opens on May 6)?

Also: "my current favorite to play is Nova" -- but would you say he pairs well with Star-Lord?
  • stochasticism
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Yes, that is Cthulhu. We can't always say what's coming with Marvel because it will reveal something too soon. Basically, it's not our fault!

if it doesn't have to do with more ISO inflow I don't how many will think it is awesome.

Mad props for the Boris hoodie, though. Such a great band.
  • Cthulhu
    Options
    Thank you! Boris is awesome and I'm looking forward to their new album that is coming in the mail tomorrow with Merzbow!
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Either something to add ISO, something to guarantee 5*s after a certain number of 4* pulls, or some new type of game format, I hope.. ?
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Didn't expect to find other fans of Boris here! (I prefer uppercase BORIS myself: Pink, Akuma No Uta, Smile (the Japanese version pls), or gtfo.)
  • Cthulhu
    Options
    Didn't expect to find other fans of Boris here! (I prefer uppercase BORIS myself: Pink, Akuma No Uta, Smile (the Japanese version pls), or gtfo.)

What about Boris Amplifier Worship and feedbacker? I know a lot of people love flood, but I never got that one. Definitely prefer Japanese smile and agree the BORIS albums are greater.

Amplifier Worship is my favorite.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How about a Civil War tie-in event of one Marvel game against another? Like how much iso is won in MPQ vs Contest of Champions?
  • stochasticism
    Options
    Pink is definitely my favorite Boris record. I was so happy when I found a used copy of it a few years back at 1-2-3-4 Go Records in Oakland.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options

Does it remove the issue that 5* progression is completely random, allowing people to draw more than 60 tokens in a row without a single 5*?
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hi Cthulu,

Are you a part of the "fix the iso shortage" team by any chance? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • "Double Iso", while awesome, is not exactly the most fun thing I can think of...

A new long-term accomplishment system (Like daily supply but w/ in-game actions instead of days played) would be kinda fun, although pretty ambitious too. (And if it starts everyone at Match 0, people might be upset that they're 2,500 wins away from a Legendary token or something)

New events of some sort could be pretty fun too. A new boss fight would totally do so, or some other twist on familiar game modes.

Here's hoping it's actually fun. icon_razz.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,314 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hi Josh/Cthulu! Can we expect to see you a bit more around the forums now?
  • CaptainFreaky
    Options
    So Cthulhu - tell us about your MPQ roster - where are you at in terms of transition - I take it you don't have Nova well covered for instance (I take it you play with him on the debug server). What is your go-to team on your live account?
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    Wait a second.......Cthulhu is a PRODUCER, now????? That's an enormous step up from a typical "Red Name", is it not?

Aren't those "just" developers or community managers? Isn't a producer like a pretty big deal?
  • CaptainFreaky
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Wait a second.......Cthulhu is a PRODUCER, now????? That's an enormous step up from a typical "Red Name", is it not?

Aren't those "just" developers or community managers? Isn't a producer like a pretty big deal?

Cthulhu replaced IceIX as Producer when Joe left D3Go.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:

What about Boris Amplifier Worship and feedbacker? I know a lot of people love flood, but I never got that one. Definitely prefer Japanese smile and agree the BORIS albums are greater.

Amplifier Worship is my favorite.

I really hate doom metal, so I haven't explored early Boris albums in depth. Flood I do like because it's a lot more ambient and pretty, though Pink is my favorite.