do something with TA Hulk!

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
please make him worth the roster spot. pulled a 6th cover from an LT (5 of them blue icon_rolleyes.gif) today, and hopefully the last. it's such a kick in the nads to pull this guy. it makes me feel like deleting the game off my phone.

i'm trying to improve my roster and it's not like i'm pulling legendaries daily. adding a **** hulk cover helps in no way whatsoever.

DO SOMETHING WITH HIM!

yes i'm yelling at you...

Comments

• MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    You know what even worse? Having 6 covers for him an none of them are blue! (3/0/3)
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    I wonder if the characters that get "shoehorned in" are made so badly, on purpose.

I think it was in the old speculation thread, where someone had quoted an interview that hinted at them sometimes getting told last minute to make specific characters and they don't always have enough time to do all they can for so and so. Or, something like that.

That would explain why a lot of the tie-in characters are ( or were, in some cases ) booboo, right? Like, Vision, Quicksilver, TAHulk, etc.

It DOESN'T, however, explain why Scarlett Witch is so awesome, though. Or why non tie-in characters ( Venom, Bagtastic, FalCap) are also the pits.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I totally thought from the title that this was going to be a forum challenge thread, like "reach 600 in pvp while using TAHulk and any other 2 characters" or "beat the big enchilada using TAHulk and only 2* companions". icon_lol.gif
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    What would make him worth the spot?

I understand that Hot Dog Stand is bad, and I've already suggested a replacement for that over in the "Worst ability" thread here: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=40914&p=493877#p493734
    "See the Math of It" is a decent support ability which I think is adequately priced. Mastermind Excello is maybe a little underpowered (it's essentially reliant on you have cast STMOI and collected a bunch of charged Blue) but its targeted board clear is supremely useful.

He's the only character with active abilities in Green/Blue/Black (Doc Ock and Quicksilver have passives), and my suggested change to HDS would make him one of the few characters who can reliably tank for his team at will. It's a relatively rare ability, even amongst Tank characters, and would be an interesting point of difference between Cho and the other Hulks.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    I wonder if the characters that get "shoehorned in" are made so badly, on purpose.

I think it was in the old speculation thread, where someone had quoted an interview that hinted at them sometimes getting told last minute to make specific characters and they don't always have enough time to do all they can for so and so. Or, something like that.

That would explain why a lot of the tie-in characters are ( or were, in some cases ) booboo, right? Like, Vision, Quicksilver, TAHulk, etc.

It DOESN'T, however, explain why Scarlett Witch is so awesome, though. Or why non tie-in characters ( Venom, Bagtastic, FalCap) are also the pits.

I could buy that only so far as a character having a move that was broken or unbalanced. Something that triggered a winfinite they didn't anticipate.
    To be objectively *bad* doesn't feel like it could be deliberate. Why annoy your paymasters by making a character for something you're meant to be promoting deliberately ****?

Worst thing they'd done on that front for me personally was make Thoress not at all like her comic character in terms of abilities.

I imagine TA Hulk will get a rework eventually, but...for him to be so obviously meh right at the start is puzzling.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    My TAH is at 4,3,5 at level 70. My problem is when he is up for DPDQ I will probably put ISO into him so I can compte and get my LT. icon_rolleyes.gif

Somebody stop me I need help icon_e_confused.gif
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    I've presumed, whether it's true or not, that's he'll eventually receive a fix from the developers. In the meantime, he just sits in my roster doing nothing.
  • Id settle for him being removed from the splash screen for now.
  • JeffCascadian
    Id settle for him being removed from the splash screen for now.

I keep expecting that to happen with every update. I know it'll happen eventually but...yeah. Please do it soon, D3!
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree...shoot him into the Sun.
  • apexpredator85
    apexpredator85 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    I would prefer if he just suddenly disappeared from the game altogether. Don't even fix him. Delete him from all servers and all rosters as an long going April Fool's joke. Then insert a Hulk people actually want to see. Maestro. World War Hulk. Fingers crossed for him being deleted altogether.

PS : I would be okay with no being reimbursed for his pulls just for him to go away completely
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    They should add an "unlevel" button to his character screen. Where you would pay a one time fee of 7,500 Iso. Once you pay this fee TA Hulk is erased from your roster and the odds of pulling him from future LTs goes down to 0.0000000001%. I would pay this in a heartbeat.
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Got a 1000HP a few days ago and had two covers (after selling 3 in the past...) so i decided to get him anyway. But yes, he sucks. Maybe he's on the list for a future rework.
  • GMadMan040
    GMadMan040 Posts: 207
    One has to assume that there is some play testing involved.

With that premise in mind, who were the devs teaming him up with where they thought "Yeah this looks workable"?

Even suckypants Reed has a team combo where he actually does fairly well (heals often, gets a fair amount of bonus damage in), otherwise we all know he's lame too.

So seriously, what was the thought process here? Anyone find a team combo to utilize him in a way that slightly resembles success?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    RGN has blessed me with a 5/5/0 Cho, and I just shrugged - I can beat DDQ with that I suppose, who wants black?

Which means black will soon be his best color icon_e_wink.gif
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Hot dog shower may be the best animation at-the-moment.

Err, maybe sexy butt....I'm so conflicted.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Redrobot30 wrote:
    They should add an "unlevel" button to his character screen. Where you would pay a one time fee of 7,500 Iso. Once you pay this fee TA Hulk is erased from your roster and the odds of pulling him from future LTs goes down to 0.0000000001%. I would pay this in a heartbeat.

I've somehow ended up with a 5/4/3 one, which I long ago leveled to 111 so he would tank something in his PvE (green for Iceman, maybe?), and I'd still probably pay that.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor

What the heck did the sun ever do to you? Can you be sure his level of suck wouldn't kill the sun?

I say shoot him into deep space and hope he encounters the aliens coming to subjugate the human race.
  • JeffCascadian
    madok wrote:

What the heck did the sun ever do to you? Can you be sure his level of suck wouldn't kill the sun?

I say shoot him into deep space and hope he encounters the aliens coming to subjugate the human race.

Shooting Hulks into space to rid ourselves of the problem has a precedent for being a Very Bad Idea.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm keeping him just because I know he'll eventually come up in Crash of the Titans. I missed six or seven LTs on the first cycle and I'm hoping to get every one this time now that my 4*'s are mostly covered.

While, per usual, I don't think he's quite as bad as he's made out to be, I have pooped on him just like everyone else because he does feel extremely underwhelming. Green is more useful for the board clear than the damage, and I'm generally not a fan of any ability that relies on a countdown tile (or at least, won't be until I get a covered Green Goblin).

I don't think Hot Dog Stand is inherently awful so much as the mechanics behind it just feel unnecessarily clumsy. Why does X23 get to heal passively just by matching her own colors, while Cho, whose powers are demonstrably less awesome, has to A) gather black AP, B) eat up most of the blue on the board, and C) eat a stun on top of all that? Obviously there are thematic issues, but the whole "you get to heal if you do a handstand in traffic on a Wednesday when Mercury is in retrograde" feel that makes it feel ****.