If you play an entire season and don't draw a single 5*...

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Is it worth it to keep playing? I'm making this debate regularly. I've hit 1300+ points every pvp, beaten every 4* ddq, won every 1 cp node in pve, so probably opened at least 50 if not more LTs in the last season.

Zero 5*s. I championed a few characters with ISO. I'm really thinking I should probably quit. I know you don't care about whether I play or not, but I'm curious what you would do if it happened to you; and I'm sure it has happened to many of you. Maybe even a few seasons without any 5* draws? If that's the case, then what makes you want to keep playing?

Comments

• hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    I would quit if I were in your shoes.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Is it worth it to keep playing? I'm making this debate regularly. I've hit 1300+ points every pvp, beaten every 4* ddq, won every 1 cp node in pve, so probably opened at least 50 if not more LTs in the last season.

Zero 5*s. I championed a few characters with ISO. I'm really thinking I should probably quit. I know you don't care about whether I play or not, but I'm curious what you would do if it happened to you; and I'm sure it has happened to many of you. Maybe even a few seasons without any 5* draws? If that's the case, then what makes you want to keep playing?

Unless you're in a buyer alliance, you aren't earning 50 LTs in a season. I've got 1300 every versus event, max progression every story event, every command point node, each DDQ: Crash, season, progression, alliance t100, 15 comp resupply, a few scattered alliance purchases, I've opened 30 LTs this season
  • superho
    superho Posts: 17
    mpqr7 wrote:

I am still heavily debating just buying 5* covers with CP (will take probably a few seasons to amass 720CP) - but then I'm assuming the worst-case scenario that I dont draw any 5*.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unfortunately, that's pretty much a personal decision.

Personally, I don't give a hoot about how quick I get them, it's not like I have the Iso anyway. I can get score well in PvP, my roster is progressing the way I want, and I can still mindlessly click with the best of them. FWIW, my pull rate is ok (right around 10%), but I tend to hoard and open so the 'when' of them doesn't really mean much. Maybe that helps, maybe psychologically its more frustrating to open as you go and miss, I dunno.

There are days I question why I'm still playing, but they have zero to do with the existence of 5* characters. It's about 95% the lack of new content and 5% the Iso drought. Killing the same dark avengers or using the same LR featured characters for 2 years gets kinda dull. Still beats Candy Crush though.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Are you having fun? Then keep playing. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Unless you are doing a BC you are greatly overstating your LTs. Assuming you are not champing anyone, your haul is:

9 - PVP
    4 - DDQ 4
    1 - Prog for season 10k
    1 - For alliance season end
    4 - PvE

Total: 19

Lets say you also champed a few, so perhaps 21 or 22.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    If that is the way you view the game, then you should quit. If you can't find enjoyment in this game outside of "progression" this isn't the game you should be playing.

Me personally, I'm not ready for my 4* transition, so I save up my tokens and cp and that is perfectly fine. I'm not in a hurry to "finish" the game or anything. I would be fine not drawing any 5*s until they become the free handout tier. I play because I enjoy match-3 games and the original puzzle quest.

I just enjoy the ride. icon_cool.gif
  • Bossblack
    Bossblack Posts: 80 Match Maker
    As long as you are not stuck with only a few 5* covers and you happened to level them up and now facing a wall of max 5*s, I would say keep playing..
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    rkd80 wrote:
    Unless you are doing a BC you are greatly overstating your LTs. Assuming you are not champing anyone, your haul is:

9 - PVP
    4 - DDQ 4
    1 - Prog for season 10k
    1 - For alliance season end
    4 - PvE

Total: 19

Lets say you also champed a few, so perhaps 21 or 22.
    rkd, we're buds, but this is shoddy math...

There's 10 PvPs per season, that's 250 CP.
    Top 10 PvP each time = 20 CP (generous?)
    Over 3+ weeks let's say 5 PvE progressions, that's 125 CP
    24 days of PVE CP = 48 CP
    Top 10 PvE every sub-event = 24 CP (also perhaps generous, but could miss some and make it up with t2?)
    15 CP daily supply reward (could be 25 if he's 2+years in)
    5 LT from 5 crash of titans (over 24 days)
    1 LT season prog
    1 LT season alliance placement

So, if my math is correct that's 482 CP plus 7 LTs from other awards. That'd give 31 LT pulls in a season, pulling down near maximum amount of awards. Champion covers give various CP and and LT potentially, but I doubt you can make up a full 19 there. Maybe his alliance is generous and they don't do buyer's clubs and he gets a bunch of additional CP there too?

Anyway, more to the point of the OP - yeah I'd be super frustrated in opening all those LT and not getting a single 5*, but I still have fun earning all those CPs/LTs, hanging out and chatting with the fine folk in my alliance and others I spend quality time with on LINE like this here RKD. So, I'm still enjoying the journey, even though it might feel like I haven't actually gotten anywhere in a while. You're still earning a bunch of iso that you can use to champion some good 4* or hoard for when you finally do pull those 5* covers and you can level your guys that much faster.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    About 1/4 of the way through the season I started hoarding CP because I realized I have a lot of 4* max covered and only a few max levels so I need ISO more than I need 4*. I treat LT as a way to earn 4* and if I get a 5* it is a bonus. For the OP you are doing really well hitting 1300 in each PVP and depending on your roster level some more 4*. If all you care about is 5* remember this is RNG and you will have bad seasons and good with pulls. Depending on the buffed 4* you can definatly compete with 400+ level 5* so don't worry about it too much
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    I find people massively overinflate how many LT's they think they have opened as well as how long their cold streaks are. Unless you are actually tracking each LT pull your own impressions are fairly unreliable.

I get 1.3K every PVP and am a religious PVE grinder and have been since the before the release of 5*. While I am not in a big buyers alliance and have missed 1.3K in some of the off season pvp's, since the beginning of LT's I have opened 222 (tracked them all). So from September to end of February we will call it 6 months averaging 37/month but we have to factor in that there is a huge boost from the initial championing boom factored in there, and there has been an increase in CP vs the early months of tracking.

I'd say 30/month is a realistic number for someone who hard core grinds everything. I have had a number of streaks between 26-35 pulls with no 5* so it is pretty normal to go a season without a 5* pull, over time the odds will even out.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    My longest 5 draught was 51 LTs, and I almost quit. I continued because I wanted to know how high the number was going to go (yeah, I know, completely auto-destructive behaviour, every time I pulled a not-5 after the 25 token I got really really mad), then I pulled one, and the next one came after 6 or 7 tokens so I got addicted again.

So probably the best you can do is just stop playing and move to another game. If I found out another mobile game I liked I would change in a heartbeat, but after two years maybe I am just fooling myself...

And I still think devs need to acknowledge this is a very big problem of this game (letting luck decide your 5s, and not just if you pull a 5, now we have that there are just two good 5s, so if you don't pull the good ones even when you pull a 5 you are still screwed).

PS: Not the point, but yeah, a season is probably closer to 30 LTs than 50, if not part of a buyers alliance.
    PS: I also keep track of ALL my LTs.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Random progression is awesome!" said no player, ever.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe it was only around 30 LTs this last season. But I haven't received a 4* since January, so it's actually been two seasons, which means most likely 60+ LTs. Huzzah!
  • Last night I opened 28 tokens (I had 5 Latest Legend tokens, and the rest was from CP). My results were.... 0 for 25. Adding this to when I started tracking last month, and my current streak is now 0 for 34. Meanwhile an alliance mate this morning pulled eight (8!!) 5* covers out of 32 tokens opened. It's a dumb and broken system. It certainly makes me much less enthusiastic about playing.

IGN: Foster
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't pulled a 5* in 4 seasons.
    And coincidentally, you've been hoarding tokens for 4 seasons icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    When you play all season and pull a nick fury you gotta ask yourself,is it worth it?
  • Punatulkku
    Punatulkku Posts: 228
    past 8 months i have pulled 4 4* guys from tokens, and im not counting lt's...

quite sad really.
  • Eichen
    Eichen Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    If you play an entire season and don't draw a single 5*...

Congrats, your scaling isn't broken!
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    I've pulled more 4* from heroics than from LT.

FACT! icon_lol.gif