What should have been the priority for 3* Spiderman?

Options
20three
20three Posts: 371
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Which of these was more pressing?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You do understand that these two things are generally two separate departments at most studios, right?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can I vote for TA Hulk getting new art? Of all the characters in the game who look eternally constipated or like total morons, that smug look on his face every time I fail to avoid opening one of his covers makes me want to throw the game out the window.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Options
    First, art and balance are usually two separate departments. Second, patience. They've been fixing the worst of the worst in the game for now. They might get to him down the road.
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm one of those weirdos who likes star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_spiderman.png . My main use for him is the purple passive as I often have him team with star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_magneto.png who has better uses for bluetile.png and yellowtile.png . That being said, Spidey's stun is pretty good and his yellow can be a game saver, especially if there are enough web.png out there. He's a support player, not a primary attacker, and I'm A-OK with that.

But I am weird.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3 star spidey has niches where he is perfect. PvE against Ninjas or Ultron Goons for example. That's better than I can say for most 3 stars.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Options
    Someone tell me why 1* Spidey is way better than 3* Spidey. I wouldn't be against them changing places.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3* spidey loves to play spoiler, the AI uses his heal and his stun effectively, and if you are not careful, he can be your downfall.. not sure why all the hate.
  • GMadMan040
    GMadMan040 Posts: 207
    Options
    3* Spidey is quite awesome
    I second this all day, every day.

My take, if this game were more appropriately designed in terms of character balance, there would be many more characters like the 3* Web-Head. I'm confident that we will all grant the argument that at least one of his skills out to dole out a little damage, but there are A LOT of situations where he is amazingly useful.

Is he outclassed by other characters? Yes. Does that mean he is automatically worthless? Not even by a longshot.
    Malcrof wrote:
    3* spidey loves to play spoiler, the AI uses his heal and his stun effectively, and if you are not careful, he can be your downfall.. not sure why all the hate.
    I agree with this too - 3* Spider-Man is top-tier among ALL characters when it comes to how he is handled by the AI. That does not mean he is the most dangerous, by any means, but the AI absolutely gets the most out of everything he can do.

Wish I could take back all those times where I've saved him for last, only for him to magically draw out the match 7-10 minutes with stun locking, protect tile, crazy-all-the-sudden-Spiderman-has-healing-powers nonsense.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

I always chalked this up to the "any character without an ability that does ludicrous damage is automatically trash" paradigm that seems to exist 'round hurr. Hell, people are just now realizing that Quicksilver is actually pretty decent.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The only thing wrong with 3 Star Spiderman is his yellow. It's hot garbage, as are all pure True Heal abilities. If they were actual healing maybe not so bad.
    Just replace it completely with something that deals damage (even if it has to change color since they don't like damage skills on yellow), leave the other two as they are, and he'll be at least slightly above mid tier instantly.

Side note: Now that the 20 ISO "fix" locks out prologue, I wonder if we could go back to pre-True Heal healing.
    Once you fully complete the Prologue, there are no trivial nodes you can play an infinite number of times. Therefore, you won't be able to Prologue Heal.
    Interestingly enough, this was a suggested "fix" to Prologue Healing back in the day before the heavy-handed "True Healing". But of course the dev over-thought things and made it more complicated & confusing than it needed to be.
    But whatever, just something I thought about the other day.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

I always chalked this up to the "any character without an ability that does ludicrous damage is automatically trash" paradigm that seems to exist 'round hurr. Hell, people are just now realizing that Quicksilver is actually pretty decent.

In the case of Spidey, you have the ingame character being so different to what you would expect from Spiderman, you have an extremely expensive burst heal, no damage and the slightly random protect tiles.

If I was designing a 3* spidey, I would do something like this:

Blue - keep it as it is, useful and fits the character.
    Purple - give web tiles a protect value and have it create those instead of normal ones or go for a more inventive way to implement his spidey sense by having him avoid an attack's damage entirely and place a cd tile on the board, spidey sense could only proc again once that was removed.
    Yellow - turn it into a single target or aoe attack with the burst heal as an addon, both dmg and heal would be increased by the presence of web tiles.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Crowl wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

In the case of Spidey, you have the ingame character being so different to what you would expect from Spiderman, you have an extremely expensive burst heal, no damage and the slightly random protect tiles.

If I was designing a 3* spidey, I would do something like this:

Blue - keep it as it is, useful and fits the character.
    Purple - give web tiles a protect value and have it create those instead of normal ones or go for a more inventive way to implement his spidey sense by having him avoid an attack's damage entirely and place a cd tile on the board, spidey sense could only proc again once that was removed.
    Yellow - turn it into a single target or aoe attack with the burst heal as an addon, both dmg and heal would be increased by the presence of web tiles.

I'll agree that thematically, his yellow and purple abilities don't make a ton of sense (blue is fine). In terms of his usefulness and playability though, he's not half bad. I will actually sometimes skip him because he always seems to land a stun right when I'm about to fire off a key ability with that character and it gives me nerd rage.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm one of those weirdos who likes star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_spiderman.png .

But I am weird.

No arguments here.
  • I wager he gets skipped over on buffs because for all the talk about him being hot garbage, people still play him a lot.

I still see him occasionally in PVP and junk while I'm making my assent. Which is more often then I could say for like, 3* Bullseye and junk.

His use-metrics are probably pretty high, and the fact that he's gosh darn Spiderman probably has to do with that.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    His use-metrics are probably pretty high, and the fact that he's gosh darn Spiderman probably has to do with that.

Agree 100%.
    If this ability set was on a different character (not named Gambit or any other cult favorite), this character would get much less usage.
    Hell, even 2 Star Bullseye's Purple is almost better because it procs on opponent purple matches. When he is scaled to insanity, even one of them on the board is a pain.

Call me crazy, but if 2 Star Bullseye's Black power wasn't overcosted and mostly mediocre, he'd actually be pretty decent.
    And, if the 3 Star Bullseye had some form of the 2 Star's passive instead of Contract Killer (shift the powers around to make them match up color wise if need be), he'd be very usable.
    I have more fun than I should when he is boosted though, especially with his Purple popping special tiles for BIG damage.

But yeah, 3 Star Spiderman must be hard for the devs to place on the balance priority because of who he is.
    People will play him just cause he's Spiderman.
  • ClydeFrog76
    Options
    The lack of hyphens in this thread is unsettling. Stan Lee would not be amused.
  • 3* Spidey gets used not because he's a version of Spidey. He gets played for his ability set.

Q:

Do you think the same applies to 2* Cap?

Since, like he's supposedly the most rostered character in the game (or at least top 5), according to some Red's stats, but whenever I see 2* rankings, he's put near the bottom of them.

(I love 2* Cap personally. Dat board control and stunlock.)
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If 3* Spiderman got a buff, you know they would keep his basic role and powerset, right? He might put down better protect tiles, or heal for less AP, maybe even make more web tiles. Just look at the recent buffs to see that I am right. And if he got such a buff, the complaints on the forum would be the same as ever.

I don't think he will ever be the character the OP wants him to be, which is as it should be. Some people like his role. He's good with Patch and Carnage: characters that need lots of support to mitigate their double-edged offensive power. Try him with KK and Ragnarok for constant healing and stunning. There would be as many disappointed players if his role changed as there would be happy players.

That said, I'd love to see Spiderman's yellow cost less and/or add web tiles. Here's hoping that he'll see a QS/IM40-like buff in the future.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My vote for a change that would keep Spidey's 100% support role, but make him an entirely new kind of threat:

yellowflag.png Never Give Up!
    Spidey rallies his team with the inspiring words of his Uncle Ben, giving a burst of health to each teammate still in the fight. If any of his teammates are downed, Spidey revives them at X% health (a la Phoenix).

That would solve the problem of saving Spider-man for last.
  • ClydeFrog76
    Options
    The lack of hyphens in this thread is unsettling. Stan Lee would not be amused.

Who, this guy?

11.jpg

I think he'd be alright icon_lol.gif

Wanna bet?

http://www.blastr.com/2013-7-16/little- ... spider-man

icon_razz.gif