aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
edited May 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Forum Thread

Comments

• stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Is there no middle ground? Do you have to sell your whole roster? Can't you just sell your level 144 Moonstone?
  • ProfessorGumby
    ProfessorGumby Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm in a similar (but different) situation. I'm a collector... so I have every character rostered (except no Green Goblin yet).

All 1* are maxed.

All 2* are championed; 8 of those are maxed; 2 more need 1 or 2 covers to be maxed; 3 more need 7-12 covers; Bag-Man (yes even him) is half-way to being maxed.

All 3* are championed; 18 of those have between 10 and 14 champion levels; the other 22 have between 4 and 9 so far.

Hulkbuster is my only championed 4*, and is now at 276. 12 more are max level for the covers I have; 6 others are max covered and need ISO; the other 10 are waiting for ISO to get them to max level for the covers I have (and then the additional covers/ISO).

I currently need just shy of 2.8M ISO to max the covers I have.

My plan is to hoard ISO until I can push the purple max level button for the cheapest of the current needs (currently Carnage at 96k). Rinse and repeat.

If I get another 4* cover that would be cheaper to max (e.g. Gwen), focus there first. If I get any 5* cover, focus there first.

My hope is, that somewhere along in this process, the ISO shortage gets addressed, and my ability to get more 4* maxed and championed accelerated from there.

Cheers!
    - PG
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I maxed cyclops in 9 days from level 150. So if that rate of ISO is constant, it'll take me another 2-3 months to get most of my 4* maxed. Then I'll come back and do the remaining bottom half of the 2-3*s.

I suggest getting more Facebook friends if you can. That was really jump start my ISO rate.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My strategy was NOT level/champion any 3* that wasn't already maxed. Since championing launched I've, championed the 4 2* I had rostered, championed my 19 max 3*s, maxed and championed 6 4*s, and as of this week got my 1/4/4 Phoenix to 345. Investing in 3*s has long been a wasted resources, imo.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Of course there is (conceptually) middle ground ... if I sold the whole roster there would be nothing to level, kinda defeating the point icon_razz.gif

Only mentioned the total potential iso haul to illustrate how far short the most extreme case would fall.

Sure. And I only mention 144 Moonstone because it reveals you for the completely unusual player you are. (And because it's very easy for me to open the alliance window and look at your roster.) People who don't notice your sig, and haven't seen you mention how many CP you have, don't realize what a massive pile of resources you're sitting on.

You're playing a very long game. You're basically holding out to ascend to godhood in one fell swoop. You're like the mayor of Sunnydale, impossibly affable and outgoing, and yet with a secret long-term plan for domination, and probably hidden up somewhere eating giant spiders out of a box.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pongie wrote:
    I suggest getting more Facebook friends if you can. That was really jump start my ISO rate.

Welllll ... my main account is on Steam, sooooo ... thanks for the thought.

My noob account is on Android, and it is connected to FB. With 700+ friends, it gets .... it gets....! .... a couple hundred iso a day. Maybe. Joke's on me?

The key to Facebook friends is to get active daily players. Someone actually maxed out their friends (4000 or 5000) and claims to be getting 30k a day just from gifts. I think I get about 4-6k a day (ISO and selling all the covers) and I have about 1400 friends (though I suspect some are actually marvel final fight players judging by their profile pic). Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you are sending Facebook gifts, it's only to 10 players. So from the 700+ friends you have, you are hoping that they all are play daily, and that you'll be in one of the ten to receive whatever they are sending.
    stowaway wrote:
    People who don't notice your sig, and haven't seen you mention how many CP you have, don't realize what a massive pile of resources you're sitting on.

Now I'm curious, how big is this pile? 4 digits? 5?
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pongie wrote:

Welllll ... my main account is on Steam, sooooo ... thanks for the thought.

My noob account is on Android, and it is connected to FB. With 700+ friends, it gets .... it gets....! .... a couple hundred iso a day. Maybe. Joke's on me?

I made a "just for MPQ" FB account and have over 400 friends on it and I get the same rate of rewards from that account as I was getting from my actual FB account that had 20 friends who played. I checked all my FB setting to make sure I was actually hooked up to the new account and every now and then I'll see a name pop up that is part of the 400 and not the 20 but it is not the gushing waterfall of rewards and thought it would be.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

aesthetocyst you hit on an earlier point I made during the 3* nerf with championing. They are basing this games rewards, ISO, etc on 3*'s yet have left them in the dust. This game needs to begin switching to 4* and now, that means bigger ISO gains, more 4* covers etc.

If they are too worried about accelerating early players, than all they have to do is have the amount of your prize based on your roster. If less than 6 3*'s maxed, you are in category 1. If you have less than 20 3*'s than category 2, anything more than that and you are in category 3.

Either way there are ways they can slow ISO and HP for lower tiered players, but you have shown that the middle ground as I had come to the same conclusion is gone. It's either 2500 PvP score or barely getting 1K or 1.3K.

This all stems from how they released 5*'s which as someone showed lucky draw players would create such an advantage early that you would never be able to catch up even if you got lucky with 5*'s and that's what we have. Players that were already up are so far ahead you will not catch them no matter how much $ you throw
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I need a little over 7 million iso to max out just the covers i have now, nothing drastic planned, just choosing my battles.. i pick a char, and level that 1 char as i go, sure i may end up tossing loads of 4* covers, but they will come around again...

Not selling anyone, or anything, i will just grind it out, i know i will never get them all leveled, as new chars keep coming out, but , one by one, i can complete enough of them to make a difference!
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You guys are depressing icon_e_biggrin.gif Stop looking at the entire picture it will overwhelm you. I have been playing since Day 1 on steam, I have only spent money for slots. I am currently down to four 3 stars left to reach max level, my 4 stars are a mess but until the champion system was implemented it was relatively difficult to get 4 stars without paying and I dont see the point in maxing a character until completely covered. You know how to survive and not go crazy, just focus on one character at a time, max and move on. Even though iso is a problem, if you did not have to grind what would be the point, but since they have up to 7 rewards per node in pve you can get close to 20000 iso a day now, I remember when I was happy with 10. It has gotten a lot better keep you chin up and don't get frustrated icon_cool.gif Now if we could make lightning round occur constantly that would be another 3-5 k fairly easily.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    I sold off a bunch of my "****" 3*s and 2*s to try and get the ISO I needed to champion. Here's what I found:

It makes it that much harder to get the iso you need in the future and the ISO you get from what you sell isn't worth nearly what you put into it.

Not having 100% of the 3*s means recovering them eventually or missing out on RC nodes in PvE and having to use nothing but loaners in PvP. That makes getting progression rewards more difficult and it makes getting placement rewards almost impossible.

Further, you are going to miss out on the last two node of a lot of DDQ until you get at least one cover back from each of your sold characters. That's a 3* cover + 2,500 ISO + a Taco you are missing until you find at least one cover of those 3*s.

Maxing 4*s is still a worthwhile goal, it is just painfully slow. You'll be selling a lot of 4* covers in the meantime. Over the last two weeks I took my 161 Rhulk up to 241. At this point where each level is 3,500+ ISO, I'm getting 2-3 levels a day from normal play.

The upshot is, boosted 1-15 cover 4*s aren't THAT much stronger than max boosted 4*s. My Hulkbuster has 15 championed covers, it isn't scaring away anyone who wouldn't already have been scared away by a max boosted non champion.

Now that the LT isn't going to get you a OML, you are better off concentrating on just developing top 4*s like Rhulk, JG, HB, DP, and Cyc. Choose one and push that one to max, then choose the next.

Trust me, you'll be kicking yourself for as long as they keep making having all of the 3*s the center of MPQ gameplay.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Your needs continue to grow, but your resources remain constrained.

You know, it reminds me all too much of real life.

Yuck icon_lol.gif

But in real life, we potentially have a choice to work harder or smarter to get more resources. Here, we can get penalized for playing more. The best we can do is work smarter to get the same limited resources like baking. This is still one of the most odd games I've seen from that aspect. DON'T PLAY MY GAME OR I WILL PUNISH YOU!
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My name is one last gambit... and I...am an isoholic.

In the last 25 days I have stayed up until 2am going up and down in shield sim to earn iso. Hitting every LR for iso. Repeatedly hitting all nodes in pve and ruining my chance of placement for iso. I have sold any and all non 4/5* covers apart from the ones which were magic number 14 for iso.

I felt compelled...no... obsessed to champ the characters I had 14 covers for. It was on my mind day and night and even though I felt these iso rubs were a huge drain on my enjoyment and energy I did it anyway. CMags, BP, hood, ldaken, gsbw all champed. I didnt enjoy the process, I thought I would but I didnt. Then the game handed me another 3torch cover, the third time in a week that I had been handed a 14th cover for him.

I made the decision after ldaken to only champ characters when I felt like it rather than when the game wants me to. I dont regret selling those torch covers (or the one I just got now - I swear the game knows whose closest to champ) and ill keep doing it until I want to champ. I suggest you do the same
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I made the decision after ldaken to only champ characters when I felt like it rather than when the game wants me to. I dont regret selling those torch covers (or the one I just got now - I swear the game knows whose closest to champ) and ill keep doing it until I want to champ. I suggest you do the same

This is where I'm at right now. I have 4 Colossus, 3 Bullseye, 2 R&G, a Dock Ock, Mystique and Quicksilver covers in my queue right now and I have no intention of champing them right now as I have 6 4*s at 12 covers each and I want to get them as maxed as possible to get ready for that 13th cover (unfortunately, it looks like my first fully covered 4* will be Star Lord if I beat the 1K progression on the current Bullseye PVP). He's only at 150 right now though and I'm not sure if he is worth champing or just selling his 14th cover if I get one along the way).
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. All 2*s except bagman are boring 144 now, all 3*s still quietly ticking along and occasionally spitting out a 4* cover to depress me.

Because. Most of my 4*s are fully covered - only short Cho, Gwen and Nova, could use a green Rhulk for respec, but beyond that all I can see when I look at my roster is that I need 6+ million iso for my 4*s and another million for my 5*s. I get 70 iso most often from pvp/pve. It's a grind just to max a single 4* - 250k each for the few at level 200, 330k for all the rest sitting at 155.

And there's another 4* on the way. It's oppressive. The game isn't fun anymore.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. All 2*s except bagman are boring 144 now, all 3*s still quietly ticking along and occasionally spitting out a 4* cover to depress me.

Because. Most of my 4*s are fully covered - only short Cho, Gwen and Nova, could use a green Rhulk for respec, but beyond that all I can see when I look at my roster is that I need 6+ million iso for my 4*s and another million for my 5*s. I get 70 iso most often from pvp/pve. It's a grind just to max a single 4* - 250k each for the few at level 200, 330k for all the rest sitting at 155.

And there's another 4* on the way. It's oppressive. The game isn't fun anymore.

So long as you don't force yourself to level all of them, it isn't so bad. I'm actually glad my Nova, Gwen, and GR don't have many covers or I would feel the need to try and make them useful instead of concentrating my efforts on Cyc on Rhulk (who are 245+).
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:

So long as you don't force yourself to level all of them, it isn't so bad. I'm actually glad my Nova, Gwen, and GR don't have many covers or I would feel the need to try and make them useful instead of concentrating my efforts on Cyc on Rhulk (who are 245+).

Amen. Settle on a direction and stick to it. Don't let the game's temptation, and any of the machinations of RNGesus tempt you astray.

I'm leveling 4s to 260ish, in order of highest level to lowest level, and champing any that I have covers for. Since prior to champing I leveled evenly among the characters I used most frequently, that happily means that I am (for now) dumping all iso on characters i am happy to be leveling.

Why do I say 260ish? without covers on hand why bother with that last, most expensive mile. Get em to 260, from there I can champ in 2-3 days should covers fall.

This morning an Antman cover popped out of the event vault. Sorry, Antman; it just isn't your time .... icon_lol.gif
    The only issue with your philosophy is you cave to go 1 level at a time and watch the seizure inducing flashes every time your 4* goes up a level. I am just looking to build up the 300k+ to take RHulk from 165-270 so I don't have to deal with 1 level at a time.

The only issue I am having is do I take a pause and add some levels to Falcap so I can win his DPDQ. He is at level 100 but is covered 3,5,5.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Amen. Settle on a direction and stick to it. Don't let the game's temptation, and any of the machinations of RNGesus tempt you astray.

I'm leveling 4s to 260ish, in order of highest level to lowest level, and champing any that I have covers for. Since prior to champing I leveled evenly among the characters I used most frequently, that happily means that I am (for now) dumping all iso on characters i am happy to be leveling.

Why do I say 260ish? without covers on hand why bother with that last, most expensive mile. Get em to 260, from there I can champ in 2-3 days should covers fall.

This morning an Antman cover popped out of the event vault. Sorry, Antman; it just isn't your time .... icon_lol.gif

I'm slowly, slowly grinding out iso and levelling Bobby to champion him,with Jean and Rhulk next in queue. It's slow. And grindy. The 20 iso change has helped a lot.

Meantime I'm still bumping up any new 4*s up to 155 so I can at least fool around with them in sim and pve, and toss them at pvp when they are buffed. Keeps things interesting. 5*s won't be getting any iso until I am bored of having a bunch of different characters to play with. icon_e_smile.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    The only issue I am having is do I take a pause and add some levels to Falcap so I can win his DPDQ. He is at level 100 but is covered 3,5,5.
    No idea if it's enough but I paused 4thor to take falcap to my ddq level of 145. Mine is fully covered, but not many 150 and less made it last time. But also, that was before the 3* nerf I think.
  • Gregore
    Gregore Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Why do they need to slow down the iso for newer players? They are already limited by the amount of covers they have.