Women of Power alternate covers

2»

Comments

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 693 Critical Contributor
    The only one I don't like is She-Hulk. The blood's not appropriate for her character.

I'm glad they changed a 1* because I see those all the time. Please rotate them often.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tryke wrote:
    I always liked this artwork for Psylocke. It's not just her, but she is front and center.
    uncanny-x-force.jpg

They may yet use that for a 4* Psylocke. I see them at some point trying to complete that X-force team.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    So over on Marvel.com there was a story about the Women of Power month/event as it's running across pretty much the whole suite of Marvel products - well, games and comics at least. Anyway, I noticed that Mockingbird is getting a special cover for the month, but, of course, we don't have Mockingbird in MPQ yet. A more different little birdie told me that we might be getting someone close to Mockingbird arriving soon (sooner or later in any case). Still, I think it would be cool to get Mockingbird show up in MPQ. I guess the main problem is she's not really 4* or 5* material - just in terms of fairly limited/bland power set - and the 3* tier still has the No Vacancy sign lit up.

As for the covers which did make it into the game, I'm definitely sold on Thor, Scarlet Witch, and X-23. If we only get to keep a few, those are the ones which get my vote.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the biggest improvement is MBW. I will cry if it doesn't become permanent.

Least favorite alternates are the Squirrel Girl (either of the first two are so adorable and a perfect fit for the character) and 4hor (the current alt is good, but I adore her original one).
  • prancerosner
    prancerosner Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    getterwing wrote:
    JamesV wrote:
    Man a lot of these alt covers are great.

I love the old 3 stars Drake (claws with blood). It is much much more better than the current old.

It would be great if we could switch to the cover we like.

I love that Daken cover as well.

And having the option to choose a cover, maybe somehow rotating a separate mini-collection of a few alternates, would be awesome.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Another vote from me on that Modern Black Widow cover, that's been a pleasant surprise seeing her pop up again and again after working the lightening round seed teams this week. (Still sold her immediately though). Wish I could use it for the Original Black Widow cover that's she's barely on.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess I'm the only one that's not crazy about the MBW cover - it looks more like fan art to me. It's not bad, it just doesn't look like an "official" cover.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    I guess I'm the only one that's not crazy about the MBW cover - it looks more like fan art to me. It's not bad, it just doesn't look like an "official" cover.

Yeah, I agree. I also absolutely love the "regular" cover - the composition is very good.
  • Soma
    Soma Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2016
    Thor: I preferred the original. The downward gaze really felt like it captured the feeling of fighting the long defeat so common in the original Norse myths. The variant's softer colors seems a bit too cartoonish to me.
    Devil Dino: No preference there, but the original always reminded me of a kangaroo more than a raging dinosaur. icon_lol.gif
    Kamala Khan: Again, no preference.
    Scarlet Witch: I just love this new one. The sharpness of the image and the colors...it all just works for me.
    She Hulk: The best part of this cover is that it is entitled "The Totally Awesome Hulk (2015) #4". So I imagine that She-Hulk has done us all a favor and beat the tinykitty out of Chulk! In that case, the variant wins. icon_lol.gif
    Captain Marvel: I like the top 2 renderings of her, but the bottom one...well, it looks like she just slipped on something. Still, I like the background and wouldn't mind this one.
    Squirrel Girl: I like the whimsy of all the SQ covers and would vote for any of them, except for the original one when she first came out. The biggest issue with SQ is her in-game art. That needs an update pronto, because, man, does she creep me out.
    X-23: Good that there's a lot more going on in this one vs. the original. The original seemed bland.
    Spider Gwen: Dig this new one for simply personal reasons...reminds me of all the punk-rock girls that I had crushes on in high school. Cue the Dead Milkmen and then we can all reminisce.
    1* Black Widow: Much more of a fan of the original. There's something about the way the eyes are drawn on the variant that makes me think BW is either tired or stoned.

After looking through this thread, there seems to be some really awesome choices for Psylocke, so I'm bummed that she didn't get an update...

EDIT: just saw that CapMarvel cover on CNash's thread... That one is awesome!
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    CNash wrote:
    "Linda Belcher"

bobs-burgers-guardians-104404.jpg
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    CNash wrote:
    I put together a small album with a few of my personal choices for alt-covers:
    http://imgur.com/a/OXONE

YES TO ALL, PLX.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Soma wrote:
    Spider Gwen: Dig this new one for simply personal reasons...reminds me of all the punk-rock girls that I had crushes on in high school. Cue the Dead Milkmen and then we can all reminisce.

And someone played a Beach Boys song on the jukebox / It was "California Dreaming," so we both started screaming / "On such a winter's day!"
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like the She-Hulk one a whole lot more if it wasn't the cover for a Totally Awesome Hulk.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Most of them were pretty 'meh' to me.

Love the Thor one, though. And the Scarlet Witch one is... mixed, I guess. I love the style; it's an arresting picture, but she looks really sinister. Makes me think of Queen Narissa from Enchanted. Or maybe Maleficent. Not what I normally think of with Scarlet Witch.

The Gwen one is an improvement, though I don't think it's great, either.

I was very disappointed that Jean got passed over, but maybe there just aren't enough ANAD covers to work from, there. Since I've only read them in GN format, I don't know.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash wrote:
    Wrong hair colour, mask looks like glasses, general "Linda Belcher" looks...

I uh would just like to say that I find Linda Belcher to be very attractive for a 40-something cartoon mom. icon_redface.gif
  • Tenaciousdecaf
    Tenaciousdecaf Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Why is no one mentioning Electra? I kind of like the new "action shot" on the new variant.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor - prefer the original
    Devil Dinosaur - no strong preference, both are fine
    Kamala - again, no strong preference, both are fine
    Scarlet Witch - big improvement; I just don't like those silver age covers. Get rid of quicksilver's too.
    She-Hulk - don't love either the original or this alt.
    Captain Marvel - better than the standard cover. Not as good as last year's alt.
    Squirrel Girl - marginal improvement, but I don't love any of her covers so far.
    X-23 - I like this one more that the original.
    Spider-Gwen - I like this one much more than the original.
    Elektra - slight improvement
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    My thoughts (& votes in the pop up)

Thor - like both versions, voted for the alternate, but was close.

Devil Dinosaur - Never understood the appeal for this character. voted original but either's fine.

Kamala - Original is better.

Scarlet Witch - I actually like those silver age covers, but this cover is too nice to pass up

She-Hulk - Love the character, but both are just "meh". can't remember which I voted for.

Captain Marvel - voted original. The alternate doesn't really work for me. Triple images of the same character only really work if it illustrates stages of change, like Banner into Hulk. Just three of the same character looking the same each time doesn't really work unless it's Madrox.

Squirrel Girl - Another meh. I think I voted the alternate because everytime I first look at it, I immediately think she just urinated her shadow onto the wall.

X-23 - Prefer the original, but the alt ain't bad.

Spider-Gwen - I like both, voted the alt. Can't tell if its a takeoff of the 1st issue of the new Ms Marvel (pre-Secret Wars) or that Old Supergirl series Peter David and Gary Frank did in the 90's.

Elektra - Voted for the original. Surprisingly actually, I like the artist of the alt cover more than the artist who did the original, but that one isn't her best work.

We couldn't vote on Modern Black Widow. Why is that?
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Thor - New. It is a bit too "pastel" I suppose, but like the action of it. Honestly, last year's alt was her best cover.
    Devil Dinosaur - Original. We don't have many covers from the Silver Age. About 80% of covers are within the last 5-7 years or so, especially recent additions. Also, the whole "Moon Girl & Devil Dino" is kind of annoying, because she's not in the game.
    Kamala - New. Could go either way here, with a slight edge to the new one.
    Scarlet Witch - Original. As good as this new one is, I gotta go wit the original just because it's one of the few Silver Age covers we have. Gotta keep true to your roots! If this one permanently changes, then Quicksilver's should too.
    She-Hulk - Original. This one's a bit too sinister for my tastes, and something about the Phoenix Wright-esque pounding of her own name in the original gives me a chuckle.
    Captain Marvel - Original. Prefer the original, but last year's alt was slightly better. Her hair style in both variants doesn't match her in-game style, if that matters.
    Squirrel Girl - Replaced Original. The cake baking one is the best by far. Right amount of humor without the distortion. That Ren & Stimpy John K-esque original was hard on the eyes for sure, and felt very out of place with the rest of the covers. The best cover by far would be the one with her standing on a mountain of defeated A-List villains tho. icon_e_smile.gif
    squirrelgirl2.jpg?15016e
    X-23 - Could go either way here, with a slight edge to the new one. Does it remind anyone else of Nakatomi Plaza or Def Leppard's Pyromania album cover? That alone might give it the edge. icon_e_smile.gif
    DieHardNakatomi.jpg
    latest?cb=20130126040801
    Spider-Gwen - Original. Minor nitpick, but's not even of Spider-Gwen, it's of Gwen Stacy (i.e., not in her super hero form/costume). Why deny us the hoodie!?
    Elektra - New. Slight improvement. Kind of 'meh', just like her usefulness.