Women of Power alternate covers

Mawtful
Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Alternate covers are in-game. Quite a few good ones in the mix this year. Here's my hot-take list:

Thor - yes, excellent. Keep this please.
Devil Dinosaur - cool. I think I'd like to revert to the original aftwards, but if you want to add Moon Girl as a plyable character, that would be ok.
Kamala - pretty great. I really like her original cover, so it's hard to compete with it. Most of the covers from her comics are great though.
Scarlet Witch - yep. This is a keeper.
She-Hulk - looking badass. Just not my favourite cover. Maybe something like the Marvel Now She-Hulk #1 by Muntsa Vicente & Kevin Wada.
Captain Marvel - 3 Captain Moon variant? It's ok. A bit goofy. The one from last year was alright.
Squirrel Girl - Not quite feeling this one either. It's a step up from the Henderson one that was originally used, but the alt one from last year that got kept on as 'new normal' is great.
X-23 - wow. This is cool. I really like the original too, but I think I'd be happy for this to stick around.
Spider-Gwen - I think I like this better than the original.

I don't have Moonstone, 1* BW, 1* Storm or Yelena rostered, so maybe they got alternate covers that I don't know about.

Comments

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    They indicated 10 covers. The 10th is MBW - which makes sense as the other two Black Widows are from earlier periods.

It's pretty good. I hope they keep it, honestly.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hopefully someone will find and link the new/old covers, but in case anyone is curious, this is what they did last time:

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24703

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24704
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Man a lot of these alt covers are great.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    All the variant covers are pretty amazing, and vastly superior to the regular ones, with the exception of she hulk and devil dino (!); I hope they will keep them as permanent artwork.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I prefer Kamala's regular cover, but the alt one is great too - pity it highlights how badly the in-game model matches the comic version. Wrong hair colour, mask looks like glasses, general "Linda Belcher" looks...

I really like X-23's alternate cover. That one's a real keeper.

Scarlet Witch... while I don't like the alt cover used here, I do think she needs a better cover in general - one more focused on her as a character. Those silver age covers are nice but don't really spotlight individual characters like modern ones tend to.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2016
    Out of the alternates, the ones I'd like to see implemented the most are SWitch and X23. The other ones I prefer the current ones being used.

Edit: Is there going to be an announcement post where we can view all the alternate and original arts for comparison? Maybe even a vote/poll?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor: Better
    Devil Dino: Don't mind either way
    Kamala Khan: No. Prefer the original.
    Scarlet Witch: Better. Never liked the original much.
    She Hulk: Good but kinda prefer the original. Showing a character beaten up is kinda...off if you're meant to be empowering them =P
    Captain Marvel: Eh, it's okay but...not better than the previous. Should use the current 2016 #1 cover.
    Squirrel Girl: Good, but I prefer the previous, it was cuter.
    X-23: Better, keep it.
    Spider Gwen: Don't mind either way. Both are good.
    1* Black Widow: Good but...prefer the original. Original was more artistic, I felt.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    4hor: A keeper
    Devil Dino: I know Marvel would like to push their current runs but DD is one of the few (only?) piece of Kirby art.
    Kamala Khan: Nice but I prefer the original one.
    Scarlet Witch: Not a fan of either cover to be honest
    She Hulk: Prefer the original
    Captain Marvel: Nice but I prefer the original one.
    Squirrel Girl: Not bad but I prefer the current which was last years Women of Marvel cover.
    X-23: Xcellent. Keep it
    Spider Gwen: Nice but I prefer the original one.
    MBlack Widow: Nice but I prefer the original one.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    The new Scarlet Witch one is absolutely arresting - beautiful! I think it might be my favorite cover out of all available PQ covers. The carefully selected palette is candy for the eyes. Plus, you just *know* faces are about to get wrecked from the look on her face.

I also like Kamala Khan's new cover - simple and seems like a great throwback.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    I just wanted to come here and crack the joke that Psylocke gets ignored even for cover art changes.

Hers is pretty good already though, or at least I think so.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just wanted to come here and crack the joke that Psylocke gets ignored even for cover art changes.

Interesting, I was just thinking the same thing. Poor Psylocke - along with The Punisher she was one of the first star.pngstar.pngstar.png I managed to max cover, and still holds a soft spot in my heart. I'd love to see them both get the "Iron Fist/Cyclops" treatment (i.e., make them awesome in their tier). I tried to find a good alternate cover for her, but I couldn't find one better than the existing one. This was probably the best one I found, though I am not sure if it was even a comic cover, or just a good piece of fan art.

bkcjTLa.png
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    i am really drawn to the alt switch. cool cover.

#2 for me is kamala.

i am impartial to all the others, except the 1* widow. don't like that one - it's a really strange art style to me.
  • JamesV wrote:
    Man a lot of these alt covers are great.

I love the old 3 stars Drake (claws with blood). It is much much more better than the current old.

It would be great if we could switch to the cover we like.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    It really bothers me how photo-realistic Moon Girl's face (and kind of male-ish) is in that Devil Dino cover. I'm pretty sure there are better MG&DD images out there. Captain Marvel's isn't great either. All others are good to great, though.
  • prancerosner
    prancerosner Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    love new Scarlet Witch, please keep it
    new Devil Dinosaur is also better

Kamala is ok

don't care much for the rest (even if MBW is an improvement)

Could we return to the original Quicksilver cover please? It was perfect, and his current retro cover is so bland.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2016

Not only with her... I was upset that other iconic X-men such as Storm (I would really love an update for her 3* cover) and Mystique didn't have the same treatment this year too, while Goddess Thor, Squirrel Girl and Captain Marvel were chosen... again icon_cry.gif

Edited: this art would give an amazing Mohawk cover icon_e_biggrin.gif
    mistress_of_the_elements_by_studiomia-d4u2cgr.jpg
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    I hate the new Squirrel Girl cover - the old one was amazing and this one looks like she's a hobo urinating on a wall in an alley.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I put together a small album with a few of my personal choices for alt-covers:
    http://imgur.com/a/OXONE
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like them!!!
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    I always liked this artwork for Psylocke. It's not just her, but she is front and center.
    uncanny-x-force.jpg