Character Rankings February 2016 Edition: The Results

Options

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Surprised to see Kingpin climbing over 4hor, but I reckon that thanks to IM40's buff, it will reversed, next time.

Is Miles actually that bad, or people jsut haven't played with him much yet?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Surprised to see Kingpin climbing over 4hor, but I reckon that thanks to IM40's buff, it will reversed, next time.

Is Miles actually that bad, or people jsut haven't played with him much yet?

Kp is quite good, and has consistently been rated by veterans in top 10. So it doesn't come as a surprise to me. He is self sufficient and plays well. When buffed his 6 ap black deals 10k dmg. Paired well with sw.

Thora is slightly slower, though with the buff to IM40 I agree with you that she may be rank higher in the future. I still don't see her breaking the top 5 though. Top 10is good enough for her.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    atomzed wrote:
    Kp is quite good, and has consistently been rated by veterans in top 10. So it doesn't come as a surprise to me. He is self sufficient and plays well. When buffed his 6 ap black deals 10k dmg.
    But a lot of people used him with xdp. That's out the window now...
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Interesting to see the disproportionate (for their category) number of 1s for Ares, Loki, Venom4, and Carnage.

By anyone's scale a 1 must mean either the worst character in their category, or tied for it, so there are some people who apparently feel that Ares is only at least as good as Bag-Man, or that Loki is at best tied for last with (your favourite 3* pariah).
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Interesting to see the disproportionate (for their category) number of 1s for Ares, Loki, Venom4, and Carnage.

By anyone's scale a 1 must mean either the worst character in their category, or tied for it, so there are some people who apparently feel that Ares is only at least as good as Bag-Man, or that Loki is at best tied for last with (your favourite 3* pariah).
    My wife hates Ares because he feeds the enemy and damages himself. She rarely uses him because her roster is not that diverse and can't afford the health packs that he requires.

Carnage gets a lot of hate for the same reason - he is great at killing everyone....your team and himself included, and so a lot of people really don't like him for that reason.

Loki is I think unique in that he is the only character* without a single ability that scales with level (I'm almost positive of this). Not sure if that is why he got several 1s or not, but would be my guess.

I have no clue why Venom would get so many 1s. I would think not many people have much experience with him.

edit: *Only 3* character that is. Apparently Bag-Man and MBW do this as well.
  • Phaentom
    Phaentom Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My guess on the four star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png would go:

1. icon_ironman.png
    2. icon_jeangrey.png
    3. icon_iceman.png
    4. icon_cyclops.png
    5. icon_redhulk.png
    6. icon_deadpool.png
    7. icon_professorx.png

The top 7 seem to be about right, maybe a little high for the Professor.
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Took me ages to work out who the 7th missing character was, considering I had six of them championed. Goes to show which events I prefer playing!
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Loki is I think unique in that he is the only character without a single ability that scales with level (I'm almost positive of this).
    And also poor Bagman...
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    Took me ages to work out who the 7th missing character was, considering I had six of them championed. Goes to show which events I prefer playing!
    Same here. ProfX is a weird one because he is the key to winfinite and a must have for those impossible gauntlet/PvE/galactus matches. But even boosted he poses no threat on defense in PvP. I've had him stuck at 220 since they broke winfinite, working on a dupe to bring it back. So is he a good character? Game breaking. But how good is a character that hardly anyone uses at max level???
  • Wow. A week later and this thing is still dragging out. That's more dedication to suspense than those old VH1 Countdowns that would have two commercial breaks between 2 and 1.
  • Phaentom
    Options
    Same here. ProfX is a weird one because he is the key to winfinite and a must have for those impossible gauntlet/PvE/galactus matches. But even boosted he poses no threat on defense in PvP. I've had him stuck at 220 since they broke winfinite, working on a dupe to bring it back. So is he a good character? Game breaking. But how good is a character that hardly anyone uses at max level???[/quote]

I championed Gsbw(193) and Sw(197) and left ProX at 160 and winfinite still works now. Only color the Professor will tank is yellow.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    Wow, JG #1. I know she is overrated, but I still figured IMHB would take the #1 spot.
  • Phaentom
    Options
    #4 for Professor X seems way too high.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IMO
    Iceman, Rulk, Cyclops are all better than Jean, HB, PX
  • MathiasTCK
    MathiasTCK Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options
    Jaedenkaal wrote:

My wife hates Ares because he feeds the enemy and damages himself. She rarely uses him because her roster is not that diverse and can't afford the health packs that he requires.

True, but combine aries yellow with obw temp healing, and aries can walk out of a fight with more hp then he went in. You can run that combo all the way into your 3 star transition.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phaentom wrote:
    #4 for Professor X seems way too high.

Definitely some telepathic shenanigans going on here. More like #8
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm guessing Prof X's popularity may have to do with how well he works with 3*'s , specifically the Charlie's Angels combo? They're are probably more 3* roster players (or lower) voting in the poll, where he would look like an MVP (especially in PVE). As opposed to 4* roster players who favor a more active, tougher character at that level of play (especially in PVP defense. ) That's just speculation though.

The fact that's he been out longer than Iceman, Red Hulk and Cyclops, is another factor, meaning more people may have him at a working level than those other ones.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For all those lamenting Prof X's high ranking, I will also be using the question in the survey about roster strength to compare how people at 4* and beyond rank characters compared to those still at 3 to 4* transition or earlier.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Interesting results in the 4* tier.

JG and imhb are probably a bit high, and iceman/rulk a bit too low. Not sure about cyclops. The self acceleration is really good, but his damage output seems a bit low and single target for the current meta (yes, he does 11k damage, but it costs 20ap. . .). Prof. X is definitely too high; very fun character, but weak on defense and too squishy to be top tier.

Overall, I wish we could figure out somewhat to control for roster bias; people really seem to sleep on newer top tier characters that they haven't played/fought very often, so no one is really accurately rates until their second rankings.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    2K+ AOE for 16 AP can be useful.

How? It's even worse than the much reviled Ragnarok's Green. And Red may seem ok in power until you realise in most cases it doesn't cost 13 AP but up to 21. Even though I've been greatly benefiting from his super strong yellow, I'd rather have that ability weakened a bit to make his other abilities better so it would be a better rounded character.

I have to disagree about both of IM40's red and blue powers, esp. deprecating it against Godlike Power. If you're about to finish off the enemy team, I can't imagine many cases where you'd rather shoot off Rags's green over one of IM40's.

As for the potentially high AP consumption of his powers, yes, you have to be careful about when and how you fire them, but a quick workaround would be to not bring in a purple + black character (as just one idea).