Character Rankings February 2016 Edition: The Results

Options

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Poor Moonstone must be coasting on bad reputation alone. She's nowhere near the worst 2* character (Bagman just doesn't even count) and she's beastly when boosted.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For the 3* tier I wonder how people would rank IM40 today. He is the ultimate battery for R,B,G,P users now. 12 yellow and it is game over.
    The other surprise is Gamora. I find her really strong to play especially with IF. Get her to tank a lot of colors and her black is a game over button with an attack tile out. A couple PVE's ago I ran her IF with star lord and it was just crazy good.
    I think people in the 3* tier have found the strongest overall and are now abandoning the rest now that there are so many 4* around.

Thanks ebolamonkey for making the survey. It is a lot of work and you deserve much kudos for taking on the task.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    For the 3* tier I wonder how people would rank IM40 today. He is the ultimate battery for R,B,G,P users now. 12 yellow and it is game over.
    The other surprise is Gamora. I find her really strong to play especially with IF. Get her to tank a lot of colors and her black is a game over button with an attack tile out. A couple PVE's ago I ran her IF with star lord and it was just crazy good.
    I think people in the 3* tier have found the strongest overall and are now abandoning the rest now that there are so many 4* around.

Thanks ebolamonkey for making the survey. It is a lot of work and you deserve much kudos for taking on the task.

Gamora is quite good and every time when she's boosted, I use that IF/Gamora combo... except the last time she was boosted, because Luke Cage was boosted as well. As good as she can be, Cage is even better.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    People really hate TA Hulk, huh. I think two of his powers are decent, which puts him about Devil Dino and Mr. F at least.
  • Carpark
    Carpark Posts: 15
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    From personal experience he's #1 3*, hands down. His yellowflag.png was destroying Jeanbuster teams at level 66 lol. I didn't have ISO to level him right away, and he still got the job done.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I must be using Black Panther wrong because when I see him in the top 10, I go WHUH? I don't like the thought of stockpiling that much AP and then waiting for the right circumstances to Rage against panthers.

EDITED: But apparently I'm more than happy to stockpile 11 black and 9 green to get the Loki/Patch combo set up. GO FIGURE.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Chulk came in below Devil Dinosaur? Ouch.
  • mgallop
    mgallop Posts: 120
    Options
    I agree that IM40 is the new best 3, and its not even close.

Of the 4s revealed so far, Carnage being as low as he is seems completely crazy to me, though its probably because he's terrible at climbing and PvE grinds. But he is VERY good at hopping.
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Carnage and Venom being that low while Fury still hasn't been revealed is very surprising to me. Maybe not Venom, since he's pretty new (but still really good), but Carnage is easily mid-tier, and probably close to t10.
    658 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    Carnage is the first **** of the rankings. Look at all those 1-3 rankings!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Carnage is a bit hard to rank. He is a decent scarecrow in pvp, but not nearly as good as someone like jg or iceman or rulk. He isn't great on offense, since he is slow and/or self damaging.

Overall I think 19 is low but not egregious. He ended up close to where he belongs: just out of the top 10. Perhaps some would argue that fury should come out of the top 15 in exchange for him. That's reasonable, but seems like a close thing to me either way.

I was more surprised by spider Gwen being so high. She has 2 decent-to-good powers, and one very weak one and she is so new that almost no one has her covered yet. I wonder if her ranking will hold true once people start to cover her.

Im40 yellow might be the single best 3* power now, but IF is still the best 3* overall. 2 excellent powers and 1 decent one. Im40 has one excellent power and 2 **** ones. And his self acceleration is hurt by the self stun and ap loss.

Not sure where venom should end up. His yellow is very good, but I don't know about either of his other powers. They are hard to judge without a covered venom with which to experiment.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd hardly call IM40's blue and red powers bad. Like a lot of people have noted, it's comparable to 3clops's red, and 2K+ AOE for 16 AP can be useful.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    2K+ AOE for 16 AP can be useful.

How? It's even worse than the much reviled Ragnarok's Green. And Red may seem ok in power until you realise in most cases it doesn't cost 13 AP but up to 21. Even though I've been greatly benefiting from his super strong yellow, I'd rather have that ability weakened a bit to make his other abilities better so it would be a better rounded character.
  • The Carnage ranking is absolutely terrible. He is arguably the best defensive 4*. If his cheap high dmg powers don't scare your opponent into an outright skip his passive slows their ability to beat you giving you more time for clean hops.

The self damaging characters were all undervalued in general actually.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They used to be roughly tied in effectiveness, but 2* Thor has become better than Ares, thanks to across-the-board HP buffs and the scaling changes. Ares isn't as much of a ST beast and Thor gets a bit more use out of that green acceleration. He still might be the best of the middle of the pack, but that's 5th place which makes him a little overrated, IMO. But that's more because MNMags is a little underrated.
    I must be using Black Panther wrong because when I see him in the top 10, I go WHUH? I don't like the thought of stockpiling that much AP and then waiting for the right circumstances to Rage against panthers.
    You shouldn't need to stockpile. Get 9 yellow, make tasty Strikes. Accumulate 12 Black, finish the fight. Two great powers and a decent situational one (Blue can crank out good attrition shield in ninja waves, creates specials for Falcon/Bullseye to capitalize on, e.g.).

I think it's pretty cool that a huge chunk of 4-stars are in the 5-7 range, that means the devs are doing a decent job of balancing things. Looks like 4th and 5th place are on the cusp of a placement swap.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    Options
    ErikPeter wrote:

I think it's pretty cool that a huge chunk of 4-stars are in the 5-7 range, that means the devs are doing a decent job of balancing things. Looks like 4th and 5th place are on the cusp of a placement swap.

not sure about this. 5 or 6 are described as upper tier and can almost be interchanged on teams, 7 or 8 are solidly middle tier and are targets for the upper tier...and the rest are basically garbage and not even used when boosted.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    thanos8587 wrote:
    not sure about this. 5 or 6 are described as upper tier and can almost be interchanged on teams, 7 or 8 are solidly middle tier and are targets for the upper tier...and the rest are basically garbage and not even used when boosted.
    Wait, you're saying everything past rank 12 or 14 is garbage and not even usable boosted? Come on... yeah, the bottom 3 or 4, but not the bottom 13 or 15.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    thanos8587 wrote:
    Wait, you're saying everything past rank 12 or 14 is garbage and not even usable boosted? Come on... yeah, the bottom 3 or 4, but not the bottom 13 or 15.

yeah its not far off, i count 10 fast i think are garbage tier and a few others bordering. my basic comment was to say the balance is not really all that good. if it was all 25+ would be of relative equal threat and they are FAR from that. there are clearly 3 distinct tiers, the ones you want to get, the ones youre ok with getting and the last batch youre icon_evil.gif when you hit. thats not balance.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd be curious if IM40's revamp might actually push 4* Thor higher in these rankings. That combo has been such a beast for me lately, it's really changed my mind on her (and was the clincher for champing IM40).

Surprised to see Fury higher than Antman or Carnage, as both of them seemed more popular in use this past year. Fury's not bad tho, maybe its just because he was so early in the game and more people have him, and thus relied on him more than I have.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    thanos8587 wrote:
    yeah its not far off, i count 10 fast i think are garbage tier and a few others bordering. my basic comment was to say the balance is not really all that good.
    Sure, you can argue that balance isn't all that good, but you can't support that argument by saying that there are 13-15 (and now downgraded to 10+) that are unusable when boosted. You're underestimating half of them if you really think they're that bad.