MPQ At Marvel.com: Green Goblin Alert!

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Keep your heads down and run for cover – Green Goblin is flying into MPQ!

If you're of the opinion that Marvel Puzzle Quest needs more villains - you'll want to check out Marvel.com right away for first news on Norman Osborn’s arrival. In a chat you won't want to miss, Demiurge's Casey Malone goes in-depth on Green Goblin’s abilities and reveals killer details for the game’s newest 5-Star.

You can find it RIGHT HERE.

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: GREEN GOBLIN
Quote:
"Marvel.com: What led to Green Goblin becoming the latest addition to 'Marvel Puzzle Quest'?

Casey Malone: When it came time to pick our newest 5-Star character, we realized that it’d all been good guys so far—even if they’re a little darker shade of good than normal—so it’s time for the villains to represent! There are a few great big bads in the Marvel Universe that’d fit in nicely at 5-Star, but given how much love the Spider-Man family received in recent months it seemed like a great time to ruin their party and bring in the Green Goblin.
"

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Green Goblin: blacktile.pngpurpletile.pngyellowtile.png

....what's missing?
  • GGs black power seems...poor?

Silver surfer's red is 7 ap. At 2 covers it deals 1547, and at 3 covers it deals 1797.

Goblin's black is 8 ap. At 2 covers it deals 1590, and at 3 covers it deals 1853. It can only be fired every 3 turns (less if you reduce the countdown), and can be permanently lost. The interview uses foes (plural) but the power screen shot says foe (singular). Guess we'll see when the full power specs are put up.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    All eight people in the game that super whale everything will be super pleased.
  • Clyve
    Clyve Posts: 91
    I'm not sure how he stacks up power-wise to the other 5-stars, but he does sound like a lot of fun to play!
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2016
    So which characters will be able to fortify non-countdown special tiles, as told on marvel.com?

Also, penalty for losing the glider should be removed or compensated with ridicolous damage.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Releases as amazingly intriguing as this (can't wait to throw bombs!!) are why we need the preview node back in the season!!!!!
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    So how do fortified tiles work with Teen Jean's purple? Double purple to destroy them or is it still a single use of the power?
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    woopie wrote:
    So how do fortified tiles work with Teen Jean's purple? Double purple to destroy them or is it still a single use of the power?
    Good question. Also, what about 3* Falcon's Redwing? Is it unable to overwrite fortified countdown tiles?
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Sweet a villain!

Oh, a 5*.

Nevermind, don't care now.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since all new characters are either 4 or 5*, they have no positive impact on my gameplay, so yay for staring at them through a glass ceiling, especially when they are 5*'s.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Fiiiinally.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Well he seems fun to play with, especially his purple.

As for fortified tiles, I think the next step is to change Invisible Women to use fortified tiles instead of "bubbles". I mean it's almost the same ideea. Or at least make us choose what kind of tile do we want when we fire the ability: fortified or bubble (both have their usages).
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    Releases as amazingly intriguing as this (can't wait to throw bombs!!) are why we need the preview node back in the season!!!!!

Indeed. - Teal'c
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    They used a lot of things I wanted to see in the Green Goblin I suggested a year ago. I'm decently happy with their design.

I like their Glider ability. Make it powerful, but possible to lose. Just know that the AI will butcher this ability and probably match away their own glider.

My Pumpkin Bombs ability was a random use instead of being able to choose different powers. I'm not sure which I like better... having 6 abilities in a single cover sounds amazing, but I also kind of like the totally random grab bag with mine.

Fortified CD tiles is like what they have in the Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest for support abilities. They can take multiple hits/matches before being destroyed. I like my greenflag.png insanity better than the CD tile manipulation. Making CD tiles decrease faster means that the devs still don't realize that many of the best CDs in the game are SUPPOSED to stay out. Like do you want 4clops' CD tile to disappear? How about MrF's? How about Colossus?

The evil genius thing kind of gets lost in this ability. I don't mind having a passive that fortifies your own CD tiles, but make that a side power like Surfer's anti-stun. A 5* without healing (unless he's got true healing in his pumpkin bombs), without major strike tile production (unless those are ALSO in the Pjmpkin Bombs), without AP generation (notwithstanding any pumpkin bombs that do differently) isn't as valuable.

This was my Goblin for reference:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=30443#p368170

5 Star Norman Osborne (Green Goblin)

Insanity. greenflag.png (Passive). At the start of every turn, Norman (true) heals himself and the opposing team for 1,000 health, then puts out a green attack tile and strike tile of strength 1,000 and turns a random team up tile into a basic greentile.png tile.

Glider Smash. blackflag.png 10 Black AP. Norman remotely controls his glider to impale his enemy. Deals 12,500 damage to the target.

Goblin Equipment redflag.png 7 Red AP. Norman reaches in to his bag of tricks and randomly uses one of the following abilities: Pumpkin Bombs, deals 2,200 damage 5 times to random members of the enemy team; Razor Bats, deals 6,500 damage to the enemy team and drains 3 AP from a random color; Electric Gloves, deals 9,150 damage and stuns for two turns; and Gas Attack, destroys all greentile.png basic tiles on the board and deals 420 damage to the enemy team per Green tile destroyed.

Edit: Updated the damage for a 5*.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Konman wrote:
    All eight people in the game that super whale everything will be super pleased.

And the rest of us get a two week break from the need to roster a new character who won't be particularly useful for weeks to months. I'm good with that.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2016
    I datamined a screenshot of the glider animation.

389799ae-6b79-4c47-b092-ba7962c2e9d6_zpso1eispxw.png
    Buret0 wrote:
    This was my Goblin for reference:

Goblin Equipment redflag.png 7 Red AP. Norman reaches in to his bag of tricks and randomly uses one of the following abilities: Pumpkin Bombs, deals 2,200 damage 5 times to random members of the enemy team; Razor Bats, deals 6,500 damage to the enemy team and drains 3 AP from a random color; Electric Gloves, deals 9,150 damage and stuns for two turns; and Gas Attack, destroys all greentile.png basic tiles on the board and deals 420 damage to the enemy team per Green tile destroyed.

They're not tricks, Buret0.

They're illusions.
  • So, how long until we run into the PVE event that justifies his existence?

Because I don't know how ready I am to fight that.. and yet, quite curious how Norman himself ended up back on the glider.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally I think this seems like a missed opportunity for Iron Patriot.

Just hoping it's going to be a new story campaign that introduces him (and that it's not a 7 day grind to the death.)

Oh, wait. As a 5 star, he get's no story nor any release event. He just pops into the token rotation at the decided time.

In any case:

Give me Iron Patriot!!!!
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 wrote:

As for fortified tiles, I think the next step is to change Invisible Women to use fortified tiles instead of "bubbles". I mean it's almost the same ideea. Or at least make us choose what kind of tile do we want when we fire the ability: fortified or bubble (both have their usages).
    But fortified tiles are new content and a new ability!! Although it sounds a lot like a bubble tile icon_e_sad.gif
  • wymtime wrote:
    D4Ni13 wrote:

But fortified tiles are new content and a new ability!! Although it sounds a lot like a bubble tile icon_e_sad.gif

Well, part of the "idea" of Bubble tiles is to lock away problematic tiles so that they are no longer in effect. (Even if it's better to put them next to the tile and Crush the neighboring ones away)

While Fortified tile do the opposite: they protect them from matches, so that they can be in effect longer.
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Personally I think this seems like a missed opportunity for Iron Patriot.

Just hoping it's going to be a new story campaign that introduces him (and that it's not a 7 day grind to the death.)

Oh, wait. As a 5 star, he get's no story nor any release event. He just pops into the token rotation at the decided time.

In any case:

Give me Iron Patriot!!!!

Better yet:

Give me Iron Patriot that is NOT a Iron Man reskin.

I don't want the ultimate enemy of the game to look like a clone of a 1* character.