Upcoming Alliance Features Discussion

Options

Comments

• Teke184 wrote:
    Any chance of sharing unused covers in rewards with other alliance members?

It could be a way to progress some members of the alliance along, as I can send my extra Amazing X-Men Wolverine or Modern Cap covers to a newer member who could use them when I finish in the ** area of a tournament rather than just cashing them in for a miniscule amount of ISO.
    I dunno about sharing covers themselves, but I think it'd be cool to donate unwanted covers for some other kind of bonus or benefit to the alliance rather than always selling for ISO.
  • Moon 17 wrote:
    I like the idea of gaining extra benefits through alliance participation, but I don't like the idea of a leaderboard. EVERYTHING in this game is competitive...another leaderboard would just be one more way for the gap between old gamers and new gamers to widen. Why not just make a separate checklist of Alliance progressive rewards? When your group amasses a certain number of top 5 finishes in PVE, everyone gets a prize. When your group earns a certain number of wins overall, everyone gets a prize. And so on. It would make alliances feel a lot more casual and not simply turn them into one more fierce area of direct competition.

I love the idea of expanding the size of my alliance. My wife is already sure she's going to be a member of mine, even though she doesn't really play enough to make the cut. Shouldn't be too expensive, though, or it will just feel like gouging--especially if there still isn't any benefit to being a member of one. Chat would be handy, of course, and private alliances are fine (although you have the option of kicking anyone whom you don't want now, so they kind of already exist). All of those extra features are meaningless, however, if there isn't a mechanism in place to reward players for alliance participation. Until a good leaderboard or progressive track to reward alliance members exists (hopefully it's the second of those things), there's no incentive to spend time with the other features (especially if they cost heropoints).

What would this game be without competition? I don't just want those top placement rewards, I want the satisfaction of stepping over 200 to 1000 people to earn them. If you want participation ribbons go play Candy Crush.

Participation ribbon 3-pack - (BEST VALUE!) $99.99
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Ghast wrote:
    Any plans to let us share rewards with Alliance members instead of/in addition to Facebook friends?
    Nothing planned for near term, no. That's one of my personal crusades as well. Not everyone has or wants to use Facebook after all.

Question -- someone in the Global List of Alliances thread said that they saw the option to share rewards with Alliance members instead of FB friends:
    JimRichey wrote:
    Long time lurker here...

Just a heads up that on those random reward screens where you could choose to "share with FB friends or discard" it's now changed "share with FB friends or Alliance Members"

I haven't gotten any rewards to share since I joined an alliance... has anyone else seen this option?
  • I've been banging seed teams in LR off and on all day, and have not had option to share anything nor have I received any rewards from FB friends... Does joining alliance disable this feature?
  • IceIX wrote:
    That's one of the things on the board but it's not nailed down yet. So don't depend on it appearing, but it's definitely something we''re looking at. I love the idea of the Alliance working together for bigger goals personally.

I am not sure I like this idea. If this goes through it basically becomes akin to WOW where you have to join an alliance or guild to get the maximum out of your play experience. I like the idea of alliances but ones that are more passive, you get some small benefit but it's no big deal.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Expand Alliances – Players will be able to spend Hero Points to expand their Alliance, adding more friends to their existing Alliance.

Is there a particular reason why the Alliance was limited to 5 people to start? I had to exclude some friends from the Alliance which was not a very fun conversation.
  • kaganb wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Expand Alliances – Players will be able to spend Hero Points to expand their Alliance, adding more friends to their existing Alliance.

Is there a particular reason why the Alliance was limited to 5 people to start? I had to exclude some friends from the Alliance which was not a very fun conversation.
    Hence why there isn't one forum alliance but like 20. Definitely sucks. Hopefully it's like the covers where the first expansions are dirt cheap and ramp up significantly after that.
  • Will 'sandboxed' players be able to participate in alliances?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Will 'sandboxed' players be able to participate in alliances?
    Don't know why they would. They're in their own sandbox for a reason. They can always chat with CS to remedy that. In completely other news, I just went and changed my Live account to IceIX. So now if you see that name in PVP you know who you'll be beating down.
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    In completely other news, I just went and changed my Live account to IceIX. So now if you see that name in PVP you know who you'll be beating down.

Just out of curiousity what was your screen name before. I have a feeling we met on the PvP field before.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Will 'sandboxed' players be able to participate in alliances?
    Don't know why they would. They're in their own sandbox for a reason. They can always chat with CS to remedy that. In completely other news, I just went and changed my Live account to IceIX. So now if you see that name in PVP you know who you'll be beating down.

That could be a blessing or a curse. Only time will tell.
  • If 6 months from now we aren't in a situation where you're either in an alliance or a second class citizen I'll be amazed.

Games just cannot resist adding this ****.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    So would this be more along the lines of a couple of weeks or a couple of months?
    Probably closer to the former than the latter. I don't think we'd wait months before rolling out any more character changes. I just don't have a timeline to give unfortunately.

Thanks for the info! Are you guys considering toning pve down when the mags/spidey nerf hits? I feel like those 2 characters are a big reason why people are able to consistenly beat level 230s.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Teke184 wrote:
    Any chance of sharing unused covers in rewards with other alliance members?

It could be a way to progress some members of the alliance along, as I can send my extra Amazing X-Men Wolverine or Modern Cap covers to a newer member who could use them when I finish in the ** area of a tournament rather than just cashing them in for a miniscule amount of ISO.

+1

Not just because I'm one of the weaker members in my alliance icon_e_biggrin.gif , but also due to respec and differences in char focus. This would go hand-in-hand with alliance chat and alliance progression tracking. It could take the form of a common alliance rewards queue to which you can send covers from your personal queue, or an option to let all fellow members see your personal rewards queue (and hash out transfers in alliance chat).

From a monetization POV, I can see one pro and one con:
    Con - alliance members who sometimes pay for covers wouldn't need to pay for as many covers. I'm guessing, though, that the covers that people pay 100's/1000+ HP for are quite rare anyway, so alliance cover transfer would have little impact. Also, power-level-1 covers cannot be bought, period, so unlocking level-1 powers through cover transfer would generally encourage more/earlier paid cover upgrades.
    Pro - greater incentive to buy roster slots & alliance expansion slots.
  • Moon 17 wrote:
    I like the idea of gaining extra benefits through alliance participation, but I don't like the idea of a leaderboard. EVERYTHING in this game is competitive...another leaderboard would just be one more way for the gap between old gamers and new gamers to widen. Why not just make a separate checklist of Alliance progressive rewards? When your group amasses a certain number of top 5 finishes in PVE, everyone gets a prize. When your group earns a certain number of wins overall, everyone gets a prize. And so on. It would make alliances feel a lot more casual and not simply turn them into one more fierce area of direct competition.

I love the idea of expanding the size of my alliance. My wife is already sure she's going to be a member of mine, even though she doesn't really play enough to make the cut. Shouldn't be too expensive, though, or it will just feel like gouging--especially if there still isn't any benefit to being a member of one. Chat would be handy, of course, and private alliances are fine (although you have the option of kicking anyone whom you don't want now, so they kind of already exist). All of those extra features are meaningless, however, if there isn't a mechanism in place to reward players for alliance participation. Until a good leaderboard or progressive track to reward alliance members exists (hopefully it's the second of those things), there's no incentive to spend time with the other features (especially if they cost heropoints).

This is not Hello Kitty Island Adventure. Competition is what drives me in this game.
  • How about the ability to build a headquarters. like move into the baxter building, avengers mansion, xavier institute or buld oyur own in asgard or genosha.

each location would give you a different kind of buff like faster healing, greater chance at boosts, slightly longer shields.

could also have the ability to build vehicles like a quinjet that would give you some small capability.

The only thing about building up any kind of alliance property would be the concern that someone could help build a baxter building but then get kicked out and not benefit from what they worked towards.
  • IceIX wrote:
    In completely other news, I just went and changed my Live account to IceIX. So now if you see that name in PVP you know who you'll be beating down.

Yay icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • IceIX
    Options
    Just out of curiousity what was your screen name before. I have a feeling we met on the PvP field before.
    I was using Alsandair01 before that. The 01 was because Alsandair was used before the game was Live and we flipped the DB over. I never bothered going in and changing both usernames so that I could have the original.
  • IceIX wrote:
    I was using Alsandair01 before that. The 01 was because Alsandair was used before the game was Live and we flipped the DB over. I never bothered going in and changing both usernames so that I could have the original.

so you wanna join my alliance or would that be cheating icon_e_wink.gif
  • IceIX
    Options
    so you wanna join my alliance or would that be cheating icon_e_wink.gif
    I get absolutely nothing special for being on the dev team, so it wouldn't be cheating really. I can go hog wild with junk on the QA servers, Live is 100% legit for all of us. That being said, I'm in an Alliance with some RL friends. icon_e_smile.gif