Enough with Captain America

Options
2»

Comments

• Yeah, I want to use more OBW and Thor but I havent seen covers for either of them recently. After the rewards i've pulled this week I literally have more psylock covers than OBW.

• Yeah, which is why I'm trying to figure out if Cap is worth leveling despite that. I know that the characters I've listed are definitely competitive relative to other 2*s, but Cap might just be too slow to be on the same level. You might be better off sticking with a level 50 IM35 than transitioning into a high level Cap only to bench him and never use him again once you have better.
    I maxed Cap after Thor and Wolvie, but I feel he was definitely worth it. He was buffed in numerous events which gave me an easy time to place high and win other covers. Without buffed events, he didn't see much use. So I suppose his worth is dependant on how often he gets buffed.
  • Cap is a character that has an extremely slow startup time. However, if a match lasts long enough, he can be quite problematic.

As most have said (or implied), he is too slow to be meaningful for PvP, with the caveat of a well-managed board.

His skills are very expensive because all of them come the explicit ability to manual place their countdown "recovery" tiles (for red and blue) to ensure the highest difficulty/annoyance in actually defeating them before they go off. If Shield Return is allowed to execute, Cap can all but keep throwing his shield in perpetuality.

His yellow could also in a pinch act as yellow/crit tile generator, as you can choose the needed tiles to make matches/crits.

For PvE, maxed red and blue also allows for overwriting of countdown tiles, another plus.

It is a shame that in PvP, Cap will likely never last enough to accumulate the large amount of AP needed for his skills as he will either be downed or mana tapped (ala OBW or similar) well before he can execute any of his abilities.
  • Cap really needs a tweak up to be realistically playable in a non-boosted event. I can see him being paired with MN Mags to chainstun if his ability was a bit cheaper.
  • Definitely go with where covers lead you. I've got four or so fully covered 3*, and I still don't have a fully covered Thor or Logan. All the luck of the draw. I ended up running OBW/IM40/random low level green character for a while. Obw is still my only maxed 2*
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You know we on the forums say Cap is unusable but in a thread a while ago asking who the most used characters are Cap was right up near the top. When we all were surprised IceIX said that people just seem to like playing with him and he fits the style of a casual player who wants to play with his/her favorite heroes.

The forum is the hardcore player and we are probably <5% of the entire player base. If in the other 95% Cap is popular as is there is no reason to change him and there is more reason to offer him as a prize for those who want to level him up. Without being explicitly stated I think the prizes are sometimes meant to help players get the covers for those characters which are being used more than average.
  • I guess I'm the only one who is actually happy to get Captain America covers in my pull (on the other hand, I managed to get two Thor red covers I don't need from ** pulls). I've been finding him very useful for the ISO-8 event because he's buffed, and I've been running an C.Storm/Magneto (Now)/C.America team. Basically, I use Captain America to tank, and his yellow skill at max can create quite the line of cascades which usually supplies a boatload of AP for the skills of my other characters. If I'm low on red AP for Magneto's red skill which blows off 1000+ damage I can use Cap's red skill to generate 9 AP for the countdown.

I think without the buff he might be less useful and he's one of those characters that are useful in the 2** transitional stage if you have a fair amount of covers for him but don't have anything workable in the better characters.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Yeah, I want to use more OBW and Thor but I havent seen covers for either of them recently. After the rewards i've pulled this week I literally have more psylock covers than OBW.
    I'm in the same boat.

1 OBW cover in the last 10 days (now at 4 total covers), and no Thor covers in that time. On the flip side, Cap and AsWolf are now near maxed covers, and PvE-buffed Cap is a decent tank, so that's something.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    i just sold 11 Capt. America covers (and 6 Purple Moonstone covers). All of them were red and yellow (i still need two blues). None of them were tourney rewards; they were all cover tokens.

sucks.
  • With this event running you think they would be kind enough to make psylocke drop.

But no...that would be cool and restricting you from a sub event for not having a cover is uncool so keep on being uncool.
  • Lyrian wrote:
    Cap is a character that has an extremely slow startup time. However, if a match lasts long enough, he can be quite problematic.

As most have said (or implied), he is too slow to be meaningful for PvP, with the caveat of a well-managed board.

His skills are very expensive because all of them come the explicit ability to manual place their countdown "recovery" tiles (for red and blue) to ensure the highest difficulty/annoyance in actually defeating them before they go off. If Shield Return is allowed to execute, Cap can all but keep throwing his shield in perpetuality.

His yellow could also in a pinch act as yellow/crit tile generator, as you can choose the needed tiles to make matches/crits.

For PvE, maxed red and blue also allows for overwriting of countdown tiles, another plus.

It is a shame that in PvP, Cap will likely never last enough to accumulate the large amount of AP needed for his skills as he will either be downed or mana tapped (ala OBW or similar) well before he can execute any of his abilities.

Such a great and true post.
  • If I were to guess, giving out 2* wolverines could have something to do with him being changed not long ago and captain america could be because he's boosted in the current pve event and unobtainable from prologue (ala moonstone previously)? That's just my guess though...
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cap is my highest level character, as a result of covers and buffed events. Even so, not one of my favorites. Due to the costing of his abilities, he shines late game. If the game doesn't last that long, or if you can't keep his countdown tiles alive, he doesn't shine at all.
  • He's not completely horrible on offense, but on defense he's a free lunch. AI has no idea how to place tiles.

For PVE where he's boosted/mandatory, he goes great with patch. Pop berserker rage and have cap overwrite enemy tiles.
  • little sick of the 2* buff tokens tbh. I haven't seen a thor cover drop (waiting for a few for respect) in maybe 5-6 weeks meanwhile I think I could make a complete backup of daken/moonstone/capn america/magneto. Do you have a 0 chance of getting the other 2* characters with these tokens? I've gotten 3* with some of them but I think they were all the buffed characters. I suppose you could just hold onto them until they transform but then proably less of a chance of getting psylock icon_razz.gif
  • Event tokens only drop event characters.