Enough with Captain America

Options
octagon69
octagon69 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I know he has a movie coming out and all but enough with the Cap. America D3.

Why does the second tier of covers for every tournament have to be Cap. America? Why no Ares or obw or any other 2 star?

Non stop Cap. America drops and prizes.

Almost no one uses him outside of boosted PVE events.

Comments

• It's bad anough that it seems 4/5 tournaments have Cap as their 2-star prize, but most of the "event tokens" have a chance to give Cap (seems like a 99% chance sometimes icon_razz.gif ) as well. Even if he were a great character, we're drowning in Cap covers!
  • Agreed.

I need a Black OBW to respec... cmon devs, save me 500 HP, my patience is wearing thin.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Well, its either CapA or 2* Wolv. Almost no one needs either.....

Once I realized I couldnt grind enough to place well in my bracket (cant hit replenishes due to timing) for BP I almost stopped playing PVE altogether. I jump in for some of the iso but thats it.
  • I always get classic storm or modern hawkeye
  • NotYou13
    NotYou13 Posts: 104
    Options
    Completely agreed. Between the two star tier awards being all Cap lately and the tokens from this past even giving me about 75% Cap (with about 20% MN Mag Blue), I'm beyond tired of seeing him.

To a lesser extent, I've felt the same way about MN Mag Blue lately. They've been flooding us with that one color and ignoring the rest.
  • For me it's Hawkeye. Every silver token, I get purple or red, purple or red. RNG hates me right now lol
  • Be thankful it's not Daken, Bullseye, or Bagman
  • Bugpop wrote:
    Be thankful it's not Daken, Bullseye, or Bagman
    I actually need all 3 of those.
  • Because Captain America can be seen as the most direct and compatible transition from IM35 for newer players. (Whether the upgrade is "better" is debatable, but not relevant here). IceIX has said in the past that Captain America is the most played 2** character, and likely for this reason.

-- Both IM35 and Cap are high HP characters for their respective power levels.
    -- Both IM35 and Cap share the same colors. (Red, Yellow, Blue).
    -- Both IM35 and Cap share abilities with similar functions:
    -- Red: Repulsor Blast --> Star Spangled Avenger: DD attack
    -- Yellow: Armored Assault --> Sentinel of Liberty: Multiple protect tile generation ability
    -- Blue: Ultra-Freon Beam --> Peacemaker : Stun attack

Thus, Captain American appears to be the most "comfortable" way that the devs see to move new players from the 1* Prologue covers to the 2** covers needed to participate effectively in the PvE Story events and PvP tourneys.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    Because Captain America can be seen as the most direct and compatible transition from IM35 for newer players. (Whether the upgrade is "better" is debatable, but not relevant here). IceIX has said in the past that Captain America is the most played 2** character, and likely for this reason.

-- Yellow: Armored Assault --> Sentinel of Liberty: Multiple protect tile generation ability

Thus, Captain American appears to be the most "comfortable" way that the devs see to move new players from the 1* Prologue covers to the 2** covers needed to participate effectively in the PvE Story events and PvP tourneys.

Has anyone actually played with Cap as their main 2* character before? I'm writing a guide for newbies and trying to figure out if he could even be recommended as someone to level up if you're desperate. His ability set seems okay for clearing enemy countdowns and sustained stun/damage, but has the game slowed down enough such that he's actually useful?
  • octagon69
    octagon69 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Everything the guy above me said is fine.

But not all the time. All PVE tokens cap. All 2 star awards cap.

It's always Cap or A. Wolvie.

I would be fine with Daken/Bullseye/ etc. etc as long as it cycled to OBW and Ares eventually.

Cap is a joke and a poor substitute for IM in the mid game cause his abilities take too long.
  • Ironically I say that, and my daily reward on my free account is OBW. ****, I want her for my other team... At this rate, my freebie team will turn out much better than where I spent my cash...

And as for Captain, I have him, I figured he would just be a higher level IM35, and intended on hanging onto him for now since the events like to boost him. I would rather others but damn, my luck is not with me on that account. If I see one more Hawkeye or Black Widow, Imma scream.
  • Lyrian wrote:
    Because Captain America can be seen as the most direct and compatible transition from IM35 for newer players. (Whether the upgrade is "better" is debatable, but not relevant here). IceIX has said in the past that Captain America is the most played 2** character, and likely for this reason.

Has anyone actually played with Cap as their main 2* character before? I'm writing a guide for newbies and trying to figure out if he could even be recommended as someone to level up if you're desperate. His ability set seems okay for clearing enemy countdowns and sustained stun/damage, but has the game slowed down enough such that he's actually useful?

Captain America is a situational PVE character. I only use him if he's a required character or as a buffed meat shield if it's not a particularly difficult fight.

Thor is the 2star that should be your bridge from a one star team to a two star team, since you get covers through prologue/shield training.

Even after the nerf, I think Thorverine + OBW is the fast track to tourney placement and 3 star covers.
  • Even after the nerf, I think Thorverine + OBW is the fast track to tourney placement and 3 star covers.

For a 2* team I'd put Ares in before Thor. Admittedly for someone just coming up from the prologue the Thor is going to be more accessible but Ares is a more dangerous hitter and covers the same colors as Thor.

I'm hypothesizing here, since I was already fielding 3*s when Ares came out, but I'd think Original Black Widow + Ares + Wolverine would be about the most dangerous team possible with just 2* characters. Or heck, Original Black Widow + Ares + Modern Storm would have a heck of a lot of punch at the cost of being squishy.
  • I've been complaining about this for a while now, to the point that I sent the devs a ticket because of the ridiculous amount of Caps I get from special tokens.

THre are so many covers I could use, like Ares, Loki, Rags, Mags, obw, even my daken is incomplete, but 90% of special tokens gives me a Captain America, so freaking annoying.

And this pve tournament i've been getting c storm way too often, I placed top 5 on most subs and all ive been getting is c storm and mn mags, hell I got 3 blue c storms from 3 straight tokens icon_evil.gif

What they should do is give us the chance to select what cover we want, when we open a token it should let us choose from lets say 3 covers.

With my luck chances are those 3 would be Caps too icon_evil.gif
  • I've used Cap a lot, but not as my only main. I actually consider him a replacement for Hawkeye, both excelling in PVE. Despite sharing similiar abilities to IM35, I don't consider him a replacement, instead Thor or Wolvie. Have to consider their functional role--IM35 is a dps/tank, Cap is a tile remover.
  • Even after the nerf, I think Thorverine + OBW is the fast track to tourney placement and 3 star covers.

For a 2* team I'd put Ares in before Thor. Admittedly for someone just coming up from the prologue the Thor is going to be more accessible but Ares is a more dangerous hitter and covers the same colors as Thor.

I'm hypothesizing here, since I was already fielding 3*s when Ares came out, but I'd think Original Black Widow + Ares + Wolverine would be about the most dangerous team possible with just 2* characters. Or heck, Original Black Widow + Ares + Modern Storm would have a heck of a lot of punch at the cost of being squishy.

Yeah, but the time you have have enough covers for Ares, your Thor/Wolverine should have a significant leg up on levels.

I'm suggesting skipping Ares all together and transitioning right into 3 stars.

I maxed him out for his tourney and to offset the Thor nerf, and used him a few times in LRs since alot of the villains won't benefit from an infusion of green AP, but now he's firmly planted on my bench.

I agree Ares packs more punch, but if the goal is to get from noob status to contender as fast as possible I think you want to max out the aforementioned 2 stars then save your iso for leveling up 3 stars.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Even after the nerf, I think Thorverine + OBW is the fast track to tourney placement and 3 star covers.

Yeah, but the time you have have enough covers for Ares, your Thor/Wolverine should have a significant leg up on levels.

I'm suggesting skipping Ares all together and transitioning right into 3 stars.

I maxed him out for his tourney and to offset the Thor nerf, and used him a few times in LRs since alot of the villains won't benefit from an infusion of green AP, but now he's firmly planted on my bench.

I agree Ares packs more punch, but if the goal is to get from noob status to contender as fast as possible I think you want to max out the aforementioned 2 stars then save your iso for leveling up 3 stars.

I don't think you should just restrict yourself to just thorverine/obw: you really just need to work with what you can get. If a character is in mid-high tier of the 2* characters available (OBW,Ares,Thor,Wolvie,C. Storm, MN Mags, Daken) and you have covers available for that character, you should probably just go for it. Getting a couple of high level characters is essential to completely transitioning into 2*s, so working with whatever covers you have will accelerate that growth. Also note that just because people are more inclined to have Thor/Wolvie covers, it doesn't always work out in practice: I've seen someone with maybe 6 Thor/Wolvie covers but a near maxed out Daken, for instane.
  • I don't think you should just restrict yourself to just thorverine/obw: you really just need to work with what you can get. If a character is in mid-high tier of the 2* characters available (OBW,Ares,Thor,Wolvie,C. Storm, MN Mags, Daken) and you have covers available for that character, you should probably just go for it. Getting a couple of high level characters is essential to completely transitioning into 2*s, so working with whatever covers you have will accelerate that growth. Also note that just because people are more inclined to have Thor/Wolvie covers, it doesn't always work out in practice: I've seen someone with maybe 6 Thor/Wolvie covers but a near maxed out Daken, for instane.

Which is probably part of why Cap is such a popular character... it doesn't help to say "Use Ares or Wolverine" when everyone building their 2-star teams has 15 Cap covers and only 2 Ares Covers!
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    gamar wrote:

I don't think you should just restrict yourself to just thorverine/obw: you really just need to work with what you can get. If a character is in mid-high tier of the 2* characters available (OBW,Ares,Thor,Wolvie,C. Storm, MN Mags, Daken) and you have covers available for that character, you should probably just go for it. Getting a couple of high level characters is essential to completely transitioning into 2*s, so working with whatever covers you have will accelerate that growth. Also note that just because people are more inclined to have Thor/Wolvie covers, it doesn't always work out in practice: I've seen someone with maybe 6 Thor/Wolvie covers but a near maxed out Daken, for instane.

Which is probably part of why Cap is such a popular character... it doesn't help to say "Use Ares or OBW" when everyone building their 2-star teams has 15 Cap covers and only 2 Ares Covers!

Yeah, which is why I'm trying to figure out if Cap is worth leveling despite that. I know that the characters I've listed are definitely competitive relative to other 2*s, but Cap might just be too slow to be on the same level. You might be better off sticking with a level 50 IM35 than transitioning into a high level Cap only to bench him and never use him again once you have better.