New IM40

2»

Comments

• CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    I was trying the new IM40 with Kingpin/Beast, and he's just fantastic now. I happened to have him on 5 yellowtile.png and never bothered to change him. He generates 12 redtile.png, 12 bluetile.png, 9 greentile.png, 3 purpletile.png at a cost of 6 yellowtile.png. That lets him work well with 4Thor, Carnage, Iceman, Kingpin, Nick Fury, Jean Grey, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Cyclops, Daredevil, Human Torch, Iron Fist, Magneto, Psylocke, Ragnarok, Rocket&Groot, She-Hulk, Vision, Loki, and Patch.

His redtile.pngbluetile.png powers only drain yellowtile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.png now instead of all colors. Very likely, he'll be able to trigger his redtile.pngbluetile.png early in a match now. The drains now make it a more interesting strategic choice.

IM40 and She-Hulk + Carnage/ProfX has a new dynamic based on hypercharging She-Hulk.
    1. 6 yellowtile.png for Recharge. Eventually generate 12 redtile.png, 12 bluetile.png, 9 greentile.png, 3 purpletile.png
    2. Cast 6 greentile.png Furious Charge, 9 redtile.png Power Of Attorney, 9 bluetile.png Settlement

With that, there will be a lot of special tiles on the board, and the enemy will be damaged and drained. After trying it out several times, can confirm that IM40 + She-Hulk works very well.

Can confirm IM40 + Captain America is an incredible team.

Pairing him with 4Thor didn't go as well, but that was against an Iron Fist + Luke Cage + Beast team. Still won, but Beast died along the way.

You forgot a couple of note - RHulk (powers up his purpleflag.png & greenflag.png powers), XPool (makes his redflag.png so so easy to slice and heal). In fact I used RHulk/IM40/XPool in simulator to devastating effect (even without boosts just collect 6 yellowtile.png 4 purpletile.png, 2 greentile.png, 1 redtile.png and it's pretty much game over - finish off with IM40 blueflag.png if anyone left standing).

Also, I used IM40+LThor on the LR and found them to be a wonderful pair (stuns and charge tiles and smites galore). Just pair with anyone with greenflag.png active for nice synergy.
  • So IM40 was previously near or at the bottom of almost every ranking list of 3* characters.

I'm wondering what this change means in terms of his placement amongst 3 star characters now. Is he about to be the #2 support character behind SW? That yellow is A LOT of AP generation for real cheap!
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    GMadMan040 wrote:
    So IM40 was previously near or at the bottom of almost every ranking list of 3* characters.

I'm wondering what this change means in terms of his placement amongst 3 star characters now. Is he about to be the #2 support character behind SW? That yellow is A LOT of AP generation for real cheap!

The big three 3* support characters are now Iron Fist (for blacktile.png ), Scarlet Witch (for purpletile.png ), and Iron Man 40 for (for redtile.pngbluetile.pnggreentile.png ).

I found this fix to IM40 about a billion times more interesting than the last 10 character releases.

With the new guys, I could probably grind like heck for a few days for a chance to get the covers, and then I'd have a likely poor level-capped character with 3 covers and almost zero chance at getting them to an interesting level. With months of work, I might be able to get one of the new guys up to something interesting. With the same amount of effort I could write a new Android app or build a patio deck. I've been told I'm not missing much.

With a fix to an existing character, I can start having new fun with the game instantly, and I don't need to do anything.

If the devs want to re-energize the game and make it last, fixing flaws in the structural foundation will go much, much farther than pouring thousand of gallons of lard on the roof.

Other hugely successful games I'm now following tweak the strongest and weakest characters with every release, and these tweaks always outnumber the introductions of new characters. It makes all the characters more valuable, makes the game more valuable, and shows that the developers value their own game.
  • GMadMan040 wrote:
    So IM40 was previously near or at the bottom of almost every ranking list of 3* characters.

Some would even argue #1, even.

He is a support character with the health of a Tank instead of a Twig like most supports are.

And Unibeam is a decent finisher/backup option too.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    after playing with him at 3 yellow, I can't wait to get him champed and respec'ed. he's right after I finishe 4cyke (225 and counting - will be a bit). with all the red users in LRs I've been playing him with ice and its really great, even at 3 yellow. I especially liked them with daredevil. put traps on red then change red to blue with purple making things matchable. I see myself using him...a lot. especially in pve, I've been relying on hood so much - he may squeeze his way in there quite a bit too.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been testing him out with 4cyc in the LR's and while it works well enough, it's not as great as it first seems. The main problem is that you're not getting any TU's, so cyc's red can only fire at half strength.

Don't get me wrong, it's still really nice getting all that red and blue in exchange for 6 yellow ap, but in about 10 matches I've used it today I haven't fired cyc's blast at full power one time. Boosted cap actually seemed a little faster. I think he might be better off with 4thor. My GoT is 4/4/4 and underleveled so I can't really compare it myself.
  • I tried IM 40 with GSBW plus the HOOD = serious cascade damage and GSBW assassin mode. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    He made the seed team fights in Gamora's lightning round fly by. Recharge, Skull Cracker, next fight!
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was trying the new IM40 with Kingpin/Beast, and he's just fantastic now. I happened to have him on 5 yellowtile.png and never bothered to change him. He generates 12 redtile.png, 12 bluetile.png, 9 greentile.png, 3 purpletile.png at a cost of 6 yellowtile.png. That lets him work well with 4Thor, Carnage, Iceman, Kingpin, Nick Fury, Jean Grey, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Cyclops, Daredevil, Human Torch, Iron Fist, Magneto, Psylocke, Ragnarok, Rocket&Groot, She-Hulk, Vision, Loki, and Patch.

What is your reasoning behind pairing him with Kingpin, that seems a poor match to me since they both want yellow, he doesn't generate black or as much purple?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:

What is your reasoning behind pairing him with Kingpin, that seems a poor match to me since they both want yellow, he doesn't generate black or as much purple?
    It's 8 yellow for 8 purple, doesn't remove yellow from the board, and gives you another color to generate Red/Blue/Green. I have been using this combo myself and I love it. Kingpin also tanks Yellow and has good health in which the enemy will have to chew through.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Am I the only one kicking myself hard for selling that yellow Im40 cover a few weeks back? Feel like a total idiot.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I tried IM40, Scarlet Witch and Kingpin in SHIELD sim. Worked pretty well, almost played itself. Generated purple becomes yellow which then becomes all these other colors...
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    IM40, 4cyc and quicksilver is so much fun in the hulk pve.

I've never been a fan of 5 green on fist, but changed it to play him with IM40 and 4cyc in the pvp and it's pretty glorious too.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    How about updating IM40's PVP art?

He looks so lonely icon_lol.gif

Talk about power creep .... Mr. Stark is a victim of "art creep".

im40pvp_zps9dphnykm.jpg

I feel like they should update his art completely. I mean, compare Hulkbuster with IM40 and there's no contest, the artist has come a long way since this game started. A lot of characters still hold up, but I always felt IM40 looked kinda...bland. Not shiny enough.
  • Wow...ok then...just got my hands on 5 yellow covers for IM40...and legitimately, it has become nearly the most significant power in the game. The amount of AP generation is unbelievable.

Tony Stark has gone from near the bottom of the 3* landscape to very, very close to the top.

Getting the skill off even once is a complete game changer. If you can jump on getting 12 yellow early in a match, it's over.

Don't see him being an overwhelming threat on defense, but taking him out has to be considered a priority.

How long before someone starts the "Nerf IM40" thread? icon_lol.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can imagine some pretty tough gauntlet nodes with im40 now. ones you can't bring your own im40 or hb. if they throw out im40/cyke/either jean or bobby, that's basically all my maxed (or soon to be maxed) guys, I'd be really ****, and if it included jean, it would be really hard to whale it unless ice could stun her quickly.