Are you overwhelmed by the rapid character releases?

13»

Comments

• Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    I can see the frustration of new characters for Newer players. For veterans like myself I don't see the problem as it keeps the game going for me. I don't like I can't buy covers anymore and I think that the leveling for 5 and 4* characters needs to be fixed. I understand their fix of making CP a thing, but depending on brackets and your roster it is still very hard to get to that 1300 mark in pvp to get the 25cp. Everyone just uses HulkBuster and Jean, and its like i dominate. Well I would have that team too if it didn't take so much ISO to lvl them up. Ive just now over the past 2 months without spending 1k plus of money to get Iceman and Jean Grey to fully lvl.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    ViralCore wrote:
    Please consider scaling back the character releases to every 3-4 weeks instead of every 2. This still gives us something to look forward to while allowing us to delve deeper into the richness of each character.

I agree that we should slow down the rate of new releases coming out, but I think from the business perspective game devs/publisher need the revenue flow from new character releases. So I won't be holding my breath waiting for a slowdown.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:
    I agree that we should slow down the rate of new releases coming out, but I think from the business perspective game devs/publisher need the revenue flow from new character releases. So I won't be holding my breath waiting for a slowdown.

This might've been true before CP was introduced and while HP sales still drove cover purchases.

With covers costing CP, 5* championing and buyers clubs everywhere, I have to think that new covers (like Gwen) is a more minor source now.
  • puppychow wrote:

This might've been true before CP was introduced and while HP sales still drove cover purchases.

With covers costing CP, 5* championing and buyers clubs everywhere, I have to think that new covers (like Gwen) is a more minor source now.

I'm sure that's what they're paying close attention to to try and figure out.

But I wager that the HP bought, then spent on roster slots faaaaaaaaar outnumbers the amount of HP bought, and spent on covers.

Or at least, I wager that's why they changed the HP covers to CP.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Yes.

Sometimes I think our more seasoned players have a narrow view of the game. Not everybody is lucky enough to be able to compete for progression awards when those covers come up. You've had a lot more time to work on your 4 star roster, and as such you probably have a nice stable of 4 star characters that go a long way in reaching that coveted reward in PVP. And ya know something? Good for you. You deserve that for playing the game for so long.

Newer players such as myself (day 300), who are pretty much done collecting and leveling 3 star characters, have a much harder time building a stable of 4 star characters to compete. I wasn't around when they first released a lot of the 4 star staples like Kingpin or Hulkbuster. Legendary tokens have gone a long way in helping players such as myself, but the frequency in which we are actually pulling usable covers is much less so than in the past, when a lot of people who were lucky enough to be playing the game around than had a much higher frequency of pulling a usable cover.

I have one 4 star that is ready to be max leveled, and a couple more on their way, but it doesn't really make sense pour all that iso into these characters because they don't have very good synergy together. In the meantime I'll keep pulling covers for Mr. Fantastic and Chulk and getting creamed in PVP. You're welcome. I have an entire gallery of 4 stars that only have a handful of covers and are eons away from even being playable.

If the endgame here is to make 3* the new 4*, and as such their covers more readily available, then I'm fine with that. I don't expect to be a reckoning force overnight, but it would be nice to get that 4 star progression reward I desperately need occasionally. As of right now I'm still a long ways off. Sometimes in this game it feels like only the top 25% of players are reaping the rewards, while as I advance my roster I am only met with more difficult competition. Don't forget us new players, games like this need new blood to survive.
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    I'm sure that's what they're paying close attention to to try and figure out.

But I wager that the HP bought, then spent on roster slots faaaaaaaaar outnumbers the amount of HP bought, and spent on covers.

Or at least, I wager that's why they changed the HP covers to CP.[/quote]

I think what they are looking at is the flux of when they get the most income from their game. They changed how to lvl characters, because a portion of the community complained that it wasn't fair to be able to level your characters by paying for it, and etc. Hence enough complaints they changed it. On the other spectrum their are still a few players that drop a hefty bit of money every time a character is released. I've read some article or forums where players will drop 10k a month on a game. This is why you have those teams that dominate, because you have those players that "Want to be the best," and spend those copious amounts of money on the game. Devs got to keep the majority of their player base happy, so that they can continue to improve and develop on the game. I like the flux of characters cause there is a very large array of characters they can choose from and try new things with.
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Saying that they have to release new characters on this 2 week schedule in order to stay in business, is a fallacy. That's just the business plan they've chosen to go with. It's not the only one available to them, even within the framework they already have in place. It IS however the easiest and least imaginative option that reliably hits that temporary excitement button for a lot of players, so they're sticking with it. Because hey, it's worked so far, who cares if it contributes to player burnout and frustration over stagnant progression...Look at the new shiny!

Seriously, after over two years it would be really nice to see more lateral thinking from the devs than just constantly churning out more characters. There's been some solid changes in the past 2 months, and they ARE encouraging, but the core issue of power creep and multiple resource bottlenecks hasn't gone anywhere.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Releasing a new character every two weeks isn't overwhelming if the ISO & HP flow was better, and if there were more daily rewards or progress rewards, ala MFF style.

Cover rewards for the new characters after their PVE release should be more abundant as well, so that players can quickly max cover them and try them out in PVP and PVE. Lots of room for improvement, but only if the devs admit they can do better for the player base.