Are you overwhelmed by the rapid character releases?

Comments

• Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    The obvious example is CHulk; he will never see use outside essential nodes.

Not true. I will use him ironically.

Ugh, this forum was the one place I'd hoped never to meet a hipster. icon_twisted.gif
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Calnexin wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

Ugh, this forum was the one place I'd hoped never to meet a hipster. icon_twisted.gif

I'd use him more if he had an ungainly handlebar mustache.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Calnexin wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

I'd use him more if he had an ungainly handlebar mustache.

STOP THIS MADNESS.
  • slidecage wrote:
    Dont see a problem with every 2 weeks and most should not have a problem getting enough coins to cover them very easy to get 2000 HP a month

like to see them add more tokens though

How about a heroes or villian pack

I do want to know better ways to grind out more HP.

Right now I'm just getting 100 HP per PVP event, pray for good Daily Supplies or a good late bracket for PVP or PVE, and trying to get anything out of PVE is just too painful for me. I can't get the 3 clears in the past few PVEs I've tried. I just can't keep up with that and it just killed motivation to try and get anything else, much less the 5 or so clears all essentials I need to get a T50 for that HP.

Is there any better way then that?
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    they did slow down the 3*s towards the end iirc and we all caught up some. here there is so much catch-up to do with iso, they could take months off and I still wouldn't have everything leveled that I WANT to level. not including rags, IW, and psylocke, but characters I actively would love to have maxed.

I don't think we're supposed to catch up. Once you max everything out, the game ends. A FTP game has to constantly move the goalposts to remain viable.

As players, we have decisions to make. I think the concept of the game was that you could develop the characters and teams you liked. But the design since then fosters a pokemon-like drive to collect, because without essentials you can't earn jack.

I'd really like things to slow down. I'd appreciate if the game evolved some slower-paced play. Viable 2* tournaments, more 3* (rather than 4*) characters.

I love the game, but I do feel like I'm chasing it rather than playing it. I'm still evolving a 4* roster, but haven't sunk any serious Iso into it because I'm in the midst of champ'ing 3*s so I can further evolve the 4*s without doling out more cash (I've already spent more than I feel I should have). Of the dozen or so 3*s I have left, only 2-3 of them actually matter to me. I'm intending to champ the rest of them purely for champ benefits. That makes me feel like I'm playing it wrong.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    No, because the majority of them I'm not fussed over.

I am focusing more on covers for characters I will enjoy using or will improve my roster. Hulkbuster, jean, iceman, cyclops, red hulk, thing, deadpool maybe a couple others.

I'm so over the gotta catch em all aspect of the game. If I get covers for the others, great. I'm not gonna lose sleep or try hard to get them though.

Once in awhile I chuckle at the 2* pve players with 17 4*, 2 5* and only 3 or 4 3*. It's like that episode of himym "oh honey!"
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    Dont see a problem with every 2 weeks and most should not have a problem getting enough coins to cover them very easy to get 2000 HP a month

Right now I'm just getting 100 HP per PVP event, pray for good Daily Supplies or a good late bracket for PVP or PVE, and trying to get anything out of PVE is just too painful for me. I can't get the 3 clears in the past few PVEs I've tried. I just can't keep up with that and it just killed motivation to try and get anything else, much less the 5 or so clears all essentials I need to get a T50 for that HP.

I get most of my HP through Championing. I unfortunately have max champed many of my 2*s already... I may start new ones to get more HP. I'm also almost done champing all my 3*s.. just 8 more left! They provide lots of HP as well. And I even have a few 4*s done (including IW!!!).
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Nope. The more characters that are released, the closer we are to getting Howard The Duck and Doop.
  • Cousin Simpson
    "Are you overwhelmed by the rapid character releases?"

Nah, all good things come in time, including covers in MPQ.

So, no, I am not overwhelmed.

Unfortunately, all **** things also come in even faster icon_lol.gif , and therefore I am certainly underwhelmed when new characters stink up the place.

The devs had a horridly hit-and-miss run last fall ... the recent drops all seem at least OK. Some even great.

So it should average out to being whelmed, no?
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    TazFTW wrote:
    Doop.

<3
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    I have a shed load of full covered 4s waitin for some iso,sadly most of them will only see it to get high enough for 4*dpd
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    The problem is getting the ISO to make them usable. I've got 12 or 13 covers on four 4*s that haven't gotten any ISO, and I haven't put any ISO into any 5*s yet. It'd be nice to be able to use these outside of BoP once a month.

Something we hear the Devs say consistently is that they want you to have to pick and choose who you will use based on your favorite characters or play-style, I'm guessing the ISO bottleneck is how they intend to make this happen.

The problem I see with it is that there is no "picking or choosing" because of the massive power gap between good and bad characters, it's like the developers have chosen who you have to have first. Yes, this has been happening at the 3* level, but the I don't think it is acceptable at the 4* level. It takes a player a much longer time to reach 4*s, so they shouldn't have characters that are outright bad or situational. Let's hope they start buffing 4*s soon too.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    When a PvE with a new character comes out I don't even bother anymore to try and get those covers. There's no use when all of the 4*s I already have are waaaaay under leveled. I have every 4* there is right now, but all in a totally unplayable state...
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 2 sens on the solution(s) for their 2 weeks release schedule: Moar ISO and moar covers from placement rewards.
    Please note that 2 sens is worth 0.5 cents, so my opinion doesn't matter icon_razz.gif
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    The new character releases is not to much of an issue for me. The big issue is the lack of ISO and cost to level a 4*. I currently have 8 4* at level 70 and iceman at level 94 (I tried him in DPDQ before he had any covers). I also have 14 4* covered at 13 covers and 2 at 12 covers. I only have 3 at level 270. This is not because I am a soft capper it is because I have a complete lack of ISO to level them to 270. I play PVP, PVE, LR, Sim to 2000 points. I even play heroic PVE because I know I will come out ISO positive. The issue isn't roster slots it is ISO plain and simple.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

100 or more per PVP 1200 per month
    skip a few pve get put into a noob bracket 100 per top 10 min 600 per month
    rest should come from alliance and taco if your lucky.

i think just team yo would get 25 to 50 for a 3 /4 day event 50 to 100 for week

2 week event per month 100 to 200
    2 3.4 day 50 to 100 (150 to 300) just getting allanice pve.

also if you only do PVP and never do PVE or not much PVP really dont even need 2000 HP a month for slots

lucky sitting on 20 open slots with 1000 HP and only put 50 bucks real cash into the game.. have 105 slots total.

few months when i was hitting pve sort of hard was clearing 8000 per month
  • Dauthi wrote:
    Something we hear the Devs say consistently is that they want you to have to pick and choose who you will use based on your favorite characters or play-style, I'm guessing the ISO bottleneck is how they intend to make this happen.

I'd be fine with this if the bottleneck meant most people have half or so of the characters leveled. I have 5, which is less than 20%. Granted I'm not as much of a veteran as everyone else, but I've been playing competitively for a little over a year. Given the rate of release, this ratio is only going to decrease over time.

Ignoring that, the cost is still way too high considering the power of 4*s relative to the 3- and 5*-tier.

Add on top of this that they essentially force you to keep a stable of characters on your roster (through PvE essentials) that -- by their own plan -- means you will never level, for what? Driving roster slot sales.
  • The 2/month release rate worked well for 3* characters, but is too fast for 4*s - especially considering the additional ISO spend on the 5* "transition". I'd be happy if the release rate slowed, but probably more happy if the ISO rate was increased.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, I was overwhelmed by two things. First, all the new characters. Second, the lack of fixes to old characters.

They've finally put out a fix for IM40, and it looks pretty good. Players have been begging for that for 2 years, and it seems the devs have finally heard them. Since the devs may be taking their own game seriously again, I might need to start looking again.

New characters I haven't bothered with:
    4*: Red Hulk, Totally Awesome Hulk, Ghost Rider, Miles Morales, X-23, Spider-Gwen (don't have), Nova (don't have), and Venom (don't have).

Looks like I have all 3* characters. I had to edit this to add Venom -- I was so overwhelmed by all the 4*'s that I made a mistake in listing all the ones I hadn't bothered with.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    New characters I haven't bothered with:
    4*: Red Hulk, Totally Awesome Hulk, Ghost Rider, Miles Morales, X-23, Spider-Gwen (don't have), Nova (don't have)
    they've said they aren't working on any more 3s for now. the only key characters there are 1) rulk, and 2) maybe x23. Nova looks like he might be decent and GR black can be brutal, but if you play a match effectively, its pretty useless. I don't think you're missing out on a ton other than rulk. high health, self feeding (and green zeroing of the opponent) aoe guy with a very expensive, very strong best move. he's the only character there that has any frequency of use at the top, and really mainly only boosted. unboosted, ice and jean still are preferred.