What's the incentive?

IFORANI
IFORANI Posts: 91
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I have zero fully covered 4 stars, 1 255 5 star (1 cover jean) and over a dozen 3 stars at below 175 champion. And most the rest of everyone is below 130.

With this being my roster how come in the last couple of PVE events has I been placed with top 10 of maxed 4 stars and higher 5 stars. Why? Does this sound correct? Does anyone else have same issue?

Since this had pretty much kicked me to the bottom in Nova and Gwen releases.

What is the incentive of this is suppose to be to compete beyond a couple PVE a year waiting until new character releases only?

A added note highest 4 star is 131 and only 2 more over 100

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Your PVE bracket is based on your placement in previous PVE's. PVE is set up so anybody can place against anybody because of scalping. If you play a lot of PVE you might be seeing people who only play new cover PVE's. The new release PVE is played by basically all competitive players because it is the only time you can win 4-5 covers of this character. Players with high level 4* and 5* might not play othe PVE's because the reward is not worth the effort for them. Remember high lev l players complain that 2* teams and soft cappers beat them out for placement in PVE.
    It looks like you got placed into a very competitive bracket. If you play it right there is no reason you cannot compete in PVE with them.
  • So let me get this straight. Since I play every PVE whether I finish in top 100 or not I get grouped with good rosters who don't play PVE except for new character releases. And if I didn't play a lot of PVE it was still not matter because I would still be playing against people with these rosters who don't play anything but the special release events.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Not quite correct.

Your PvE bracket (veteran vs newbie) is wholly determined by your past PvE performance. We're not entirely certain as to how it works, but it's likely that if you're performing well enough to consistently pick up at least a 3* cover (so T200), you're likely to be seeded into the veteran bracket.

It takes about 2-3 weeks of skipping PvE entirely before you slip back from veteran to newbie bracketing, and it seems to generally only last for one event before you revert back to veteran.

The fact that you're grouped with these more developed rosters is pretty much due to:
    (a) You're performing well in PvE
    (b) The new release cycle is fast enough that the vets who are only playing new release PvEs aren't having the opportunity to fall out of veteran brackets themselves.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    IFORANI wrote:
    So let me get this straight. Since I play every PVE whether I finish in top 100 or not I get grouped with good rosters who don't play PVE except for new character releases. And if I didn't play a lot of PVE it was still not matter because I would still be playing against people with these rosters who don't play anything but the special release events.

Yes, you need to TANK (i.e. place BELOW 300) on pves for old releases, and hopefully that will allow you to avoid the competitive brackets. You'll need to tank for at least 3 events. I have alliance mates who did that, and succeeded in avoiding the death brackets.

Personally, I don't mind being placed in competitive bracket. The guys with high 4s and 5s still have to deal w/ scaling at 395 sooner or later. So it's not a cakewalk for them either.
  • Okay I understand this now. Thanks for the help explaining something else that makes no sense about the game. But however maybe it's me but I'm confused on competitive bracket should have nothing to do with the rosters differences and the fact I have a alliance almost full of competitive players who's roster is similar.

My first jump in the new PVE is from 70s to 195s. I however have no one over 175 except one lonely 255. Not really competitive to me. Yet I'm sure those who's rosters above me recieve somewhat up scale of 350 to start out so can't say not fair at least since they have multiply 5 stars.

So if all fair this still beggs the original question. What's the incentive to play all PVE?
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Let me explain my incentive. New release pve gives 3 covers for individual t10, 4 for t2, and one more for alliance. At no other time you can get that many covers at once. I play competitive pve only for those new releases, while when its old character I'll play for iso, and will let t10 to those that need it.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    cant remember what is it around a month or 2 until you really need these 4 stars beyond the PVE that follows. cant remember.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    IFORANI wrote:
    So if all fair this still beggs the original question. What's the incentive to play all PVE?
    • Lots of ISO
    • HP rewards
    • CP rewards
    • Cover Tokens
    • Progression rewards
    • Sub placement rewards
    • Overall placement rewards

I think that about covers it.
  • I'm on day 460 and have only placed in T10 PvE once. I only got to 1000+ in PvP about 4 months ago, so I concentrated on PvE near exclusively. I understood all the PvE tips, but couldn't implement 3 hour grinds at the end of every sub plus another 45 minutes for the start of the next sub.

I now concentrate on PvP and play PvE casually. I aim for T20 PvE for new character releases, but only get T50.
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    With your roster as it is, I doubt you're being competitive in PVP. That means PVE is your only avenue of earning CPs fast enough to get Legendary tokens. With the game transitioning to 5* now, that's your end game progression right there. If there's no incentive for you to get to the end game, might as well not play?
    Even if my assumptions were wrong and you are consistently hitting 1300 in PVP and getting the 25CP there, PVE every 3/4/7 days is about 40CP a week. You mean to say you're not interested in DOUBLING the rate of your end game progression?
    Getting top 2 or top 10 is just icing on the cake.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    IFORANI wrote:
    So let me get this straight. Since I play every PVE whether I finish in top 100 or not I get grouped with good rosters who don't play PVE except for new character releases. And if I didn't play a lot of PVE it was still not matter because I would still be playing against people with these rosters who don't play anything but the special release events.

Sure. Why does this seem wrong to you?

The whole point of developing your roster is so that you will have an advantage. If people only played against equivalent rosters what would be the incentive to upgrade? It would only make the game harder.

As it is scaling is brutal enough, but also to have the best rosters bracketed together so that, even though they have the best rosters, only 10% of them can win anything, doesn't seem remotely fair.

It would also be a fantastic way to drive away all the whales who finance the game, if they were actually penalised for being a whale by being in a limited pool of rewards.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Eddiemon wrote:
    The whole point of developing your roster is so that you will have an advantage. If people only played against equivalent rosters what would be the incentive to upgrade? It would only make the game harder.

So you're saying it becomes easier with a developed roster? heh, i feel like the opposite is true.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:

So you're saying it becomes easier with a developed roster? heh, i feel like the opposite is true.
    That's cause the two of us, plus at least 10 other people, always, always ALWAYS are in the same PVE bracket.
    So from my point of view I am already grouped together with the same people with the same rosters, without fail, so yeah, what's the point? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I haven't placed top 200 in PvE since the TTHulk event. I think it's because I opened a 5* right around then.

I feel like I spend a pretty fair amount of time on the game, bordering on obscene, actually (an hour or two a day, sometimes more than that even). But I don't remotely get how you're supposed to hit the top rewards without making this game your whole life.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought this was going to be a thread about busting your **** for 4 days while other players joined, played 1 node and got higher placement rewards.

Yeah yeah, playing for 4 days gets more iso/hp/cp....getting 3 4* covers for playing 45 seconds > that.
  • Xenoberyll
    I thought this was going to be a thread about busting your **** for 4 days while other players joined, played 1 node and got higher placement rewards.

Yeah yeah, playing for 4 days gets more iso/hp/cp....getting 3 4* covers for playing 45 seconds > that.

That's one of my pet peeves with PVE. Play good and get lumped with other winners until you don't win anymore. Get a top 2% score, playing a near perfect schedule but get top 20 rewards because you're in a devil's bracket. And then go like all those facebook posts where people win with a fraction of your score and effort. hotdog.png

I think that rewards should come with progression, not rank.
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    With No Mo 20 ISO, you're actually sacrificing a lot of ISO and CP if you snipe a late bracket.
  • Xenoberyll
    Huatimus wrote:
    With No Mo 20 ISO, you're actually sacrificing a lot of ISO and CP if you snipe a late bracket.

That hasn't changed much 20 ISO or no. People sniping late brackets are trying to get easy covers for little effort. They're not there for ISO mostly.
  • I snipe because I simply don't have the time to play every 8 hours for 3-7 days. The covers if there are any are a bonus.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I'm torn between the need to do well and the reality that the devs hate my living guts and want me to fail and be miserable and to punish me for any successes I achieve. I want those Legendary Token but it is plain truth that every time I earn one I can hear their echoing laughter from far away as they teabag me in the next event. That is the nature of PvE.