Poll: would you like 24/7 lightning rounds?

2»

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll actually go put two more things under dev perspective:

Easy implementation (no need to modify code) -- this might be a reason to push for 24/7 every two hours rather than alternate versions.

Player engagement -- they mentioned DDQ brings more people playing every day, LR's would do the same thing - but more often! That's what you want as a developer, don't have me tapping out all off-season and playing Dragon Age (like I've done) - stay here, keep the app running, come back and possibly use/need more shields and health packs!

Again - any implementation of more LR's would be a win. Will you fall behind someone who runs all of them? Perhaps...but like DDQ, you can run them when you want, as you want! Just like PVE's, you don't -have- to grind it every single time, but it gives you another option to play.

I'm in agreement that my 4* roster is like candy to the 5* rosters - I don't even finish running the LR's until 30 minutes or less remain now, or I'll be juicy candy indeed. I'm not certain that it isn't the case that the 5* rosters need more ISO...but I'd love to see no 5*'s in LR's (or in game overall....). Honestly, I'd be fine with no 4*'s in LR's - make those boosted 3*'s fight each other evenly.

Whatever it takes for this ISO boost to happen!
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    24/7 lightning rounds on the current schedule (every 2 hours) would be a bit much.

What I'd like to see is: Lightning Rounds every 5 hours.

By making it an odd number greater than 3, it means that the start time is going to vary on a day-by-day basis, and by making it every 5 hours, it means that the times will vary on a week-over-week basis.

This'll make it work for everyone, and work for everyone's schedule. There will even be some lightning rounds that line up with end times of PvPs or PvEs, where competition might be lighter.

In addition, have the lightning round featured/boosted characters correspond to the weekly boosted characters from last week. This'll add some variety, give an extra benefit to having boosted them for the previous week, without making a given week wall-to-wall 3* Cyclops the way it would if it was the featured characters of the current week. A small number of the lightning rounds can utilize a featured 2* character, and a handful can utilize a featured 4* character, to mix it up a bit.

This. My two complaints are:
    1. I work every Tue-Thur. I do not get the benefit of being able to play these and do most of my gaming on the weekends and evenings. So I am at a disadvantage to anyone who has flexibility on these particular days.
    2. Same flippin' essentials over and over. How about some variety??

Stax' recommendation above would work well for me.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    LRs are brutal enough as is. Without changes, I wouldn't want to participate in the same freaking three star battles over and over again. The ISO is fine, but until the rotation is changed, I don't want to see them expanded.
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Phumade wrote:
    You won't be enjoying it, when the 5's start mowing you down in the LRs.

I have a strong 4* roster (5 championed 4*s, JG, HB, XFW XFDP, Flaptain, with another 15 4* covermaxed)
    and I play the LRs religiously from Tues-thurs.

So I can tell you from personal experience that
    1. to the 5* players, even a championed jeanbuster combo is effectively a seed team.
    Very true
    2. They won't stop playing at 240 ("traditional seeds"), it used to be that 400 would win a LR outright. Now I consistently see 500+ points.
    3. I usually just play seed teams to 240 and stop (1st ten min). Every other LR, I get attacked by a 5* team in those first 10 min.
    --- Think carefully about that statement, Its early in the event, so I'm not really worth major points. There are a ton of easier targets available. And yet, the 5* players think nothing of fighting 2 championed 4* and a max level LR character.

Everyone loves Cake and Ice cream, but no one thinks that a steady diet of Cake and Ice cream is good for your health.

In the same vein, I love playing the LRs. its easy iso and easy competion. But when its all LR all day, I can easily see the higher level players running away and abusing the events.

I have 5's and use them. I typically play 1 seed at the start and stop at 38 points. I then startup again with 20 minutes left and farm the seeds. Even after the 1 match I will still get hit once or twice by a bigger 5. I can't be worth **** to them and yet it's like clockwork.

I vote no to 24/7 LR. Would rather see something else brought into the game.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Phumade wrote:
    I don't. Right now LR are geared to 5* Rosters and don't work well for the general population.

If you don't believe me, just look at who makes the top 10 in the next round of LRs. Ultimately, extending LRs will result in 5* players just farming everyone else for iso.

Ummm... I think you missed the point of LRs, which is to be logged in at the start of the round, and hit the seed teams for iso rewards. Placement is not really a consideration, because again the primary objective is to rake in iso and covers (to be sold for iso).
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:
    Phumade wrote:
    I don't. Right now LR are geared to 5* Rosters and don't work well for the general population.

If you don't believe me, just look at who makes the top 10 in the next round of LRs. Ultimately, extending LRs will result in 5* players just farming everyone else for iso.

Ummm... I think you missed the point of LRs, which is to be logged in at the start of the round, and hit the seed teams for iso rewards. Placement is not really a consideration, because again the primary objective is to rake in iso and covers (to be sold for iso).

Totally, which makes me confused about why people are asking for them to be spread out every 5 or 7 hours. Make them 30 minutes long instead of 90 and run them every hour. The "gotta catch em all" crowd will burn out and quit and everyone else will just get to play the ones that are convenient.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    I would love LR's all the time...but I would pull my hair out for playing the game even more than I already do.

It seems like almost everyone that wants extra LR's just wants more Iso. I would like to see a 'Randomize Team' button added to every node (pve/pvp), if you complete the node with that random team then you get ~100 extra Iso (or whatever amount). But I'm sure everyone has a good idea to get extra Iso in the game, we all need it!
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Definitely yes, but the 5* scaling is still a problem. Placement can significantly increase iso hauls and they are important. The fact that top tier 4* cannot even touch 5* requires either:

a) nerfing of 5*
    b) super boosting of 4*
    c) using MMR to separate

Since nerfs suck, lets go with C.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    rkd80 wrote:
    Definitely yes, but the 5* scaling is still a problem. Placement can significantly increase iso hauls and they are important. The fact that top tier 4* cannot even touch 5* requires either:

a) nerfing of 5*
    b) super boosting of 4*
    c) using MMR to separate

Since nerfs suck, lets go with C.

I like the idea of super boosts. In fact, why not boost all teams to BOP levels except for the seed teams?

That way, the people who want to farm seed teams, can farm seeds (with very little loss of health) till they are done and,

people who want to play LR competitively can do so on the basis of their ability to make appropriate matches.

As it is, its a pretty boring carousel of the same villains and heroes. I for one would certainly be pleased to see a full rotation of 3s in the LRs.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I said yes but add the caveat that LR should be 3* and below. 5* matches already ruin the game and in *4 land it's too easy for people to just run icejeanfistbusterclops teams. Give LR a tier limit and all of a sudden it becomes a more level playing field and the fact that you have to use a featured character rules out charlies angels so people actually have to start using other teams again.
  • Electrovirus
    Electrovirus Posts: 64 Match Maker
    El Satanno wrote:
    I voted yes, but I can understand the flipside argument.

You say that, but in the 4* / 5* team dominated mess that PvP currently is, no one who needs 3* covers (other than for championing) is getting them. So it makes not a lick of difference.

That is not true. People that truly need those three stars are not in those tough brackets you speak of.
  • On my way up to 800 I'm taking on plenty of 2* teams. These are the guys that need 3* covers, and they are in my tough bracket.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Speaking for myself, I think 24/7 LRs is excessive. It's not bad, per se, but it does turn them from something of an event to a feature of the game. As a feature, I don't think we need it. What I'd like to see, myself, is two things:

- An additional 48 hour Lightning Round set per week. I think the weekend would be ideal (Fri noon to Sun noon, perhaps.) - not great for me actually, but wonderful for those people who can only play a lot on the weekends.

- More sets of boosted characters. I think they should introduce 3 more sets of boosted characters and rotate through them. It will give other characters the chance to shine, and being an odd number it will have a natural offset. 1 or 2 4*s would be nice, too, but not necessary.

This will give an extra chance for Iso for a lot of players, and end up helping the game overall.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    No. There will be much ISO in the game. If LR would be 24/7 everybody would have all characters maxed in no time.
    It is so nice to see when my opponent has ,,only" level 120 Doctor Octopus...
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    LRs all the time and new characters in the LRs. I needs my ISO and I like variety.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't like the back to back LR, and I don't like them just in the middle of the work week.

Space them out as has been suggested by people earlier in the thread, and let them run into the weekend. Also, more variety of featured LR characters.