Poll: would you like 24/7 lightning rounds?

SnowcaTT
SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Since the obvious "we all hate 20 ISO!" worked, I'm hoping to do the same with a change that has been asked for as long as I can remember and is pretty universally desired. Maybe if it gets 300 more "yes" than "no" it will be implemented as well! I'm trying to keep it simple, but I don't know what the third option would be (changes, maybe).

From a developer standpoint:
It doesn't tax the servers much - it runs during PVE + PVP and when PVP's are ending (heavy use time).
It's one of the more "democratic" areas of the game - the higher rosters usually will do better.
It's a bit more difficult for pay-to-win with these running constantly.
However, it will promote health pack/shield usage (purchases?) more often!
Easy implementation - you already have this coded in for many days, just have to change end time to "off".
Much more player engagement - players have the option (and encouragement) to play your game much more, every day.
You have a severe ISO problem but probably don't want to "give" it away, this is a good infusion method.

From a player standpoint:
That whole ISO thing.
Now you can do them on your time-frame, not the game's.
Those who have time on the weekend only - finally you can run them!

I didn't put changes in the poll (if we could get LR's 24/7 "as is" it would be a win)...but I bet a LT for 1st would promote some fighting at the top. The biggest change suggestion I would have is put in all 3*'s - 84 rounds a week would let you slowly rotate all forty of the 3*'s through different hours of different days, and would likely promote championing them all.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    I also really enjoyed the LRs that ran when Lthor was introduced. Nevermind the small brackets and bloated rewards - it was fun taking a well covered and decently leveled new character out for a test drive and would love to see this return when new characters are released
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    You need a "God yes, a thousand times yes, YES YES YES YES" option.

daniel-bryan-yes.0.gif
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't. Right now LR are geared to 5* Rosters and don't work well for the general population.

If you don't believe me, just look at who makes the top 10 in the next round of LRs. Ultimately, extending LRs will result in 5* players just farming everyone else for iso.
  • Phumade wrote:
    I don't. Right now LR are geared to 5* Rosters and don't work well for the general population.

If you don't believe me, just look at who makes the top 10 in the next round of LRs. Ultimately, extending LRs will result in 5* players just farming everyone else for iso.

You have completely missed the point of the LR. It is not for placement. It is purely for farming ISO. Don't boost, don't skip, just take your ISO and smile. You can play seed teams up to 240 points sometimes. Who cares if you get hammed after because that's over 1k ISO.
  • I dont care who wins the lightning round. I usually only kill the seed teams, gives me some extra iso ans a 2 cover for championing if lucky.
  • I voted yes, but I can understand the flipside argument.

With Lightning rounds 24/7 why would anyone with a sub-par roster bother to play regular PvP events? You'd lose a large portion of the playerbase because no one transitioning from 2/3 , would need to play PvP, they'd just play the easier lightning rounds for iso ad-infinitum.

I'm transitioning to 4* land and I can confidently say I probably wouldn't bother with most PvP's if there was a free iso option instead.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted yes, but I can understand the flipside argument.

With Lightning rounds 24/7 why would anyone with a sub-par roster bother to play regular PvP events? You'd lose a large portion of the playerbase because no one transitioning from 2/3 , would need to play PvP, they'd just play the easier lightning rounds for iso ad-infinitum.

I'm transitioning to 4* land and I can confidently say I probably wouldn't bother with most PvP's if there was a free iso option instead.

I voted yes without reservation. I quoted the above because you're missing a very important element there, Monged: From whence come covers? A smattering of LR tokens will get you mostly 2*. Hence, proper PvP.
  • El Satanno wrote:
    I voted yes, but I can understand the flipside argument.

I voted yes without reservation. I quoted the above because you're missing a very important element there, Monged: From whence come covers? A smattering of LR tokens will get you mostly 2*. Hence, proper PvP.

You say that, but in the 4* / 5* team dominated mess that PvP currently is, no one who needs 3* covers (other than for championing) is getting them. So it makes not a lick of difference.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted no, but with this caveat. I don't want to see LRs every 2 hours 24/7.

If you take the current 24 lightning rounds and stagger them every 7 hours, then sure. Or even if you increase the number and run them every 5 hours or so. If there's a couple every day, and people with different schedules can hit them different days, then I'm on board.

I know RPG's throughout time are based around the concept of farming resources, but one of the nice things about MPQ was/is the inability to truly farm (aside from 20 iso at a time).

I'd hate to fall either further behind the curve because people have more flexibility to play 10 minutes every 2 hours. Especially as a Steam user, where I'm already behind because of FB gifting. There are better ways to increase iso flow through normal play than more lightning rounds.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    snlf25 wrote:
    You need a "God yes, a thousand times yes, YES YES YES YES" option.

"I'll have what she's (he's?) having."
  • Phumade
    You have completely missed the point of the LR. It is not for placement. It is purely for farming ISO. Don't boost, don't skip, just take your ISO and smile. You can play seed teams up to 240 points sometimes. Who cares if you get hammed after because that's over 1k ISO.

You miss understand the idea of a relative curve.

While your farming 1K, The 5s are farming 2k. They are farmin 1K in iso to 240 just like you, plus another 1k going to 500+, and the 3 LR tokens they get for top 8.

5* star players deserve advantages for their character, but in no other aspect of the game can they generate over twice the iso income of a 4* or lower player for an equivalent amount of time.

PVE, They can clear faster, but AI roster scales appropriate.

PVP, They are already dominating the top end of play. But here's the difference:
    -- People can collaborate to achieve equivalent scores. Not really possible in LR.

Feel secure in your 1k, knowing that your continually falling behind the elite 5* roster in the resource curve. And it will happen ever 2hr, 24/7
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    if they did that I might take a season off of 1500s and just farm for a month and hit 1K and 1300 if easy enough. I'd then have at least filled out my 4*s and could throw boosteds out more often. a shame my 6-cover oml is mostly useless at 2/-/4.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    Feel secure in your 1k, knowing that your continually falling behind the elite 5* roster in the resource curve.
    Regardless of whether or not we have 24/7 LR, you're never going to catch up to those players anyway.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Phumade wrote:
    Feel secure in your 1k, knowing that your continually falling behind the elite 5* roster in the resource curve.
    Regardless of whether or not we have 24/7 LR, you're never going to catch up to those players anyway.

Yep, when I see the newest 5* championed the week they are introduced....I know that ISO isn't being farmed naturally.
  • John Wayne74
    John Wayne74 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    To the OP. Excellent suggestion and thanks for creating the poll!!
  • I would love this so much.
  • Phumade wrote:

You miss understand the idea of a relative curve.

While your farming 1K, The 5s are farming 2k. They are farmin 1K in iso to 240 just like you, plus another 1k going to 500+, and the 3 LR tokens they get for top 8.

5* star players deserve advantages for their character, but in no other aspect of the game can they generate over twice the iso income of a 4* or lower player for an equivalent amount of time.

PVE, They can clear faster, but AI roster scales appropriate.

PVP, They are already dominating the top end of play. But here's the difference:
    -- People can collaborate to achieve equivalent scores. Not really possible in LR.

Feel secure in your 1k, knowing that your continually falling behind the elite 5* roster in the resource curve. And it will happen ever 2hr, 24/7

I'm behind the relative curve because LTs are a joke and the RNG god hates my guts. I'll never catch those players and most of them are super whales who have most characters maxed. At least with an influx of ISO I can max my covered 4*s and try and enjoy the game more.
  • Phumade
    I'm behind the relative curve because LTs are a joke and the RNG god hates my guts. I'll never catch those players and most of them are super whales who have most characters maxed. At least with an influx of ISO I can max my covered 4*s and try and enjoy the game more.

You won't be enjoying it, when the 5's start mowing you down in the LRs.

I have a strong 4* roster (5 championed 4*s, JG, HB, XFW XFDP, Flaptain, with another 15 4* covermaxed)
    and I play the LRs religiously from Tues-thurs.

So I can tell you from personal experience that
    1. to the 5* players, even a championed jeanbuster combo is effectively a seed team.
    2. They won't stop playing at 240 ("traditional seeds"), it used to be that 400 would win a LR outright. Now I consistently see 500+ points.
    3. I usually just play seed teams to 240 and stop (1st ten min). Every other LR, I get attacked by a 5* team in those first 10 min.
    --- Think carefully about that statement, Its early in the event, so I'm not really worth major points. There are a ton of easier targets available. And yet, the 5* players think nothing of fighting 2 championed 4* and a max level LR character.

Everyone loves Cake and Ice cream, but no one thinks that a steady diet of Cake and Ice cream is good for your health.

In the same vein, I love playing the LRs. its easy iso and easy competion. But when its all LR all day, I can easily see the higher level players running away and abusing the events.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    24/7 lightning rounds on the current schedule (every 2 hours) would be a bit much.

What I'd like to see is: Lightning Rounds every 5 hours.

By making it an odd number greater than 3, it means that the start time is going to vary on a day-by-day basis, and by making it every 5 hours, it means that the times will vary on a week-over-week basis.

This'll make it work for everyone, and work for everyone's schedule. There will even be some lightning rounds that line up with end times of PvPs or PvEs, where competition might be lighter.

In addition, have the lightning round featured/boosted characters correspond to the weekly boosted characters from last week. This'll add some variety, give an extra benefit to having boosted them for the previous week, without making a given week wall-to-wall 3* Cyclops the way it would if it was the featured characters of the current week. A small number of the lightning rounds can utilize a featured 2* character, and a handful can utilize a featured 4* character, to mix it up a bit.
  • Actually, I say NO, because I'm getting tired of " timed events ", instead let us pay a small entry fee to unlock prologue, give it a switch in rewards once every month and let us farm whatever is there, no time , no competition, just play and grab.
    Or something new,
    Ex: Battles with bonus and multiplication AP instead of team ups that falls on the board, we need different things to do.