RIP Mary Jane

apexpredator85
apexpredator85 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
After fighting hard to finally catch up to rescue Mary Jane the heroes found themselves surrounded by Carnage and a couple of Goons. After barely surviving the fight with the help of Grocket and his amazing heal. Carnage retreated and found himself paired up with a Goon and a Healer. Sorry Mary Jane. You were not meant to be rescued. Heroes retreat and see a better fight vs Deadpool.

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Exactly. Carnage + 2 Muscle with a limited roster earned a big old NOPE from me.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    He can keep her! Not worth it to force my limited roster to basically just die.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Times like this I'm very glad I spent HP on 4Clops covers before the switch. 20K Combined Forces = bye bye symbiote.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    M<y Spidey is now enjoying the single life too. icon_lol.gif
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Times like this I'm very glad I spent HP on 4Clops covers before the switch. 20K Combined Forces = bye bye symbiote.

Yeah, same here. Cyke is generally fast enough to down Carnage before too many attack tiles are out, then it's damage mitigation and/or trying to take down the Muscles fast enough.

But yeah, that's one hell of a node. I'd say the nastiest non-Gauntlet node in the game.
  • Jack0fAllGames
    Jack0fAllGames Posts: 65 Match Maker
    GrimSkald wrote:

Yeah, same here. Cyke is generally fast enough to down Carnage before too many attack tiles are out, then it's damage mitigation and/or trying to take down the Muscles fast enough.

But yeah, that's one hell of a node. I'd say the nastiest non-Gauntlet node in the game.

Nothing in the most recent Gauntlet was as bad as those nodes. Especially with a limited roster.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Iceman takes him out of the fight quite efficiently. 6 blueflag.png locks him down for 4 turns, if you get 6 more while he's stunned, KO him
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:

Nothing in the most recent Gauntlet was as bad as those nodes. Especially with a limited roster.

I really don't get why the limited roster makes it much worse -- with the level scaling you're up against in PvE hard nodes, non-boosted characters are going to get massacred anyway.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    fmftint wrote:
    Iceman takes him out of the fight quite efficiently. 6 blueflag.png locks him down for 4 turns, if you get 6 more while he's stunned, KO him

For the 90% of us without a usable Iceman this node was damn near impossible with the roster they forced us to use. I bailed on that node and the final node with Carnage and Doc Ock and Venom (never touched them) and still placed 15th overall, so I know I was not alone in simply not wanting to play this ish.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    GrimSkald wrote:

I really don't get why the limited roster makes it much worse -- with the level scaling you're up against in PvE hard nodes, non-boosted characters are going to get massacred anyway.

Don't agree with this--being able to bring in OML and his yellow would have made a WORLD of difference.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    For those who have bobby/clops at reasonable levels this heroic is straight forward, for everyone else it is absolute hell.
  • Jasonzakibe
    Jasonzakibe Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Lucky for me, I has a Doc Ock Blue Team Up. It ... helped ... a lot.

I just said good things about Doc Ock...D3 is being good to us...My whole world is upside down!
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    whatever. ock isn't as bad as people make him out to be
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I beat all the carnAge nodes once and called it a day. The 2 CP is not worth the health packs. I will do some more of the trivial nodes though since I don't have to worry about 20iso now!!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:

Don't agree with this--being able to bring in OML and his yellow would have made a WORLD of difference.
    any of my list from the event thread below would have helped, I don't care if they're boosted or not. character utility is much more important than boosting.
    TxMoose wrote:
    Carpark wrote:
    Anyone else having serious difficulties with Carnage nodes? Not with Carnage himself, more so with Muscles spamming 400+ strike tiles as well as with Doc Oc.
    for the x23 nodes I had been using storm and cyke, so I could play x23 some. my first run at that essential I wiped hard, didn't even get carnage down - can't remember who I tried, but I gave up and put in ice/cyke and prayed for blue. that node on a heroic essential is really tiny freaking kitty when we have nobody to deal with tiles - no drock, no jean, no bulls, no daredevil, no shulk, no antman, no moonie, no 4thor, no Elektra, no falcon, no squirrel, no thing. any of those could have been used to help but somehow none made the list on this one, so all you're left with is trying to either stun or overpower. and this is the node they put the cp into. thanks.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:

Hood + 2 muscle in Thick as Thieves is very nasty (especially at 395). You basically take a hood nuke every 4 rounds (if not faster thanks to ap theft).

But carnage might actually be worse given the interplay of goon abilities counting as active powers (i.e. triggering carnage's passive) and threaten dropping such massive strike tiles. And a limited roster is especially hard for transitioners; the reduction in tactical flexibility from the shortened bench is exponentially worse when its stacked on top of normal roster variance from token RNG. And what is one supposed to do if the best available character they have on a limited roster is a weak 4* like elektra or star-lord? Your scaling will be very high relative to the usefulness of your roster.

And the fact that limited rosters are generally deep enough now to provide a good tactical option for any situation is pretty useless if you just don't have the right characters in a functional state. I would love to bring iceman along for the cheap stun, but my 0/2/1 Iceman just doesn't doesn't cut it. And I'm sure my roster is significantly above average in that I have a handful of cover maxed 4*s near or above 200.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    First PVE sub that I haven't done at least one clear of since champions went online (because I'm now always starved for ISO). I have no regrets.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    And what is one supposed to do if the best available character they have on a limited roster is a weak 4* like elektra or star-lord?
    I would have loved to try Elektra on that node. purple and black FTW.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    rkd80 wrote:
    For those who have bobby/clops at reasonable levels this heroic is straight forward, for everyone else it is absolute hell.

I have both championed, and I still wiped on that Carnage+muscles node once. Even with that pair a blue-starved board can mean death if you go in unboosted.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    rkd80 wrote:
    Apparently not. Looking at my bracket's top5, only one person has a legit 4* roster. The rest are all lv166 and under. That leads me to think "absolute hell" is reserved for people who've champed cyke and iceman, and are paying a scaling price for doing so.

Who knows, maybe one day they'll fix this ****.