NEW CHARACTERS and Heroic: WHAT IS WORTH?

2»

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    Magic wrote:
    WEBGAS wrote:
    I'm sick and tired of heroic events. I have 83 characters and want to use them by my own choice icon_mad.gificon_redface.gificon_evil.gif

Do you mean by this that you want to clear the PvE node with Charlies Angels whenever you feel like it?
    It's bizarre - I don't understand what's fun about plowing through all challenges with the winfinite? Doesn't that get super-boring after the first 100 matches?

I remember someone announcing quitting this game when the tanking changed on winfinite and "broke" it. But if that's why you were playing in the first place... I just don't know, man.

Winfinite appeals to the OCD puzzle gamers who like designing as many match 5s as possible by adding only 6 green tiles (but you can't add over special tiles or TUT). I admit I get a kick out of it, but that's only because I use it maybe four or five times a month. I can't imagine playing every day with that team.

I generally only use Chuck and the ladies if the node just looks unreasonably frustrating or health-intensive, like the Carnage + goon nodes from Venom Bomb. I find it incredibly tedious dorking around until the first Witch countdown goes off and then just exploding the board over and over. Then there's the times when I get really unlucky with the countdown placement and lose and get irritated because I felt like I was "supposed to win."

Old Man Logan/X23/Daken is really fun in PvE - it actually requires a decent amount of strategy (maxing out strike tiles, hoarding AP to transform OML and X23's green, rotating characters to the front to eat hits and heal up), and has the bonus of saving loads of health packs.

I used to hate heroics, but I'm starting to appreciate being forced to try out new teams. Jeanbuster, Fistbuster and Charlie's Angels ad infinitum would have me quitting before the week was out.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I like how Heroics give me a reason to use weaker characters and have a fresh experience.

For example, this time I used Psylocke a lot - a character I don't value at all but she was fun enough to use for a day. R&G, Luke Cage, and Deadpool make for an interesting team that I wouldn't normally use but they have a cool interplay between them and cover all colours while having three passives that all boost their durability. Not a bad team, actually though Whales being the only AoE and Uppercut being the only really powerful nuke (and both are super costly with no acceleration) mean that they still won't be a team I see myself using much outside of this event.
  • Really? Heroics are so much nicer than they used to be. Early heroics were rough. I'm talking about back in the day when you had a limited roster and only one featured character being buffed. Now, everyone available is buffed, and they no longer use Heroics for new character releases. (I don't remember which character they released via a Heroic, but it was awful.)

I think it can be fun to be limited in your character choices. You have to actually think about who you are going to use, and it's the perfect opportunity to figure out new combos.

I do agree on new characters though. With 4* being the new release meta now, it's more frustrating than ever when it comes to getting covers, much less actually playing with them. I always try to get at least one cover, so I don't get locked out of nodes, but at this point, I have about 5 4* that I'm actively trying to level and everyone else is just kind of... there.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Trying to take on Carnage and two muscles with a limited roster is just laughable.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Trying to take on Carnage and two muscles with a limited roster is just laughable.
    Here I agree. Especially since the limitation is rather severe this time unless you have Iceman and 4Clops. But OTOH you could get the 25CP award from the two first subs so at least they are very generous with points.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here I agree. Especially since the limitation is rather severe this time unless you have Iceman and 4Clops. But OTOH you could get the 25CP award from the two first subs so at least they are very generous with points.
    It's interesting that 3* Spider-man keeps popping up whenever Carnage is in the house. He was boosted in both runs of Venombomb, and now he's a reinforcement in the last sub. It's almost as if the devs know you need some sort of stun to make Carnage a little more bearable... I usually prefer Daredevil though.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Seriously, why are you guys complaining about Heroics?
    They LET you play with nice selection of characters, they FORCE everybody to play with same characters.
    That is good thing !

In normal PVE, I can play only with maybe 5 characters OVER and OVER AGAIN, because of insane scaling! I also have all characters, but I almost cannot use any 3* now. (I have them all.)
    And top 10 in always using winfinte.

What can I say?

We need more heroics!
    Or atleast, we dont want less heroics!
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster wrote:
    It's interesting that 3* Spider-man keeps popping up whenever Carnage is in the house. He was boosted in both runs of Venombomb, and now he's a reinforcement in the last sub. It's almost as if the devs know you need some sort of stun to make Carnage a little more bearable... I usually prefer Daredevil though.

This is actually a very interesting point. The only way to manage carnage is with stuns and AP to turns stunned means Spidey has the best in the game for sub 4* players.

Teaming QS with Spidey works great for carnage you have cheap abilities that you can trigger whilst keeping Carnage stun locked. Add DP for his cheap red that can take up to 65% current health off and you can take carnage down pretty quick. Getting through those high HP goons and crazy threaten tiles on the other hand is quite the challenge.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    QS/OBW with Groot or X-23 (in that last essential node) got me through those Carnage and goon nodes pretty quick, with OBW only going down once in one of those fights. Her heal plus countdown delay worked great on the goons and Quicksilver's green fired off fast enough, plus the Supersonics, to take Carnage out quick.

Spidey/Patch/Deadpool for the Odd Trio node worked really well too, surprisingly. This is actually the most I've ever used Deadpool beyond the occasional whale in gauntlet. I may actually go back and champion him now.

And I don't think its actually the loss of a Winfinite (of any kind) that make people hate the Heroics, or at least not all of it. I think its because the loss of a deep roster hurts the end of sub grind. Without a series of teams you can use, you have to burn up your health packs on the few team combos you do have, instead of rotating many combos, including what may be your go to true healers. Its much harder to grind down to the 1 point in a node on Heroics, which leads to frustration. So people used to getting top 20 or Top 10 can't get there with their usual tactics. (I'm not knocking the grinding to 1 pt strategy either. Its not for me personally, but I can't fault someone getting to the top by putting in the extra time and effort.)

So while I like the Heroics, I understand why people just avoid them. (I don't understand why some act like they're forced to play it and then go nuts about it on the forums tho...)
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do prefer to use my full roster in PVE because o mainly play for the ISO, HP and CP. that being said the he last 2 Heroics have not been that bad. This one I was able to use cyclops and try him out on trivial nodes (he is at level 70) and I am able to see why he is top tier. I have now gotten to the point where I primarily use 4* in PVP so in Heroics I can use the buffed 3* characters instead. The only thing I wish Heroics would do is get rid of the 3-4 nodes you have to clear just to enter the sub. Every other event it is one node to enter and then the 9 missions. The extra 3 battles can become a real HEalth pack drain.