Why would you ever buy a 40 pack?

Comments

• kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    I need to finish off my hulkbuster. he is 5/3/1... Are the bonus odds on the featured draw 10x/ and 40x worth it to even consider?

I'm desperate but not that desperate. I'd only do it if I had a decent shot at managing a couple covers, and I'd also only do it if I joined a buyers club. How stupid is that? It only makes sense to spend any cash on this game if you heard up with other morons who are also whiling to do the same.

I'm thinking I would have to get really lucky to end up with even pulling 2 of his covers out of 40, even then... The fact that my red is maxed would make this even tougher to do, considering even if I do get a hulkbuster, the odds are 1/3 its red. How much am I going to hate life if i pull 2 red covers...?

I hate this game.... I just barely missed my chance to whale up jean and hulkbuster before the 2500 gold per cover change due to not having all colors. I can't reconcile how different things would have been if the change came a month later, and I'm now contemplating how I can spend hundreds just to get back up to where I thought I'd be at this time this year..
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    kalex716 wrote:
    I need to finish off my hulkbuster. he is 5/3/1... Are the bonus odds on the featured draw 10x/ and 40x worth it to even consider?

If you managed to get 5 red solely from random token covers or rewards, you should count your blessing. icon_cool.gif Unless you're a super super duper whale blowing five to six figures in this game, I think your focus should be on accumulating cps via placement and pve grind of nodes (which HAS become much easier w/ the 20 iso kill now). Save up to buy the covers at 120 cps each. You only need 4 more. If you get lucky with another token draw, then all the better. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    20three wrote:
    Unless I'm deliriously tired and can't seem to math right now, it doesn't add up.

The daily sale prices heroic tokens at 100 hp, times that by 40 and you get 4000. That is a third the cost of a 40 pack. So unless you are an impatient fool and can't wait 40 days, why would you ever buy a 40 pack? It's not even like the odds are significantly better as it claims on the bottom, an extra .1% for 3 stars vs 2? WOW! The legendary token it comes with is not worth about 7000 hp to be honest, I just don't get it.

i did a 40 pack for 10k back i think in NOV.. never again

i think i got 1 4 star out of all of it and 3 3 stars
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I won't get a 40 pack unless I have so much hp that it won't make a dent. And all of my 3s, 2s and many of my 4s are championed so that all tokens are useful.

Because I'm sure I would mostly just win 2* tokens, and it's not worth it if I'm just selling them for 250 ISO.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    20three wrote:
    Unless I'm deliriously tired and can't seem to math right now, it doesn't add up.

The daily sale prices heroic tokens at 100 hp, times that by 40 and you get 4000. That is a third the cost of a 40 pack. So unless you are an impatient fool and can't wait 40 days, why would you ever buy a 40 pack? It's not even like the odds are significantly better as it claims on the bottom, an extra .1% for 3 stars vs 2? WOW! The legendary token it comes with is not worth about 7000 hp to be honest, I just don't get it.

I would not buy a heroic 40 pack, because 99% is going to contain characters I've already maxed (before champing... after champing it might not be as bad, assuming you have the ISO to champ all those covers you are recovering). Where you see the value is in places like the Nova event where a 40 pack is going to contain 3+ Nova covers, while buying 40 individual tokens will net you closer to 1 Nova cover.

You get the LT and more of the only covers that you need when you buy a 4* PvP 40 pack.
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    In the 2nd anniversary event I bought two 40pks of the original Galactus Hungers coverpacks for the chance at the 4* Cyclops... It paid off even with the increased price tag over the normal off season heroic.. It definitely works out that way if you want to spend $ on the game.. In other off-seasons past, I have gotten one of the 10,000hp cover packs and only once didn't get at least 1 4*.

I would buy a 40 pack if I had the extra money to burn (at the end of the day it's basically gambling). Couldn't imagine spending 10s of thousands of dollars on this game tho.

imcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngBling! imcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.pngimcoin.png
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Why would anyone ever by a 40 pack? Simple:

veruca.jpg
  • VA5
    VA5 Posts: 66
    Too many hero points and an itch to hit the button.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because it's the quickest way to try and whale a new 4* when their pvp comes around. Yes, it is high variance but there's nobeeal other way to jump start a 4* now that covers for a 4* coat the equivalent of 6 legendaries.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    There's buyers clubs every other day and you have to do something with all that useless HP. icon_e_wink.gif
    Whales have gone crazy since 5stars were introduced and turned super crazy when champs were added.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Is it worth it to buy a 10 or 42 pack from the Valentine's Day Vault?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Is it worth it to buy a 10 or 42 pack from the Valentine's Day Vault?
    What do you hope to get in the vault?
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    If you can pull 4 or 5 needed covers between Cyc and Deadpool, I would consider it...

Anything less and its too poopy.
  • TLCstormz
    My kids pulled a 4pool AND a 4yke today, so that was all that I wanted.

Now I am tempted to reset it.

( I don't have any useable 4*s, so everything is fair game, but I do have 25k HP that's been collecting dust for months, now........ )
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    fmftint wrote:
    do you get a token_legendary.png buying 40 singles?

didn't think so

Already acknowledged that in the first post. If you're foolish enough to pay 7000 HP for a possibility that could end up giving you an invisible woman cover, then by all means go right ahead.
  • TLCstormz
    I did daily deals for the first few days. Ended up getting a 4pool AND a 4clops.

Reset the vault last day.

Bought a 40 pack.

I got :

1,000HP
    Invisible Bag Lady
    4clops Red
    1,000 HP
    Mr. Bagtabulous
    5 Command Points
    4clops Red
    13 3*s
    20 2*s

Sooooooooo, literally, half of the pulls were gold. Never done a 40 pack before, but I already KNOW that my luck was very good, here..........right? lol
  • TLCstormz wrote:
    I did daily deals for the first few days. Ended up getting a 4pool AND a 4clops.

Reset the vault last day.

Bought a 40 pack.

I got :

1,000HP
    Invisible Bag Lady
    4clops Red
    1,000 HP
    Mr. Bagtabulous
    5 Command Points
    4clops Red
    13 3*s
    20 2*s

Sooooooooo, literally, half of the pulls were gold. Never done a 40 pack before, but I already KNOW that my luck was very good, here..........right? lol

Out of curiosity why would you count the 1000 HP as a "Positive" pull?

Didn't you spend way more then that to get this pack?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:

It's not just ISO, so I'd count it as a positive too.
  • TLCstormz
    Recouping SOME of what I spent on the 40 is, indeed, a positive.

For me, at least.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:

the other most likely outcome was a 2* or 3* covers. what would you rather have? a roster slot or a 2*/3* cover? I'd prefer the roster slot (or shields or health packs or boosts or whatever you spend your hp on).