1000 in PvP? Never again

2»

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyway here's how the Nova PvP ended for me.

I managed to sneak three wins between shielding to bring myself up to 891 points. After burning iso thanks to seeing teams with 350 Surfers, OMLs, Icemans and 4* Cyclops (no need to mention Jeanbusters eh) i finally manage to line up three beatable opponents. I'm wondering if i can somehow still hit 1000, but realistically i can probably only get the token at 900. So with 10 mins to go i unshield and hit the first of those opponents. 912 points! Token! I hit the second opponent. I come out of it: here's 33 points to your total of 860! Yup...got hit.

Anyway my #1 spot was assured thanks to the person in 2nd having 537 points. I was keeping track of the rest of the top 10; someone managed to reach 572, but when i checked a few hours later he was down to the low 500s. He finished 6th with 500 points.

I finished with 729 points, still way ahead of the aforementioned 2nd placer. Opened the event token...and got Nova black! Makes up for missing the 1000 point Nova yellow i guess.

So...Nova and Hulkbuster covers. Not the worst rewards for what, for me, has been the most stressful PvP thus far
    So you started PVP with over 24hrs to go and got a bracket where second had 537 points?
    So it wasn't a late bracket snipe?
    Don't complain about PVP ever again.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    I'm not complaining about finishing first in my bracket. I'm complaining about being unable to reach 1000 points. Read the thread title and OP again.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but as several other people have pointed out to you here, you have some terrible PvP habits that are stopping you from reaching 1000 points.

Shield hopping doesn't entail unshielding and sitting out unshielded way above your equilibrium point for an hour or so, playing match and after match, hoping you won't get hit. You need to take advantage of the fact that you're temporarily off everyone's queues when you're shielded and limit your shield hops to 5-6 minutes, tops, then reshield and protect those points. Rinse and repeat in a couple of hours. Protect those points, don't hang them out there for other people to grab. If I see you out there as a target with a soft team, I'll do you the courtesy of cycling through my old targets first, which will give you that 6 minutes or so, but I will hit you after that, because I'm going to assume that you've shielded up. And no, I don't use Line to shield check or coordinate hops.

Secondly, unshielding with 10 minutes to go in first place in a veteran bracket is a quick way to a long fall. The fact that you're sitting in low scoring brackets is protecting you from losing that position. With your sort of roster, you should be trying to hit 1K 9-10 or 6-7 hours out from the end of the event, not 24 hours out, and certainly not in the last hour or so.

On a more contemplative note, I wonder if your inability to hit 1K is keeping you in low scoring brackets, which allowing you to place competitively? If so, there's an upside.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Bowgentle wrote:
    So you started PVP with over 24hrs to go and got a bracket where second had 537 points?
    Agreed, that's completely bonkers! OP is sitting in noob brackets with 4* transition roster - crazy!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I was able to get first place with several hundred points to go to second place I probably wouldn't bother with the 1000 point progression either. These days I usually get top 25 with 1300 points... It works for getting my covers.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    Agreed, that's completely bonkers! OP is sitting in noob brackets with 4* transition roster - crazy!

And whinging about it!!!!!! Seriously I hope you join a real bracket next season and realise how lucky you were here.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    morph3us wrote:
    I'm not complaining about finishing first in my bracket. I'm complaining about being unable to reach 1000 points. Read the thread title and OP again.

On a more contemplative note, I wonder if your inability to hit 1K is keeping you in low scoring brackets, which allowing you to place competitively? If so, there's an upside.

This. With what you are describing you are getting the same number of 4* covers as everyone else that hits 1k (and not 1.3k). You are just getting a different color one event earlier. In the end you are progressing the same way. Now, what slice are you running. I may want in on this icon_e_smile.gif
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    morph3us wrote:

This. With what you are describing you are getting the same number of 4* covers as everyone else that hits 1k (and not 1.3k). You are just getting a different color one event earlier. In the end you are progressing the same way. Now, what slice are you running. I may want in on this icon_e_smile.gif
    I can't get to 1000 (I could, but haven't yet tried fully) and have a roster similar to the OP yet I'm not in the noob brackets. He is, through some kind of a glitch probably, getting a free ride (while robbing noobs of prizes).