1000 in PvP? Never again

BlackBoltRocks
BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So i decided to try for the Nova yellow cover in the current PvP. I've never had a serious go at 1000 points before, and after this I don't think i ever will.

Went to 700 points (including one hit) and shielded for 8 hours. After those 8 hours, which was an hour ago, i went about trying to get more points before a next shield. Hit 800 - even went as high as 840 at one point - but got hit like nobody's business. Usually I'm fine if i get hit, but one particular player (no names here) kept hitting me like there was no tomorrow. Worse, i had no means to retaliate. Dear player, i know you were on 900+ points, but some etiquette please?

Had another incident with another player, although I'll give us the benefit of the doubt and say we were baking cupcakes for each other, because we kept defeating each other with very manageable teams.

So now as I'm typing this, I'm still being attacked. I'm back to the early 700s; have given up hope of that Nova cover. Waiting to put up a Cosmic Shield in a few hours'; hopefully that will keep me in contention for the 1st place Hulkbuster cover.

Aim for 1000 in PvP? Spending my day worrying about shielding, wasting HP on shields and iso on skipping? Nah i won't be doing that anymore. I'll just return to my usual approach to PvP: enter in the last hour and aim for 600+

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Went to 700 points (including one hit) and shielded for 8 hours. After those 8 hours, which was an hour ago, i went about trying to get more points before a next shield. Hit 800 - even went as high as 840 at one point - but got hit like nobody's business.
    Because you were out way too long with a weak team. You can get to 1000, just not like this.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Went to 700 points (including one hit) and shielded for 8 hours. After those 8 hours, which was an hour ago, i went about trying to get more points before a next shield. Hit 800 - even went as high as 840 at one point - but got hit like nobody's business.
    Because you were out way too long with a weak team. You can get to 1000, just not like this.

Well that was my best team, outside of poorly-covered 5*. Guess the bridge is still too far for now
    No it's not. Don't focus on the "weak team" part of what I said, focus on the "you were out way too long" part.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    I don't get to 1000 all the time... mostly because I don't choose to use the HP.

But you went about this all wrong. I think if you do a little research into shield hopping here on the forum you will pick up the basics. You can't use a shield at 700 then stay out all the way up to 850. If you can't stick around at 700 then you will get destroyed when you get up to around 800. At the most you should have queued 3 good targets and immediately re-shielded.

I'm also not sure how you can be mad at someone for hitting you while you are sitting unshielded for an extended period of time. What are they supposed to do? waste their iso skipping you because you don't understand shielding? Don't blame other people - fix your own play.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:

Well that was my best team, outside of poorly-covered 5*. Guess the bridge is still too far for now

And to OJSP: well I've gotten great brackets the last two PvPs. I got IW with 653 points, and Nova with 700 points
    If you took first with 650 and 700 you probably graduated out of your starter brackets and have to play with the big boys now.
    Congratulations, your days of t10 are over until you have a couple of maxed 4*s.

Edit:
    Looking at your roster, you shouldn't have been in newbie brackets. Odd.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Looking at your roster, you shouldn't have been in newbie brackets. Odd.

I have a theory that some people have gotten stuck in newbie brackets forever no matter how well they do. I have a RL Friend who constantly wins/t5 his pvp brackets with scores of like 500. It's crazy, and also kind of makes me want to break something lol.

I have heard of other experiences like that from Alliance mates over the years. Can't explain it.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    I think the OP typically joins late and grinds. Explains the first place finishes at those point totals.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the OP typically joins late and grinds. Explains the first place finishes at those point totals.

That would be my guess too as it is what I do. Join with about 90 minutes left and climb to about 800 points and hope I don't get hit. I'm having about a 75-80% success rate and newer brackets and top 10 finishes.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    You are trying to get 1000 way too early. Try with 8hrs or less to go and you can usually cruise there depending on your shard and team.
  • Had another incident with another player, although I'll give us the benefit of the doubt and say we were baking cupcakes for each other, because we kept defeating each other with very manageable teams.
    pzv5j7l.jpg
  • I know what you mean. PvP has become frustrating as hell. I was also trying to get 1000 in the Nova PvP. I had shielded at just under 900 points. Here is the top 10 of the slice: http://i.imgur.com/VuuAZcO.png. Decided to do a hop with 9 hours left. Queued up three 40+ point matches. First match gave me 17 points. During that match, I lose 60 points. Tried to quickly earn some back in the hopes of getting back to 900 to attempt later with another hop. Finish those two and manage to get close to where I started. One of my attackers? This http://i.imgur.com/zPI3x5K.jpg.

What the hell am I supposed to do against that? Why am I even on that player's radar? Here is my roster: http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Ajandurah/ I have one 4-star at a decent level (FemThor at 168.) Why do I get 17 points when I refreshed the node and saw that match at 40+ points? How does D3 expect anyone not a mega whale to place decently in any PvP match? I have dropped a good chunk of change at this game to support the devs and things like this make me want to cut my losses and uninstall.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ajandurah wrote:
    I know what you mean. PvP has become frustrating as hell. I was also trying to get 1000 in the Nova PvP. I had shielded at just under 900 points. Here is the top 10 of the slice: http://i.imgur.com/VuuAZcO.png. Decided to do a hop with 9 hours left. Queued up three 40+ point matches. First match gave me 17 points. During that match, I lose 60 points. Tried to quickly earn some back in the hopes of getting back to 900 to attempt later with another hop. Finish those two and manage to get close to where I started. One of my attackers? This http://i.imgur.com/zPI3x5K.jpg.

What the hell am I supposed to do against that? Why am I even on that player's radar? Here is my roster: http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Ajandurah/ I have one 4-star at a decent level (FemThor at 168.) Why do I get 17 points when I refreshed the node and saw that match at 40+ points? How does D3 expect anyone not a mega whale to place decently in any PvP match? I have dropped a good chunk of change at this game to support the devs and things like this make me want to cut my losses and uninstall.

My first point of advice to you would be that you don't have a strong enough roster to do hops of more than two matches. Assuming that you can get to 900 points each time, take into account that you'll need an 8hr and a 3 hr shield to hit that 1000.

Second point: pick another time slice. I'm a slice 1 player myself, and it has a lot of 4-5* transition players, up to a point where in most brackets you need about 2000 points to hit top 10. It's not a friendly slice for a 3-4* transitioner.

Also, when looking at your roster, I recommend that you max out Patch, Grocket and try and work on leveling Hulkbuster. HB needs some more black covers to become truly efficient, but that 5 red already packs a punch. Grocket is a really solid 3* who is really useful when buffed, since he can generate some big strikes and his healing is very good at keeping him in the fight. Patch is arguably the most important of the 3, since although Hulk-bombing (using Wolvie's green to generate strikes yourself, but also for the enemy team, so they help Hulk get real Angry, which generates more green for more strike tiles... etc, etc) isn't as powerful as it used to be, it's still one of the faster hop teams for a 3* player. And since you'll only do 2 matches per hop anyway, the health pack cost is manageable.
  • ScrubJay
    ScrubJay Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I have long given up on hitting 1000. Despite seeing dozens of people at the 3* level in the event rank list unshielded I only find the same 2 or 3 JeanBuster teams after 600 points. Maybe the MMR changes will open things up but considering I have all 4 5*(in unusable state) and 3 cover maxed low tier 4*s I doubt it.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really wish there was like some indicator over a persons name when attacking to see their point milestones or something.

Like maybe their named turned gold or something when they hit 1K in an event. (2k in sim)
    So you could focus more on people who already hit 1K after some time.
    Like I don't mind being a point free for all once I've hit where i wanted.

As rosters grow, hitting 1K won't be just having a mildly leveled 3 star team anymore. Most of them weren't designed to handle some of those top 4 stars well. The ceilings getting higher, and the 3 star is STILL at 800.
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    ScrubJay wrote:
    I have long given up on hitting 1000. Despite seeing dozens of people at the 3* level in the event rank list unshielded I only find the same 2 or 3 JeanBuster teams after 600 points. Maybe the MMR changes will open things up but considering I have all 4 5*(in unusable state) and 3 cover maxed low tier 4*s I doubt it.

The MMR doesn't look at covers currently. It looks at level of the roster, and since your top few guys are all level 255, you will most definitely be matched against slightly more difficult opponents at level 270 rather than easy opponents at 166. You've got 3 choices now. 1)Sell the useless 5* to normalize your MMR, which many have done. 2)Suck it up till your 5* gets enough covers to be useful. 3)Pray that the MMR changes are to your advantage, and gets implemented soon.
  • I really am not a fan of this sheild-hopping sillyness.

I mean I know that's what it supposedly takes to do it but man. No single 4* cover is worth a few hundred HP to me. Not yet, at least.

So until then, just get to 800, get my one cover and 100HP, see if my ranking is anywhere close to getting a good bounty from it, and only then consider a shield if a 3 hour one will last until the end of the slice, and never anything more.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    colwag wrote:
    I really am not a fan of this sheild-hopping sillyness.

I mean I know that's what it supposedly takes to do it but man. No single 4* cover is worth a few hundred HP to me. Not yet, at least.

So until then, just get to 800, get my one cover and 100HP, see if my ranking is anywhere close to getting a good bounty from it, and only then consider a shield if a 3 hour one will last until the end of the slice, and never anything more.

There's certainly milestone points where you can hit 1000k without using any shields. It used to be 3-4 seasoks ago you could do it using buffed maxed 3*s, but I dont know if thats true/as easily attainable as before.
  • cyineedsn wrote:
    colwag wrote:
    I really am not a fan of this sheild-hopping sillyness.

There's certainly milestone points where you can hit 1000k without using any shields. It used to be 3-4 seasoks ago you could do it using buffed maxed 3*s, but I dont know if thats true/as easily attainable as before.

The hope that I can maybe, but probably can't, do that is why I am tempted to drop 60CP to max out my Iron Fist and hope that he and Cage can make that sort of push, especially when boosted.

But I have my doubts. As more players get more 4*s and level up, those pushes are going to get harder and harder over time.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got screeewwwwwwed in this tonight.
    I went from about 550 upwards to see if I could hit 1000. I got to about 950 without being hit much and felt pretty good. All I could see were Jeanbusters, of course, but I had a go anyway and won!

So the game added the 70 points I'd won onto the 736 points I had, giving me a Nov-....wait, 736?

Yup, I got his for 218 points while I was fighting. So I just shielded and gave up, because that's gonna just keep happening.
    Kicking myself for not just shielding at 950.
  • I've had my weirdest experience ever for the Nova event. Joined as soon as the event went live, waited until there was 22 hours left, then pushed up with a maxed Groot and Patch from 200 I reached 800 and expected the attacks to start coming in as usual... nothing... so pushed to 1000 (yay Nova!)... nothing... so pushed to 1200... nothing?!?!?!... then managed to get to 1300 and get my 25 cp before receiving a single attack!!! Shielded for Top 25, and had about 8 attacks come through right after I shielded.

Also the joy of those two is I only used about 3 health packs, while taking on Jean Busters.

Last of all, I haven't seen a 1st place for less than 2000 points in about a year now. 700 points would be a dream
  • Aim for 1000 in PvP? Spending my day worrying about shielding, wasting HP on shields and iso on skipping? Nah i won't be doing that anymore. I'll just return to my usual approach to PvP: enter in the last hour and aim for 600+
    I was able to get up to 1600 points, using Lvl 255 Old Man Logan 0/1/0, 166 Lvl Daredevil (5/5/3) and 166 Lvl Steve Rogers (3/5/5). Currently @ 1441, never bother with shielding. It's not too hard. If you get an unbeatable opponent, play against them with your lowest level players just to get them out of your queue. You'll lose a few points, but at least you'll get some opponents you can beat again.