Prologue nodes now lock out?

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have heard rumors of prologue bots, a slow grind for ISO....would maybe be difficult to determine if this is cheating or not. I could see them getting rid of prologue for that reason.

There are easy nodes in almost every PVE (which are almost always running) - a good place to save your game, let kids play, try out new combinations or weak characters, align your LR characters and boosts (that's what I used them for), or whatever. The ISO increased should almost make up for any legitimate 20-iso grinds.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Then start an account just for them and they can play it without consequence to yours...

And then they wouldn't have access to a full roster that contains many of their favorite comic/cartoon characters. Plus, on most phones and tablets multiple accounts are a pain to set up.

But more importantly, why the hell should we when there are zero detrimental effects to other players or the game in general when the rewardless prologue nodes are left open?

I have a daughter who always wants to play with Squirrel Girl... Am I supposed to start a new account, and keep playing on that until I get a Squirrel Girl cover for her to use?

If you love your daughter enough, you will. You only need one cover.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is what I thought of when people said parents letting their kids play their game were using them for iso farming... lol.

ynyn4.jpg
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    I think the most reasonable solution is to leave them unlocked once all rewards are earned - granting no new rewards (not even 20 ISO)

I recently let my nephew play (mis-timed shield hop, so battling at the in-laws... with death glares from the wife... whoops). He was intrigued by the game, so as others have said, I let him play with my entire roster without "risk" by mucking about in the prologue.

Kind of cool to watch him mess around, he was obsessed with Doc Oc (even though I haven't leveled him), I kept trying to get him to use HulkBuster since he was my only 270 - but nope, he wanted Doc Oc. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Then start an account just for them and they can play it without consequence to yours...

My son has issues with both minor and gross motor control and his physical therapist has recommended games like Minecraft and match 3 games (learning through fun), now he loves his Marvel Cinematic Universe and Hulk in particular. Is it possible to have multiple accounts on a single device especially when 1 person doesn't have a Facebook account? I know by now people will be screaming to download MPQ directly onto my sons own tablet but there is a small problem with that, he owns a Kindle Fire and for some reason D3 Go! don't seem to like the Amazon app store.

Yes some may be using bots to farm ISO but there are also some of us who have genuine reasons to want to have Prologue nodes to be left unlocked after completion and seeing a 6 year old with learning difficulties mess about with his favourite characters is reason enough for me.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    This thread makes it easy to see which members have children, and which ones are children.
  • Linkster79
    jobob wrote:
    This thread makes it easy to see which members have children, and which ones are children.

My wife would confirm this if she ever posted here that I am the world's biggest child. A fact she reminds me of every time she has to get under our Star Wars duvet cover.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Sorry friends. I just don't see the fulfillment in people dumping their cares and stresses upon others on the internet for no reason.

Personally, I have a class of Autistic kids who enjoy MPQ on Thursdays and Fridays. I love my kids, but they ARE NOT getting in on my PvEs or PvPs. lol
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2016
    Prologue healing is clearly something the devs hate (because it reduces the pressure to use healthkits) and is likely to main motivation for this change.

And I did prologue heal a bit every now and then to extend the life of soneone like xfw that has an unreliable healing ability. So guilty as charged there. But I don't think it makes much of a difference competitively. In circumstances where I would actually feel a lot of pressure to buy health (PvP hops and end of sub pve grinds), prologue healing is too slow anyway. There was very little competitive advantage.

And the prologue nodes were also useful in other ways. Want to know if a pair of characters work well together? Load up a prologue node and find out. Currently, I have a 4* and a 3* that both show a max match strength of 79. If I want to find out which one will tank, i now have to go into a live node to find out. That sucks.

And yes, pve's generally do have low level nodes. But if i use those I will be grinding sub-optimally. So experimentation now requires me to sacrifice score in pve? That sucks too. Also, pve nodes could lock out too for all we know.

This is a very significant change that has been pushed out under the headline of a much requested change to the 20 iso nodes. It's a Friday-night-news-dump tactic.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    It kind of reminds me of corrupt-a-wish, or the evil genie.

What is the one thing that you want most, players?

Get rid of 20 iso!

DONE! But now you can never repeat the prologue nodes once you've finished them, and once you get all the rewards in PVE, you get nothing!

I mean... again, it's a great change on the whole, but I don't see why they had to make it have a downside.

Maybe it was a technical limitation? Maybe they're just not very good at predicting the impact of their changes?
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Hi everyone,

I've passed along your feedback from this and other threads regarding the prologue locking topic to the dev team. I can't guarantee a change will be implemented, but we'll absolutely take the discussions into consideration. Thanks for providing your thoughts and examples of how you use the prologue beyond the game's opening stages.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi everyone,

I've passed along your feedback from this and other threads regarding the prologue locking topic to the dev team. I can't guarantee a change will be implemented, but we'll absolutely take the discussions into consideration. Thanks for providing your thoughts and examples of how you use the prologue beyond the game's opening stages.
    Thanks, David. I am glad this change was implemented after being a long-standing complaint, and was particularly happy to see the change replacing legendary token event rewards with command points. That suggestion was raised here not long ago, and was implemented quickly. I hope the suggestions in this thread will receive similar attention.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi everyone,

Could you please explain the problem the dev team was trying to fix? What was the motivation for locking players out, especially considering ISO rewarded would be zero once finished? Is it healing? Is it technical issues like server loads? Please, communicate. If we understood exactly what you thought was wrong, it would clearly improve the quality and direction of player feedback.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi everyone,

Many thanks, Dave.

I for one would be fine even with no rewards past the first 7 as long as we could play them.

As many others have pointed out, the prologue missions serve a purpose for some people even outside of the game. I am among those who enjoy sharing it with their young children... My 5 year-old daughter has been doing prologue missions since she was 3. We practiced her colors, shapes, counting, numbers... All while sharing something we both enjoyed (and still do) and it was fun explaining all the heroes to her and watching her pick out her team each time. I couldn't care less about the 20 ISO... I would be sad if it went away for entirely different reasons.

Thanks again!
  • Linkster79
    firethorne wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi everyone,

Could you please explain the problem the dev team was trying to fix? What was the motivation for locking players out, especially considering ISO rewarded would be zero once finished? Is it healing? Is it technical issues like server loads? Please, communicate. If we understood exactly what you thought was wrong, it would clearly improve the quality and direction of player feedback.

Can I second this?

If it was a technical issue or wanting to cut down on ways true healers can be used then please let us know.

I want to say that even you posting (David) in acknowledgement of this is great even if you can't promise anything, it's let's us know your organisation is interested in our feedback. Over the last 2 weeks there have been more posts and information by admins than in the last 3 months combined. I can't speak for everybody else but to me this is a positive and good change.

Edit: I really appreciate the increase in number of awards each node has, and the distinct lack of 20 ISO awards so please don't feel I am ungrateful or complaining but how about adding "Chapter 1" next one to the Prologue and placing say 2 or 3 of the older story events in there? Same deal 7 awards per node but leave them unlocked even not giving any awards after all 7 have been claimed.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Anyone happen to do the math on how much iso was added to the prologue? Seeing if it's worth busting an hour or so on it before gauntlet.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Close to 10k. The final nodes of the last three sections give 5k, 1k, and 750 by themselves. I pulled those out asap and will go through claiming the various 100 and 140 rewards when I have more time.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    The total is just over 15,000 ISO in new rewards. The bulk of it is from the "boss" nodes, but those 70 and 140 lots add up.

I second the idea of taking a few of the early PVEs permanently out of rotation and adding them as an always-replayable "Chapter 1".
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Der_Lex wrote:
    wirius wrote:
    Good. It was a development oversite on the devs part to have 20 iso. The whole point was to get people to NOT play after they unlocked the rewards, and was a poor way to extend the nodes life out when they first had very little content. It was not intended for people to farm with bots or "kids".

As someone who actually does have a small kid who plays this game and, unlike her older sister, isn't quite ready for anything beyond trivial nodes, I would kindly like to suggest that you and your quotation marks go tinykitty yourselves.

My apologies Der_Lex. I don't have kids and I am used to people over the internet making up "noble" reasons so they get to continue to do "nefarious" stuff. Really didn't mean to offend or knock your kid playing the game, I think its great. The two concerns I always had with prologue healing were:

Iso
    True healing without using health packs

Personally, I see those as issues for game health as a whole. Why don't you let your kids just play the easy pve nodes that day? Why do you need the prologue?

If your scaling is too high, why not just find an easy match 3 game that fits her age group? She might really like one of the easier super colorful ones. I just don't see this one issue with a handful of users letting their kids play the game as needing to disrupt a great fix to the prologue issues we've had for years.
  • @wirius

I think it's more of a problem of "it wasn't broken, so why fix it".

I don't have kids myself but I do have a lot of them in my immediate family who do actually play mpq from time to time on my phone when i'm around them because they know some of the characters or just like all the fancy colours and stuff.

And in all honesty, I don't think the true healing is an issue anyway, there's only a handful of characters who have it versus the many that do not. So I would not be inclined to believe that that was an issue in anyway.

At the end of it all, why should anyone have to move game because of something like that? I think if you were in a similar situation, you'd see it that way or at least understand it more.