Iso price in the store: Crazy expensive!

Polares
Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Well after some new threads about iso have surfaced, I thought there is still one other iso related thing it needs addressing, the price of iso in the store. I think it is obvious to everybody that iso is too damn expensive. So, I spend 100$ in iso and I can't max a 4? ****?!?! Well not just max him, we barely can level like 30-70 levels depending your current level. This is a joke. HP has always been expensive in this game, but at least with 100$ you were able to max a 4, which I think is the minimum you should get for 100$.

100$ should be 400k iso
50$ around 150k iso
20$ around 50k iso

Right now even if I want to buy iso I would not do it in a thousand years (and I would buy iso if it was not a rip off). NOBODY should buy Iso, NEVER, EVER until they change the amounts you get. I am firm believer that everybody should be able to do whatever he wants with his money, but the price of iso is so far from what it should be that I firmly think that anybody should ever buy it, so devs can see how far is. And any person that is buying iso right now is hurting everbody, himself included. It is like if somebody wanted to change a 100$ for a 20$, completely nuts!

And of course this change would help devs get more money, I doubt there is that much people buying iso right now, maybe just super mega whales...

PS: And yes, we should be able to win 30k iso everyday, and 20 iso should be at least 100 iso.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    its really odd that they're willing to sell multiple months' worth of earning hp for 100, but only a week's worth of iso for 100. yeah, you can be 1 week ahead!! for only $100!! no thanks.
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I must agree....I would buy iso if it were fair priced. For 100$ you shud at least be able to max a 3*, let alone a 4*.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    No exactly news that iso is wildly overpriced. it's more of a long-term price gouge.

This game has always been very aggressively monetized, but the price of iso is among the worst offense. And championing only makes it worse by increasing the incentive to level max everyone.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I must agree....I would buy iso if it were fair priced. For 100$ you shud at least be able to max a 3*, let alone a 4*.

For $100, I can buy two stand-alone PC games that never require me to pay more money. $100 in MPQ should allow you to max 10 3*s or 5 4*s AT LEAST.

The current pay structure is like charging $29.99 for 10 minutes of World of Warcraft.
  • zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    $100 is what you have to spend for a collector's edition, or a full game with a season pass.

Personally I think $100 should get you millions of ISO, not thousands.

Comparably, I think $10-$15 should get you as fully covered and leveled character.

Even at those prices it would cost you quite a bit to max everyone
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree, never buy iso8.png at these rates. The issue is that mega whales will and they create at least 50% of the revenue for the game, so......I think long-term though they will see that the average player who did spend $ on imcoin.png will not be spending it on iso8.png and they will eventually begin to lose revenue. My guess is that you will be able to buy commandpoints.png soon with $ to replace the lost revenue from imcoin.png .
  • Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    I am totally on board with what all of you are saying, I use to buy hp when I wanted to whale a char but I have always said to myself that I would NEVER buy iso at the current price. Now with champions it is way worse as you want to get your guys over the hump and start earning rewards. I have maxed out 8 chars that I was slowly building since champions and it depleted my iso stash. Even though I have built up a good chunk of iso, to get Black Panther from 120 to 166 and Gamora from 94 to 166 would still take 206,753 iso + 15,000 to champion them (I have two covers for each of them so I used them as the example) so if I spent my 145,758k and bought 78,000 for the absurd amount they are charging I would have 223,758 - minus the total cost to champ those TWO chars and I would be left with 2005 iso.....****!?!?! $100 should net at least 200k iso, as the guy above posted, people that buy iso at these prices are hurting the player base and themselves. What is worse though is that d3 can somehow justify this total ripoff....man with all of my ranting today I think I am about ready to walk away from this game....
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the folks saying you should get millions for $100 are being a little shortsighted - at that rate you could max an entire roster for what some people throw down in a week or two. The power inflation even at mid-level play would be nuts, and cash flow to the devs would stagnate because you could just max out your roster and then hoard up what you get from normal play for when new characters roll out.

250k for $100 would be reasonable, I think. That's a little over triple what it is now, and you could take a 4* from brand new to usable (assuming covers, obviously), which is enough to make a noticeable difference to your game.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    I think the folks saying you should get millions for $100 are being a little shortsighted - at that rate you could max an entire roster for what some people throw down in a week or two. The power inflation even at mid-level play would be nuts, and cash flow to the devs would stagnate because you could just max out your roster and then hoard up what you get from normal play for when new characters roll out.

250k for $100 would be reasonable, I think. That's a little over triple what it is now, and you could take a 4* from brand new to usable (assuming covers, obviously), which is enough to make a noticeable difference to your game.

I just want to step back and put something in context:

Your modest proposal (which I might add is significantly more player-friendly than the actual game) is that $100 (us) PLUS grinding out 10-13 covers for a 4* (which would cost thousands of dollars worth of command points) should get a player part-way through leveling a single 4* character (of which there will ultimately be something like 40 in the game).

Right now, I can purchase the entire game witcher 3, plus a season pass for less than $90 (us). That's 200+ hours of awesomeness. All of destiny now costs something like $45 and that is theoretically endless gaming in both pve or pvp.

So d3/demiurge has managed to create a game where The player is begging to be allowed to spend $100 plus a lot of work for part of 1/40th of one tier of the game.

The pricing model for this game is crazy.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Hmm, I thought the OP was Canadian complaining about the price INCREASE from $119 to $139.

But yeah, known issue, the disparity in "value' between ISO and hp is still not worth purchasing it.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:

I just want to step back and put something in context:

Your modest proposal (which I might add is significantly more player-friendly than the actual game) is that $100 (us) PLUS grinding out 10-13 covers for a 4* (which would cost thousands of dollars worth of command points) should get a player part-way through leveling a single 4* character (of which there will ultimately be something like 40 in the game).

Right now, I can purchase the entire game witcher 3, plus a season pass for less than $90 (us). That's 200+ hours of awesomeness. All of destiny now costs something like $45 and that is theoretically endless gaming in both pve or pvp.

So d3/demiurge has managed to create a game where The player is begging to be allowed to spend $100 plus a lot of work for part of 1/40th of one tier of the game.

The pricing model for this game is crazy.

I'm not suggesting that MPQ, or any other F2P game really, is a better value for the money than buying a full version of a PC game plus the season pass for DLC on Steam. I don't think anyone is laboring under that delusion.

I was just suggesting a change that would make an ISO purchase somewhat palatable that doesn't pose an immediate threat to the devs' bottom line. As I've said before, the goal of a F2P to make money. If you think you should get everything for the price of a PC game, you should just go buy a PC game, because it's never going to happen.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    DaveR4470 wrote:

For $100, I can buy two stand-alone PC games that never require me to pay more money. $100 in MPQ should allow you to max 10 3*s or 5 4*s AT LEAST.

Come now, sir, there are no longer any games that don't require you to pay money after purchase!
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    Its insanity.

Their revenue potential is embarrassingly under-realized.

They could be monetizing in a much more healthy way than they are. The value returned on expenditure is absolutely dismal in this game, and it makes very little sense to buy anything at all anymore. Whats worse, is they are only digging in further. The removal of gold for covers seemed like absolute suicide to me.

Even if Whales are your only source of income, they could still be monetizing the average user who has a healthier outlook on hobby spending in profoundly beneficial ways that doesn't detract from whaling.

Here is an example. A $4.99 package that returns a considerable chunk of gold and ISO, and a single LT cover pack, that can only be bought one time every 30 days. With a good price to value return ratio, this would be a MUST BUY to the average users and whales alike, but doesn't really slow down whaling at all.

You'd basically be making a "premium" subscription. Make it attractive enough so that if you play regularly, you'd be stupid not to re-up it every 30 days and PRESTO, you now just got 5 bucks out of a huge chunk of your user base while not stopping whales, cause they too, can only ever buy it once and STILL have to keep cracking 40 packs to fuel their CP fix so those 5 stars champed.

Easy. Peasy.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind wrote:
    I was just suggesting a change that would make an ISO purchase somewhat palatable that doesn't pose an immediate threat to the devs' bottom line. As I've said before, the goal of a F2P to make money. If you think you should get everything for the price of a PC game, you should just go buy a PC game, because it's never going to happen.

Their bottom line isn't helped by offering things that no reasonable person will buy. MPQ's problem is they can't decide what their progression gate is going to be, and therefore don't allocate accordingly. If roster slots/HP are going to be your pay gate, give away ISO with a firehose and charge a premium for HP. If ISO/leveling is going to be your gate, then give away roster slots like candy. MPQ currently gates you on both, and at wildly, wildly disproportionate levels. (AND there's a new gate too, that can't be purchased at all!) If I want to get one unit of the first gate -- roster spots -- I can get one for $20. If I want to get one unit of the other gate -- ISO/leveling -- I have to spend hundreds of dollars. That's fantastically out of whack. If they want to use two-element gating, then the "gets" for equivalent payments should be equivalent.

McDonald's doesn't charge $2 for a cheeseburger and $85.99 for a large fries. If they did, nobody would buy fries, ever, except (of course) for Japanese kids who want to take pictures of an entire table covered with french fries. (Side note: this is a real thing.) If someone said "hey, you should get like 55 large fries for $85.99", it would be silly to argue that this would be impacting McD's bottom line. Unless the consumer understands that it reasonably costs McD's $79.99 to make a large fries, or unless there's some sort of luxury premium on french fries that justifies the price, they'll value the fries at significantly less than the cost given the rough comparable of the $2 cheeseburger. In an open market, the substitution effect would apply, and consumers would substitute the non-equilibrium good with a lesser-cost or higher-value item until the price returned to equilibrium. In a closed environment like MPQ, consumers will just choose to not purchase. Either way, it's not in anyone's best interests to grossly overprice a consumer item.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Guys don't worry. You can get MORE THAN DOUBLE the iso for a Hidden Stash right now. That's right, for the low, low price of $20, you can get 8 levels on the 4* of your choice.

It's like they're giving it away! The deal is so good that they had to limit it to just one purchase per person!!!!!!
  • Polares
    Raffoon wrote:
    Guys don't worry. You can get MORE THAN DOUBLE the iso for a Hidden Stash right now. That's right, for the low, low price of $20, you can get 8 levels on the 4* of your choice.

It's like they're giving it away! The deal is so good that they had to limit it to just one purchase per person!!!!!!

Yeah quite funny that the day I open this thread they annunced a sale for double the iso icon_razz.gif (which I had a popup but it is not present in iOs)

Devs this should not be a sale, this needs to be the normal iso we get !!! (maybe even a little bit more)
  • It's really not a viable rate of iso, even with this 'sale'. I can earn more than that in a day, so I'm not going to pay £15 for it.

I can't earn 5000 hp in a month, so that is a LOT more tempting...
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    I don't know what you guys are complaining about. For the price of 7 triple-A games, you can buy enough ISO to almost max a single 4*.

That's a completely rational amount. Right? Bueller? Bueller?

Excuse me while I go find my diamond-encrusted dog. I named him Bueller.
  • Polares
    Raffoon wrote:
    I don't know what you guys are complaining about. For the price of 7 triple-A games, you can buy enough ISO to almost max a single 4*.

That's a completely rational amount. Right? Bueller? Bueller?

Excuse me while I go find my diamond-encrusted dog. I named him Bueller.

Yeah spending 400$ for maxing a 4 is completely reasonable... When you live in a house of 2000m2, with 10 servants, and have 2 ferraris icon_razz.gif

Devs, we are talking to you from planet earth!! Earth to devs!!! Change the iso to more reasonable prices!!! You would win so much money if prices were from this world and not from wherever you live... (probably this new world that has been 'discovered' a billion km away icon_razz.gif)
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    kalex716 wrote:
    Its insanity.

Their revenue potential is embarrassingly under-realized.

They could be monetizing in a much more healthy way than they are. The value returned on expenditure is absolutely dismal in this game, and it makes very little sense to buy anything at all anymore. Whats worse, is they are only digging in further. The removal of gold for covers seemed like absolute suicide to me.

Even if Whales are your only source of income, they could still be monetizing the average user who has a healthier outlook on hobby spending in profoundly beneficial ways that doesn't detract from whaling.

Here is an example. A $4.99 package that returns a considerable chunk of gold and ISO, and a single LT cover pack, that can only be bought one time every 30 days. With a good price to value return ratio, this would be a MUST BUY to the average users and whales alike, but doesn't really slow down whaling at all.

You'd basically be making a "premium" subscription. Make it attractive enough so that if you play regularly, you'd be stupid not to re-up it every 30 days and PRESTO, you now just got 5 bucks out of a huge chunk of your user base while not stopping whales, cause they too, can only ever buy it once and STILL have to keep cracking 40 packs to fuel their CP fix so those 5 stars champed.

Easy. Peasy.

This is an absolutely fantastic idea especially now they are releasing 4*s and 5*s regularly.

For £3.99/ $4.99 each month you can buy the monthly offer of D3GO Booster Pack - 20CP , 50,000 ISO and 1000 HP + 1CP to your alliance.

This is a very smart move because it is a way of almost getting a subscription without losing FTP players entirely. I for one would be super tempted each month to aid building my 4* roster and increasing my roster space. The 50k ISO would allow players to build a 3* team super quick but the progress into 4* land would still be low but not a standstill.

Having this as a monthly offer would leave them open to little backlash other than from the hardcore FTP peeps saying this is pay to win.