**** Spider-Gwen (Gwen Stacy) ****

Comments

• Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Question: Since Spider-Gwen comes from a universe where Peter Parker dies and Gwen Stacey lives; will you be able to have a team including both Spider-Gwen & Peter Parker?
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2016
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Question: Since Spider-Gwen comes from a universe where Peter Parker dies and Gwen Stacey lives; will you be able to have a team including both Spider-Gwen & Peter Parker?
    I'm think yes! Because they have different symbols of tiles icon_e_wink.gif
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Updated with the character reveal! Feel free to ask or comment if something looks off.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    She seems not so good. Her costume is so cool and I wanted her to be awesome.
  • San Narciso
    San Narciso Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    If you can spam the board with webs, that's some seriously cheap, huge damage
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Still my opinion (even though I haven't played extensively with him) that 1* Spidey is the best Spider-Man variant. The devs seem pretty intent on making all the Spidey characters as average as possible. I would even classify 5* Spider-Man as "good" but not "great."
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Feel free to ask or comment if something looks off.
    Heal true or Fake? icon_e_smile.gif
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the update cthulu!

I believe the icon is wrong... Based on the pictures revealed, gwen has her own icons isn't it?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    HB's red does 630 damage per AP; cyke does 540. Gwen does anywhere from 782 to 1565 per AP, and somehow she's "not so good".

Ok...
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will wait to play her but I agree with simonsez, she looks great. A great cheap stun that makes your nuke cheaper and a nuke that already starts with good damage/ap. I'm sold. Now, the discussion of what team to put her on is a good one to get started.
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    atomzed wrote:
    Thanks for the update cthulu!

I believe the icon is wrong... Based on the pictures revealed, gwen has her own icons isn't it?

Thank you, yes she does have her own icon, I just kept it as spider-mans for now because I'm having issues putting in icons. I will figure it out and revise this and the nova post.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Really solid character. Her red does good damage, and is cheap if you have enough web tiles out, and even though it's random, 2 turn stun for 2 chars for 6 AP is good too. Her yellow is pretty garbage, but hey, that's what a 553 build is for.

Plus I really love that character design. One of the best-looking costumes Marvel has come up with in recent years.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    The description of Cherry Bomb says "Spider-Woman explodes into the fray"... Shouldn't that be Spider-Gwen? Or is she like, Spider-Woman too?
  • Der_Lex
    Her in-universe name is Spider-Woman. Spider-Gwen is just a fan nickname that stuck, and her comic is probably named as such so people don't get confused between her and the Spider-Woman of the main Marvel continuity, Jessica Drew.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Initial impressions from on paper stats:

Purple:
    Decent. This skill is hard to judge because of it's random nature. It's great when there are two people left and below average with 3 or 1. The added value of web tiles isn't that high. Combined with SW this skill seems nuts once you knock out the one of the enemies. Through a 'normal' match this will provide excellent tempo as it's not all that difficult to pick up 6 AP and just shut down the enemy team for a bit after you've knocked one player out. Gamora has proved that her green is good for 12AP despite the weak damage. Halving that cost to get the same stun seems well worth it.

Red:
    Good. Impressive damage for what could potentially be a low cost skill. What I like about this skill is how the damage at 12 AP is still pretty acceptable. It doesn't feel like the old QS where everything was a ripoff until you optimized the AP cost. Easy 5 covers without question.

Yellow:
    Weak. The amount healed doesn't feel aggressive enough to make this skill appealing for it's cost. In a game that's all about offense over defense I think you could have gotten away with making this cost 6AP for the exact same benefit. At 8AP I feel as though the webbed tiles generated should have been increased to 4 for the 5th cover.

Initial Build:
    5/5/3
    5 red is a given and the 5th purple is too useful to give up. Trying to max out web tiles with a 3/5/5 build would no doubt work fine but that's giving up a lot of utility for a minor red AP savings. Stick with 5/5/3 IMO.

Overall:
    Low Tier. Gwen strikes me as a Nick Fury or worse level character in that she requires a lot of setup to play optimally. Her purple gives some amazing tempo advantage when played as normal part of the team but beyond that it's all about the long game to maximize her red. Saving up to 12 purple, 8 yellow and 13 red is asking a lot. By the time you get there you'll hopefully be facing a group of 2 opponents so a 4 turn stun and 18,000 should be enough to decide the match. Having just typed that out it wouldn't actually surprise me if Gwen proves to be better than I'm giving her credit for in time.

Personal Note: I'm really disappointed that her colours match Miles's. The most exciting prospect of having multiple web tile generators at the same tier of play was to see how amazing they might have been feeding off one another. Miles isn't exactly breaking the game so having the duo build each other up a la xDP/XF would have been perfect! You even had the perfect red skill on Gwen to make it happen. Even just making Kick Out the Jams a blue skill (since OBW shows that blue means temp healing) would make a world of difference.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    HB's red does 630 damage per AP; cyke does 540. Gwen does anywhere from 782 to 1565 per AP, and somehow she's "not so good".

Ok...

Her red has higher numbers, true. But her other two abilities are similar to Cyc's and HB's where they feed into a damaging red, except straight ap generation is so much better than a discounted cost. Comparing their kits as a whole, I like Cyc and HB much better. At least on paper.
  • Der_Lex
    She's not top 5 material by any means, but I don't think she's bottom tier either.

She could actually be interesting to team up in PvE with 3* Spidey. Use her purple to randomly stun two enemies and drop two webs, then use Spidey's blue to stun the last character and drop another web. That's 2 turns of full team stun for only 11 AP. Maybe combine them with SW to keep those purple and blue stuns coming while you start dropping those cheap red hits.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agreed. I'm not going to call her top tier, but when her nuke is better than a couple other top tier nukes, and you get a cheap stun, she looks pretty damn solid to me. The wasted yellow is what's going to relegate her to the next tier.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Der_Lex wrote:
    She's not top 5 material by any means, but I don't think she's bottom tier either.

She could actually be interesting to team up in PvE with 3* Spidey. Use her purple to randomly stun two enemies and drop two webs, then use Spidey's blue to stun the last character and drop another web. That's 2 turns of full team stun for only 11 AP. Maybe combine them with SW to keep those purple and blue stuns coming while you start dropping those cheap red hits.

It's too bad that Eddie Brock doesn't generate web tiles, or that could be a quite interesting rainbow team.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:

Personal Note: I'm really disappointed that her colours match Miles's. The most exciting prospect of having multiple web tile generators at the same tier of play was to see how amazing they might have been feeding off one another. Miles isn't exactly breaking the game so having the duo build each other up a la xDP/XF would have been perfect! You even had the perfect red skill on Gwen to make it happen. Even just making Kick Out the Jams a blue skill (since OBW shows that blue means temp healing) would make a world of difference.
    Pretty sure they play tested that and found that one or the other of them became brokenly good when they could feed each other web tiles. From the AP gain Miles provides to the ease of reducing Gwen's red cost, they couldn't give them rainbow mode.