Boost changes with Update 25 Fabruary 2014

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
So what has changed? I see all the boosts in my inventory have the Retired label, but there is no obvious way to apply the new boosts. Anyone have an idea?

Comments

• Narkon wrote:
    So what has changed? I see all the boosts in my inventory have the Retired label, but there is no obvious way to apply the new boosts. Anyone have an idea?

Currently, you will have to find / discover them again, just like you did when you first played the game.
  • Once you empty a retired boost, do they get cleared from the list entirely?
  • btw, what matches give boosts? Is it all pvp matches like those in the new "Fresh Cut" tournament? I think "S.H.I.E.L.D. Versus" matches don't give boosts. At least they didn't give me when I played 4-5 games today.
  • Narkon wrote:
    btw, what matches give boosts? Is it all pvp matches like those in the new "Fresh Cut" tournament? I think "S.H.I.E.L.D. Versus" matches don't give boosts. At least they didn't give me when I played 4-5 games today.

Boosts were always handed out randomly after winning a game I think, and they were never exactly common.
  • bughunt wrote:
    Once you empty a retired boost, do they get cleared from the list entirely?
    after u have zero of the retired boosts u cant use them anymore and I think they dissappear
  • When I go in and look at my boosts I've noticed the following:

1. They all are marked retired except for the critical boost one. That was my least favorite one...
    2. Any that I had used up are not visible.
    3. It says "1 of 9 boosts found". I can't even imagine what the new 8 boosts are...

Now, why can't they let us know what the new ones are? Why does so much in this game have to be a mystery? They really need to have a gameplay guide available. The "Tips" post is very bare bones and doesn't list more advanced concepts.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Narkon wrote:
    btw, what matches give boosts? Is it all pvp matches like those in the new "Fresh Cut" tournament? I think "S.H.I.E.L.D. Versus" matches don't give boosts. At least they didn't give me when I played 4-5 games today.

Boosts were always handed out randomly after winning a game I think, and they were never exactly common.
    Don't think they drop in Prologue anymore
  • When I go in and look at my boosts I've noticed the following:

1. They all are marked retired except for the critical boost one. That was my least favorite one...
    2. Any that I had used up are not visible.
    3. It says "1 of 9 boosts found". I can't even imagine what the new 8 boosts are...

Now, why can't they let us know what the new ones are? Why does so much in this game have to be a mystery? They really need to have a gameplay guide available. The "Tips" post is very bare bones and doesn't list more advanced concepts.
    I think there must be an announcement on the way detailing the update. There is no word on today's update on the forum yet.
  • I went back to the prologue to get some of the boosts I had left unclaimed. The one I got was the Blue Purple damage boost. The bad news is that you still gain them in groups of 3, but now they give only +10% to damage. So the boosts you gain from a win sum up to +30% (since we are told they stack). This means that the potential benefit you gain in a match is increased, but the availability is halved which means more ISO spend for boosts. So even if their intention is not to increase the price as IceIX posted in the "Upcoming Patch Preview - R48 Discussion" topic, to gain the same total benefit in your matches from the boosts you need to buy them. This is an indirect price change. I just hope the stacked boosts is not their brilliant fix to the crazy scaling issues many experience.
  • The two I've found are:

+1 U/P AP
    +20% Match Damage (all colors)

I jammed all three +1 U/P in a match just to get rid of them (they all stack in one boost slot), and afterwards I could buy 5x +1 U/P AP for 200 ISO. Haven't tried the match damage yet.

I *JUST* read that the devs didn't want to change the pricing of boosts. Then why did they? Are they that bad at math? When I won boosts, I earned 3x +1 U/P, or 1/3 of the boosts you find before. Then, they cost 200 AP for 5x boosts, instead of the 6 required to match the previous value. I know that math is hard, but this is just counting guys, really.
  • Dunkelgrau wrote:
    The two I've found are:

+1 U/P AP
    +20% Match Damage (all colors)

I jammed all three +1 U/P in a match just to get rid of them (they all stack in one boost slot), and afterwards I could buy 5x +1 U/P AP for 200 ISO. Haven't tried the match damage yet.

I *JUST* read that the devs didn't want to change the pricing of boosts. Then why did they? Are they that bad at math? When I won boosts, I earned 3x +1 U/P, or 1/3 of the boosts you find before. Then, they cost 200 AP for 5x boosts, instead of the 6 required to match the previous value. I know that math is hard, but this is just counting guys, really.

If it's 5x +1 U/P AP for 200 ISO, isn't that cheaper than R47? In R47 it was +3 U/P AP for 200 ISO. Now you get +5 U/P AP for 200 ISO. Or am I reading your post wrong?
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Kyoku wrote:
    If it's 5x +1 U/P AP for 200 ISO, isn't that cheaper than R47? In R47 it was +3 U/P AP for 200 ISO. Now you get +5 U/P AP for 200 ISO. Or am I reading your post wrong?

Previously it was 3x +3 purple/blue which would make it a total of 18 AP for 200 ISO. As I understand it it is now 5x +1 purple/blue for a total of 10 AP for 200 ISO.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    Previously it was 3x +3 purple/blue which would make it a total of 18 AP for 200 ISO. As I understand it it is now 5x +1 purple/blue for a total of 10 AP for 200 ISO.

You're right. I was thinking incorrectly. Damn, that sucks then.
  • Yeah they cost twice as much in iso now. 120iso for a +3/+3 AP boost. Can't wait to get the +20iso rewards after using one of those!
  • I think the devs have a tournament themselves. The winner is the one who will manage to screw the players the most. This is why they try so many and different versions of things that aren't broken.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Just think about how big a chance this is since the days of full boosting every match: that was 3x +3 to all (so 54 AP) for 200 ISO. Talk about driving up the value of ISO.....
  • Why are you using boosts?

All you're doing is stunting your development.

You're much better off using that iso to level up your characters.

The only time I use them is the last frantic hours of an elite tourney or when I have maxed out at 10 count. Then I'll use three to open up space for a drop.

People wonder why their MMR is all out of whack? It's because you're punching above your weight class while juiced on boosts.
  • Narkon wrote:
    I think the devs have a tournament themselves. The winner is the one who will manage to screw the players the most. This is why they try so many and different versions of things that aren't broken.
    Serious. The devs changed the ONLY thing that wasn't broken, the boosts; and leave EVERYTHING else that os broken. I just don't get it.

Theu are making it very very very very hard to enjoy the game.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Why are you using boosts?

The only time I use them is the last frantic hours of an elite tourney or when I have maxed out at 10 count. Then I'll use three to open up space for a drop.

People wonder why their MMR is all out of whack? It's because you're punching above your weight class while juiced on boosts.

Yeah, they're just shifting boosts to be more of a 'special occasion' rather than the norm, which I'm fairly fine with.
  • Why are you using boosts?

I remember there was this commercial where an old Shaq was telling about his grandkids how back in his days they didn't have the moving basketball rim because after taking some sports drink, everyone become super awesome at basketball so they needed to invent the moving basketball rim to counter the effect of the said drink. It's the same issue here. If you don't want to be fighting guys way out of your league, don't take the super drugs that makes the game think you're that good. You can't just continue to take your drugs and win and then complain it's too hard. From the game's point of view you're still winning so it must assume your current opponents in PvE/PvP just aren't challenging enough. The game can't just assume you're supposed to suck when you still win all your games.