Upcoming Matchmaking Changes Testing - *Delayed

Comments

• j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    Everyone faces teams of a similar power level to their own, except those with very high-powered rosters who get to snipe at the people barely scraping 700 points so they can hit 1700.
    Yes, the quickest way to hit 1700 is to hit people at 700 for 1 point at a time. icon_rolleyes.gif

I've noticed a trend... the people who complain the most about PvP are the ones who have no idea how it works.

I agree. I had hated PVP before discovering cupcakes and #checking. Who doesnt hate:

1) targetting someone for 60pts and getting 15pts because other people hit him during your match
    2) winning a tough match for 60, then getting hit for 160 because the match took too long.
    3) sitting at 970, shield timer running out, with no winnable match worth 30+, or all matches worth 5 pts.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    j0nats wrote:
    1) targetting someone for 60pts and getting 15pts because other people hit him during your match
    You've got the wrong "because". If I had a dollar for every time someone said some variation of the above, my roster would like KD's.
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Could some tell me what cupcakes/cup caking is?
    And does that part about the weird strategy of not leveling up your characters helping your scaling mean that those of us without a ton of iso8 that can't level up all our characters are going to be experiencing tougher matches?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    And does that part about the weird strategy of not leveling up your characters helping your scaling mean that those of us without a ton of iso8 that can't level up all our characters are going to be experiencing tougher matches?

Given that that's basically everyone, unlikely.

I have no idea what cupcakes are, except delicious.

I guess I don't honestly care that much, ultimately. I cared about pvp once, but they've sucked all the fun out of it and I don't see this putting it back.
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    Everyone faces teams of a similar power level to their own, except those with very high-powered rosters who get to snipe at the people barely scraping 700 points so they can hit 1700.
    Yes, the quickest way to hit 1700 is to hit people at 700 for 1 point at a time. icon_rolleyes.gif

I've noticed a trend... the people who complain the most about PvP are the ones who have no idea how it works.

Can someone explain it to me how it is supposed to work? I thought I had a workable roster with a few championed 3* but no usable 4* (until Galactus, which finally gave me a usable Hulkbuster, but then my JG is useless due to not having any blue covers), but I failed painfully to get the coveted 1000 point in Scarlet Witch's PvP. The moment I reach 800 points (comfortably reached using winfinite and gradually climbing using Thor and BP), all matches beyond that was Jeanbuster worth 20 points, and skipping yielded very little variety. Every time I broke shield to beat a 30+ point beatable combo, if I don't shield immediately afterwards I'd lose 60+ points (for being juicy I suppose?).

I was hoping that this new matchmaking means that I can comfortably continue to face 3*-4* transitioners like me and not a series of jeanbusters.

Or can someone help me to *get* pvp? It's really frustrating to fail to meet at least the 1000 point mark, for someone who could really, really use those 4* covers. Roster in my sig.

Thank you.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    pabasa130 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Can someone explain it to me how it is supposed to work? I thought I had a workable roster with a few championed 3* but no usable 4* (until Galactus, which finally gave me a usable Hulkbuster, but then my JG is useless due to not having any blue covers), but I failed painfully to get the coveted 1000 point in Scarlet Witch's PvP. The moment I reach 800 points (comfortably reached using winfinite and gradually climbing using Thor and BP), all matches beyond that was Jeanbuster worth 20 points, and skipping yielded very little variety. Every time I broke shield to beat a 30+ point beatable combo, if I don't shield immediately afterwards I'd lose 60+ points (for being juicy I suppose?).

I was hoping that this new matchmaking means that I can comfortably continue to face 3*-4* transitioners like me and not a series of jeanbusters.

Or can someone help me to *get* pvp? It's really frustrating to fail to meet at least the 1000 point mark, for someone who could really, really use those 4* covers. Roster in my sig.

Thank you.

There's a great guide in tips and guides.

I will say you need to time your climbs better, don't be high and unshielded near end of the event. You need to get a feeling of where you can climb to without getting smashed. I'd say shield around 800. Find juicy points, wait a while (for any retals to deflect off your shield). Then hop, win your matches quick. Use boosts. Only hit two then shield. I have done three but it's risky.

I'd join early and not worry about placement also.
  • simonsez
    pabasa130 wrote:
    Can someone explain it to me how it is supposed to work? I thought I had a workable roster with a few championed 3* but no usable 4* (until Galactus, which finally gave me a usable Hulkbuster, but then my JG is useless due to not having any blue covers), but I failed painfully to get the coveted 1000 point in Scarlet Witch's PvP. The moment I reach 800 points (comfortably reached using winfinite and gradually climbing using Thor and BP)
    Don't use winfinite. You're showing a team that everyone is going to want to hit. And your experience isn't unusual. Depending on timing (eg if you're climbing close to the 3hr or 8hr mark) it gets very snipey. Even with a 4* team, going from 800 and trying to get to a first shield over 1000 can be a huge pain during those high activity times. Time your climbs around 13 or 10 or 2 hours left, and get a sense of how far you can before you get hit too hard. That'll tell you when you need to start shielding.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    My thoughts:

Speculative complaining is pointless. Ideally they're 'fixing' scaling, not personally going out of their way to make it worse for YOU and YOU ALONE.

They probably are testing during the Heroic because many people will be skipping it, and it is easier to sift through feedback when there is less of it. The "Data" they want is people saying "HEY, my boosted guys are awesome now!" or "I can't use my singleton OML but the guys are still too hard". Not just glancing over spreadsheets and saying "looks like carnage still ate their health packs".

It sounds to me like scaling will be based (more) on number of covers instead of level, which is a good incentive to max fully-covered heroes, but could punish us for not having enough ISO. I've got 3 fully-covered 4-stars, if my scaling goes up to 270+ I could be hosed. And it's not like I've purposefully left them underleveled; IW and Devil Dino don't seem like worthwhile investments when it just so happens that I also have every 3-star character which I occasionally want to level and champion.

So it's a dangerous balance, and hopefully they can encourage leveling without breaking the system. But very possible I'll be relying on Boosted 3's more than 4's for another year, who knows. Boosted-to-261 IF has been pretty essential during Galactus, and he'll only get better as he crawls toward 266 base.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    *UPDATE* (02/03/16):
    The planned matchmaking tests have been delayed.

The new plan is to run the tests closer to the R96 update (a few weeks in the future). Please accept our apologies, but due to work that needs to be done fixing bugs related to minion and boosted character scaling - we need to push matchmaking testing to March (tentative).

Thank you for your patience.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453

Given that that's basically everyone, unlikely.

I have no idea what cupcakes are, except delicious.

I guess I don't honestly care that much, ultimately. I cared about pvp once, but they've sucked all the fun out of it and I don't see this putting it back.

Here's an example of a cupcake. . . loaner, lvl 70 obw, lvl 80 mnmag defense. .. worth 75 points. The baker is a high scorer who throws an easy to beat defense to allow his friends, alliance mates to grab quick points. The defense is out for a very short time, maybe like a minute, before the player switch back to a normal 5*/max 4* defense and then shield. Once the shield is up, people start feeding and get easy points. High scorers bounce off each other like this to hit 2-3k each. The side benefit is that if your points is low too, the AI might not give you the baker as a matchup.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]*UPDATE* (02/03/16):

The new plan is to run the tests closer to the R96 update (a few weeks in the future). Please accept our apologies, but due to work that needs to be done fixing bugs related to minion and boosted character scaling - we need to push matchmaking testing to March (tentative).

Any chance of a rerun of Galactus Hunger event? After all, a lot of players got burned by the scaling bug (hello level 667 sniper!) and have no shot at clearing round 8. icon_mad.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:

Please tell me you're rolling back the changes to PVE scaling which we are seeing in Galactus.

You're not going to keep the level 600+ enemies turned on until R96?
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    @puppychow & Bowgentle

The dev team are actively looking into what can be fixed/changed as quickly as possible and what may take longer, etc. We'll post more info when we have it. Apologies, but it's still a fix and investigation in progress.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you for the acknowledgement, David.
    Much better to know it's being looked at than getting the silent treatment.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    Thank you for the update.

Please test out the system in between PvP seasons. If you're concerned about engagement, just throw in good progression awards & a 5* cover at the 2k progression and plenty of people will play at all levels.
  • simonsez
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]@puppychow & Bowgentle

The dev team are actively looking into what can be fixed/changed as quickly as possible and what may take longer, etc. We'll post more info when we have it. Apologies, but it's still a fix and investigation in progress.
    In the meantime, one thing you CAN do is update the prize tables, right? Since the Galactus event is more difficulty and costly than intended, and since PvP events aren't giving out any ISO, making substantial increases to the prize tables would help to make up for what people are missing out on.
  • PriceCzech
    PriceCzech Posts: 63 Match Maker
    simonsez wrote:
    In the meantime, one thing you CAN do is update the prize tables, right? Since the Galactus event is more difficulty and costly than intended, and since PvP events aren't giving out any ISO, making substantial increases to the prize tables would help to make up for what people are missing out on.
    You mean you don't like the 20 ISO you get 4 out of 6 times when defeating Galactus with 54k health? I LOOOOOVE that! (No CPs yet on round 8)
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,399 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:

how about no new people until all the bugs are fix so we wont run into this problem anymore
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Extending the event would be fair too. The scaling is so ridiculous that I can't even beat the unlock nodes. I've never burned through health packs this fast. I'm stuck at 775k and the LT may as well be another million away the way my progress has slowed. Funny enough Galactus has only beaten me once. Level 200 plus Gorgon is something someone with a roster like mine should never see.
  • _Ryu_
    _Ryu_ Posts: 149
    "David wrote:

I am thankful for that, the boosted 3* nerf is really annoying, so if this gets more prio then other stuff, I am cool with it!