What's it really like having a scary 5 Star?

Ludaa
Ludaa Posts: 542
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
We all want them, but does it change your game for the better?

After hearing from a few alliance mates, it might not be all it's cracked up to be. If you level your 5 high enough, PvP matchmaking becomes horrendous. Right after seeds you're matched with everyone else who has a similar 5. Depending on your shard, that means you'll be in "mmr hell" at 100 points and be cycling the same 6 people over and over. I would imagine PvE is easier, unless you're one that is still transitioning to the 4* level.

So, if you've got a nice 5 star going, what has your PvP experience been? Do things differ from 300-350, or 400+?

Sidenote: Mostly interested in "veteran" rosters, as we've seen the scaling complaint threads from those still transitioning.

Comments

• Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    The following thread touches on this topic, but it is almost a couple months old:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36385
  • nic13
    nic13 Posts: 87
    Boring as hell.

I'm not being sarcastic.

1. You q the same people all the time across all events. That means you could be stuck sometimes.

2. It's basically the same as having maxed whichever the meta pair is (think sentry bomb; xf gt; fistbuster; Jean buster etc). You're running the same team all the time.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    nic13 wrote:
    Boring as hell.

I'm not being sarcastic.

1. You q the same people all the time across all events. That means you could be stuck sometimes.

2. It's basically the same as having maxed whichever the meta pair is (think sentry bomb; xf gt; fistbuster; Jean buster etc). You're running the same team all the time.
    Good to know. I haven't gotten around to pumping ISO into my 5* yet as I don't have quite the right covers, so it's good to hear I can keep them at base level a while longer and focus on my 4* roster still.
  • zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Beside from the "i'm not shielding before I get the LT" part it's pretty repetitive.

I got a lvl 390 Logan and the game play reminds me of running patch back in the days. Match match match, put wolverine out front to soak damage, heal. End. Rinse, repeat.

Personally I think the climb to 800ish is the worst, after that you start to see real points again. Even if you have to take on some lock 400+ surfers it's ok, he's just a meat shield.

Pve has gotten a lot more tolerable for me though, Logan and IF cleans up anything under level 250 or so. Goon nodes I just match away.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    nic13 wrote:

I think it's actually worse. Before 5 stars really became a thing I would see plenty of maxed 'team of the month's in my queue as I ramped up in points. Now I rarely see them anymore. I assume the level gap between us has become too great that they are no longer part of the target pool available to me now that they have started levelling 5 stars.

And if I'm not seeing them then they aren't seeing people like me either. I have health 200+ 4 stars, but just don't have the ISO to push beyond 210ish. So their pool has narrowed drastically.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    nic13 wrote:
    Boring as hell.

I'm not being sarcastic.

Responses like that are why I'm glad to not even be in 4* land yet. I love this game, and stuff like that would make me quit.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I saw a video of a boxed account with a maxed OML and XDP fighting a maxed OML/Surfer pair. It took about 1.5 minutes, and throughout the course of the entire match only ONE power was fired. One. Power. It was all match damage. Every AI match triggerd X-Enforcer, which was the only kinda cool interaction throughout the whole match. At one point a match 5 was made on black and the resulting critical tile did 10,000 damage when matched. It looked boring as hell, and IMO completely defeats the point of a superhero game when no one has to use an actual superpower. It was a good thing to see...now I don't have to try for them, because honestly, that's not a game I want to be playing.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not sure if my OML is scare, lvl 345 (2/2/2), but i can climb to 1k+ without a shield now, Ssim has definately gotten harder though, but got my 2k, put out an easy team, and will retal to farm iso.. so that is fun.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    tanis3303 wrote:
    I saw a video of a boxed account with a maxed OML and XDP fighting a maxed OML/Surfer pair. It took about 1.5 minutes, and throughout the course of the entire match only ONE power was fired. One. Power. It was all match damage. Every AI match triggerd X-Enforcer, which was the only kinda cool interaction throughout the whole match. At one point a match 5 was made on black and the resulting critical tile did 10,000 damage when matched. It looked boring as hell, and IMO completely defeats the point of a superhero game when no one has to use an actual superpower. It was a good thing to see...now I don't have to try for them, because honestly, that's not a game I want to be playing.

Why shouldn't I just play Bejeweled at this point?

Great game design, Devs. Bravo.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is what I really didn't understand about the 5* tier when Surfer came out. He was clearly so much stronger than everyone else, that once he's built up, you're forced to use him every single fight. So once you get a maxed 5*, your roster shrinks down to the 5*, the essential, and 1 random person. Where's the fun in that? No fun combos, no trying out different people, just one 5* whaling away on another.

I think the devs were caught off guard by how quickly people got usable 5*s. But even so, what did they think was going to happen when you come up with a new tier that makes everything below it irrelevant?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    thank you for all who've posted your experiences here. my ss is at 1/4/3 and I've been very tempted to put iso into him - still at 255 for now. problem is, I only have 1 maxed 4*(hb), 1 at 250 (jean - will max soon), 1 leveling at 200 (ice) and the rest of the top 6-8 characters at 12 or 13 covers each. I'm glad to see that taking ss from 255 to 350ish would not 'help' as much as I think it might. if I ever pull an oml yellow for my 2/-/2 logan I always thought everything would have to get put on hold for him, but reading this, I'm not so sure.
  • Orion
    TxMoose wrote:
    thank you for all who've posted your experiences here. my ss is at 1/4/3 and I've been very tempted to put iso into him - still at 255 for now. problem is, I only have 1 maxed 4*(hb), 1 at 250 (jean - will max soon), 1 leveling at 200 (ice) and the rest of the top 6-8 characters at 12 or 13 covers each. I'm glad to see that taking ss from 255 to 350ish would not 'help' as much as I think it might. if I ever pull an oml yellow for my 2/-/2 logan I always thought everything would have to get put on hold for him, but reading this, I'm not so sure.

Remember that these stories are for people with max or near-max 5*s. I think that pushing your SS from 255 to 360 will help you more than it will hurt. I plan on pushing my OML from 300 to 360 fairly soon, so I'll have more info then.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    Remember that these stories are for people with max or near-max 5*s. I think that pushing your SS from 255 to 360 will help you more than it will hurt. I plan on pushing my OML from 300 to 360 fairly soon, so I'll have more info then.
    Agreed, I've been running a level 300 1/1/1 OML and haven't had this experience. It would interesting to see where the cutoff happens.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    Agreed, I've been running a level 300 1/1/1 OML and haven't had this experience. It would interesting to see where the cutoff happens.
    yes. more of this type of discussion. this is really valuable info. iso is so precious (I'm sounding like Gollum now - that's a meme ready to be made) and I have so many great 4*s ready to go, not sure how best to allocate things.
  • Orion
    Well, I have a 7 cover OML and a 6 cover SS that are both level 300. I see a decent number of 5*s as I push to 1k in PvP, but if they're level 330 or under then they're not too hard to beat with a couple of maxed 4*s. If they're higher than that, then they usually get the skip button.

As I push my OML higher, then I'll see how that affects my PvP opponents.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Orion wrote:
    I think the devs were caught off guard by how quickly people got usable 5*s. But even so, what did they think was going to happen when you come up with a new tier that makes everything below it irrelevant?

If they had kept with their initial design (you couldn't buy LTs, only earn them), then it would have taken a lot longer. As it was, we had maxed out surfer before we even had OML launched (at 5% draw rate).

At the point where they introduced alliance CP bonuses for buying, the speed at which a person could acquire LTs was over 50x faster than the initial launch concept.

Could you imagine how much different it would be if LTs had ONLY been available as 1v1 DPD and 1 per event as the highest progression reward? People with 5*s would have to have earned them through playing the game, which would have made them equally available to everyone.

Of course the whales would still be ahead, they have the best rosters, they paid to have that advantage. But they would be two or three covers ahead, not 20-30 covers ahead. But the LT drop rate wouldn't have been high enough to make 5*s a viable class (by that I mean, one where they could have released one a month). It would have been a new 5* every three or four months. You could have actually made it an event, made it special.

Instead you chose a short-term cash grab at the expense of the viability of your game. You made them gods, available for purchase.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    yes. more of this type of discussion. this is really valuable info. iso is so precious (I'm sounding like Gollum now - that's a meme ready to be made) and I have so many great 4*s ready to go, not sure how best to allocate things.
    bhSbxMx.png?1
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    And apparently they ruined the game for themselves, and cause barely a ripple for everyone outside of that tier because they can't see the average 3*-4* player and we can't see them.
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    I have an 11 cover Phoenix (420) and an 8 cover SS (375). I experience the same as the above posters. It's a cakewalk to 1300 in pvp but all I see are the same targets over and over until I get to 900ish. I am basically forced to use those 2 because of the MMR. Occasionally I'll see a 4 mixed in but typically it's 2 5's teams.

For PVE, scaling is immediately 395 for goons and 330 for characters. Some of those cd tiles really pack a punch.

For LR, forget it. My "big" 5's are a punching bag to all the Crews and Villains champed 5's but I get it. They aren't intentionally trying to triple tap me but I am likely all they can queue that is not an ally.

While it's still new it is fun but ask me in a month after using the same 2 characters exclusively.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I randomly got a Silver Surfer blue cover from my very first LT. He's now, without any Iso, by far the highest level character on my roster, but basically useless except for match damage. It has definitely not helped my MMR. I saw a jump of about 30 levels at the end of every event, and I now face basically nothing in PvP except 4* teams and championed 3* teams, which I lose to regularly. I went from averaging maybe 600-700 points in PvP before running out of health packs to averaging 250.

I'm seriously considering just selling him off.