why do 7 day events exist?

2»

Comments

• all they really have to do is take the 7 day events as they are, spilt them in two, and run them as part 1 and part 2 in a 3/4 or 4/3 format without doing any other changes. would still be boring as hell but at least it wouldnt be a 7 day that takes away a full set of progression awards. thats all anybody is asking.

i know its so easy it cant be done icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    You know what's the worst part of a 7-day event? When your phone gets stolen 6 days in and a few thousand points away from the LT. icon_evil.gif

And what makes it even worse is that I can't link my account through Steam and MPQ isn't available on the Kindle Fire...
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    You know what's the worst part of a 7-day event? When your phone gets stolen 6 days in and a few thousand points away from the LT. icon_evil.gif

And what makes it even worse is that I can't link my account through Steam and MPQ isn't available on the Kindle Fire...
    Man that sucks. You could install an Android emulator on your PC (Andy is one), link it to Facebook, install MPQ and go from there. Not sure how much time you have left in your slice but might be worth a try...

Back to the OP: I played one 7-day event since Legendary Tokens were released and decided then it was not worth my time/effort. Unless they significantly increase the rewards (two LTs, at the 4 day and 3 day progression points?) it will never be worth me attempting again.
  • Polares wrote:
    "... why do 7 day events exist?"

To give players one more dead horse to beat? What would General Discussion be without repetitive threads like this one? Weather chat?

Well someone would think that devs would have learnt the lesson by now, that nobody likes these events, but it seems they are so stupid they can learn something that simple. This is why people keeps repeating the same, so they finally learn that NOBODY LIKES THEM.

Seems like this stuff would be painfully obvious to just about anyone at this point, but yeah, people tend to complain about things that don't work until the thing changes or they lose interest and move on. One would hope that D3 has the common sense to grasp that when the complaining stops, so does the income, but alas, the internet... lol

DBC
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is 1 good thing about 7 day PVE's, reaching the LT with over a day left in the event.. it's like taking a sick day from work.. you can do other things!
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    So that we don't complain about how long the four day events are?
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    One would hope that D3 has the common sense to grasp that when the complaining stops, so does the income, but alas, the internet... lol

My guess is that they have a better sense of what affects their income more than forumites do. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Well someone would think that devs would have learnt the lesson by now, that nobody likes these events, but it seems they are so stupid they can learn something that simple. This is why people keeps repeating the same, so they finally learn that NOBODY LIKES THEM.

I don't think the devs believe you.

Judging by posts here and chatter elsewhere, there is a high correlation players who "hate" 7-day events, and players who feel compelled to compete in everything.

The hardcore 1-2% complain about such things. Meanwhile, the silent, casual majority plays on.

If 7-day PVEs were demonstrably bad for business, and such was reflects in usage metrics, you wouldn't see them anymore. Since they have run for basically forever now, rest assured the opposite is the case.

As for new releases ... for 4 months they refrained from 7day new releases. Ran them all as 4days over weekends. If the numbers justified running releases exclusively that way, they'd do it.

As for me, I see 7day events as 7days w/o a heroic, 7days of reliable farming.
    The next new character release, Nova, is the prize for the 4-day event The Hunt. What exactly are we complaining about?

The complaining has two fronts:

1. No more 7day new releases!
    2. 7day PVEs don't pay as well as shorter PVEs!

This thread began as the second variety.

But people play 7-day events because they want the rewards, and if a new char is the price, we play it even more because there is a new char, but that doesn't mean we are enjoying our time with the game at that time. And this is very bad for them in the long run, because when we start not having fun, not liking the game, we are more likely to try to find this fun in another game, so we start devoting ourselves to these other game, and when we move to this other game, then they lose users AND money.

So maybe they won't believe me, but I know that people gets burnt with these events.

I have to say though that I tought this event was 7-day long, I checked and it is not, so know I feel way better. I just assumed after seeing the thread that it was 7-day long. My mistake.
    Malcrof wrote:
    There is 1 good thing about 7 day PVE's, reaching the LT with over a day left in the event.. it's like taking a sick day from work.. you can do other things!

I feel the same, which reminds me A LOT about work and not about a game I enjoy playing. As I said before, NOT GOOD, we should be thinking about playing the game, not that we have a free day.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

Or you can be like me and take a sick WEEK from work! Sure, I miss out on an LT, but I also don't need to worry about being sad when it gives me a useless 6th cover to a non-13-cover 4* after a week of endless grinding!
  • Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Don't they fit in to my time exactly the same way regardless If it was 3 day or 7 day event? One sub node at a time.

The rewards do need more of a rework, but they did double ISO rewards didn't they? So yay for half a job there.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Until people stop playing them, they'll keep running them. I haven't bothered to even play Prodigal Sun some days. Others I do the first node once and then maybe the essentials once before I get bored and go back to PvP.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    The per day comparisons are slightly disingenuous cause it's not like they can just run 3-day events ad nausea, so they would be "diluted" by 4-day events. I think per day, they've done a pretty good job balancing the iso/hp rewards. All subs have the same rewards outside of the 2-day subs having actually slightly better rewards since top 10 are rewarded extra, so that is a wash. The placement rewards (hp/iso) I think are scaled as well such that 7-day events are 2x the 3/4 day ones.

Where the big discrepancy is though, is in the covers that everyone generally cares most about. Playing 7 days for one 4* (if you're lucky/good/crazy enough for top 10) and/or a set of 3* covers feels bad when you can do so for twice as much in the 3/4 day events. Same thing with progression rewards. One 3* progression cover, one LT instead of the 2 you would get with a 3/4 PvE week.

In terms of suggestions...I'm not sure placement rewards can/should really be changed. Maybe extend placement so more people get the covers (top 2 all 3 4*, 10 get 2, 20 get 1?), i.e. change the numbers so you're handing out double the covers, but more people getting them as opposed to same placement levels but those guys are getting double (6 covers for top 1! insane!). Progression rewards should be changed to more closely match those from 3/4 day PvE weeks. Put an LT to be reached at the 2/3 day mark point-wise, and another at the 6-day point mark. Throw in a few more HP/cp/iso rewards in between the two LT, maybe even a second 3* cover.

The sad reality is they don't actually need to change anything because we keep playing these anyway. They're only gonna change things to get more people to play. If their numbers show enough are playing they're not likely to change it out of the goodness of their hearts.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    mohio wrote:
    The sad reality is they don't actually need to change anything because we keep playing these anyway.
    This.
    If metrics said that player engagement is low for 7 day events, they would stop.

7 day events are not that bad, as long as it's one sub per day - that's a guaranteed event token, some HP and some much needed ISO.

PVE is the best way to earn ISO outside of LRs, so just treat every event as something that spits out ISO, event tokens, HP and a LT, and ignore the prizes for final placement.

The game has 99 problems, but running 7 day events isn't very high on that list.
    Except for those 3 nodes in the main, they can die in a fire.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    mohio wrote:

The sad reality is they don't actually need to change anything because we keep playing these anyway. They're only gonna change things to get more people to play. If their numbers show enough are playing they're not likely to change it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Thirded. If you folks hate 7 day events so much then why play them? As soon as those in charge see numbers of players continuously drop then maybe they will rethink running them, especially for new character releases. Until then things will run as is.

I will agree that final progression rewards should be boosted a bit, not in terms of covers but more ISO, HP and CP, maybe a 50% increase as after all there are already more awards compared to 4 day events as there are more subs.