When are you going to Use 5 Star Players?

VA5
VA5 Posts: 66
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Thought it would be interesting to see what people think on this topic. I am starting to see many more 5 star players this season.
As a mid / upper level 4 roster I will probably wait until I get 7 covers for a 5 star and at lease one of each color before I start to sub them in on PVP roster.

If anyone is tech savvy and can make one of the charts you click on a number to register votes it would be appreciated.

Comments

• zeddicus
    zeddicus Posts: 77 Match Maker
    I use the one I have left on some of the early player versus player matches. Sometimes in Deadpool daily quest just to use it. I ended up selling silver surfer, as only one cover. Then got another next pull. Just my luck.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I use mine only for the trivlal nodes in PVE and sometimes on the seed teams in the LRs. This is due to the fact that RNGesus has not graced me with one viable 5* yet even with a Phoenix with 7 covers. She is 3/4/0 which makes her pretty much worthless.

Buy hey, they kick the heck out of those trivial nodes like champs.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will use them for seed teams in LR and will use OML 3,1,1 level 255 in PVP until around 800 points. He just saves health packs and throws out some nasty strike tiles. I am hoping to level him to 325-350 within the next month so he will be more viable.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    OML with yellow covers is a good tank for heroes with black red yellow powers. Once he gets red he's even better, and with black he's a beast.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lol 315+ with all 3 colors.
  • IFORANI
    IFORANI Posts: 91
    Personally was going to stay away from them until I get a small group of 4 stars maxed but with current update I'm considering doing it now is not going to really make it any worse.

Just seems like it was when I did have one. However, this just might be me.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    As soon as I get an oml yellow or surfer red, they are getting iso and joining my rotation.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    My OML is 2/3/1 level 300 and I use him all of the time. I use him in the shield sim with JG and 4Thor. His black is amazing with Jean's AoE attacks. I use him with my 2/2/2 level 300 Surfer and Fist on easy nodes and seed teams. Heck, they can even beat hard nodes most of the time. He's just that good.

Surfer isn't all that good outside of his match damage. His red doesn't even do 2k and his black is pretty useless. He'll be better with more covers, but I couldn't see using him seriously without 8 covers or so.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dont even have usable 4*s yet, so I sold all my 5*s as they were only hurting my scaling.

I dont see me using any 5*s this year so I'll report back in 2017 to see whether I'm using any then. icon_lol.gif
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    I use my 1/1/2@255 OML for PvE trivial nodes, plus, usually, the first hard node. But that's about it. Another couple covers on him and I'll put ISO into him and start using him more seriously. A blue cover on my 0/0/4 surfer and same. The other two? At one cover each, who knows.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use my 285, 0/3/1 OML now for PvE and Shield Sim, but sparingly so.

Overall, I'm not sure. I'm almost at the point where my 4* are diverse enough where I can use most of the top tier and a few of the middle tier as well. Scoring a billion points in PvP isn't really a priority and a 4* roster is plenty to get to 1300.

I'll probably end up bringing them up to 310-325 or so and then just using them in rotation with my heavy hitters, but really up in there on that.
  • 1/3/1 level 330 OML and he's become a part of my A team for PVP. I'm in the process of banking up ISO to pump up one of my good 4* partners for him. I only have 100k right now so I need at least 100k or more before I make the decision but I have Iceman, 4Cyc and 4DP ready to level once I make the decision.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since I'm pulling about 4% on my LTs (7/160 or so) I probably won't use them, ever.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use my SS and OML for PVP almost exclusively. 532 SS @ level 405 and 222 OML @ level 335,The match damage alone is insane.

I started using SS at 6 covers for climbing in PVP and started hopping with him @ 7 covers. OML I waited for 6 covers to use, but he;s good enough for both climbing and hopping.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Once I get some extra covers for mine Ill start using them, been on a slow streak though. Like 0/30 recently.

I need Yellow for OML and Blue for SS....and half a dozen "more" for P or S. At that point they will get some ISO too. Right now they are just seed/trivial fodder.
  • Cylaali
    Cylaali Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    i use my 270, 3 cover five stars for trivial nodes or seed teams. never take them into pvp vs another user.

might i add, i hit any five star that is at 315 and lower. anything higher than that... they'd have to be worth a lot of points.
  • I posted a while ago about my plan to skip the 4* tier, and lo! It as come to pass.

I got super lucky with IMHB token draws, so he's my best 4* at 5/2/1 lvl 150 (could be 172), but he's still just not good enough compared to my 5*s or my 3clops. I bought up PX blue before the HP "balance", so he's available for winfinite. Other than that, no 4* with more than 6 covers.

3 5*s with 2 or 3 covers: SS 2/1/0, OML 0/1/2, and JG 1/0/1. They all have at least 1 of their healing covers, so they're awesome as a team for seed teams (LR or PvP) and for weak PvE nodes. That's about 1/2 my play right there!

In PvP, I use OML ALL THE TIME because he tanks for my champ'ed 3clops, who is my best option for "real" fights. So I can run 0-800 without any healthpack drain most of the time thanks to OML. I can't go higher than that anyway.

So it's not like my 3-cover 5*s are world beaters, but as I predicted: they are strictly better than any of my 4*s and will probably keep being that way due to the draw %s right now. As they add more 5*s, the balance will eventually shift, but they still seem to be adding lots of 4*s too, so who knows when (or if) I'll finally get a 4* better than OML for my 'featured'/OML/3clops team?

(P.S. for PvE reasons, all my 5*s are still 255, and I fear the day I draw 2 more OML covers and could theoretically push him to 330 or higher).
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I've got a 0/1/1 OML and one-cover SS and Phoenix. They get to come out to play on trivial PVE and I feed them LR seeds, but they're not allowed to talk to actual people. I get that OML black, though, and I might debut him at some low-society affairs.
  • I've had a Silver Surfer cover rostered since the day that OML was added to tokens and the percentage increased to 10%. I opened all saved LTs then. I've had OML and Jean Grey rostered since the day Champions went live when I opened a ton of saved tokens.

I have never played with a 5* except for the practice node where a full SS crushed three fully 4*.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    I've got:

Surfer 0/1/2
    OML 1/1/0
    Phoenix 0/1/0
    Spidey 1/0/0

And they're just on bench right now. My current plan is just to ignore them until I get at least six 4*'s maxed at 270. That's gonna be a while (currently the highest I have is just four 4*'s at 209) so I figure by then, I'll have enough covers to make them usable. But if the RNG gets favorable with me, that might change.