App Store Price Updates

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello,

We wanted to pass along info that Apple is currently initiating scheduled price updates in the App Store for certain territories. Players of D3 Go! games including; Marvel Puzzle Quest, Magic: The Gathering - Puzzle Quest, and Adventure Time Puzzle Quest may see price increases for some items.

Here’s a quote from Apple:
    “When foreign exchange rates change, we sometimes need to update prices on the App Store. Within the next 72 hours, prices for apps and In-App Purchases will increase in the following territories: • Canada • Israel • Mexico • New Zealand • Russia • Singapore • South Africa.”

Thank you.

Comments

• Stupid Canadian Dollar.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Funny thing, I bet they never lower based on exchange rates.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great, how about updating the January events thread
  • RoryQ
    RoryQ Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Pretty sure when one currency decreases another increases. Hmm... could have sworn that's how it worked. Bad Apple.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    You should probably adjust your prices in response to this. Apple doing some price shuffling is a huge opportunity to build some good will with your players.

Between HP becoming tremendously devalued by losing the ability to directly purchase ability levels on a covered character, and the price of ISO-8 being deemed far too steep since virtually as long as I can remember, a price increase to these regions could easily spell the end or near-end of consistent purchases from those regions (even though the increase isn't your fault). Expanding what that unit of currency will get you in in-game-currency would do a lot to counter that.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for this. I was waiting for a HP price sale so i could make my first purchase from the game in more than two years of playing (plus i have only 1600 HP). Looking at this, you people can forget about seeing my money. Haven't spent a single cent on this game, and don't think i ever will now.
    They just had a sale for the holidays in December, so you were probably going to be waiting a while anyway.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Price is $119.99 +tx now. I can easily see it hitting $139.99 +tx considering how weak our dollar is.

If Google follows suit, that'll be enough to push me in to retirement.
  • Bossblack
    Bossblack Posts: 80 Match Maker
    I think this is it for me... A Stark price from $99.99 CAD to $119.99 last year and now $139.99? Plus I pay 13% sales tax that works out to be around $158 CAD!

Everything increases in price and my salary increase just won't catch up. icon_lol.gif

No thanks, but $158 CAD can get me a lot of things better than 20K HP.

I do not think I will spend another dollar on this game.

This is just me and I have no intention to influence anyone not to spend money as this is really a personal choice on if you are willing to pay or not. I am also aware this is not the fault of D3. However D3 should really look into the value of the money players spent. I will be glad to pay the price if I feel the money spent is worth it. However 20K HP does not look very attractive for $158 CAD.. even when it's on sale for 28K HP, plus now I can only use HP to buy packs and shields. What else can HP do? If I can buy ISO with HP then maybe..
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    There's no reason whatsoever for this price increase. I get that the dollar might not be worth as much as it was when the game began, but neither is HP.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Guess what, Europeans have been fleeced from day 1.
    Our Stark has always cost 100 Euro, which is the equivalent of 158 CDN.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    If google prices stay the same, buy google cards and just load the game on an android device, use the card, then go back to your other.
  • Bowgentle wrote:

It's not going to get any better with the CDN losing value.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    How is Apple setting the price on the goods D3 sells?? If D3 doesn't want to raise prices... they don't have to, right? If Apple users only means of purchasing goods for the app is through the APP store and no other way, then D3 should be the one setting the price of their goods, not Apple. If Apple device users had another way to purchase goods for the app such as through D3's website, then ok, Apple can hike prices, and watch people buy through another means... Aren't there laws against monopolies?
  • Bossblack
    Bossblack Posts: 80 Match Maker
    Personally I think the price of the in app purchase should be based on the average income of the region. It seems to be following U.S. currency so when exchange rates changes, it reflects the local currency for the purchase prices based on the USD. If the average income of a region is significantly lower than well developed regions that it should have a lower pricing for in game purchases. However, instead, it seems to INCREASE the pricing for regions with higher average income. i.e. Europe for example, 100 Euro does not equal 100 USD but they are being charged 100 EURO regardless.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bossblack wrote:
    Personally I think the price of the in app purchase should be based on the average income of the region. It seems to be following U.S. currency so when exchange rates changes, it reflects the local currency for the purchase prices based on the USD. If the average income of a region is significantly lower than well developed regions that it should have a lower pricing for in game purchases. However, instead, it seems to INCREASE the pricing for regions with higher average income. i.e. Europe for example, 100 Euro does not equal 100 USD but they are being charged 100 EURO regardless.

It is a US based company, so all transactions get converted to USD before they get paid.. so if they lower prices in one region, technically that region is now paying much less than other regions.

An example: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/lo ... 58135.html

If the CAD drops to $0.59 against the USD, by putting a Stark at $100 CAD, would mean you are paying $59 USD.. not quite fair to those elsewhere...

Although, i understand they don't give raises for things like that, so i feel for everyone having to deal with this. But this is not something the game makers have any say in. Apple raises prices regularly by region, the game makers just set prices based on their home countries currency.. which is why some games have packages that look odd in USD.. one i play had a pop-up for a package for $17.26 USD.. probably $20 in their currency.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Bossblack wrote:

It is a US based company, so all transactions get converted to USD before they get paid.. so if they lower prices in one region, technically that region is now paying much less than other regions.
    I only buy Digital Goods coded in America!
  • This was kind of touched on above, but I'm pretty sure they set the price in USD and Apple/Google does all of the exchange rate stuff. I don't think D3 sets the prices for their IAP on a regional basis.

I know that HP is significantly devalued now (I regret not buying one more JG cover the second I pulled my 5th blue/12th cover since Blue is slated to be the next 1000 progression reward), but I don't think we can blame D3 for our sucky dollar. We can blame them for how much we get for $100 USD though. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:

£79.99 which is approx $161CAD. I can't imagine the Greeks, Spainish or Italians spending too much considering their economies and rate of inflation. It's mainly Germany and France propping up the eurozone.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    san-mpq wrote:
    Funny thing, I bet they never lower based on exchange rates.

Like how gas prices are the same at a $35 dollar barrel as they were at an $80 barrel?
  • jordanix
    jordanix Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    mutimloh wrote:

I know that HP is significantly devalued now

This is the real conundrum for me. They should look at drastically changing how much HP you get for what you pay.
    I'm sitting on a nest egg of HP, so unless something changes I don't foresee ever having to spend money on this game again.

Im always fascinated by businesses that don't want my money.