Champions is bad idea

2»

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champions are a fantastic idea.

That doesn't mean implementation has been without flaw.

But flaws can be fixed, and the stuff that works?

oh baby
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    *clears throat*
    26 legendary tokens from champions, with 3 more coming in the next two weeks.

Nuff said.

And that's why I think people are so keen on champions right now. It's the feature's dirty little secret. Ultimately, it isn't about the champions at all. The devs bought themselves a lot of favor for the change by heavily front-loading it with legendary tokens. Whether Sentry is 166 or 168 is completely irrelevant. It is about a 4* transition which people desperately want.

And that is why I'm curious to see if the mood might change a bit over time, once that first wave of rewards for the first draw legendary tokens had dried up, and people start realizing it will be 15 more covers before the second 4 star.png reward. I remember recent threads complaining about how long it took people to get their fifth Black Panther black, etc. This feature gets out of the gates like a bullet, but has the potential to slow down to a crawl.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    *clears throat*
    26 legendary tokens from champions, with 3 more coming in the next two weeks.

Nuff said.

And that's why I think people are so keen on champions right now. It's the feature's dirty little secret. Ultimately, it isn't about the champions at all. The devs bought themselves a lot of favor for the change by heavily front-loading it with legendary tokens. Whether Sentry is 166 or 168 is completely irrelevant. It is about a 4* transition which people desperately want.

And that is why I'm curious to see if the mood might change a bit over time, once that first wave of rewards for the first draw legendary tokens had dried up, and people start realizing it will be 15 more covers before the second 4 star.png reward. I remember recent threads complaining about how long it took people to get their fifth Black Panther black, etc. This feature gets out of the gates like a bullet, but has the potential to slow down to a crawl.

The LTs are definitely appealing to kick things off, but as we leave that phase behind, I'm finding that my little champion army (all 2-3*s maxed) are feeding a lot of resources back to me.

Maybe it doesn't look like a lot in terms of iso, but it's a regular trickle of hp, heroics, covers and enough cp to buy more LTs already. Plus it's fun to get covers and see you can stuff them in your characters for a little non-iso bonus! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think it will dry up. The iso rewards along the way make up for the covers you feed into your champions, so that's a wash, but you get an extra level on your maxed hero. Even if I just get 500 iso today for the DDQ cover, it still feels like progress. The non-iso rewards are very helpful, with the legendary tokens and 4* covers as stand-outs. Because there are rewards for maxing characters starting with 2*s, vets see the most benefit, but players at every level get to participate. By itself, I have to consider the champion feature a tremendous success.

The "balance pass" they made at the same time is the major downside. Overnight, many characters had their damage output significantly lowered. With the way scaling is handled, the typical overleveled 2* opponents and goons in PVE are still doing just as much damage to me, but it takes me longer to down them. Usable 4* and 5* characters provided by the influx of legendary tokens are helping to make up the shortfall, but then I hit a heroic event and it's just painful. I'm happy that the 2* and 3* progression and placement rewards are now more than fancy iso packages, but I can't even stomach grinding out the CP from these nodes.

We've got a couple of patches before we'll potentially see any change to the balancing. I didn't parse out the last words on the matter from David to mean that we'll definitely see an improvement with r94, just that that's the earliest we might see changes.
  • Rogan_Josh
    Rogan_Josh Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Plus respecs, which people have been asking to be able to do for a long time. It's not equally valuable for every character, but for some it's immensely useful.

And there it is, finally someone mentions the real benefit of championing. I can't remember the number of posts this forum has had over the years asking for this.

Another thing people have been constantly clamoring for is a better 4* transition. Tah dah! 4* covers for completing 3* characters.

Still doesn't fix the ISO problem.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of my coworkers likes to say "One mountain a day" whenever we start to list all of the issues we need to fix. I'll be interested to hear what's coming with r93 and r94.