5 star beat downs

Pats0132
Pats0132 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So I have been debating for a long time to write on the forums again but decided it was time to make another entry into the negativity but it's needed. It might be venting or might not be but it's something that had to be done. After, playing this game for over two years, I was getting excited again for the game with the changes that were coming. That the more you played the better your roster was going to be because you would earn 5 stars. They were to be earned not payed for.

So after just going 0 for 19 in a row on tokens and having only pulled 10 5 stars with an additional earned as a daily reward I have to say damn this game has become a chore more than anything.

I feel like a freshman in high school that stayed back for two years because some two star teams have better 5 stars than me. Getting to 800 in pvp and then getting hit like no tomorrow and having to rely on cupcakes to get to 1300 just doesn't sound like fun anymore.

It's like hey you have been a dedicated player for two years and how can we make your life even worse let's make broken characters that kill the top end of the game. let's screw with mmr that 2 star teams can q cupcakes at 200 but I am at 900 and can't q anything. It's like pvp was a lot of fun before 5 stars were introduced.

I feel like your pushing people back to pve but yet again (by also killing px as well)it's a health pack drain and 5 stars win there too. I wish that some of the developers would take a top tier 4 star team and see how awful it is to play the game. That climbing from 800-1100 hitting for 150. You can shield and spend more money or try to fight throw it.

It's like American gladiators but no one told you the rules. Well I got to say rng has killed all I cherished about the game which was having fun learning to play with new players but now that doesn't matter because it's a 5 star world and if you don't have any your going to be a third year freshman and nothing to show about it.

Well that is my rant. It had to be done and hopefully I am not the only one that feels this way but thanks for the 5 stars that bully the freshmen and take our lunch money. Maybe I can earn a free lunch one day when the game isn't a chore anymore and the game is fair again.

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    The five teams that I have in my shield queue for retaliations are:

OML 4/4/2 level 405
    4hor 5/3/5 level 278
    Pho 4/5/3 level 420

OML 5/5/3 level 450
    Pho 5/5/1 level 405
    Carn 5/5/3 level 274

JG 5/3/5 level 271
    OML 4/1/3 level 374
    Surf 3/3/2 level 360

OML 4/4/3 level 420
    Pho 2/3/2 level 344
    4Poo 5/5/3 level 282

OML 4/4/2 level 405
    RED 3/5/5 level 277
    Surf 2/5/2 level 390

That's pretty much 100% of the typical battles I have to face from 0 points up to 1300 points in PvP and 0 to 2000 in Shield.

My best characters?

Surfer 5/2/2 level 390
    OML 2/1/1 level 315
    Elektra 3/5/5 level 272
    Jean Grey 5/3/5 level 272
    4Pool 5/5/3 level 270
    Ice 5/5/3 level 270
    Thing 3/5/5 level 270

I can still win with a team of Surf/4Pool/OML against any of those teams about 70% of the time. I will usually take a lot of damage, but all those OML's make for decent fodder for my 4Pool counter tokens. So long as I can prevent OML from transforming, I won't lose any of those battles.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Keeping all 5*s under 350 until i have 2 covered properly.. I use my lvl 315 1/1/2 OML daily in all PVP's, and can get to 800+ before having to face a max 4* team, or anything over a lvl 270 5*. In Ssim, anything over 350 or so won't even q in my MMR.
  • Macro - my roster is weaker than that. 330 max 5 star, only 2 270 4 stars. After the feeders, I don't see any characters below 275 in ssim. Ever. So the fairness gods don't play fair in this game, clearly.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    With a team of healthy 5s you can climb to 2k+ points in PVP without getting hit even once and all it takes to get them is a little luck! Fun! icon_lol.gif

Too bad i'm on the lower end of the RNG stick.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm also beginning to see OML non-stop. Yet mine is unuseable at 2/0/4, because you need yellow to offset red. Meanwhile as others have said, these max 5*'s are just cake walking to the top. I don't have the time to take out a 40K hp OML while doing a shield hop.
  • Pats0132
    Pats0132 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Phaser the issue its only going to get worse. I think this is way worse than any other over played characters out there. Here are some quick fixes to start with:

1)Only allow 1 5 star per team till they are fixed.
    2)fix the match damage because dealing 7 times more damage than four stars is a tiny kitty
    3) bring down the health to be more in balance with 3 to 4 star progression.
    4) make the changes like c mags. Went from broke to still a great character
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the concept of having only one 5* per team. This could help balance the game at the top level (not that I care about top level icon_e_biggrin.gif 0/1/1 OML doesn't qualify there).
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doesn't matter to me if someone has one 5* or three. I can't compete with either, thanks to rng. This solution might help people with standard luck compete with lucky people, but it does nothing to help people with **** luck. But it's not as if anything COULD be done. The devs made this bed... I've either got to lie in it or find a different hotel.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    i just got hit in LR by two guys. One's named player name removed and he had lvl 435 OML 5/2/5 and a Championed (!) SS lvl 454 3/5/5. And the second person has a lvl 360 SS 1/3/3.

All my characters levels are less than 175 including 4*.

Cakewalk indeed.

Mod Edit: Removed player name
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Not sure if I'm alone in this, but I find 5* characters extremely boring. The reason I like to play this game is to find various cool teams that feed off each others powers (ie Xforce Wolverine and Xforce Deadpool, Kingpin and Scarlet Witch...Elektra/Patch/Doc Ock...I could go on and on), making teamwork and cool effects central to the gameplay. 5*s do not need ANY of this strategy. You can wipe out entire teams of maxed, boosted characters without ever firing a single power. To me, that's lame, and boring. I have a few of them (1/1/3 Surfer, 2/1/1 Jean, 3/0/0 Logan) but I'm not leveling them, and I don't ever play them. The 3-4* game is vastly more interesting to me, where you actually have to use strategy, clever team selection and most importantly, super powers! Simply matching 3 tiles to do the same amount of damage as many characters actual super powers is dumb in my mind...
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    The funny thing is that the devs have always said that they want to keep people from using the same characters over and over again. They nerfed XFW and 4Thor because everyone was using them.

So what do they do? They create characters so powerful that once you have one that's playable, you have to use it in every single fight. If you have a 7-9 cover OML, why would you use anyone else ever? So now the balance they wanted to create has been completely destroyed. People with 5*s are forced to always use them because everyone else is. And people without 5*s are screwed because they can't beat the 5*s.

Now I will say that I have been able to still get to 1k in PvP while just using my maxed unbuffed 4*s. I see a lot of 5*s, but unless they have more than 7 covers, I can still beat them. I haven't bothered trying to get to 1300 because I don't want to spend the hero points to do it. So I can't speak to going that high in PvP.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    I want to add that top end PvP is pretty broken due to 5*. They are now dominant thanks to buyers clubs and have essentially been purchased by people who have the means and the dedication to buy them. Seeing championed!! 5* is not uncommon. For someone like myself who opened in total 80~ LTs and pulled five 5* covers across three different characters it is painful to see. To say that I am behind is an understatement. They are now completely and utterly dominant and can float/hop/climb with impunity.

Worse yet, the one place where we now need to go to collect ISO - the Lightening Rounds - are even WORSE. Due to the tight clustering of points the 5* dominates even more in LR because now the MMR is such that everyone is visible. Running maxed/buffed 3* and maxed 4* no longer matters because you will get hit 3-4 times 100% of the time and will never place well.

Sad to report, but the 5* have indeed broken the game. I can trace it back to the unveiling of the command points that brought about this avalanche and it gets worse every single day.
  • Phaserhawk
    The combination of Line Coordination, Buyers club, and other factors have taken PvP scores where 2K was a rarity, to just massive scores. 1300 would always get me top 25-50, now it barely cracks 100. Something is seriously going on when I can't even compete to the same level without the inside track of 5*'s. I could probably get 1500 or so if I did timed shield hops, but eventually I'm going to hit that wall of 5*'s and I can't get past them, and that's with fully leveled and championed guys.

4* boosts need to get here yesterday.

If the devs would do the 4* buffs they promised when SS got released, I guarantee you would see the scores come down as now 4*'s are competitive again.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    If the devs would do the 4* buffs they promised when SS got released, I guarantee you would see the scores come down as now 4*'s are competitive again.
    It simply isn't possible to buff 4* characters to the point that they can slay Gods, and make no mistake: SS, OML, and PHX are Gods in this game. That was made crystal clear when they ran the SS demo node a while back. SS could single-handedly slay 3 of the strongest, cover-maxed 4* characters in the game and come out of the battle at full health. He, and OML, and PHX, are completely broken by design, and no amount of buffs to any other characters can fix that.

(Not sure about BB Spidey since he has no healing but he still suffers from the massively over-scaled match damage 'problem' which lets him handily curb-stomp most anyone below him.)
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Pats0132 wrote:
    So I have been debating for a long time to write on the forums again but decided it was time to make another entry into the negativity but it's needed. It might be venting or might not be but it's something that had to be done. After, playing this game for over two years, I was getting excited again for the game with the changes that were coming. That the more you played the better your roster was going to be because you would earn 5 stars. They were to be earned not payed for.

So after just going 0 for 19 in a row on tokens and having only pulled 10 5 stars with an additional earned as a daily reward I have to say damn this game has become a chore more than anything.

I feel like a freshman in high school that stayed back for two years because some two star teams have better 5 stars than me. Getting to 800 in pvp and then getting hit like no tomorrow and having to rely on cupcakes to get to 1300 just doesn't sound like fun anymore.

It's like hey you have been a dedicated player for two years and how can we make your life even worse let's make broken characters that kill the top end of the game. let's screw with mmr that 2 star teams can q cupcakes at 200 but I am at 900 and can't q anything. It's like pvp was a lot of fun before 5 stars were introduced.

I feel like your pushing people back to pve but yet again (by also killing px as well)it's a health pack drain and 5 stars win there too. I wish that some of the developers would take a top tier 4 star team and see how awful it is to play the game. That climbing from 800-1100 hitting for 150. You can shield and spend more money or try to fight throw it.

It's like American gladiators but no one told you the rules. Well I got to say rng has killed all I cherished about the game which was having fun learning to play with new players but now that doesn't matter because it's a 5 star world and if you don't have any your going to be a third year freshman and nothing to show about it.

Well that is my rant. It had to be done and hopefully I am not the only one that feels this way but thanks for the 5 stars that bully the freshmen and take our lunch money. Maybe I can earn a free lunch one day when the game isn't a chore anymore and the game is fair again.

This is the best thing written on the forums in quite a while.

Unfortunately, mpq does not care. 5*s with their illogical match damage and the fact mpq went back on the best principle of 5*s (originally, they were not supposed to be whaleable) means precisely this is how they intended the game to become.

This is another thing that sounds great from a design perspective (like the original galactus gameplay); however, players experience it in a totally different manner.

I would guess the problem is exacerbated because op characters and up characters have not been balanced due to neglect and because 5* strength seems to be exponential, not linear.

Don't worry. If you liked only 5 health packs, og sex goddess, or 2.5 hour pve clears, you'll love this new feature.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    The combination of Line Coordination, Buyers club, and other factors have taken PvP scores where 2K was a rarity, to just massive scores. 1300 would always get me top 25-50, now it barely cracks 100. Something is seriously going on when I can't even compete to the same level without the inside track of 5*'s. I could probably get 1500 or so if I did timed shield hops, but eventually I'm going to hit that wall of 5*'s and I can't get past them, and that's with fully leveled and championed guys.

LINE coordination is an interesting factor. In Teenage Riot, I saw that take someone with a 3* roster to over 2k (I'm assuming the other factor was a steady diet of cupcakes, but I don't know that for sure). But in that same event, top-10 was over 3k in my bracket. Even then, though, my 1450-ish got me top-50 (and 1300 might still have done so), and I did that with level 215 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png s.

As far as the promised buff, my assumption has been that championing IS the buff. I'm not sure that you can collect those covers fast enough for them to help keeping up with star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png s, but I think that was the theory. It would be nice if the devs would comment on that, though.
  • Phaserhawk
    Dug this up
    IceIX wrote:
    Silver Surfer stats posted here.

Also, a couple notes before you go haring off. Or after you've been haring off and your eyes are still saucer shaped and sized:

Damage and health scales higher as you pass normal buffed 4* bounds. You may have noticed this already with 395s if you face them regularly. It's not linear.

Players will not be facing off against 450 Silver Surfers very soon. By the time that's any kind of regularity, 4*s will be buffed to be closer to a 5*s max power. We don't want to do 4* buffs quite so soon though since 5*s aren't really a "thing" yet. All that overbuffing them would do now would be to further blast 3*s and underdeveloped 4* rosters into dust. That's fun for the tippy top that are there, but for the *vast* majority of the player base, that's bad.

Match damage is as written, those aren't typos. 5*s start around 4* power at 255 and go up from there. Protect tiles are a thing you may want to think about.

You probably notice that covers aren't as effective as on other rarities. This is by design. 5*s are far more reliant on leveling than they are on covers. Covers will still give extra power, but they won't be doubling or tripling damage/healing from 4->5 covers.

I'm going to say that 450 Silver Surfers and OML's are starting to become a thing, so where is news on the 4* buff?
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Dug this up
    IceIX wrote:
    Silver Surfer stats posted here.

Also, a couple notes before you go haring off. Or after you've been haring off and your eyes are still saucer shaped and sized:

Damage and health scales higher as you pass normal buffed 4* bounds. You may have noticed this already with 395s if you face them regularly. It's not linear.

Players will not be facing off against 450 Silver Surfers very soon. By the time that's any kind of regularity, 4*s will be buffed to be closer to a 5*s max power. We don't want to do 4* buffs quite so soon though since 5*s aren't really a "thing" yet. All that overbuffing them would do now would be to further blast 3*s and underdeveloped 4* rosters into dust. That's fun for the tippy top that are there, but for the *vast* majority of the player base, that's bad.

Match damage is as written, those aren't typos. 5*s start around 4* power at 255 and go up from there. Protect tiles are a thing you may want to think about.

You probably notice that covers aren't as effective as on other rarities. This is by design. 5*s are far more reliant on leveling than they are on covers. Covers will still give extra power, but they won't be doubling or tripling damage/healing from 4->5 covers.

I'm going to say that 450 Silver Surfers and OML's are starting to become a thing, so where is news on the 4* buff?

It will be in either the patch notes or preview thread for the next version release. Honest guv'.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    After leveling a couple more 4*s to the 190+ range am seeing lots and lots of 5*s, it's getting difficult, maybe next to impossible to compete with that tier of players
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Phaserhawk wrote:

I finished KK at 1350. 51st place. 1351 would have gotten me 50th. icon_e_smile.gif