Let's talk about daily rewards.

2»

Comments

• mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not a "suggestion" per se, but would you guys be happy with yet one more thing that is completely random? What if your daily "login" reward was just completely determined by a random roll on a drop table? I've seen other games do it this way too. For instance, it could look something like this...

40% 500 iso
    20% heroic token
    15% 100 hp
    10% 3* cover
    4% 20 CP
    4% 4* cover
    2% 5000 iso
    2% 500 hp
    1% 10000 iso
    1% 1000 hp
    .5% 5* cover
    .5% 100 CP

I just made these up on the fly, so they may not even be good suggestions. But the foundation is random rewards with a drop table, just like opening a free token every day with these contents (something like a free anniversary token every day). Would you guys go for this or would you prefer the set rewards we have now with the useless random rewards in between?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    mohio wrote:
    Not a "suggestion" per se, but would you guys be happy with yet one more thing that is completely random?
    Does anyone really think the game needs MORE random at this point??? Good lord...
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like your idea Mohio, much better than mine. The main thing I fear is Demiurges ingrained stinginess. For all but the most casual player a few thousand ISO is a drop in the ocean but for some reason they have it in their minds players that are a few hundred days into their game may be happy with a couple of hundred.

Many f2p games that I play use a continuous log in bonus system and for the 7th day the reward is usually a lower tier premium item, not currency but an actual item. Not sure how this would apply in MPQ terms as most would desire a cover, but something worth a few thousand HP would be too much but due to the randomness of tokens they wouldn't suffice either.
  • mohio wrote:
    Not a "suggestion" per se, but would you guys be happy with yet one more thing that is completely random? What if your daily "login" reward was just completely determined by a random roll on a drop table? I've seen other games do it this way too. For instance, it could look something like this...

40% 500 iso
    20% heroic token
    15% 100 hp
    10% 3* cover
    4% 20 CP
    4% 4* cover
    2% 5000 iso
    2% 500 hp
    1% 10000 iso
    1% 1000 hp
    .5% 5* cover
    .5% 100 CP

I just made these up on the fly, so they may not even be good suggestions. But the foundation is random rewards with a drop table, just like opening a free token every day with these contents (something like a free anniversary token every day). Would you guys go for this or would you prefer the set rewards we have now with the useless random rewards in between?
    I like the idea, but for the average player that would be bad. Imagine rolling a 5* on day 2 (or damn near any day in the first year for most players).

The problem with daily rewards is that they can't work for everyone. Not everyone makes the same amount of progress in a day. Most of the players on the forums are probably putting in at least an hour/day 7 days/week, often more for those who grind PvE. My wife plays for maybe 30 minutes/day, 3-5 days/week. No daily reward structure is going to provide meaningful rewards for both of those players.

A "better" way of tuning it to everyone is to remove the "daily" aspect of it. CoC has player levels that you progress through earning experience for virtually every little thing you do as you play. The more you play the higher your level, and the better your reward. The same thing could be implemented here using combined character levels for example. The "xp" that your ISO grants characters could easily translate to some type of progression reward. Then the rewards could more closely match your needs as you transition through the game, because they would always be tied to your total in-game progress.

Honestly though, I think the daily rewards are fine. Who cares if you get a cover you don't need after a year of playing - you damn well need the ISO so just sell it and move on. At least now we have champions to help a bit.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    A "better" way of tuning it to everyone is to remove the "daily" aspect of it. CoC has player levels that you progress through earning experience for virtually every little thing you do as you play. The more you play the higher your level, and the better your reward. The same thing could be implemented here using combined character levels for example. The "xp" that your ISO grants characters could easily translate to some type of progression reward. Then the rewards could more closely match your needs as you transition through the game, because they would always be tied to your total in-game progress.

What about an experience "point" for each match, either PVE or PVP, with rewards tuned to be useful based on data they have accumulated so far?
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    on day 444 lets see how long till i get something i need

nick at 460 i guess is okay
    Thor at 490

woo i get my first eltrka pink at day 580

so only 140 days to go before i get something i need lol
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    MarvelMan wrote:
    What about an experience "point" for each match, either PVE or PVP, with rewards tuned to be useful based on data they have accumulated so far?

Even simpler. Total ISO spent.
  • MarvelMan wrote:

There's a thousand different ways you could do it. Or ways they could have done it should they have implemented it at launch. The problem with doing it now is similar to the daily reward problem that currently exists - how do you apply it retroactively and have it be fair to people that have been accumulating rewards for the past year as well as people just starting out.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you guys accepting personal anecdotes as a way to measure an average in a mobile game? icon_e_confused.gif Free To play at that, which have ALARMINGLY high rates of people playing for a day then uninstalling.

Even if you include the 1% that are having trouble with the first prologue mission and the ones who are maxed out on 5 stars right now and championed.

better rewards benefit EVERYONE.

The empty days are **** and random means hey have some of this boost you already have maxed out and can't have, aka NOTHING is your reward for today. Not like you could use iso or covers of marvel characters, you know, the entire reason we all play this game.

There's no way to be "fair" to people who've been playing since day 1. But thats not how the world works, and nothing can get better if you keep trying to make every single thing in game for the vets who haven't left. It will be fair because their rewards would be relevant. A vet wouldn't whine about missing day 100 scarlet purple, if they are 2 days from getting black spidey green 3 from 10K iso and 7 from 20 or 30 command points And if they do, they don't deserve anything either then I guess. Which would be sad to be such a whine over something you've no need for, and you'd probably say '500 iso' if it were a 10 pack thread.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the solution is simple: switch from a cumulative days style login reward (which we currently have), to a monthly or "seasonal" login reward (like almost every other game).

I've already made this suggestion before, but a Login Calendar that "resets" after each cycle (I'd suggest season + off week) is a much better fit - especially now that championing is a part of the game. This would also allow Demiurge to better tailor character release windows and theme events. Using the recently released Miles and Venom as an example;

First week: Run Heroic Venom to award Miles.
    Daily logins
    01 - 100 ISO
    02 - 1* Venom cover
    03 - 1* Spider-Man cover
    04 - 1* Venom cover
    05 - 1* Spider-Man cover
    06 - Standard Token
    07 - 25 HP

Second Week: Run an old PvE event; award 3* Spider-Man
    Daily Logins
    08 - 250 ISO
    09 - 2* Spider-Man cover
    10 - 250 ISO
    11 - 2* Spider-Man cover
    12 - 250 ISO
    13 - Heroic Token
    14 - 50 HP

Third Week: Run the new Venom Bomb PvE; award 4* Venom
    Daily Logins
    15 - 500 ISO
    16 - Heroic Token
    17 - 500 ISO
    18 - 3* Spider-man cover
    19 - 500 ISO
    20 - Heroic Token
    21 - 100 HP

Fourth week: Season Off-week, run a "Friendly Neighbourhood Brawl" theme PvP (buff all Spider-Mans, Venoms, Carnage, Doc Ock, and Kingpin)
    Daily Logins
    22 - 500 ISO
    23 - 3* Spider-Man cover
    24 - Friendly Neighbour Brawl Token
    25 - 1000 ISO
    26 - 3* Spider-Man cover
    27 - Special 4* Spider-Man Token (one cover, either Miles or Venom)
    28 - 25 Command Points

And now we're ready to reset for the start of a new season! This one might feature the rest of the All-New All-Different Avengers, which would give some room to feature Miles for a little bit longer (since he's a hero, rather than Venom), although there's no-one in the 2* tier that fits the theme right now. Those rewards are only suggestions for the kind of structure - increasingly higher tier rewards for the more days of the month/season that you log in - and I think maybe an implementation of this might have more tokens and a few smaller increments of Command Points throughout the month (maybe in place of the HP days?). Anyway, this is exactly the sort of login "advent calendar" that almost every other game uses. I can appreciate that the devs might want to be special little snowflakes who are unique and different to everyone else, but the whole point of the monthly login is that it can be tailored towards what's coming up in-game - it's not just a win for players (who will be getting more relevant login gifts) but also for devs (since it will actively promote player engagement - "login during Spider-month for your chance to win one of the two new 4* characters!" etc).

The only thing that this system would overlook is Devil Dinosaur. That's an easy solve:
    1. Devil Dino is no longer a joke character. He was introduced as a 4* character since he was a trophy that was not designed to be obtained through normal play. The 4* tier is no longer the "trophy-tier" but the standard tier of play (and fast being outdated by the 5* tier). Add Devil Dino to tokens as all other 4*'s.
    2. Gift players 3 Devil Dino covers over the course of the anniversary event. In fact, this new system allows you to stretch anniversary rewards out over the whole month. It's really not going to disrupt the perfectly balanced meta*.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    mohio wrote:

40% 500 iso
    20% heroic token
    15% 100 hp
    10% 3* cover
    4% 20 CP
    4% 4* cover
    2% 5000 iso
    2% 500 hp
    1% 10000 iso
    1% 1000 hp
    .5% 5* cover
    .5% 100 CP

Or to expand on this - turn the daily drop into a vault system. Have it in 200 day increments:
    • Days 1-200: standard tokens, heroic tokens, iso (min 100), hp (min 25), cp (min 5), specific covers for 1*/2*/3*
    • Days 201-400: heroic tokens, iso (min 250), hp (min 50), cp (min 10), specific covers for 3* & 4*, 2 or 3 Legendary Tokens (With the day 365-367 exception staying with Devil Dino)
    • Days 401-600: heroic tokens, iso (min 500), hp (min 75), cp (min 15), specific 4*, 5 or 6 Legendary Tokens
    • Days 601-800: iso (min 1000), hp (minimum 100), cp (min 20), specific 4* & 5*, 10 - 15 Legendary Tokens
    • Days 801-1000: iso (min 1500), hp (min 100), cp (min 25), specific 4* & 5*, 20 Legendary Tokens
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Simplest option for me would be to streamline the rewards and reduce their randomness:

Standard tokens and other trash should be binned,
    Iso rewards should be 500 (or better),
    Tokens and covers below 3* should be replaced with heroic tokens,
    Specific 3*, 4* and 5* tokens should be brought forward so that they come slightly faster than an average player would need them,

Each batch of rewards could be done on a weekly basis, you get 2 lots of iso, some hp, some cp, 3 or 5 health packs and 1-2 tokens with the 2nd token being replaced by a fixed cover after a certain amount of time.

To avoid the issue of giving 3* covers too soon or not giving enough, the focus should be on giving covers for the characters that are worth covering, both us and the devs are well aware of who the bagmans of the tier are and those could be excluded.