What 3* are you LEAST likely to Champ?

The Bob The
The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
We've had multiple threads on who you want to champion first, but who are you LEAST likely to champion? For me, it's a combination of two factors: The strength of the character, and the strength of its rewards (availability of covers also plays a role, but it's semi-random - aside from specific rewards - so it's not a good indicator).

(For this post, I'm focusing on 3* characters. They're accessible but require greater ISO commitment than 2*s, and their rewards feed specific chars unlike 4*s.)

Let's first assume most people aren't going to avoid champing a character they already have maxed. This would mean top-tier chars would be essentially a given for most regardless of rewards: Iron Fist, CMags, Thor, etc. You're probably going to max them anyway, so 7500 ISO isn't a big additional commitment for a free Legendary Token.

Below this, we have two categories that are roughly equal: Decent characters you'd like to champion, and lesser characters that offer (feed) a premiere 4* with their rewards. An example of the first is Rocket & Groot. They feed Star Lord, which is ... not compelling, but they're a good solid character with true healing and a massive strike tile set. An example of the second might be Beast. I know, I know, he's better now, but he doesn't exactly cast fear into the hearts of men. He DOES, however, feed Jean Grey, which is a pretty decent reason to bring him up.

What I'm wondering about is who you feel doesn't fit any of those criteria. Not top tier, not a compelling B-lister, and no impressive rewards. Who are the 3* characters who, short of winning the ISO lottery, are probably never going to see level 121, let alone become champions? Falcon, who feeds Flaptain, is the first that comes to mind for me. If I get some responses, I'll create a poll from the top (bottom?) fifteen.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    The lowest 3* I have is 128. I already have Falcon championed.

Squirrel Girl, probably? Maybe 3* Spidey?
  • So Squirrel Girl

Even Beast and Doc Ock have more value now
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Everything I have at 120 is unlikely to ever see ISO, now that it makes more sense to devote it to 4*s. All the usual suspects... QS, Vision, SG, Psy, Rags...

And boosted Beast is pretty damn good...
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nellobee wrote:
    The lowest 3* I have is 128. I already have Falcon championed.

Squirrel Girl, probably? Maybe 3* Spidey?

Already champed SG, so she is off the table, Right now IM40 and 3* Spidey, even though they give nice cover rewards... i just can't bring myself to level them.. even Sentry is going to go before them...
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Squirrel Girl, Sentry, and Rags would be my picks. I can't conceive of ever using them outside of essential nodes or events.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even though my HB is just 2/0/1... getting covers for him still seems hardly worth leveling and championing IM40... ugh maybe if I'm desperate and have Iso to burn...
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Definitely Quicksilver for me, and he's already level 140. But he's still the lowest level 3* that I have.

And I've already champed some questionable 3*s like IM40, Falcon and Rags.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've already resolved to only champ the top-tier 3*'s, at least for the foreseeable future. Cyclops, Panther, Kamala, etc. The rest will stay about where they are, or maybe get ~5 levels added when their PVP event swings around.

Least likely would probably be Hulk (more health = harder to trigger Anger) or Sentry (I hate that ALL of his skills do self-damage and never use him unless it's required).

I know the cool-kid thing to do is to **** all over Quicksilver, but while he's definitely bottom-tier, his skills are mostly just straight damage, so he'd benefit more than either of those two from additional health and damage.
  • The Bob The
    Tatercat wrote:
    Squirrel Girl, Sentry, and Rags would be my picks. I can't conceive of ever using them outside of essential nodes or events.

I thought the same, but both Rags and Sentry cough up Rulks, one of the top chars in the meta right now.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat wrote:

I thought the same, but both Rags and Sentry cough up Rulks, one of the top chars in the meta right now.

Actually it's Thor and Sentry who do that (if that Tips & Guides thread is correct), Rags gives X-23, who's not bad from what I've heard. (But not enough for me to champion him)
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rags, Mystique and IM40 (5/5/3). Beast is quite good when boosted, QS makes a fun winfinite team with PX and IF and SG's purple can be devastating against certain enemies. The three I first mentioned are neither good or fun to play with.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will champ them all!!! I've been making a spreadsheet to keep track of this. Just around 1.2 million iso left to gather so I can do this! Around 2 months at around 20K iso per day!

But of course I'll be spending iso on other things too, like boosts at the end of tournaments. So yeah!

My lowest leveled 3*s have been Iron Man, Psylocke, Sentry and Ragnarok, but they're all better in pvp when championed, so why not.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Not totally sure why anyone would champ Loki--his powers are completely independent of his level and you generally don't want him tanking any colors. However I could see the added health points. Similar could be said for Hood as I rarely use Twin Pistols or Intimidation and I never want that squishy dude up front.
  • Tatercat
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    Not totally sure why anyone would champ Loki--his powers are completely independent of his level and you generally don't want him tanking any colors. However I could see the added health points. Similar could be said for Hood as I rarely use Twin Pistols or Intimidation and I never want that squishy dude up front.

Depends where you plan on using them. I've kept Hood, Loki, and Falcon all around 120-130 range, for the same reasons you list, but that's because I mostly play PVE. In PVP, they are going to be targeted first, no matter what. So if you do use them in PVP, you might as well get the extra health to make them last longer by maxing them.

Plus, you might one day use them with a championed 4* or a 5*, who cover those same colors even when Loki or Hood are maxed.
  • The Bob The
    Tatercat wrote:
    Tatercat wrote:

Actually it's Thor and Sentry who do that (if that Tips & Guides thread is correct), Rags gives X-23, who's not bad from what I've heard. (But not enough for me to champion him)

Oops, my mistake. Thanks!
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Quicksilver and Iron Man 40 will be the last but I probably will eventually just to get the free LTs.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a feeling I'll champ IM soon. One is in Sim progression and I'll use that. One reason is he eliminates using one of my main 4*'s (HB). Another reason is LR's. Another reason is intuition.

Squirrel is -right up there- on the list to not champ. Psylock, Vision, Beast are ones that may not get champed.

QS and Dock Ock are at the very bottom of that list though.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is an exactly 0% chance I'll ever ROSTER Ragnarok, much less champ him.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    I'm pretty sure I'll eventually champion them all for PvP, so it's more a matter of priority for me. Which covers they give doesn't really factor in (for now, at least), but one other thing that does is how many strong builds there are.

For instance, Gamora (5/5/3 or 3/5/5, depending on tanking) and She-Hulk (5/3/5 or 3/5/5, depending on goon or Carnage presence) will be fairly soon so they can be freely respec'ed.

Bottom tier? Doc Ock, Bullseye, Ragnarok, Sentry. Maybe Squirrel Girl. Oh, and im40 is unlikely to get his third yellow, let alone be championed.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    I already had 39 of the 40 3* characters maxed before Champing was rolled out. The lone 3* left out is IM40, because I refuse to apply a 3rd yellow cover to make him 5/5/3.